Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

ChickenHeart posted:

Hello, it's me, a deer.

*brings friends who devour everything, including the irritant plants and some plastic decorations*

*tramples the seed beds because why the gently caress not*

Yeah we don't have deer in St. Louis City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

mr_cramalldees posted:

I had that experience with mint (it took over my entire back yard, yard mowing became a chore as the minty sensation became so strong it would reduce me to tears) and now I'm super gunshy.

Now I just put every herb in a pot.

Just do a little research first. Most herbs don't pull that poo poo, but anything mint-related will.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I have 144 lavender seedlings growing right now. Gonna redo the front beds with them.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

ChrisHansen posted:

Snake plants are insanely easy to grow. Once my mom forgot to water one for 3 months and it looked perfectly healthy

i tried planting the old snake plant in my wife. she hated it and made me promise never to try it again

mr_cramalldees
Dec 14, 2015

Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

mr_cramalldees posted:

Now I just put every herb in a pot.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I killed a spider fern

Aug 4, 2010

gardening is gay

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

King of Bees posted:

I have 144 lavender seedlings growing right now. Gonna redo the front beds with them.

HFS that's a lot of lavender!!!

JiveHonky posted:

i tried planting the old snake plant in my wife. she hated it and made me promise never to try it again

get new wife. check SAMart.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

www posted:

gardening is gay

gently caress you buddy

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

www posted:

gardening is gay

im gay

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
all jokes aside gardening is cool and my wife hates me

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

JiveHonky posted:

all jokes aside gardening is cool and my wife hates me
Grow a new wife then.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.
Gardening is fun and good.

In addition to pretty flowers and fresh veggies, you can easily sow some regular organic poppy seeds normally used for baking, which grow into opium poppies.

The fruit of life comes in many forms...

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
trying to grow things out of doors has taught me that nature is cruel and heartless and will kill things for no reason. the scythe of death spares no sprout. bugs will eat what the squirrels don't destroy and they will laugh at me

i hear them even now... away! away! no!!!!

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Behold my porch corn:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Raise beds, line them, put transparent netting over the top and you'll take care of most pests.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

jBrereton posted:

Raise beds, line them, put transparent netting over the top and you'll take care of most pests.

Get a squirrel blind and post your family on 24hr watch.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

ChickenHeart posted:

Hello, it's me, a deer.

*brings friends who devour everything, including the irritant plants and some plastic decorations*

*tramples the seed beds because why the gently caress not*

I did a lot of research after they razed all my hard work to the ground and meticulously planted things deer don't like.
I realized too late that "things deer don't like" does not equal "things deer won't eat", whose list includes precisely nothing.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

ContraBoss posted:

Gardening is fun and good.

In addition to pretty flowers and fresh veggies, you can easily sow some regular organic poppy seeds normally used for baking, which grow into opium poppies.

The fruit of life comes in many forms...

I threw some poppy seeds into my yard once and grew some pods then dried them out.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

ghlbtsk posted:

I did a lot of research after they razed all my hard work to the ground and meticulously planted things deer don't like.
I realized too late that "things deer don't like" does not equal "things deer won't eat", whose list includes precisely nothing.

However you can eat the deer too and get your vegetables back that way.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

King of Bees posted:

Get a squirrel blind and post your family on 24hr watch.

Really I need to find a way to pit the red squirrels and chipmunks against the gray squirrels in a battle royale for the ages.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

The Groper posted:

Behold my porch corn:

That's p cool. Never thought about porch corn before.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

King of Bees posted:

However you can eat the deer too and get your vegetables back that way.

That's a great strategy IMO.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

ghlbtsk posted:

Deer are idiots, I don't care if they're starving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln1ucGoPvWk

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
Squirrels got after my tomatoes a few years back. Fuckers would pull a beefsteak off each day, take one bite, then leave it in the driveway to rot. Now I have a two stage fence with a DMZ.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

ManDingo posted:

Squirrels got after my tomatoes a few years back. Fuckers would pull a beefsteak off each day, take one bite, then leave it in the driveway to rot. Now I have a two stage fence with a DMZ.

I have a husband with guns. Considering fence too. We'll see what happens. Got some sweet San Marzanos coming in right now.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

poopnanners posted:

Can anyone recommend a plant that will thrive indoors without a lot of sun? Maybe one that would be good at keeping me company. No cacti please.

Get a tacca/batflower.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ghlbtsk posted:

This is the problem I have right now. The previous owner of my house put out salt licks for these stupid fucks and now they won't go away. I put out a planter full of tulips and some friggin jerk just ate one, tore the rest out and left them in the front walk way. Plus I guess if they nibble off the arbor vitae buds they basically just don't grow for the year?? I have to spend a few hundred bucks on mature trees now so I hope deer go extinct.

Also I keep getting shots on this groundhog idiot but I have iron sights on the AR and he's just out of the range I can reliably hit things at. I'll get that fucker though. He'll get his. Little bitch.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
squirrel trap that my neighbor uses:

fill a barrel halfway with water and cover the surface with apples then put several boards/ramps leading up to it, wait for the squirrels to jump in and drown

i do not do this because they never really wreck my stuff but my neighbor is hardcore and salt of the earth so its always interesting to talk with him about his gardening strategies

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

King of Bees posted:

you grew lavender from seed?

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Get one of these
http://i.imgur.com/c2wRFnh.mp4

I got one of these for my dad because he loves feeding birds and the squirrels are always wrecking his poo poo
sending squirrels flying in all directions is fun for the whole family

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Glaucus atlanticus posted:

Get a tacca/batflower.

That is amazeballs.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Fat Jesus posted:

you grew lavender from seed?

Surprisingly, plants grow from seeds!!!

This fall I'll have about a hundred or so coriander seeds that will either become new cilantro plants or curry.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ghlbtsk posted:

Yeah but at least they're not as happy about it. I mean, they're still eating all your poo poo, but they're not enjoying it as much as they could be.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Get one of these
http://i.imgur.com/c2wRFnh.mp4

I got one of these for my dad because he loves feeding birds and the squirrels are always wrecking his poo poo
sending squirrels flying in all directions is fun for the whole family

I'm ready to purchase in bulk if you have a link. I think I want one of these in front of every window of my house.

XVIII
Jul 11, 2007
londish by injection
Hello from UK zone 8b, her's the perennial border I made out of rubbish.

Has anyone had luck with milk as a powdery mildew remedy?

Also thinking of making a gravity fed irrigation system from a brewing bucket since the soil is so shallow.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

XVIII posted:

Hello from UK zone 8b, her's the perennial border I made out of rubbish.

Has anyone had luck with milk as a powdery mildew remedy?

Also thinking of making a gravity fed irrigation system from a brewing bucket since the soil is so shallow.

That's beautiful but I'm having a hard time believing it's in the UK as the sun is shining :confused:

mr_cramalldees
Dec 14, 2015

Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Luvcow posted:

squirrel trap that my neighbor uses:

fill a barrel halfway with water and cover the surface with apples then put several boards/ramps leading up to it, wait for the squirrels to jump in and drown

i do not do this because they never really wreck my stuff but my neighbor is hardcore and salt of the earth so its always interesting to talk with him about his gardening strategies

Are we just gonna ignore this gem?

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

mr_cramalldees posted:

Are we just gonna ignore this gem?

I need pics/schematics. I'm an engineer. I don't understand words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If you have deers the only thing that helps is a six foot fence. They can make it over the fence but they have to try really hard and instead of doing that they just go gently caress up a neighbor's yard

The squirrels around here don't eat tomatoes

• Locked thread