Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Nail Rat posted:

Do you have any idea how bad they will be the first few years? Maintaining fan support will be a challenge. That doesn't mean it won't happen, BUT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atlanta_Thrashers_seasons Out of 12 seasons, two winning ones and the first didn't come until the sixth year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Columbus_Blue_Jackets_seasons Out of 16 seasons, three winning ones and the first didn't come until the eighth year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nashville_Predators_seasons Predators didn't have a winning season for the first six years, they've basically been good ever since though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Minnesota_Wild_seasons Hey the Wild had only four losing seasons out of 16, two of those being the first two years. That probably had a lot to do with having the right people in place because the state breathes hockey.

Stop crying about the fact that people are skeptical. A lot of us want to see them succeed and hope they do, but it's critical they get on the path to having a good roster soon if they're going to maintain attendance. Attendance issues lead to relocation. Not sure why you're taking issue with that.

It comes up because if the Wild lost every game for fifty years in a row they'd still have full arenas. For Vegas, the team has to succeed, they don't get to just print money because they exist.

Vegas will be the first expansion since the salary cap and loser point, I wouldn't be surprised if that helped them be less-terrible in the standings than past expansion teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Have they announced where the 2017 World Cup of Hockey will be? Seems like doing it in Vegas would be a good kickoff except they wouldn't have players on any national teams.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

Nah the expansion team will basically make some 3rd line guys a ton of money. Instead of fighting for minutes on a team with a real top 6 you get fed opportunities and minutes with a team that has no internal competition.

Kind of like how Palmieri went from the ducks, where he had trouble staying in the lineup, to the devils, where he was given as many PP minutes and opportunities as he could ever want.

Also the couple of guys who have career high shooting % in their first LV season will become fan favorites and get overpaid.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Supposedly Vegas will be naming their GM tomorrow and George McPhee is the rumored guy.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Yaya posted:

Among the other possibilities we've heard, the Las Vegas Desert Knights is the best one by a country mile, but the NHL shutting down anything gambling related like the Aces immediately off the bat is still super frustrating.

Double loophole for gambling names and ads on jerseys: "Las Vegas Acers"

Thufir
May 19, 2004

That doesn't really look that nice compared to some other team's stuff but presumably the LV Creators will swank it up a bit once they move in.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Mike Fisher is still pretty good and will probably be unprotected but he would also probably just retire if he got picked up. I expect if he wants to come back Nashville will wait until after the expansion draft to re-sign him.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

hifi posted:

this was just a thing i thought of in the last minute, but they should let vegas claim people on waivers. i'm not sure how this works when they don't actually play games right now, maybe let the waiving team have priority if they get sent down during vegas' regular season. vegas gets the option to get better quicker, and players are probably fine with not getting their nuts destroyed in real games

I don't think the NHLPA would agree to that. Players that are getting waived especially want a chance to play to show that they can hack it, not sit around and get forgotten about for months.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think he means the waived player would still play in the AHL, and if he got called back up he'd be on "loan" so to speak to the original team, but next season they'd play in Vegas

I took

quote:

and players are probably fine with not getting their nuts destroyed in real games

to mean they wouldn't be playing. But Vegas can get a better team from the expansion draft anyway, most of these waived dudes would just get waived or cut again next year.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Capfriendly has a new expansion draft / protection tool since General Fanager's got poofed. https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft

After looking at that I'm pretty sure Nashville gave Anthony Bitetto a 2-year deal purely to satisfy the exposure requirements (one D under contract in 17-18 with 40 GP in 2016-17 or 70gp in 2015-2017).

Thufir
May 19, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Maybe they'll just go with Bluebirds, it is the state bird...

The Las Vegas Desert Tortoise would be pretty rad actually.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Foley is a Trumpist so he can probably do whatever he wants.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

a false posted:

is arvidsson really going to go unprotected. also i'd figure they'd pick grabner over raanta

I don't think so. He's tied for the team lead in goals.

I'm thinking Nashville protects: Rinne (NMC), Subban, Josi, Ellis, Ekholm, Forsberg, Neal, Johansen, and Arvidsson.

That leaves Smith, Wilson, and Jarnkrok as probably the most likely picks. IMO Jarnkrok is the best bet there but I guess they could take Smith or Wilson for salary floor reasons.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

hyper from Pixie Sticks posted:

Are there any GMs stupid enough to accidentally expose a top player?

David Poile forgot to fax offers to RFAs one time so maybe.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Titans aren't even the biggest distraction from hockey in town, college football is way bigger.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Probably help them get to the salary floor too.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Yaya posted:

It's becoming more and more doubtful the Knights are gonna be taking poo poo like Dustin Brown off of teams' hands.

I don't think that was ever likely to happen, the expansion protections are much smaller than in the past, no need to take garbage just to fill the roster. They might do like Arizona and take on dead cap space for in exchange for picks but Brown has a lot of actual dollars due to him too.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Aside from goaltending, that Scott Cullen lineup action looks pretty fun. Though I'm not convinced all those guys go unprotected.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

lol Halifax is never getting a team.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Sadly though, I think something would have to drastically change for Canada to get more teams. At the very least, that will be true as long as Gary Bettman's running the show.

I could see Hamilton or Quebec getting teams but anywhere else is just way too small.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

IMO the NHL should put a team in Mexico City.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Seems like Vegas could end up pretty good in like 2-3 years if they get a boatload of picks by blackmailing everyone.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

i am the bird posted:

I'll throw out my first suggestions:

contract the Detroit Dead Wings in 2018

then expand to Detroit in 2019 because I hear that's a city with a dedicated hockey fanbase, and they're almost finished with a new arena that can host hockey games

Should revive the historic Motor City Mechanics franchise IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

is that true? i've never heard of it, but i've never heard of a team wanting a guy back so soon. even if he was picked in the draft?

That's the buyout rule I think, no idea if it applied to the expansion draft.

• Locked thread