Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
(Up to Video 14):
Aaaagh poo poo I literally never put the "borne" -> "born" -> 'themes of birth and literal babies' connection together before now. :doh:

Also you guys are a pretty great LP team. Hope you keep making videos together!

Edit: Did you/anyone in the thread ever spell out what happened to the little girl you sent to safety for the co-commentators?
Edit 2: Happened right after I wrote that. :doh:x2

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
(Still catching up...)

Commentators: [dead silence]
Mergo's Wet Nurse: [unfolds to reveal multitude of knife-limbs]
Compufreak: "...hmm!" :crossarms:

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
It hadn't occurred to me that the "curse" placed on Byrgenwerth by the inhabitants of the Fishing Hamlet (or their *aherm* matron) might've been, in fact, the curse of Beasthood. Is there any evidence one way or another? At first blush, I would've assumed the whole Hunter's Nightmare was the manifestation of their curse - unjustly falling on the Hunters, as "descendants" (through blood, of course) of the Byrgenwerth scholars who committed the crime. (Leaving Beasthood/the Scourge as just, y'know, one of those things. Exhibit #257 for why you shouldn't go around doping with Alien Squid God blood.)

Also: do we ever find out what exactly Byrgenwerth came for / took from the village? I remember it being pretty unequivocally stated that the whole blood-experimentation thing is kicked off by something they found in a Chalice Dungeon (Old One blood, presumably); so they must've been looking for something else in the Hamlet, right? Just more sources of weird blood to tinker with?

Panderfringe posted:

It's kind of neat how the hanging corpse at the beginning on the village is the same shape as the hunter's mark.

There are a lot of hanging-upside-down corpses throughout the game; someone (maybe VaatiVidya?) suggested that the Hunter's Mark may actually be directly representative of people executed/displayed in that way. Some sort of ritual method of disposing of beasts. (A thought just occurs: the victim is hung upside down and their throat slit - in order to maximize the amount of blood that can be collected from them. )

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Nov 24, 2016

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Yeah, that was a lot of talk about Shadow & H.P.L. to not once use the word "miscegenation."

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Think I said it before, but this was an excellent LP. Kudos all around.

And I agree with DVac - Bloodborne kind of straddles the line between "leave lots up to the players' interpretation" and "we just didn't bother coming up with answers to these questions," and for me it comes down on the unsatisfying side of that equation. I expect that it's a highly subjective sort of thing, how much that laissez-faire approach to world-building works or fails to work for a given person, but it's good to know I'm not the only one who feels a bit put out. Like, sure you can spin out some fun and crazy theories to sort-of explain everything and tie it together, and that's enjoyable in its own right - I just get the sense that Bloodborne maybe leaned a little too hard on the "it's Great Old Ones, I ain't gotta explain poo poo." Dark Souls had a lot of unanswered questions at the end, but still leaves the player with at least a sense of the general outline of the cosmology and metaphysics they just got done interacting with; in Bloodborne... not so much.

It doesn't help that the three endings are literally either "it was all a dream!" or two variations on "no Bleaksol, now you are the demons." And of all the things that happen to protagonists in Lovecraftian horror, "lol now ur an Elder God" is such a weird, tonally-discordant shift it almost feels like a self-parody. I dunno. :shrug:

I'll echo that this was a really good way to LP a game like this, with one knowledgeable player and some blind commentators. But one thing to note for next time (and I hope you all do a "next time"): Kobuddy kind of breezed past a few moments in the game that for a player on their first playthrough would've likely stopped and gone "whoa, something's up here." Most notable was the Cathedral, right before the Vicar Amelia fight - that's the first time (I believe...) that you start seeing some truly hosed-up religious iconography, in the form of statues that look very Amygdala-like. It's kind of the first big hint of the weirdness to come (and, if you ask me, just one more drop in the "problematic questions" bucket, i.e., "just how much did/could your average Yharnamite know about the Church+Blood+Hideous Invisible Space Monster connections?")

• Locked thread