Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Hi goons. Here's a gardening thread. I started a garden at my new house this spring and it's growing stuff! Here's a picture from a couple of weeks ago after mulching and staking the maters.

I have herbs and fruits, because peppers and tomatoes are fruits. Also I planted a blackberry bush, but it's behind the roses. Also gently caress roses; they're mean. And gently caress the yard. What has grass ever done for me?

I'm learning to compost correctly this year, too (that's what that green cylinder thing is).

Edit: "Post yer zones" I'm in hardiness zone 6b, which is a recent update, according to http://www.stlmg.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/whatsnew.detail/recID/19/index.htm

Go here to get your zone http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/phzmweb/interactivemap.aspx

psychokitty fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
hi im the neighbors dog

*fucks up all your poo poo*

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
now im your drunk friend

*pours last bit of beers all over your poo poo*

*pisses on your garden*

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

your thread is correct, OP

PANIC ON FUNKOTRON
Jan 7, 2006

EARL IS A FAT CUNT
South east England, wonky stripes.

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
now i'm a squirrel

*fucks up your poo poo beyond all recognition*

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx
try gardening your yard, OP!

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

roymorrison posted:

now i'm a squirrel

*fucks up your poo poo beyond all recognition*

I'll be in the squirrel blind.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Do you have pests? In the suburbs groundhogs are assholes

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

King of Bees posted:

I'll be in the squirrel blind.

You need to start public executions

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

ChrisHansen posted:

at some point in the late 90s my mom went to loving war on the chipmunks in our yard

took the hose to their burrows, flushed them out and captured them, then exiled them miles away from the house

it is only this year that they've summoned the temerity to tentatively scout out our domains once again

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My girlfriend and I fight over how much to water the garden. I loving hate her she's dumb.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
post yer 'zones bros

I'll be taking interest in this thread, will post pics this weekend when my garden isnt in such a shameful goddamn state, its time for growing season 2 soon anyways (I live in central FL, we have 2 active growing seasons but gently caress it can plant year round)

9b here bitches :heritage: :arnie: why yes it is January, just finished planting all the greens :smugdon:

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
im in the forbidden zone. unfortunately gardening is forbidden in this zone.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

FrankieGoes posted:

My girlfriend and I fight over how much to water the garden. I loving hate her she's dumb.

Have you mulched? If not, you should mulch. Also get rid of her if she wants to water more.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
I am allowed two pots on my porch. One is full of flowers that reseeded from last year and the other has 2 big ol mater plants in it. I will be so pissed if the deer get to them

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Raise that bed a bit to deter slugs imo.

e: good effort though especially if it's your first real crack at gardening.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

jBrereton posted:

Raise that bed a bit to deter slugs imo.

e: good effort though especially if it's your first real crack at gardening.

It's not my first attempt, but it's been several years since I've had my own plot.

This one is actually a few inches higher than the grass and level with the concrete pad. Haven't seen any slugs.

I haven't planted anything too intensive because I've had a serious cane grass problem that I've worked my rear end off eradicating all year (without poison) since we bought the house. Also there's a runoff issue around the right side as you look (where it's not freshly mulched) and I have a bunch of weeds and poo poo to deal with back there.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
My garden consists of a dead plant in a pot on my balcony, I'll post pics later.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

psychokitty posted:

Have you mulched? If not, you should mulch. Also get rid of her if she wants to water more.

i tried mulching with my wife once she hated it and i promised not to try it again

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

ChrisHansen posted:

I am allowed two pots on my porch. One is full of flowers that reseeded from last year and the other has 2 big ol mater plants in it. I will be so pissed if the deer get to them

I hope your maters are determinate. Please tell what variety.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

psychokitty posted:

We drip but she's always wanting to add more and when she initially planted some stuff she basically turned the whole thing into a mud hole and everything nearly died.

mr_cramalldees
Dec 14, 2015

Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
I sure hope those herbs don't up and decide to go all America on your plot there. In my past experience most herbs decide "gently caress your plans, all of this space is mine" and then my whole house smells like mint.

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party
Can anyone recommend a plant that will thrive indoors without a lot of sun? Maybe one that would be good at keeping me company. No cacti please.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

poopnanners posted:

Can anyone recommend a plant that will thrive indoors without a lot of sun? Maybe one that would be good at keeping me company. No cacti please.

crab grass

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
I'm in zone 6b (new england) and this year is mostly just flowers but i do have 9 tomato plants and two large blueberry bushes along with wild concord grapes (trained onto posts and wires) and wild blackberries

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

ChrisHansen posted:

Oh, as to this point. We are in the city proper. We have bunbuns and squirrels and possibly burrowing things, but none of them has seemed to wreak any havoc thus far. Something ate a few leaves of a bell pepper plant, but not really a big deal.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

psychokitty posted:

It's not my first attempt, but it's been several years since I've had my own plot.

This one is actually a few inches higher than the grass and level with the concrete pad. Haven't seen any slugs.

I haven't planted anything too intensive because I've had a serious cane grass issue that I've worked my rear end off eradicating all year since we bought the house. Also there's a runoff issue around the right side as you look (where it's not freshly mulched) and I have a bunch of weeds and poo poo to deal with back there.
Right on.

Used to have a wonderful garden but moved for work to somewhere with a pitiful yard :(

Had a peach tree that actually had peaches on it for a couple of years in northern England (although they were very small and almost instantly devoured by interested pigeons) and a good-sized pond that housed a few frogs that kept the slug population down, at least until they were brutally killed by ducks (cute but massively destructive - they dig up just about anything looking for food, and the oil that runs off their backs will ruin anything less massive than a lake).

You thought about putting some wildflowers down in the lawn to attract bees and stuff?

mr_cramalldees
Dec 14, 2015

poopnanners posted:

Buy some of these mushrooms, they yield like 5 times.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

poopnanners posted:

Have you tried marijuana and a grow light?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

mr_cramalldees posted:

I sure hope those herbs don't up and decide to go all America on your plot there. In my past experience most herbs decide "gently caress your plans, all of this space is mine" and then my whole house smells like mint.

It's mostly just mint that does that. Never plant mint anywhere but a planter or it'll end up loving everywhere. poo poo like basil and sage and whatnot don't get out of hand from my experience. Maybe Parsley can be kinda bad.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

poopnanners posted:

a ficus, I've had two for about 16 years now

or a philodendron

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

poopnanners posted:

Snake plants are insanely easy to grow. Once my mom forgot to water one for 3 months and it looked perfectly healthy

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

FrankieGoes posted:

We drip but she's always wanting to add more and when she initially planted some stuff she basically turned the whole thing into a mud hole and everything nearly died.

satisfy her water obsession by peeing on her face

edit: VVV gently caress deer, srsly VVV

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Hello, it's me, a deer.

*brings friends who devour everything, including the irritant plants and some plastic decorations*

*tramples the seed beds because why the gently caress not*

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

mr_cramalldees posted:

Ah yes... the mint plant. It's in a separate plot on the other side of the yard. But let me assure you that I DID NOT PLANT IT. I would NEVER plant mint in a garden plot unless I wanted it to take over. When you garden, you have to know what stuff behaves and what doesn't. So now, I have to pretty much constantly patrol my yard for mint sproutlings because I didn't catch it before it flowered last year.

I purposely planted creeping thyme in the back so that it would creep and help with the runoff, etc. We'll see.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

psychokitty posted:

Oh, as to this point. We are in the city proper. We have bunbuns and squirrels and possibly burrowing things, but none of them has seemed to wreak any havoc thus far. Something ate a few leaves of a bell pepper plant, but not really a big deal.

A little bit of chicken wire would keep pests away pretty nicely. Whatever got those pepper leaves will tell all his friends and soon you will be overrun

mr_cramalldees
Dec 14, 2015

FrankieGoes posted:

It's mostly just mint that does that. Never plant mint anywhere but a planter or it'll end up loving everywhere. poo poo like basil and sage and whatnot don't get out of hand from my experience. Maybe Parsley can be kinda bad.

I had that experience with mint (it took over my entire back yard, yard mowing became a chore as the minty sensation became so strong it would reduce me to tears) and now I'm super gunshy.

Now I just put every herb in a pot.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

jBrereton posted:

You thought about putting some wildflowers down in the lawn to attract bees and stuff?

One of those herbs is lavender. I've seen bees on it already a bunch. We also have milkweed growing on our fence, which the butterflies like.

Future plan is to keep bees and plant more lavender.

Also front yard plan is to have some native-scape involving wildflowers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

psychokitty posted:

One of those herbs is lavender. I've seen bees on it already a bunch. We also have milkweed growing on our fence, which the butterflies like.

Future plan is to keep bees and plant more lavender.
They're fuckers for anything blue-to-purple but especially lavender, yeah.

• Locked thread