Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

Independence Day owns, I saw it like 3 times in the theatre when it came out and it was goddamn awesome. I still try to rewatch it every 4th of July.

I'm pretty stoked for the sequel.

For a few years after it came out on video, my sister and I would insist on an annual family viewing - but we had to watch the parts on the appropriate day. So on July 2nd, we'd watch the July 2nd section and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
I remember watching with my mom's family and when Bill Pullman delivers his epic speech my grandma was like "I bet Clinton wouldn't be brave enough to get in a fighter jet"

I was seven at the time but that was a significant look inside the mind if a republican and I'll always cherish it.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I saw ID4 in the theaters once... in Bangkok. My dad and I went to see it because he was always into action movies and things with explosions, and having lived in Thailand, I had no clue what any new movies were so I had no idea what the movie was going to be about. Thais (at the time, can't say about now) were really loud in the theaters and my dad had the habit of being the guy telling everyone to shut up. From the moment that movie started the theater was silent. It was so ominous. I thought it was amazing (I think I was 11) and for weeks afterwards I wondered if a huge UFO was going to appear in the sky above BKK.

Right after we watched it, went outside the theater to the guy selling bootleg cam version of movies and got the VHS. I probably watched it 30 times more.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Serious Frolicking posted:

that dog is long dead

same

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The movie had several writers credited and it showed. It was a mishmash of a couple ideas that didn't really make sense. Why was Judd Hirsch doing back? Is Liam Hemsworth's character supposed to be the son of Randy Quaid*?

At least the theater I watched it in had those fancy recliner seats & they delivered my pizza to me.

*he's not apparently

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Judd Hirsch was back to make me laugh about that Patrice O Neal video.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Judd Hirsch was back to make me laugh about that Patrice O Neal video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1qKy4cMPUI

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Cthulu Carl posted:

For a few years after it came out on video, my sister and I would insist on an annual family viewing - but we had to watch the parts on the appropriate day. So on July 2nd, we'd watch the July 2nd section and so on.

:how:

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
I remember when Will Smith welcomed the alien to Earth by punching him a d dragging him around in a parachute. I'm not surprised the aliens would want to come back to consume our resources.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I want to know which film will be more profitable, ID42 (:byodood:) or Suicide Squad

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
It's fun when Hollywood picks up on the old DW Griffith theme of destroying civilization. ID tried to capture that the first time.
I hope they include more praise for the KKK in this one.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I do like how they just have 'Central Africa" as a place, as though choosing a country like the "Democratic Republic of the Congo" or "Central African Republic" is too difficult. Way to keep up the stereotype of Africa being a nebulous place with no real form.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Professor Shark posted:

I want to know which film will be more profitable, ID42 (:byodood:) or Suicide Squad

Based on the number of people in the theatre I saw it in (on a Friday night, IMAX 3D in midtown Manhattan), I'd say Suicide Squad. Definitely Suicide Squad.

There was like maybe 20 people there. I saw Star Wars in the same place opening night and it was completely sold out. The last time I saw a theatre so empty on opening night was Rock The Kasbah which is one of the biggest box office bombs of all time.

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 25, 2016

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just saw it, it was decent but its hard to top the first one as an epic struggle of man kind in a last stand.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Android Bicyclist posted:

I do like how they just have 'Central Africa" as a place, as though choosing a country like the "Democratic Republic of the Congo" or "Central African Republic" is too difficult. Way to keep up the stereotype of Africa being a nebulous place with no real form.

I'll no-prize this one: Post War of 1996, some nations redefined borders as a result of population losses, infrastructure destruction, revived historical nations and nation-states and solidified new ones in the spirit of a new human age where unity through diversity was celebrated.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Hope they reference this classic scene

https://youtu.be/_2oLf5lA_qs

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
This film was horrid.

Save your loving money.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

walgreenslatino posted:

Hope they reference this classic scene

https://youtu.be/_2oLf5lA_qs

mm, sorta. Theres a similar scene in the movie, but it's not as good.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Did you guys ever see the original scene where it's quaid flying a crop duster with a missile taped to it?

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Saw it today and loving hell if I didn't love it. It's so goddamned stupid but it knows it and just runs with it.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Haruharuharuko posted:

Saw it today and loving hell if I didn't love it. It's so goddamned stupid but it knows it and just runs with it.

yesss

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

VendaGoat posted:

This film was horrid.

Save your loving money.

lol if you thought it was ever going to be more than it was

It's hella fun if you have appropriately low expectations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Haruharuharuko posted:

This is exactly what I want out of this film.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Cthulu Carl posted:

Me and my little sister watched our VHS of it so many times we wore it out, and we could quote the entire film.

All it needs to do is give me aliens, bombs and goldblum doing a computer thing and I'll be happy. Long live the B Movie.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
When they took him up in the spaceship, the aliens abused him...sexually.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Mariana Horchata posted:

Up yours! (maybe slightly more slowly due to mass increase).

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Trent posted:

lol if you thought it was ever going to be more than it was

It's hella fun if you have appropriately low expectations.

I can normally get behind mindless fun.

This one just didn't do it for me.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Welcome ta earf is no longer in saclopedia and it's because of the weird mass effect goons

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Mariana Horchata posted:

cool they replaced his head w a cloud

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

he's the human embodiment of that scene from the lion king w mufasa

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

Welcome ta earf is no longer in saclopedia and it's because of the weird mass effect goons

I thought it was because it was a bunch of racist nonsense that white people misquoted to mock blacks.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
I like how the one injured alien went nuts and controlled the doctor by fisting his rear end and used him like a puppet

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I thought it was because it was a bunch of racist nonsense that white people misquoted to mock blacks.

if you rewatch the clip, smith, if anything, over-enunciates the "th," as if he had some kind of premonition retards were going to latch on to it as some sort of minstrel show patois

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm going to see this today, wish me luck :911:

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Professor Shark posted:

I'm going to see this today, wish me luck :911:

good luck chuck i hope its amazeballs

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Glitter is a really good film if you just turn off your brain and go into it with very low expectations. I don't understand why people can't just enjoy movies for what they're worth.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm here in theatre, someone around me smells bad and some people are talking about anime

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

There are literally eight people here

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

Professor Shark posted:

I'm here in theatre, someone around me smells bad and some people are talking about anime

You are all of these people aren't you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Shark posted:

There are literally eight people here

WELL HOW IS IT??????? gently caress I CANT TAKE THE SUSPENSE

• Locked thread