Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Substandard posted:

Lego Worlds
Besiege
Axiom Verge
Caves of Qud
Factorio
Way of the Samurai 4

for the right price. I'd like Dirt Rally as well, but I don't think it's likely to get a big enough discount to fit it into my meager budget.

Lego world's is a really big sandbox where you discover things and walk around till you get bored, it really needs either online or workshop.. or both, it's food for a 7-10 year old but if you are mentally above that it won't hold your attention long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Palpek posted:

I should probably add Pillars of Eternity to my list but I just don't know if I can stomach an RPG in that style anymore. It's probably fantastic in its niche but if I need to read a ton of in-game books to understand the lore then something dies inside me.

If you're not fond of getting a 10-paragraph history of the world from Lord Infodump every time you enter a new area then I would recommend against PoE.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Palpek posted:

I should probably add Pillars of Eternity to my list but I just don't know if I can stomach an RPG in that style anymore. It's probably fantastic in its niche but if I need to read a ton of in-game books to understand the lore then something dies inside me.

I love that stuff. Unless it's Skyrim. Please stop using fonts that make it difficult for the eyes.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

tater_salad posted:

Lego world's is a really big sandbox where you discover things and walk around till you get bored, it really needs either online or workshop.. or both, it's food for a 7-10 year old but if you are mentally above that it won't hold your attention long.

They are eventually putting their own system in, but it hasnt been implemented to my knowledge. They DID just put in a first person mode. And it has online multiplayer, im pretty sure.

strategery fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 23, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

exquisite tea posted:

If you're not fond of getting a 10-paragraph history of the world from Lord Infodump every time you enter a new area then I would recommend against PoE.
I used to enjoy that in Baldur's Gate but nowadays if it's not a dialogue or if it's not at least somewhat amusingly written then I just don't bother. Basically those Silmarillion-like fantasy encyclopedia entries about some paradise land where they worship Dragon anuses or whatever are the worst.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Palpek posted:

And take The Evil Within off said list. You're better off replaying RE4 for the nth time.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Good luck gamers. :toot:

Think imma limit myself to 1-2 party/couch coop games this time.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5zGkqAWsWE

Farewell, my wallet...

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Does anyone have a list of games for couch multiplayer? They seem fairly rare on steam!

• Duck Game
  • Jackbox Games
  • Drawful 2
  • Rocket League
  • Battleblock Theater (2 player co-op)

Would be my top picks.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Palpek posted:

I used to enjoy that in Baldur's Gate but nowadays if it's not a dialogue or if it's not at least somewhat amusingly written then I just don't bother. Basically those Silmarillion-like fantasy encyclopedia entries about some paradise land where they worship Dragon anuses or whatever are the worst.

:shrug: it's not as bad as exquisite tea says but at the same time it's probably as dense as baldurs gate can be. The good part is you can skip it and get to the best CRPG combat has ever been in 20 years.

I'd say the first part of the game is pretty strong so you can try it out and see and then refund it if you don't like it!

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Palpek posted:

Yeah, I'd advise against PoE then. There's a huge amount of lore, much of which ties straight into the main quest. There's the odd bit of comic relief here and there, but the main quest is played completely straight. Also most of the dialogue isn't voiced, so you'll need to read dialogue as well.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mo_Steel posted:

Farewell, my wallet...

Duck Game, Jackbox Games, Drawful 2, Rocket League, Battleblock Theater (2 player co-op)

Imo only the first jackbox party game is worth it. The new art game in the second is just the most boring poo poo..

Drawful and Fibbage are great. Fibbage is in the second one but everyone wants to play Drawful forever

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 23, 2016

strategery
Apr 21, 2004

Mo_Steel posted:

Farewell, my wallet...

• Duck Game
  • Jackbox Games
  • Drawful 2
  • Rocket League
  • Battleblock Theater (2 player co-op)

Would be my top picks.

Also

Crawl
JumpJet Rex
Lego Worlds
Call of Duty: Black Ops 3
Worms (any of them, Im pretty sure)
Hammerwatch
Renegade Ops (I think)
Shoot Many Robots
Skulls of the Shogun ( Im pretty sure)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes I highly highly highly recommend if you're having a party soon. It is a whole fuckload of fun.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

strategery posted:

They are eventually putting their own system in, but it hasnt been implemented to my knowledge. They DID just put in a first person mode. And it has online multiplayer, im pretty sure.

Unless online is in their last update I haven't seen it. (June 22 post says they are working on it but it's coming "soon)

I know they are eventually adding mods but it's been like that for a year now. If it's 5bux it's worth the gamble for future improvement, as it stands now it's still a sandbox tech demo imo.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Does anyone have a list of games for couch multiplayer? They seem fairly rare on steam!
These are all great for hanging out with friends and doing some local multiplayer (often while drinking):

Niddhogg
Ultimate Chicken Horse
Speedrunners
Mount Your Friends
Gyrodisc Super League
Gang Beasts
Jackbox Party Pack #1 and #2

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Fishing for opinions here. I'm getting the Witcher 3 for 25 euro when it comes. After that I have 15 euro to spare:

What are the better 2d Zelda-clones out there?
What are the decent sandboxes that aren't 90% filler like Ubisoft fare?
Any good detective-story stuff like Her Story?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

If you like TDs then you really ought to pick up Defender's Quest they just released a remade version of it that's HD and is really a good remake. The gameplay itself is kind of a standard TD but it has RPG elements and a really entertaining and interesting story. The HD remake added in some dev notes so you can read the background info as well, though I think you have to do New Game+ for that. It ought to go for pretty cheap during this sale and it's really worth picking up since it's one of the best TDs out there.

Edit: For 2D point and clicks, Kathy Rain is a really good point and click mystery game. It's got horror elements and can easily get under your skin with its weirdness. There's a lot of influence from Twin Peaks and David Lynch works but it's really a great game.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 23, 2016

strategery
Apr 21, 2004

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Fishing for opinions here. I'm getting the Witcher 3 for 25 euro when it comes. After that I have 15 euro to spare:

3D Dot Heroes for PS3. If only it came to steam.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

What are the decent sandboxes that aren't 90% filler like Ubisoft fare?
Any good detective-story stuff like Her Story?

The ones that I can think of that are notable, but might require research are:

Hyper Light Drifter
Ittle Dew
The Last Tinker
Oceanhorn
and maybe Gurumin.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Infinitum posted:

Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes I highly highly highly recommend if you're having a party soon. It is a whole fuckload of fun.

When you print out the book print 2 extra covers and early split the other pages into three different books. It helps prevent that one guy who hogs the book all night.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Any games like Zelda 2? Because I LOOOOOOVE Zelda 2.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
As far as 2D Zeldy goes I found Oceanhorn really boring. Anodyne is one I enjoyed but it's a bit shallow and reliant on you liking its surreal atmosphere, plus its most interesting gimmick is postgame content.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Super Metroid

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

If you can stomach EA and Rogue-lite the Knight class (Complete with Downward Stab) from Vagante is basically Link from Zelda 2.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

poo poo, there was this game that looked interesting but I can't remember the name. It was like the Truth Puzzles from Assassin's Creed 2with some ARG elements. Something, black tapes?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
2 Hours left, the wait is unbearable.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Palpek posted:

I honestly can't get into the lore or the story at all. It's just pretty uninspiring.

Luckily Tyranny looks way better as far as that goes.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

BexGu posted:

If you can stomach EA and Rogue-lite the Knight class (Complete with Downward Stab) from Vagante is basically Link from Zelda 2.

That game should seriously be out of early access at this stage.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
Zelda 2 is pretty close to a Metroidvania but I would go out on a limb and suggest Shovel Knight for the best Zelda 2 recommendation.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
Well I have some (maybe) good news that might be relevant in the future.

EDIT: 2 hours.

Impressions Requests. Yes, I realize most of these are crafting games.:
Scrap Mechanic
Subnautica
Boundless
Bunker Punks
Craft the World

strategery fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 23, 2016

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

poo poo, there was this game that looked interesting but I can't remember the name. It was like the Truth Puzzles from Assassin's Creed 2with some ARG elements. Something, black tapes?

Nevermind, it' called the Black Watchmen. I've never heard anyone vouch for it, so it's a miss.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Rack and Ruin is a decent one where you play as an Invader Zim-esque bad guy. I had some fun with it, although I did get it in a bundle.

Fiblah
Jul 22, 2007
Need goon suggestions once again, you (rarely) let me down.

Thinking of either Pillars of Eternity or Divinity: Original Sin. They will probably be around the same price and I'm looking for a good isometric RPG to play.

Story is important, and I'm looking for a game I can spend a lot of hours playing. I saw the previous talk about PoE but I'm wondering how it compares to D:OS?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

PoE for story, Divinity for Combat.

Divinity's story is garbage.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

I've heard this is pretty much a love letter to Zelda 2.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

For Zelda 2 like stuff you can try The Curse of Issyos:
https://www.locomalito.com/curse_of_issyos.php

It's free and by that dude who did that excellent Ghouls & Ghosts love letter Maldita Castilla

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Bruteman posted:

I've heard this is pretty much a love letter to Zelda 2.

See, I posted because I sort of remember a game that was described as such, and figured someone here would know. This was it. Wishlisted, thanks! :toot:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

WhiteHowler posted:

These are all great for hanging out with friends and doing some local multiplayer (often while drinking):

Niddhogg
Ultimate Chicken Horse
Speedrunners
Mount Your Friends
Gyrodisc Super League
Gang Beasts
Jackbox Party Pack #1 and #2

I'd also add Assault Android Cactus for a really fun and polished twin stick shooter

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS
PoE has some strong companion stories too. A few were underdeveloped, leaving me wanting more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Fiblah posted:

Need goon suggestions once again, you (rarely) let me down.

Thinking of either Pillars of Eternity or Divinity: Original Sin. They will probably be around the same price and I'm looking for a good isometric RPG to play.

Story is important, and I'm looking for a game I can spend a lot of hours playing. I saw the previous talk about PoE but I'm wondering how it compares to D:OS?

Both have enjoyable combat and will keep you busy for a long time.

I didn't care for Pillars' story, but if you don't mind reading thousands of dialogue lines as well as loredumps, you may appreciate it.

Divinity's story is... well, it's poo poo.

• Locked thread