Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

This summer, please remember to keep your spending habits in check!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Well, let's just hope that YNAB is part of the sale then!

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Roger Explosion posted:

gently caress that if you got it spend it!

Time to sell a kidney!

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Roger Explosion posted:

I don't need a budget unless it's -66% off.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Golden Goat posted:

For Zelda 2 like stuff you can try The Curse of Issyos:
https://www.locomalito.com/curse_of_issyos.php

It's free and by that dude who did that excellent Ghouls & Ghosts love letter Maldita Castilla

Thanks for this. I played the poo poo out of some of Locomalito's games, including Maldita Castilla and this looks super cool. The video reminded me more of Battle of Olympus and Rygar and such though.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

One thing Pillars has over Wasteland 2 is that you don't spend six months in character-creation.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Give me a reasonable price on Dragons Dogma

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

EVIL Gibson posted:

Drawful and Fibbage are great. Fibbage is in the second one but everyone wants to play Drawful forever

Good news!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'd forgive Hyper-Light Drifter's 30fps cap if it goes for a tenner.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

My budget is $8 and I hope to get three indie platformers with that.

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008
Dragon's Dogma at $15 would be my bet, doubt it'll go any lower, but I'd say if you're interested in it at that point it's a solid buy.

I'm hoping the White March expansion pack drops to the GOG sale price from early this week personally.

Also, if anyone is dumb and is buying Skyrim DLC for the "HD" version later this year, I think the Legendary GoTY pack now has the new price scaling so if you own most of the stuff in it, the pack SHOULD be cheaper.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Roger Explosion posted:

You Need A Budget Classic is so good, then they switched to cloud based bullshit and gently caress that forever. I hope they switch again before I can't run the app anymore and have to write my own.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

One thing Pillars has over Wasteland 2 is that you don't spend six months in character-creation.
I finished Wasteland 2, and quit Pillars until I have time to figure out what the loving is happening in fights. I can still confidently declare that Pillars is the better game.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
T minus one hour.

Pinball Arcade tables here I come.

I thought it was just flash sales that were gone, not daily deals?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

it's been said, and I agree, that Pillars is what you remember Baldurs Gate to be, and Wasteland 2 is what it actually was.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Harlock posted:

Give me a reasonable price on Dragons Dogma
It's already a reasonable price

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I played Baldur's Gate 2 for the first time about a year or two ago, and it legit was still really good tho. The original one any ways, the expansion was good but kind of a noticeable drop in quality IMO.

POE is great. It's not quiiiiite as massive as BG2 (although I haven't played the expansion) but it's more polished and it's story/choices are better I think.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

Mortimer posted:

it's been said, and I agree, that Pillars is what you remember Baldurs Gate to be, and Wasteland 2 is what it actually was.

As a person who never played Baldur's Gate but am considering getting it on my phone, tell me what this means.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Hey I did a whole month of reviews for adventure games on Steam a few months back, a good chunk of them being relatively recent. So if you're looking for recommendations here's a lot.

March of Adventure

Tales from the Borderlands

Aurion : Legacy of the Kori-Odan

Kathy Rain

Maggot Soup
Aug 18, 2005

Far Cry series question:

I'd like to play either Far Cry 4 or Primal; which would be the better option? I heard Primal uses 4's world so I'm probably just going to select one. Pros/Cons?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Maggot Soup posted:

Far Cry series question:

I'd like to play either Far Cry 4 or Primal; which would be the better option? I heard Primal uses 4's world so I'm probably just going to select one. Pros/Cons?

4 without question.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

I haven't played Primal but from what I saw of a quicklook on Giant Bomb, it seems like more crafting, which is nice, but the weapons didn't look as satisfying. I liked Far Cry 4 a lot. I think I 100%'ed it. Everybody loves Far Cry 3's villain and there seems to be a lot of people who compare him unfavorably to 4's, but I liked the villain in 4 a lot. The story had a nice political morality play about it.

e: Compare 4's villain unfavorably to 3's. Or however I should be constructing that sentence. They like 3's more than 4's.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Electric Lady posted:

I thought it was just flash sales that were gone, not daily deals?
wellllllll you see the truth is flash sales and dailies are both gone now and it's a week and a half or w/e of nothing but those 'here's three games, vote for one' things

i don't know about you nerds but i for one am excited for a week and a half of gta and bad rats sales

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Hell, if Bad Rats drops to a quarter I'll buy it.

I sold a bunch of TF2 items and cards I don't care about and now I have 7 bucks in my Steam wallet. I'm so ready

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

attackmole posted:

I played Baldur's Gate 2 for the first time about a year or two ago, and it legit was still really good tho. The original one any ways, the expansion was good but kind of a noticeable drop in quality IMO.

POE is great. It's not quiiiiite as massive as BG2 (although I haven't played the expansion) but it's more polished and it's story/choices are better I think.

Yeah, BG2 is utterly fantastic but it's also really easy to completely gently caress up character creation/team comp and get murdered in a lot of fights. On the other hand, it's as easy to solo the game with some of the most broken mix/maxer builds.

I remember we had a thread called "gently caress Baldur's Gate 2" (is it still around?) that started as a rant of sorts and ended up being a tip central where the most game-savvy goons gave tips to people just starting out.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I sold some DotA 2 hats because I finally got sick of the game so now I have $40 ready to waste on games I'll probably never play :toot:

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

Yeah, BG2 is utterly fantastic but it's also really easy to completely gently caress up character creation/team comp and get murdered in a lot of fights. On the other hand, it's as easy to solo the game with some of the most broken mix/maxer builds.

I remember we had a thread called "gently caress Baldur's Gate 2" (is it still around?) that started as a rant of sorts and ended up being a tip central where the most game-savvy goons gave tips to people just starting out.

Hook me up with that thread. (Also, can I read the plot to the first game and skip straight to the second? I hear it is the better game.)

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Maggot Soup posted:

Far Cry series question:

4. It is very similar to the amazing 3, builds on it a little with cool things (like riding elephants)

Primal got worse reviews deservedly as it traded guns for caveman weapons and was otherwise basically the same. Both good games but unless you have a boner for primitive era poo poo go with 4.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Hook me up with that thread. (Also, can I read the plot to the first game and skip straight to the second? I hear it is the better game.)

Archives dude

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3136028

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Obsurveyor posted:

You Need A Budget Classic is so good, then they switched to cloud based bullshit and gently caress that forever. I hope they switch again before I can't run the app anymore and have to write my own.

I just never upgraded and still use Classic. it is the best

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Edmond Dantes posted:

I thought it wasn't too hard, and especially got kinda easy by the end, but I've also played DnD 3.5 (which uh, isn't 2nd ed, but I mean you get the gist of it quick) before so I knew what I was getting into. The hardcore min-maxing stuff is wizardry to me though, I'm too dumb to plan multi-classes worth poo poo.

And yeah, I jumped right into the second and was fine. Just thinking "oh I got some demon blood in me" really covers most of the background knowledge.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Captain Magic posted:

I actually need a budget and couldn't figure out how to use You Need A Budget effectively. I am the worst at adulting.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Every season I secretly pray Valve goes "bam we've only got one game on sale and it's HL3."

I know, it's lame, but a man can hope.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Quidnose posted:

I actually need a budget and couldn't figure out how to use You Need A Budget effectively. I am the worst at adulting.

I blocked out like three hours and watched all their tutorials; they are pretty helpful. It took up time but now budgeting is something that makes me feel very secure and in control instead of like a tiny baby squealing and tearing through soggy bags of poop.

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 23, 2016

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Make a budget spreadsheet in Excel, problem solved

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Captain Magic posted:

Yes it is. I left it open once or twice overnight but mostly accurate:

:v:

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Obsurveyor posted:

Yes it is. I left it open once or twice overnight but mostly accurate:

:v:

why is it so great? do you get achievements for meeting your goals?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Fidel Castronaut posted:

If you get both, you can (with some minor tweaking) make BG1 run in BG2's engine, which makes it waaaay better. The bad thing about 1 is that it has low-level D&D 2.0 combat, which is... not exciting. Remember not being able to hit Cliff Racers in Morrowind? Well, expect to see a lot of "miss" messages popping up in the combat log.
Also expect Being Waylaid By Enemies and having to defend yourself only to be 1-shot by a Kobold or having your party wiped in a single Cone of Cold by a Winter Wolf. :argh:
And don't even get me started on the loving wizard at The Friendly Arms. :argh:
2 (and its expansion) is still the better game by a long shot, but even after that rant I think 1 in 2's engine may be worth a run, especially if you can get all of them in a pack or somehting.

attackmole posted:

I thought it wasn't too hard, and especially got kinda easy by the end, but I've also played DnD 3.5 (which uh, isn't 2nd ed, but I mean you get the gist of it quick) before so I knew what I was getting into. The hardcore min-maxing stuff is wizardry to me though, I'm too dumb to plan multi-classes worth poo poo.

And yeah, I jumped right into the second and was fine. Just thinking "oh I got some demon blood in me" really covers most of the background knowledge.
Some of the more hilariously broken poo poo, like a Kensai/Wizard dual class, which ends up having -2 to THAC0, like -1 armour class -without wearing armour, so you get to cast magic unimpeded- and dual-wileding the Hammer of Thunderbolts (sets str to 25) and the Celestial Fury, BUT some classes are just silly on their own, like BG2's Monk. Ooooh boy.

Oh, it's not demon blood you're literally the son of the God of Death :black101:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Accordion Man posted:

Hey I did a whole month of reviews for adventure games on Steam a few months back, a good chunk of them being relatively recent. So if you're looking for recommendations here's a lot.

March of Adventure

Tales from the Borderlands

Aurion : Legacy of the Kori-Odan

Kathy Rain
This guy's reviews are pretty good, I agree with most of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I just saw a sale discount pop up for a game, then refreshed and it was gone. WE'RE ALMOST THERE BOYS.

• Locked thread