Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I actually really like the heal of the Bloody Crow, because you know it's coming and he's not smart about it you can parry the heal and just slaughter him. Also he's an idiot so he'll throw the heal blocker and get himself, then become confused when he himself can't heal.

So my thoughts on the Bloody Crow are that he was a Crow Hunter who went bad. His gear is all trophies taken from those he's killed, which is why he's corrupt.

Finally it's not obvious but all the Ghosts are blind, and have their throats slit. Something very bad happened when the executioners came to Castle Cainhurst.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

Jalathas posted:

Bloothirsty Rando's trick weapon: Creeping Keyboard.

This is beautiful and canon.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Oh yeah, the Hunter rune has nothing to do with invasions. Like the other two Oath Runes in the base game, it alters co-op. If you get summoned by someone while wearing that rune, and that person is "blood-soaked" (has invaded and killed enough players or NPCs) then you're changed to an adversary (with a purplish tint!) who must hunt down that host.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

That sounds less like retribution and more like a recipe for never summoning allies if they have to be invited first like they're vampires.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Good choice with the Beast Cutter; it's one of my favorite weapons.

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

UPDATE:

Episode 16: Time to go Full Anime

As a heads up, there won't be any updates next week, as I've been super loving lazy and have not edited anything past this point.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
I can't believe Bloodborne went full SoTN

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
Some of the soundwork in this game is just extraordinary (and awful). Those screaming ghosts - when you hear them sobbing after they've been triggered, you can hear the air wheezing through their cut throats. Aaaugh!

Also, I'm sorry, Full Anime won't happen until you get the Moonlight Greatsword. Ludwig is still more anime than you.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 28, 2016

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Meow Mix Meow Mix please reconsider.
Congratulations on achieving the good end of Alfred's Route, Bleaksol. Shame about how it turns out, but that's just how it goes with these visual novels.

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

I'm glad you added that scene at the end because that is some A+ voice acting from Alfred.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The sound design of this game is top-notch.

Jim Flatline
Sep 23, 2015

XainZero posted:

I'm glad you added that scene at the end because that is some A+ voice acting from Alfred.

Interesting to note, Alfred's voice actor is the guy who did Solaire in Dark Souls

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I wish you had showed dvac and the other person the Alfred dialogue you spliced in at the end. Would have loved to have heard their reactions to it.

Jim Flatline posted:

Interesting to note, Alfred's voice actor is the guy who did Solaire in Dark Souls

Also, appropriately, that voice actor (whose name I don't remember) voiced the character of Benton in the cyberpunk anime OVA Cyber City Oedo 808. In the episode that stars him, he ends up killing a man-made vampire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Q6AwrGUkQ

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

Genocyber posted:

I wish you had showed dvac and the other person the Alfred dialogue you spliced in at the end. Would have loved to have heard their reactions to it.

I actually did haha they reacted so little I actually just cut the small amount that was recorded.

quote:

Also, appropriately, that voice actor (whose name I don't remember) voiced the character of Benton in the cyberpunk anime OVA Cyber City Oedo 808. In the episode that stars him, he ends up killing a man-made vampire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Q6AwrGUkQ

This quote is still beautiful.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

So I actually have a theory about the good Martyr and the Executioners, I suspect that Martyr Logarius being the King of Yharnam isn't actually wrong.

The thing is that the Executioners, for all that the Church looks up to them and honours them, were not part of the Hunter's Workshop or the Church, they attacked Cainhurst by their own choice. Also all their gear and stuff is around Castle Cainhurst and of course Logarius has his crown and sits in a throne and in general there's a lot of weirdness going on. The Logarius Wheel and Executioner's Glove have a very similar magic fog, as does Logarius himself.

So my theory goes as thus, the King and Queen of Cainhurst, Logarius and Annalise, rule the Yharnam Valley and surrounding areas from their keep on an island in the middle of a lake. It's all very feudal you see, the civilians live in the valley and if they were to come under threat would flee to the castle for protection. Logarius however is a crusader king, and takes his band of Executioner Knights to hunt down foul heretics and monsters across the lands. It's during one of these crusades that the Byrgenwerth Scholar brings the Forbidden Blood to Annalise, who is told that she could become Queen forevermore and takes the Transfusion, thus the Vilebloods are born.

When Logarius gets back he sieges his own castle because his wife is now the sort of monster he goes out to hunt, he slaughters the other, decadent, nobles and when he finds Annalise cannot be slain takes up his own crown and uses it to seal the illusion of their throne-room.

Also you should put on the Knight's Helmet because it's very silly, it is a helmet made of silver with a lot of carefully carved engravings that blinds your character.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 29, 2016

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Jetrauben posted:

Also, I'm sorry, Full Anime won't happen until you get the Moonlight Greatsword. Ludwig is still more anime than you.

You misspelled "Lady Maria's jump mid-air dual katana blood-magic attack." Maria is peak Anime.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Trynant posted:

You misspelled "Lady Maria's jump mid-air dual katana blood-magic attack." Maria is peak Anime.

And we love her for it.

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

UPDATE:

Episode 17: Pixels (2016, feat. Adam Sandler)

Apologies for the internet issues when recording this, but, uh, not much I can really do about it unfortunately. It's watchable, thankfully, but still.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Smacking around the Beggar is certainly something you need to do at least once in your life.

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
That weird pixelating at the beginning of Yar'Hargul was some Final Fantasy random encounter poo poo right there. Also Kevin being a good boy but not a strong boy was amusing to me. He tries his best but then he gets stomped by an angry cannibal monster that has issues with authority figures.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ooh! Are you gonna use that key in the next episode? Because if so, it won't be too long before I can go into what I am most impressed with in this game!

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

UPDATE:

Episode 18: More like the Owned Reborn

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.

That's what you get for being a lousy cheater.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah, the transporting baths are the weakest thing, I thin, design-wise. There's no... build-up for it, and it is only at that place.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The Yahar'gul trio are in my opinion the worst Hunter fight in the game, even more so than the Bloody Crow. At least the Bloody Crow is a one on one and theoretically easy to parry or stun-lock. The Trio are primarily unexpected, you cannot see all three at once unless you come from a specific angle and even then that requires you to know they're coming, they cover each-others weaknesses and between them there is no range they cannot kill you from.

In general the second visit to Yahar'gul is probably the nastiest location in the game, it has the Hunter Trio, the Cramped Caskets and the Bell ladies. The Bell Ringers are a mechanic that unless you've been into the chalices you won't have encountered and the first time it can be very hard to realise what's going on, whilst the Caskets have a mechanic that makes them easier, even if it's almost impossible to notice the first time.

I suspect the bath probably has something to do with the messengers honestly, they can apparently travel unseen somehow and I wouldn't be surprised if the School of Mensis wanted to know how they do it. There's even a few similar things in the Chalice Dungeons, but they're "traps" for the players.

On the other hand the One Reborn is absurdly easy as a boss, especially if you know that you can go up and kill the Veteran Bell Ringers, who buff and heal the boss whilst throwing fire at you. It's also probably Pthumerian in origin, as the Bell Ringers are Pthumerian ladies and the Bagmen are also Pthumerians.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Are they? They're nowhere near as tall or pale.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Samovar posted:

Are they? They're nowhere near as tall or pale.

The Bell Ringers definitely, they appear in almost every chalice dungeon, have the grey/silver hair of the Pthumerians and are even described somewhere as being mad Pthumerians. Far more important though is the other common appearance, which is that they show up when you ring the Beckoning Bell which is a relic found inside the Chalice Dungeons.

My guess is the Beckoning Bell was originally taken from a Bell Ringer, violently, and when they hear you ring it they come above ground to retrieve it from you, using the only method they have. Calling allies to themselves from across time and space.

The Kidnappers are also tall and decrepit unlike the other church servants, plus they're also extremely common down in the Dungeons. I have a theory about what's going on in Yahar'gul but it probably isn't appropriate to share for quite a while still.

Notice that the normal Pthumerians are skinny corpse men, whilst the presumably well fed middle class leaders are grotesquely huge and fat, there's the keepers who are quite literally made of ash from some ancient ritual, the Undead Giants who are obviously similar to the Church Giants, and the nobility who all look like the church servants, or Logarius if he wasn't decrepit, and I can think of only one reason why Logarius isn't just dead yet and it makes him a little bit of a hypocrite. There's something very strange going on with people in Yharnam, and the Pthumerians are no different.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 12, 2016

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

UPDATE:

Episode 19: We're not gonna go there

Also, a thing that's interesting to note. Sony just recently increased the amount of time that you can record videos from 15 minutes to an hour. This means less chance for gently caress ups in terms of recording.

Unfortunately I already recorded the rest of the main game before that patch went live. This will make DLC recording easier though.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Hmm. Those Undergrads.....

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

You know, I always thought it was supposed to be pronounced 'Ah-mig-dallah', not 'Ah-mig-dahlah'.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

That's the pronunciation of the Body Part yeah, the Great One has a different name is the point I imagine. Also the Lecture Hall was probably part of Byrgenwerth all things considered, it even has the matching aesthetics and probably could've been over the lake, when it went to the Nightmare it left the walkway and thus there's a drop into the lake.

You have met two members of the Choir actually, although who they are isn't particularly obvious. My favourite thing about the Silverbeasts is how easy they are to gun-parry. Also of note is the head on the Frenzy Doll is made of Messengers and the Adult slug monsters appear to eat messengers.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
A horrifying touch - when you're first in this area after a kidnapper grabs you, that chanting music? It gets louder the closer you get to the door leading to "ground zero" of the ritual. It's not BGM, it's the ritual being conducted.

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

UPDATE:

Episode 20: Goddammit Patches

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh! You're so close to the point where I want to discuss the best part about Bloodborne mythos!

Also, that was the ballsiest take on those four werewolves in the big hall.

Also, 'Make Contact' is the theoretical way people are supposed to communicate with aliens, because it is supposed to demonstrate a basic right-angled triangle, and thus communicate that we can understand geometry, and are thus intelligent.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The Clocktower has a pretty interesting thing going on if you think of the DLC, the bridge in front has sounds like the rain or the ocean. So now you've seen the Choir garb one of the members of the Choir you've met is pretty obvious, it's the Hunter fight in Byrgenwerth.

The Orphanage Key is a bit weird, because it doesn't help you come in it lets you go out. Which means the building you fight the wolves and brainsuckers in is the Orphanage, and there's no children around. So my theory is all those babies out front are the Orphanage children.

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

UPDATE:

Episode 21: Cross Counter

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ah. Now we can talk about what I really like about this game; it manages to make a subject of body horror based off of... well, at the risk of sounding totally nuts... but feminine mystique but specifically pregnancy.

Now, the latter is pretty darn clear, what with the references to the Old Ones mourning for a child they can never have; the One Reborn being birthed from the moon, the nightmare newborn etc. etc. But the former is also present; the School of Mensis is probably the most blatant allusion, but the whole premise of healing blood in the game; all the blood comes from women. All the blood saints are women, and the healing blood vials you use for general health come from the daughter of the cosmos. And, to ram the point home even more unsubtley, what type of blood is associated with women and with the moon?

So yeah, the body horror of this game does rely a lot on birth and pregnancy and menstruation and yet... I can't say I've ever noted it being misogynistic. The women characters aren't patronized, demonized or demeaned specifically because of their gender. Like the male characters they are... well, characters, distinct and with their own drives. And THAT, in conjunction with the earlier stuff on the body horror of this game, surprised me and impressed me.

Oh yeah, the music used for the death montage? Here.

Edit: Respect will be 'shewn'? Bad job, transcribers.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 22, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I'm surprised you didn't try to target Ebby's head a bit more. She's not nearly as tanky if you focus there since you do like 4x the damage to it than any other part of her body. This is doubly true if you used the transformed Chikage for its sweet sweet blood damage. Didn't know she had a blindspot like that though, so that was cool to see.

Samovar posted:

So yeah, the body horror of this game does rely a lot on birth and pregnancy and menstruation and yet... I can't say I've ever noted it being misogynistic. The women characters aren't patronized, demonized or demeaned specifically because of their gender. Like the male characters they are... well, characters, distinct and with their own drives. And THAT, in conjunction with the earlier stuff on the body horror of this game, surprised me and impressed me.

That's basically my thoughts as well; it's female body horror without ever actually being misogynistic which is doubly impressive considering it's a Japanese development team.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Samovar posted:

Edit: Respect will be 'shewn'? Bad job, transcribers.
That confused me as well, but apparently "shew" is an archaic form of the verb show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I'd like to point out that Ebrietas wasn't being experimented on as far as I can tell, she willingly gives blood because the Church ask her nicely and Great Ones are sympathetic in spirit.

Also I disagree on the best method to fight Ebrietas, I personally find it easier to lock onto her head and stand in front and just dodge her attacks, partially because if you smash her face in you can visceral attack it. Admittedly the other thing is I use a weapon from the DLC to fight her which makes the entire thing hilariously easy for reasons which will become apparent.

Her name is also interesting, as Ebrietas is a type of butterfly, which if you look at Rom it looks more like a caterpillar then a spider in my opinion. Which I think means Ebrietas isn't mourning Rom, but it's own lost childhood.

Finally we know where the Vilebloods got their blood from, a scholar from Byrgenwerth took the forbidden blood to Castle Cainhurst and offered it to the Queen, who as we've discovered shares her corruption with others after this.

• Locked thread