Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I personally think there are two sides to the chalice dungeons, the story ones which are pretty bad because you have to do them on every new character and they just aren't interesting, and the Root dungeons which are the randomly generated ones, and those are actually pretty fun. You just have to get through the awful pre-made ones to get to the actually fun and interesting stuff.

You actually missed a second character you should talk to, especially as they have some pretty amusing special dialogue. Talking to Iosefka and getting her blood vials enough times causes her to flirt with you, however it has to be before you kill Papa G and get into Cathedral Ward for pretty obvious reasons.

It's not particularly easy to spot but the Villagers are turning into animals too, they have elongated limbs and furry faces for this reason. Most of the Rally/Regain stuff is roughly the same bar two obvious examples in the base game and one in the DLC. Blades of Mercy has tiny rally and Burial Blade has huge rally, the Beast Cutter also has absurdly small rally.

Also this looks to a promising and fun LP, I really enjoy watching one person who knows what they're doing lead people through games, and Bloodborne in particular has some probably great moments coming up because of what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Tollymain posted:

funnily enough, i think the keepers are all supposed to be female

interested to see an approach to the game that's neither incredibly skilled nor mostly blind

e: video sound seems pretty quiet in general, i have difficulty hearing y'all talk sometimes and i can't hear the game at all usually

Yeah, the hunters have a female death cry and the boss uses a female walk cycle.

I'm still surprised they didn't make a pvp thing built around defending the chalices, it would certainly have made them more interesting. Then again I've heard the original plan was for this to be an entirely single player game bar the notes, which is why the multiplayer is so underdeveloped compared to Dark Souls.

Also I thought it was a bit unfortunate you didn't let the Scourge Beast kill you, it's thematically appropriate and makes the Hunter's Dream cut-scene a lot cooler. Admittedly it seems your co-commentators worked out what was meant to happen when they saw the cut-scene so it's not a big deal.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

See this is where my earlier comment is really interesting, because you missed talking to Iosefka before Papa G your commentators have missed some important context for the decision between the church and the clinic.

The difference between the real Iosefka and the impostor is noticeable even now. Iosefka refuses to let anyone in and is adamant that the only thing she can do to help is give you specially prepared blood vials, the impostor meanwhile seems to not know who you are and will let people in but will never give you the blood vials. There's also a subtle difference in the voice, as if someone knew enough to do a passable impression but isn't quite getting it right.

The messengers are the best, they're incredibly cute for tiny skeleton babies.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Only the male beast patients are afraid of fire, the females with the hoods aren't. Also you should totally make the vampire thing true when/if you get the option. As of now you're just a Hunter.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

You can still actually talk to Gatling Guy at this point. Seeing Paarl resets Djura's aggro the first time, and then as long as you don't come from the front you can be friends, which includes warping in to the Church of the Good Chalice bonfire and doing the second half of the level backwards.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

There's a pretty easy way to tell if a piece of clothing will work for the Nun or not, it's based on the healing shawl. Any article of clothing from a set in which the chest-piece has the holy shawl will work, which is why Gascoigne's work but most other hunter based sets don't. It also might just be chest pieces but I cannot remember, although seeing as you're wearing Gascoigne's hat it probably is just chest pieces.

Also you might want to bring up that you don't drink blood at all, the vials are pressure injectors you slam against your leg and the idea behind rally regain is you bathe in the blood and it seeps in through your wounds. It's all kind of medical to be honest. I hope you revisit Yahar'Gul soon as there's stuff you can do there to make a later section far less stupid.

On Kidnappers my preferred method of fighting them is get them down to the transformation point and then back-stab visceral, as that will usually kill them. With your build that might not be the case and eventually you'll probably want to just charged heavy attack staggered foes, as visceral attacks scale off skill not strength.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Specifically the Church Giant's knee pops out of his skin and he has to shove it back in. Interestingly Henryk might be Gascoigne's father in law as well as Hunting Partner, as the young girl makes mention of a mother, a father and a grandfather, so he's either literally related or a very close family friend and the literal relationship makes more sense to me. Would certainly explain how Gascoigne met Viola, if she's the daughter of his Hunting Partner/Trainer.

Vicar Amelia is absolutely one of the road-block fights, and particularly interesting is she's very much shaped like a Cleric Beast. I'm of the opinion that like the female/male beast patients are the same sort of transformation Vicar Amelia and the Cleric Beast are the same thing but different genders of it.

Now we learn that Laurence had one goddamn job and failed, nobody fears the Old Blood in Yharnam. They revel in it. Time-line wise that memory is probably about 100-200 years ago, at least in my opinion. Based on how many generations of Hunters there's been in Yharnam. We've met members of about 3 so far; Djura, Eileen and Henryk are from one, Gascoigne and Alfred are from the next and you're from the latest. We've heard of another generation, Ludwig.

I hope you do the DLC at least before the Workshop burns because there's some dialogue you can't get at that time, and it gives some very interesting information about some of the bosses.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 19, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

So here's my thoughts on Djura, as you can learn from specific dialogue he once dreamt of the Hunter's Dream. So I reckon he did your job on the night of the Burning, by leading the Powder Kegs into Old Yharnam for a reason revealed in the DLC.

However that night was a horror show from start to end, and afterwards Djura can't bring himself to hunt any more beasts after putting Old Yharnam and it's people to the Torch. Thus he watches over something he believes to have been his fault, he protects the beasts of Old Yharnam along-side his ally so that no one else will hurt those he's already traumatised.

On that note you should buy Djura's clothing and show it off, it's pretty good looking. Also at the end there you sadly missed some dialogue, as the woman there talks about the Witches Abode if you go during sunset. Also the name is amusing, because much like Hypogean Gaol is literally underground jail, I'm pretty sure Charnel Lane is literally "place where bones are stored" Street.

Finally my favourite horror game is specific parts of Bloodborne, and my favourite Tim Burton movie is Nightmare before Christmas.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 25, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I'm pretty sure that the paper stuff is that it's special oil paper. The Fire Paper is probably oil paper that's designed to spark when you rub it on a weapon, so that the weapon is lit up. The Bolt Paper was made by Archibald, much like the Tonitrus and Spark Hunter Badge, so I'm thinking it's covered in Oil retrieved from Darkbeast Paarl's zombie corpse, and instead of lighting on fire when the paper sparks it produces the Blue Lightning.

Also Paarl's lightning goes away when you break any of his limbs, which is a mechanic for most of the larger monsters in the game. If you manage to break his head you can also Visceral his skull, but that's harder than just smashing a leg and then swapping sides so he's permanently stuck on the ground. Finally there is another thing the Spark Hunter Badge does, it unlocks Bolt Paper in the store, which is kind of important for later as some of the nastiest bosses in the game are weak to Bolt.

The fact that you're using the Kirkhammer shows off limb breaking quite nicely, as I'm pretty sure Blunt Weapons count as more damaging for this purpose, in return for less health return on hit.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I'm pretty sure that's a cutlass. Also the way you get to befriend Djura is just seeing Paarl. If you've already killed the Blood-Starved Beast you can warp to that lantern and come up from behind too. You just can't come through the front because when neutral that makes Djura mad. When friendly it doesn't but you have to go befriend him, and if you kill any of the Beast Patients he gets mad again.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

There's a mildly amusing thing about the Gravegaurd set, whilst most of it is where you found it that one item above is the hat. Thus Dores was decapitated and his head ended up above his body.

I'm surprised you didn't swap to your sword for the Snorbs to be honest. They flinch off everything and your sword swings fast enough that you shouldn't get hit by much at all. Finally the Snakes themselves are parasitic in nature, they lay eggs in living or dead humans and that's where the men with snake heads come from, the really big ones are presumably super ancient ones.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The AI for summoning snakes is different for each shadow. The ranged one does it the least because he can always attack you, the two melee guys do it when you aren't close enough for them to swing at.

Funnily enough this makes the one with a candle the most likely to summon snakes because he actually doesn't have as much range on his sword as the other swordsman, who can whip out snakes like extended arms.

So the Oedon Writhe comes from the nun and the sedative from the old lady, if you'd sent the guy who does the opposite I think you get a different sort of rune and the cannibal gives Beast Blood Pellets. Also Iosefka's Blood Vial drops from Iosefka, so who's talking?

The Chapel is actually entirely safe, unless you send the cannibal there but he's pretty obviously a bad person anyway. The tell for Iosefka's Imposter is that she will let people in, which Iosefka herself won't, and that whilst Iosefka knows who you are if you talk with her and take enough blood vials the Imposter never knows you.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I personally don't mind the Iosefka Hunter fight. Admittedly I was using the Threaded Cane which in sword mode stun-locks most NPC hunters, so a lot of the fights weren't that hard.

Also this is Yurie, the Last Scholar. Who is studying the remains of the studies of Byrgenwerth. Henryk only shows up here if you kill him I'm pretty sure.

I guess Kevin will have to show off becoming a squid-kid, as you cannot get enough Cords for Sir Bleaksoul.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I personally find the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst easier than the Yahar'Gul trio, simply because I had the Threaded Cane and it nearly stun-locks him, and the game is better balanced for fighting a single hunter over three. Also I'm pretty sure he's meant to either be Eileen's master or her student, because he's got a pretty eclectic mix of gear but shares her cloak. The name is also pretty telling in my opinion. This is also why it's her fight, she knows him personally.

The main thing Rom does is open the doors to Yahar'Gul and make almost every high insight effect permanent. There's one other effect at like 90+ but it's really hard to notice.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Samovar posted:

Aw, poor Eileen.

Edit: Also, a sky-burial refers to the unusual, but interesting, funerary rite of systematically butchering the corpse of the dead so as to feed it to carrion birds.

I thought it was just leaving them on top of a really high place for the carrion birds, but that makes way more sense so cool to learn new things.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I actually really like the heal of the Bloody Crow, because you know it's coming and he's not smart about it you can parry the heal and just slaughter him. Also he's an idiot so he'll throw the heal blocker and get himself, then become confused when he himself can't heal.

So my thoughts on the Bloody Crow are that he was a Crow Hunter who went bad. His gear is all trophies taken from those he's killed, which is why he's corrupt.

Finally it's not obvious but all the Ghosts are blind, and have their throats slit. Something very bad happened when the executioners came to Castle Cainhurst.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 25, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

So I actually have a theory about the good Martyr and the Executioners, I suspect that Martyr Logarius being the King of Yharnam isn't actually wrong.

The thing is that the Executioners, for all that the Church looks up to them and honours them, were not part of the Hunter's Workshop or the Church, they attacked Cainhurst by their own choice. Also all their gear and stuff is around Castle Cainhurst and of course Logarius has his crown and sits in a throne and in general there's a lot of weirdness going on. The Logarius Wheel and Executioner's Glove have a very similar magic fog, as does Logarius himself.

So my theory goes as thus, the King and Queen of Cainhurst, Logarius and Annalise, rule the Yharnam Valley and surrounding areas from their keep on an island in the middle of a lake. It's all very feudal you see, the civilians live in the valley and if they were to come under threat would flee to the castle for protection. Logarius however is a crusader king, and takes his band of Executioner Knights to hunt down foul heretics and monsters across the lands. It's during one of these crusades that the Byrgenwerth Scholar brings the Forbidden Blood to Annalise, who is told that she could become Queen forevermore and takes the Transfusion, thus the Vilebloods are born.

When Logarius gets back he sieges his own castle because his wife is now the sort of monster he goes out to hunt, he slaughters the other, decadent, nobles and when he finds Annalise cannot be slain takes up his own crown and uses it to seal the illusion of their throne-room.

Also you should put on the Knight's Helmet because it's very silly, it is a helmet made of silver with a lot of carefully carved engravings that blinds your character.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 29, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The Yahar'gul trio are in my opinion the worst Hunter fight in the game, even more so than the Bloody Crow. At least the Bloody Crow is a one on one and theoretically easy to parry or stun-lock. The Trio are primarily unexpected, you cannot see all three at once unless you come from a specific angle and even then that requires you to know they're coming, they cover each-others weaknesses and between them there is no range they cannot kill you from.

In general the second visit to Yahar'gul is probably the nastiest location in the game, it has the Hunter Trio, the Cramped Caskets and the Bell ladies. The Bell Ringers are a mechanic that unless you've been into the chalices you won't have encountered and the first time it can be very hard to realise what's going on, whilst the Caskets have a mechanic that makes them easier, even if it's almost impossible to notice the first time.

I suspect the bath probably has something to do with the messengers honestly, they can apparently travel unseen somehow and I wouldn't be surprised if the School of Mensis wanted to know how they do it. There's even a few similar things in the Chalice Dungeons, but they're "traps" for the players.

On the other hand the One Reborn is absurdly easy as a boss, especially if you know that you can go up and kill the Veteran Bell Ringers, who buff and heal the boss whilst throwing fire at you. It's also probably Pthumerian in origin, as the Bell Ringers are Pthumerian ladies and the Bagmen are also Pthumerians.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Samovar posted:

Are they? They're nowhere near as tall or pale.

The Bell Ringers definitely, they appear in almost every chalice dungeon, have the grey/silver hair of the Pthumerians and are even described somewhere as being mad Pthumerians. Far more important though is the other common appearance, which is that they show up when you ring the Beckoning Bell which is a relic found inside the Chalice Dungeons.

My guess is the Beckoning Bell was originally taken from a Bell Ringer, violently, and when they hear you ring it they come above ground to retrieve it from you, using the only method they have. Calling allies to themselves from across time and space.

The Kidnappers are also tall and decrepit unlike the other church servants, plus they're also extremely common down in the Dungeons. I have a theory about what's going on in Yahar'gul but it probably isn't appropriate to share for quite a while still.

Notice that the normal Pthumerians are skinny corpse men, whilst the presumably well fed middle class leaders are grotesquely huge and fat, there's the keepers who are quite literally made of ash from some ancient ritual, the Undead Giants who are obviously similar to the Church Giants, and the nobility who all look like the church servants, or Logarius if he wasn't decrepit, and I can think of only one reason why Logarius isn't just dead yet and it makes him a little bit of a hypocrite. There's something very strange going on with people in Yharnam, and the Pthumerians are no different.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 12, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

That's the pronunciation of the Body Part yeah, the Great One has a different name is the point I imagine. Also the Lecture Hall was probably part of Byrgenwerth all things considered, it even has the matching aesthetics and probably could've been over the lake, when it went to the Nightmare it left the walkway and thus there's a drop into the lake.

You have met two members of the Choir actually, although who they are isn't particularly obvious. My favourite thing about the Silverbeasts is how easy they are to gun-parry. Also of note is the head on the Frenzy Doll is made of Messengers and the Adult slug monsters appear to eat messengers.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The Clocktower has a pretty interesting thing going on if you think of the DLC, the bridge in front has sounds like the rain or the ocean. So now you've seen the Choir garb one of the members of the Choir you've met is pretty obvious, it's the Hunter fight in Byrgenwerth.

The Orphanage Key is a bit weird, because it doesn't help you come in it lets you go out. Which means the building you fight the wolves and brainsuckers in is the Orphanage, and there's no children around. So my theory is all those babies out front are the Orphanage children.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I'd like to point out that Ebrietas wasn't being experimented on as far as I can tell, she willingly gives blood because the Church ask her nicely and Great Ones are sympathetic in spirit.

Also I disagree on the best method to fight Ebrietas, I personally find it easier to lock onto her head and stand in front and just dodge her attacks, partially because if you smash her face in you can visceral attack it. Admittedly the other thing is I use a weapon from the DLC to fight her which makes the entire thing hilariously easy for reasons which will become apparent.

Her name is also interesting, as Ebrietas is a type of butterfly, which if you look at Rom it looks more like a caterpillar then a spider in my opinion. Which I think means Ebrietas isn't mourning Rom, but it's own lost childhood.

Finally we know where the Vilebloods got their blood from, a scholar from Byrgenwerth took the forbidden blood to Castle Cainhurst and offered it to the Queen, who as we've discovered shares her corruption with others after this.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The Hunter on the bridge is Choir Intelligence Edgar, which is why he uses the Auger of Ebrietas, although whether he is a part of the School of Mensis who provided intelligence on the Choir or the reverse is unknown. The people with helmets are called Mergo's Attendants, with the fat ones being Chief Attendants.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Micolash always runs away from the direction you come from, so you have to run at him from the opposite direction to the one you want him to go.

Also actually fighting him is a bit similar, he has exactly 3 attacks and they're all based on how far away you are. If he cannot hit you with Augur or fists he uses Call.

Mensis constructed this part of the dream, but I do know it's intentionally set up like the Cthulhu mythoos. Where the Dreamlands/Dreams/Nightmares are another plane of existence inhabited and shaped by the Great Ones.

Also School of Mensis is newer than Byrgenwerth, as they were part of the Healing Church founded by Laurence he learnt under Willem, the master of Byrgenwerth.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 4, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Honestly one of the little things in this game I really appreciated was when I learnt the trick about the naming of the Shadows of Yharnam, although it's impossible to realise without completing the chalice dungeons.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

So a neat thing about the Wet Nurse. It looks like a monstrous rendition of the Shadows of Yharnam, almost as if it was made by a childish imagination of what the Shadows of Yharnam are.

Also the big thing about the goal of this game is each human organisation has an end goal. But you the player came to Yharnam for healing and got caught up in this mess accidentally. So for the most part your goals are defined by Gehrman, who early on suggests where to go, or a singular note at the beginning of the game. Seek Paleblood to transcend the Hunt.

When you talk to Gilbert it's implied you ask about Paleblood and he sends you to Cathedral Ward to ask the Healing Church about it. Everything else sort of flows from their on the critical path. All the side things are your character being interested in learning more about Yharnam and seeking knowledge of the world.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Zonko_T.M. posted:

I'm with Devil Ed on this, the ending seemed to just sort of pop up out of nowhere. Dark Souls was like that to a certain degree, in that you could meander and stuff, but you still had an end-goal. I know there's the thing about the paleblood and Gherman telling you to go do stuff, but I have no idea why killing the wetnurse triggers Gherman saying, "Hey buddy, time to go home!"

Killing the Wet Nurse, and therefore dealing with Mergo, ends the Hunt because it was Mensis making contact that led to it being all so bad. There's other stuff going on but the critical path is as follows. I actually have a specific theory as to why it's based on killing the Wet Nurse but that's built on true ending knowledge and DLC so I'll share it then.

Wake Up --> Seek Paleblood to Transcend Hunt --> die to werewolf in the Clinic --> enter the Hunter's Dream and acquire weapons --> Go to Central Yharnam and talk to Gilbert, leading to Cathedral Ward --> Kill Gascoigne because the back way in is the only one that works --> get to Vicar Amelia either by buying the Emblem unlocked by killing Cleric Beast or the side alley unlocked by killing BSB --> Learn about Byrgenwerth --> Go to Byrgenwerth and get pointed towards the lake by Willem --> Kill Rom and make contact with a pregnant woman --> arrive in Yahar'Gul --> fight through Yahar'Gul to the Advent Plaza --> Enter Nightmare of Mensis shaped by both Micolash and Mergo --> make Micolash wake up and forget everything --> get to the top of Mergo's Loft and make contact with a woman who's given a violent birth at some point --> Kill the Wet Nurse and slay a Nightmare, who's is not yet known --> accept your death and wake up to a Yharnam Sunrise.

Everything else is optional and your character desiring something other than to finish his contract and end this Hunt. Even choosing to fight Gehrman and replace him is just you taking pity on a lonely, tired old man and freeing him from the Dream by taking his place instead of him freeing you.

Gehrman isn't saying hey buddy time to go home, he's saying your contract is complete and your job done. Time to be freed of the Hunter's Dream as Djura and Eileen before you were. Djura presumably was contracted on the night Old Yharnam burned and accepted his death and awakened to go and be a hermit protecting beasts. I don't know what Eileen was contracted by the Dream for but she completed it and woke up to hunt down Hunters who turn to blood-lust instead of staying on the Duty.

Remember that the various Hunter's Workshops exist outside the Dream, the Original Workshop we visit was presumably where Gehrman lived when he was the First Hunter, the Dream is just based on his memories of that workshop I'm pretty sure. Much like the Nightmare Frontier and Nightmare of Mensis are based on real world places, just more consumed by the Dreamlands.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 14, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

So I wanted to point out that Mergo was never a human child if you work out exactly what's going on. Mergo is what Annalise was trying to do sort of, a baby born of the union between Great One (Oedon) and human (the ghost lady). It's not definite but it is deeply implied by the chalice dungeon lore and Cainhurst Vileblood stuff.

Also there's a neat thing about Beast Patients, in Old Yharnam they're afraid of fire, specifically torches. In the Hunter's Nightmare they're afraid of Hunters in general.

You missed a drop from one of the Old Hunters, specifically a Vermin from one of the Boom Hammer Hunters. The ones who drop that are very specific and I think marks which ones are Hunters of the Dream dragged into the Nightmare instead of just one of the ten a penny hunters recruited from the Yharnam populace.

Perhaps the saddest thing about the Hunter's Nightmare is we never get to meet Gascoigne again, who was Blood Drunk and thus absolutely should be somewhere within the Nightmare.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

whowhatwhere posted:

Wasn't he a beast, though? Wouldn't that make him not a hunter anymore, or am I misunderstanding the lore?

He was still a Blood Drunk Hunter, and becoming a beast just means he let certain parts of his nature, the Blood-lust and wolfish mentality of hunting if you will, take over.

Also being a Blood Drunk Hunter isn't the actual reason you go to the Nightmare, that comes up right near the end in a rather round about way, but Gascoigne counts for both reasonings anyway.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 20, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Samovar posted:

That was one rude mansquito at 09:42.

Edit: Actually, the sun really reminds me of a... particular type of eye disfigurement? Damned if I can remember what it is called, though.

This is entirely intentional, as the key item for entering the DLC is the Eye of a Blood Drunk Hunter. In which the pupil has collapsed and turned to mush, a sign of the onset of the Scourge of Beasts. Make what you will of the fact that the DLC sun looks like such a pupil.

Also on the note of the gender of the Great Ones. Ebreitas is the daughter of the Cosmos. The Wet Nurse is pretty obviously female by name, except in my opinion there's something very weird going on with the Wet Nurse, which is that it's not a real Great One, it's a manifestation made by Mergo (Nightmare Newborn) based on the Shadows of Yharnam as protection. Rom is never gendered in game but I think was called female by one of the developers. Amygdala is called Lord by Patches, which suggests masculinity but might just be him going on about his god. The Emissary and friends I'm pretty sure are the members of the Choir, or experiments on children and as such likely contain both men and women. Oedon who is described in a few runes is said to be male, but exists only in voice and maybe blood. I think Mergo is also suggested to be male.

So whilst there's a nearly even split so far in regards to lore you've fought all of the definitely female Great Ones and none of the definitely male ones.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 24, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I've always liked the theory that the Amygdala is one consciousness over a very large number of bodies, and the one you fight is the Prime body so to speak. It's interesting that unlike Mergo's Wet Nurse and thus Mergo he doesn't give a Nightmare Slain message, possibly because you haven't actually slain the Amygdala, merely removed a hand or leg.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

So I actually agree about the Horse thing, I think Ludwig would ride his horse around and intentionally give off the image of a proper holy knight instead of a shady Hunter like Gehrman, who would be his predecessor in leading the Hunters of Yharnam. But of course in a hunt a Horse is as likely to be harmed as a human, and being a good owner Ludwig would treat it with the Healing Blood as he would himself, and when they turned they turned together fusing into one being.

Ludwig's original human head is the Silver-beast looking growth growing out his neck, and that's why they have 8 limbs and 2 heads and such, because their were originally 2 creatures into one. This is also why the personality transformation happens, Ludwig remained inside his head and the Horse took control for the most time, but when you hit him hard enough which mind is in control swaps.

I'm a little sad you didn't get the other bit of dialogue from the campy guy, as he talks about how Ludwig died a true hero, with his ideals intact and that he earned that much at least. Which is interesting because he did indeed die a true hero, as himself defending the secrets of his masters and thus for a certain value of hero he died as such.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 27, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Kobuddy posted:

Tbh, it's mostly 'cause I just assumed that always happened. Like I've said in one of these DLC videos, I've only played through the DLC once, and the first time through I answered him the opposite way (which caused Simon to show up and shove an arrow in his eye).

I think Simon always does it just based on if you warp in and out enough times, but I'm not sure and you definitely have to have been to the top of the elevator to get it to occur I'm pretty sure.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

So the Sunflower thing is actually pretty interesting, because Sunflowers follow the sun through the sky. Now these are actually called Lumenflowers, as this is the Lumenwood garden and downstairs is the Lumenflower gardens. Of note is that the Lumenflowers look a lot like closed Sunflowers, so they might actually be a special breed attuned to the celestial energies just as normal sunflowers would appear to be attuned to solar energy.

Samovar posted:

Wow that Living Failure fight was... horribly long. Are they resistant to whatever damage the wheel gives out?

Edit: Hah! Does Maria hold her gun to the side when she shoots?!

They are actually resistant to arcane I'm pretty sure, also yes Maria holds her gun side-ways. Anyone using the Cainhurst gun Evelynn does the same thing, so it's specifically a Cainhurst thing.

Other interesting things about this fight, she has a few moves that are very similar to things Gehrman does. She also has two unique visceral attack animations, which are either hugging you close and whispering in your ear or kissing your cheek. Both of these are done whilst she's got her hand deep in your gut and then she tears it out of you.

Edit: On the note of Laurence being on fire, you'd think this would mean fire is ineffective against him but no it still works. Furthermore I'm pretty sure he's permanently ablaze because he was the reason Djura and the Powder Kegs burnt Old Yharnam to the ground, and thus he burned with it.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 16, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I personally think the city below the ocean is just the Hunter's Nightmare, not Yharnam itself. But that's probably not a particularly important distinction at this point. Also there's a little more than just Byrgenwerth experimenting on the villagers, and weirdly enough I don't think it's them who the curse is applied to actually, even though they're the ones behind what happened.

Also you've given your co-commentators incorrect information about Maria and her Rakuyo. She hated blood blades which is why she uses the Rakuyo and not the Chikage, she threw it down because she could stomach the Rakuyo no longer, which suggests she grew disgusted with the lifestyle of a Hunter and possibly what happened at the Fishing Hamlet. The fact that she uses Blood Blades in her fight even though it's a version of the Rakuyo brought forth from her memories suggests she really doesn't want you to see what happened at the Fishing Hamlet. She did something by force of will that usually requires a specially produced and ritually inscribed blade, so she must be a very strong Vileblood.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 23, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I'm pretty sure Mother Kos washed up on the beach, Gehrman killed the original Sweet Child/Orphan of Kos though. The curse is primarily targeted at Gehrman and his Hunter's though, and likely the Nightmare was originally the First Hunter's Nightmare instead of just the Hunter's Nightmare.

My other big thought about this all is that Laurence is also being punished because he was the scholar in charge of the trip to the Hamlet, and thus the one who ordered the assault and experimentation. Also that the reason Kos died and washed up on the beach was so that her child could live, as every Great One loses their child, Kos decided the loss would be her own death so that the Child could still live and yet be lost to her.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 1, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Which I assume happened during the burning of Old Yharnam, as the Chalice they originally used is found there in the modern day. So during the time of the Research Hall they only had second hand blood so to speak, nothing fresh only stuff already diluted and horded by the Pthumerians, all the work was to refine it back to as close to Great One as possible. Then they lose the chalice and can't access the dungeons until they find Isz and with it Ebrietas, who gives them pure Great One Blood and lets them succeed at creating the Celestial Emmisary, compared to the Living Failures of the Research Hall.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

So I personally think the empowerment of hunters to kill Great Ones isn't a personal goal of the Moon Presence, it's actually part of the original agreement made between it and Laurence. You can find lore in the game that says that Laurence and his fellows made contact with the Moon Presence, and from knowledge that Great Ones are sympathetic in nature I suspect that the request from Laurence was to empower people so as to keep the research of the Healing Church from ever self-destructing.

Essentially Laurence and Gehrman made a deal with the Moon presence, in return for Gehrman living as it's surrogate the Moon Presence will animate the Doll for him and empower Hunters to protect the Healing Church's future. Gehrman is waiting for Laurence's research to complete because Laurence promised to retrieve him when that had happened, alongside the Doll and possibly Maria because Laurence would be a Great One at that point.

On why it can't take control of you in this ending and why it's so weak I imagine it has to do with you being very nearly an infant Great One at this point, so instead of a lesser being it can control you're an equal it cannot. Particularly noteworthy is that Gehrman is missing a leg when sitting in the chair, and so are you after the ending where you kill him but get taken, so apparently the Moon Presence eats right legs. It being an easy fight is pretty nice all told because they are back to back and it's entirely possible that the Moon Presence has never had to fight much, it also looks mostly dead as it is so it's entirely possible that it is trying to heal from a long ago injury and that's why the Hunters.

Also the best description of this ending I've ever heard is as follows; "You're a kid now, you're a squid now".

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I personally disagree that Chalice Dungeons suck, most of the non-random ones are bad, but level 5 dungeons with all the additional modifiers are great and fun. Unfortunately they do require you to play through all the non-random dungeons, which is not fun to repeat. Mainly though the level 5 dungeons with additional modifiers are probably the hardest challenge in the game and so if you like challenge they're pretty good.

Although I will say that the biggest problem with the first few Chalice Dungeons is that most people did it way later than the game intends, because you're probably supposed to do it after you beat Blood-starved Beast. Isz and Loran similarly expect you to do it after beating Ebrieatas and Amygdala, respectively.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Dec 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I agree with Genocyber regarding the importance of the DLC, especially because I don't think the Beast Plague is the same thing as the Curse of the Fishing Hamlet. The Curse is why the Hunter's Nightmare exists, and is what drags hunters who are "descendants" (students or students of students etc) of Gehrman into it as punishment for what Gehrman and the scholars of Bygenwerth did. The curse only targets Hunters, and only those who can claim to be part of Gehrman's Hunter Lineage/Legacy. This is why there's no Vilebloods but Maria and no Executioners, neither group ever used Gehrman's teachings. The other half is the people who follow in Laurence, not Bygenwerth's, footsteps because I'm pretty sure he ordered the Hamlet massacre and then afterwards split because they didn't actually get much from doing so, hence there's no actual Byrgenwerth Scholars but there is the Research Hall, which Laurence ran. Also explains the lack of Choir/Mensis, as they're not yet taken and more importantly they moved so far from Laurence's teachings/style that they don't count for the Curse.

The curse isn't even why everything went to poo poo in Yharnam, that was flat out people messing with things they don't know, the Beast Plague in of itself is just a natural result of injecting yourself with Great One blood. It's not a Plague, the blood is in of itself trans-formative, the initial transformation is from an injured/sick human into a fully healthy one, and then it slowly turns you into other things based on who you are and what you do. Basically you take Great One Blood you are no longer human, as blood defines an Organism and your blood is not human anymore, thus from the point of view of the Cosmos you must be something else, and it slowly turns you into something else. Even those who remain relatively human, such as Logarius and the Church Servants/Giants, look more like someone's bad drawing of a human based on only an aural description.

The secret is the Caryll Runes, as we know those can define someone so much they become a Kin or a Beast. So the reason no Hunter of the Dream succumbs to Beasthood is that they literally can't, they already have a definition. The Hunter's Mark is a Caryll Rune that defines the Hunters of the Dream as exactly that, a Hunter. Other Caryll Runes modify who you are on a physical scale, hence they have a bunch of effects that can be described as literally modifying your body. Oath Runes over-write the Hunter's Mark partially, changing the nature of the Hunt. Vilebloods Hunt for Blood Dregs; Executioners Hunt for Vilebloods; Hunters of Hunters Hunt for Blood-addled Hunters; Kin Hunt for knowledge (relatively complicated side quest to unlock), Beasts Hunt for the joy of it (optional difficult boss).

Thus to become a Great One as the player does in the Childhood's beginning ending you need three things, enough blood to fuel the bodily transformation, enough Insight to know what you need to become, and to be described as a Great One due to surrounding effects. Namely you eat three third cords, which give you one full Great One Umbilical Cord and thus mark you as an unborn Great One. One final push to remove the Hunter's Mark, killing the creature that placed it upon you, and you ascend.

• Locked thread