Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I'm trying to put together a mock expansion draft and going through teams trying to figure out who to protect has made me realize I'm not as knowledgeable about this league as I used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
My hot take is that its possible Vegas doesn't work out but its a huge victory for the NHL to get into that market before the NBA did, because if it does work out it'll be a massive success.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Zodijackylite posted:

Are you forgetting that Manny Legace is a Stanley Cup Champion?
It's his Manny Legacy!

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Laurence Gilman is very cool and very good and I don't think its a coincidence Benning went completely off the deep end after he was fired.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Dale Ouise posted:

Which makes sense, because by the time you get to Anor Londo, you should know how to parry & riposte silver/black knights.

I think it could still work if they acquired a couple of snipers.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Nail Rat posted:

edit: jesus christ

Careful, last time we made fun of "THE CREATOR" their goon mole posted it to Twitter

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

yellowcar posted:

HAWK KNIGHTS

this sounds cool though

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Also apparently the NHL shot down anything gambling related from Day 1 which begs the question, "Why even bother going to Vegas?"

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

checksin posted:

PA's probably still got their mascot suit in mothballs somewhere and would part with it for cheap

If we're going with the Arabic knight motif I feel like a snake mascot would be more fitting

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Among the other possibilities we've heard, the Las Vegas Desert Knights is the best one by a country mile, but the NHL shutting down anything gambling related like the Aces immediately off the bat is still super frustrating.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Stretch Marx posted:

The Las Vegas Vegas

Now I want a picture of Vega with little hockey sticks for claws.

Vegas was Balrog's stage, though

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Teemu Pokemon posted:

you just don't understand the process of the creator

[me, if the team folds] Haha more like The Crater

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Desert Knight has the potential to be cool but the problem is they'd shy away from the Arabic knight logo that would make it cool.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
The Las Vegas Knights We Made Along the Way

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
N: The name is one of "Golden Knights" "Silver Knights" and "Desert Knights", has been chosen, and the logo and colour scheme are being finalized. Announcement delayed to early-mid November

The delays have gone from being funny to annoying to funny again.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

JawKnee posted:

So the canucks protected list for sure includes the Sedins and Eriksson.

Exempt players currently on the big club's roster:

Rodin, Virtanen (too bad), Gaunce, Tryampkin, Hutton

So who will the canucks protect or expose? I'd guess they go for the 7 forwards/3 d option, which leaves them with 4 slots at forward after the NMC protected players. I could see them protecting Hansen, Horvat, Baerschi, and Sutter with that - and I guess exposing Skille and Dorsett. On D poo poo gets interesting though. Edler and Tanev are protected, no question there, so do they protect Gudbranson or Sbisa? Seems pretty likely they'll expose Biega for the D requirement though. Unless there are better D available from other teams that's where I see this new franchise making their pick from the canucks, as the forward group available are a trash fire. Please please please don't protect Sbisa! Please take Sbisa LV!

I feel like there's no way Gudbranson doesn't get protected, considering how much they just invested in him. Trading a prospect like McCann just to immediately lose Gudbranson for absolutely nothing would look bad, and as we know, the Canucks front office cares more about good PR than they do sound business decisions.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
With the money and term Florida has on Luongo and Reimer, I think its a safe bet Reimer (or Luongo????) is Vegas' starting goalie. People like MAF and Bishop are UFAs and I would be shocked if they weren't moved before the deadline.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Oops

https://www.nhl.com/goldenknights

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
It's not the worst thing I've ever seen, but I do wish they had gone with Desert Knights. The negative space on the helmet spelling a V is pretty nice.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Scorpions would have been alright but the real fault lies with the NHL for shooting anything gambling related down immediately, because of course the Vegas name is gonna be lame as poo poo if you can't use the one thing people know Vegas for.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Dale Ouise posted:

The negative space V is not creative in the slightest.

I don't think its as atrocious a logo as others. It's not spectacular, no.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
NHL V Expansion: Golden Showers of the Creator are Upon Us

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
https://twitter.com/cotsonika/status/847191110204166146

Hey the NHL isn't completely making GBS threads the bed on Expansion Draft coverage

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Shipachyov's probably gonna be the first line centre and gets to live in Vegas. I've heard of worse fates.

Also with this signing, they only need to draft players with an average caphit of $1.5m to reach the required cap hit. It's becoming more and more doubtful the Knights are gonna be taking poo poo like Dustin Brown off of teams' hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
The approach of signing KHLers already makes them a more threatening expansion team compared to previous years, even without including the friendlier expansion draft rules

• Locked thread