Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Watching people react to the crazy poo poo in this game is great. But dealing with the slow and ponderous nature of a blind playthrough is not-so-much. So this gives the best of both worlds. Looking forward to future episodes!

e: Though I do not blame you for deciding to ignore the Chalice Dungeons for the most part, I do wish you would at least cover the Pthumeru line for its unique bosses for your friends to react to.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

It's really hard to hear the NPC dialogue. Might want to boost those bits of the game audio in future videos.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Highwang posted:

So one of the dudes 14 minutes in had a katana and I'm not gonna lie that looks really bizarre in this victorian era slasher flick.

I'm sure weebs existed even during the Victorian era.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

I'm surprised you didn't swap to your sword for the Snorbs to be honest. They flinch off everything and your sword swings fast enough that you shouldn't get hit by much at all.

It's also a better choice because the blobs are weak to thrusting damage which you can do with the sword r2. Probably would have oneshot them.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Highwang posted:

So do all the shadows summon giant snakes at the end or did you willingly choose to fight Orochimaru?

Whichever one is last can summon snakes. IIRC it's also tied to how much damage you've done to them overall, so if you try to game the system by bringing their health bars down concurrently then you'll face three teen snakes while one of them continually summons dad snakes.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Regarding the optional Gehrman encounters in the dream, I can give you footage for those if you need it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Samovar posted:

Ah, it should be pointed out that killing Rom did not trigger the changes, per say. Rom more... hid the effects of what Yarnham REALLY looks like.

Eh, it's a little of column A, a little of column B. As the note in the room before Oedon Chapel mentions, the Byrgenwerth spider holds all manner of rituals.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I wouldn't really call Arianna being a descendant of Cainhurst debatable. Aside from the dress there's the fact that she's got special healing blood which normally only Blood Saints have, and there's an item description later that just straight up says she has "corrupted blood" which is the term used to refer to Cainhurst blood.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Oh yeah, the Hunter rune has nothing to do with invasions. Like the other two Oath Runes in the base game, it alters co-op. If you get summoned by someone while wearing that rune, and that person is "blood-soaked" (has invaded and killed enough players or NPCs) then you're changed to an adversary (with a purplish tint!) who must hunt down that host.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I wish you had showed dvac and the other person the Alfred dialogue you spliced in at the end. Would have loved to have heard their reactions to it.

Jim Flatline posted:

Interesting to note, Alfred's voice actor is the guy who did Solaire in Dark Souls

Also, appropriately, that voice actor (whose name I don't remember) voiced the character of Benton in the cyberpunk anime OVA Cyber City Oedo 808. In the episode that stars him, he ends up killing a man-made vampire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Q6AwrGUkQ

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I'm surprised you didn't try to target Ebby's head a bit more. She's not nearly as tanky if you focus there since you do like 4x the damage to it than any other part of her body. This is doubly true if you used the transformed Chikage for its sweet sweet blood damage. Didn't know she had a blindspot like that though, so that was cool to see.

Samovar posted:

So yeah, the body horror of this game does rely a lot on birth and pregnancy and menstruation and yet... I can't say I've ever noted it being misogynistic. The women characters aren't patronized, demonized or demeaned specifically because of their gender. Like the male characters they are... well, characters, distinct and with their own drives. And THAT, in conjunction with the earlier stuff on the body horror of this game, surprised me and impressed me.

That's basically my thoughts as well; it's female body horror without ever actually being misogynistic which is doubly impressive considering it's a Japanese development team.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Re: durability in BB. Yeah, aside from the cursed gems with the negative side effect of increased durability drain, as well as the Tonitrus which suffers the same effect when charged up, durability is basically a complete non-issue. I think the reason that's true in most games is because it's something that's just kind of expected to have in an action-based RPG at this point, but most devs aren't willing to commit and make it an actual worthwhile thing since a lot of people hate durability mechanics regardless of how it's handled. The only game I can think of off the top of my head to handle durability well would be the two Shadow Tower games, also developed by FromSoft.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah it's important to remember that "dream" in this setting just means another plane of existence, one constructed by a Great One around some sort of host. Read "The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath" if you want to see the Lovecraft novel that's the primary inspiration for this sort of thing.

e: Also as far as timeline goes, that's one of the few things that's more or less fairly clear. As far as the organizations go, Byrgenwerth is the progenitor of basically all the bad poo poo that happens. From them a group of scholars led by Laurence defected due to a clash of methodology and formed the Healing Church. Byrgenwerth still continued their own research during this time, culminating in Rom's ascension and ultimately leading to the dilapidated state of the college when you get to it. Eventually the Healing Church had a schism of their own forming two more offshoots, the Choir and the School of Mensis, again over a difference in the methodology used to ascend to Great One-hood. The Choir and the School of Mensis seem to still be active at the start of the game, given that the false Iosefka is doing her thing and the School of Mensis is performing the Mensis ritual in Yahar'gul.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 4, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The bowl cut spider head is probably meant to be Petrus from DS1, since he and the Patches of that game were partners in crime.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Highwang posted:

Bloodborne really is the most anime thing.

I always wondered why people mocked Maria on some forums but man after seeing that she's a 2kat weilding fire dracula with infinity blood range. That's so hilariously cringy.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Samovar posted:

Wow that Living Failure fight was... horribly long. Are they resistant to whatever damage the wheel gives out?

The wheel's not all that strong of a weapon in the first place, but the Living Failures do just have a shitton of health. You're best off going for visceral attacks.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Highwang posted:

-For the lightning line spell, does it hit multiple times or just once? It almost looks like if you used it closer it would've done more hits. Also, is lightning cheaper than eyeball, cause it felt like the former was doing double the damage.

It can only hit each enemy once. That plus it's higher bullet cost (5 compared to the Eye's 1) makes it a poor choice unless you just want to do higher burst damage. Still really good for groups of enemies.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Compufreak was slightly incorrect with his Shadow Over Innsmouth summary. It was contact that caused the people of Innsmouth to become fish-like, it was generations of breeding with the Deep Ones resulting in most of the people bearing their blood and thus inevitably turning into fish people as they aged. Even the protagonist having a very slight bit of Innsmouth ancestry was enough to cause that to happen to him, eventually.

The women are snails are are possibly a soft reference to Junji Ito's Uzumaki.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Regarding Lovecraft and math, I'm fairly certain he was fine with Pythagoras and all that jazz. I think all the impossible angles and non-Euclidean geometry stuff was essentially his reaction to the more recent advancements in math, stuff like imaginary numbers.

Kobuddy posted:

Small correction of myself in the description; I'm pretty sure what I said in regards to Kos in this episode was wrong.

I don't think you are. I think it's pretty strongly implied that Byrgenwerth is directly responsible for the death of Mother Kos, with Gehrman likely being the specific hunter that did it. That's why the villagers put the curse of blood upon the hunters, why it targets all hunters (it was targeted at Gehrman and all his "children" which means all successive generations of hunters), and why Gehrman stops having nightmares once you've killed the Orphan, the source of the nightmare.

e: Also I will fight you on your opinion that the Kos Parasite is trash. It's a bit tougher to make good since it's very picky with regards to what blood gems are actually good in it, but even without good blood gems it's actually a lot stronger than its low AR would imply. Most of its attacks have shockingly high AR multipliers, with the R1s in both forms having 2.00+ multipliers. For reference, most other weapons move multipliers don't go over 1.5, and even the charged moves usually top out at around 2.0. You also didn't show off the L2 move which is pretty much the best spell in the game and makes the weapon worth using just as a slightly more complex hunter's tool.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 30, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mister Xenophobe posted:

I can't believe you got owned by a lovely music choice.

Also, Ragny would probably be shocked by how often mundane poo poo kills elder gods with Lovecraft.

Eh, at least if you're talking about Lovecraft's own stuff, actual eldritch abominations aren't ever unduly affected. I think the most that ever happens is Cthulhu getting pushed back into R'leyh by a steam ship but that's basically the equivalent of hitting the snooze button on his alarm clock. If something gets killed it's either the mortal offspring of an Old One, or some sort of alien being that is superior technologically to humanity but it still a living breathing creature that can be killed with guns and poo poo. And the humans involved usually end up going crazy anyway so even that's kind of a wash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Be wary: long post ahead

I disagree with Dvac's opinion that the DLC is necessary for closure. In fact I feel the exact opposite, that the DLC does a good job of being largely self-contained while relating to the base game in a significant way. All of the lore stuff brought up in the DLC is either entirely new (e.g. the Fishing Hamlet stuff) or an elaboration on something in the base game that wasn't exactly requiring elaboration. Like the reveal that the reason everything turns to poo poo is because of the Fishing Hamlet's curse of blood on the hunters is cool, but you don't need an external reason for everything to have gone to poo poo. It's perfectly reasonable that everything goes bad simply because that's what happens when humanity messes around with stuff beyond its ken. And I think that's very much intentional, the thing she mentions immediately after how Fromsoft intentionally cuts out stuff in a lot of situations to leave gaps for people's imaginations to wander.

One of the things I loved about this LP was your guests and their commentary on the game and the lore. The reactions to all the crazy and nasty poo poo of course, but also seeing them puzzle their way through the lore and the plot. When you have an LP like this it's usually done solely by someone who knows what the gently caress is going on, and LPs where the person playing the game is blind tend to ignore the lore entirely. So it was fun and novel having this one here where you had someone who knows what the gently caress is going on handling the reigns, with two idiots (I mean this in an endearing fashion) along for the ride trying to puzzle out what's going on.

Speaking about the game itself, one of the little details I really like is how a lot of the cast, and a lot of the important people in the game, are women. I think one of you even brought this up at some point. That's just a rarity in games and it's nice to see. The main reason I want to bring this up is to mention a strongly Bloodborne-inspired game that I really like, called Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight. It's a rare example of a game that is strongly influenced by Souls/Bloodborne without actually trying to be it. Atmosphere-wise it's strongly influenced by Bloodborne, but gameplay-wise it's entirely its own style of 2D action platformer. I strongly recommend checking it out if that kind of thing interests you.

• Locked thread