Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thejoshie
May 3, 2013
OOC
Influence
Setting document
===

Issue #1

===

The city of Halcyon...

From the jaws of total destruction by way of hellfire, this jewel of a city has once again rebuilt itself. The people walk the streets, cars are driving down congested roads, the smells of the delis, the calls of the merchants, the sounds of car horns and televisions from open apartment windows, it all makes it hard to believe just how close this city was to going to hell.

...literally.

But, sadly, that fact brings us to Halcyon National Park.

“...once again, this wonderful city has re-built itself from ashes, to prove to the world that we, the citizens of Halcyon City, are the strongest, vigilant, and most resilient of all the world.”

Deputy Mayor, Dahlia Williams, pauses as the massive crowd gives a round of applause. She then continues. “Of course, we would not be here, if not for the sacrifice of the brave men and women, who stood their ground amidst the monsters intent on destroying us, refusing to budge out of the way, knowing that if they fell... we would have no hope...”

She says this, with each of you standing a foot behind her on stage. Rude.

So, yeah, each of you are standing infront of something giant and covered in cloth. A special presentation in memory of the Justice Crusaders. Your predecessors. Your presence was all but demanded by the Deputy mayor, who refused to take no for an answer. No doubt because she needs as much backing as she can get... she is only the Mayor due to the death of Mayor Ronald Bump was burned alive when the demons took over City Hall during the invasion.

Everyone who goes to school, school was not closed! How did you sneak out to be here today?

Anyway, the Mayor continues. “...there will be no other team like them... thus, with the power granted to me as Deputy Mayor, June 22 will forever be known in Halcyon City as Crusader Day!”

The crowd cheers again, as the mayor looks back at you all.

“...and now, we will hear words from the leader of the brave childr... 'Heroes', who will do their best to protect us in the stead of the Crusaders... I present their leader... Sentinel's understudy, Lumina!”

And the Deputy mayor steps aside, nodding at you, Lumina, to take the podium...

Lumina. 'Sentinel's understudy'? Really? Already it's being planted into everyone's heads that you're just a sidekick!

Anyway, what advice did Sentinel give you about this speech that you don't agree with? Will you go along with it, or pave your own way, your own vision as to where the team will go?

You're at the microphone, the people are watching, the press is listening, and the tv cameras are ready to pick up every blunder word that come out of your mouth. What do you do, Lumina?

Sagramore, how do you feel about the reports that a certain winged woman was sighted in a neighboring city recently, matching the description of your predecessors sparring partner? Have you warned the team about this potential threat?

Oh, and Uncle Hamish is in the crowd as well. How does his presence make you feel?

Songbird. how do you feel after your argument with your bandmates yesterday? You were all set to perform today here alongside other indie bands... and you had to break things off because you were called alongside your teammates to this occasion. What excuse did you give them?

And also, tell me about your bandmates? I know one of them has been flirting with you recently, one of them is getting annoyed by the way you keep ducking practices, and one of them is chomping at the bit to have you replaced with a more reliable drummer.

And work! How can I forget that!? How are your finances shaping up? I know you're struggling to pay something off... what is it? And how is your boss handling your constant tardiness to your shifts?

Sparkles, how does it feel to be in the big time? Standing in front of thousands of people, all of whom are looking up at you like you're some Goddess... when in reality, you're just a teenager in a suit. Are you nervous? What did you do before now to prep yourself mentally?

And how goes the search for Alpha? Any leads?

Clockwork, you are afraid. Very afraid.

As you stand behind the deputy Mayor, your your attention fades and like a dream, you imagine hurricane like winds, scorching fire, leaves rustling, water flowing, speed you can hardly keep up with, metal scraping metal, time itself turning against you, explosions that rips apart the city...

The laughter of an insane clown, a demoness bent on hatred and vengeance, the maniacal machinations of an evil genius...

And 'her' staring right at you. Smiling. Her lips mouthing “soon”... just before she transforms into 'you'. And behind her, you see a Griffon with a sword overlaid on it... then you notice an object thrown at it from above causing it to blow up, it's flames engulfing you, the heat searing you to the bone as only your skeleton remains...

...and that snaps you awake! Woah. How do you feel? What do you think that vision meant?

thejoshie fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Fre: -1 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +2 | Sup: +0 | Mun: +3
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: | Location:

Wow, there are WAY too many people out here to see the statue - and us, but definitely mostly the statue. I'd always thought something like this would be super awesome, but I was totally wrong. This is really, really nerve-wracking, I'm not sure I'm ready for something like this. Even having listened to Neutral Milk Hotel, which I thought would help since I love them, definitely hasn't.

Standing up in front of the giant crowd in my aerodynamic NEXUS armor, it only looks like I belong here. But with a statue of real heroes behind us about to be unveiled and my super-powered teammates next to me, it's hard for me to take myself that seriously. Hell, I'm mostly just happy I remembered my domino mask this time! I'm in over my head, both here and as a hero in general. And at school, now that I think about it... it was really embarrassing earlier when it came time for me to leave school. The Vice Principal wouldn't let me head to a ceremony - that the Deputy Mayor demands we be at - without first reminding me the direction my GPA's been trending recently. Why's he looking at my grades anyways? It's creepy.

Ughhh, on top of everything else I'm distracted - the Mayor's made her speech, and I barely heard any of it. When people clap for her I grin like an idiot and wave back, since that's the sort of things heroes are supposed to do, right? Make people feel safer and stronger and better? Anyways, it looks like Lumina's taking the stage... I'm really, really pretty genuinely curious if she's going to find a way to make fun of me during it. There's like, a pretty good chance of that - I gotta keep her away from Grandpa Frank, so they can't compare notes on bringing me down. At least my other teammates are cool. Sagramore's surprisingly chill, Songbird's like a cool kid that likes spending time with me for some reason, and Clockwork's scary but as nice about it as she can be. Hmm...

Oh wait, no, turns out I don't really care what she's saying - she may be the leader, but that doesn't mean I have to always listen to everything she says. So instead of paying attention, I'm watching the mayor, trying to figure out what she's after with all of this. Just a bump to her approval, right? Because I'm not convinced she's not going to try and spring some stupid demand on us before this is all said and done...

<Rauri> Pierce the Mayor's Mask
<Rauri> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 2 + 3 = 5
Potential time!

Rauri fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 23, 2016

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Freak: 0 | Danger: -1| Savior: +2 | Superior: 0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Halcyon National Park

Why would I have to sneak out? Uncle Hamish signed me out, though I'm not sure the teacher bought whatever reason he gave him. Here's hoping he'll forget it by tomorrow! To be perfectly honest, I kinda wish he hadn't pulled me out for this. It's just embarrassing to be talked about like this, especially in front of a crowd this size. Having Uncle Hamish in the crowd only makes it worse, I'm glad you can't see my face under my mask right now, gritted teeth is not a good look on me. I mean come on! She called us children! We didn't ask to be put up here so suddenly, lady! All of us want the Crusaders back, not just you!

Putting that aside, for now, I turn my thoughts to something that's actually important. A certain knight may have been spotted nearby. That's... not great news. I was kinda hoping she'd wait til the team was a bit more established than this. As we are now... well let's just say they wouldn't make a statue for us and leave it at that. I kinda haven't told the team about her either, I figured I'd do it once it was necessary, you know? I think... I think I'm gonna hold it off a while longer, at least until I know for sure if this was her. It could just be a mistake after all, some other villain, or even a supe, that looks similar. I can't afford to jump to conclusions right now, not when city hall is breathing down our necks. So I'm just gonna have to deal with it when, if, it comes.

For now, I'm gonna concern myself with our Deputy Mayor. Her wonderful show of faith showed just how much she trusts us, so why have us here? She's up to something here, I can feel it. Her position is pretty shakey, since she's only in power due to the old Mayor dying, so maybe she's trying to shore it up? Speeches and all this feel good stuff does kinda point that way. Or does she have another reason for having us out here?

(12:32:58 AM) ShootaBoy: Pierce Deputy Mayor Williams' Mask
(12:32:58 AM) ShootaBoy: !r 2d6+2
(12:32:59 AM) Krysmbot: ShootaBoy, 7+2 = 9
What is the Deputy Mayor really planning?

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Freak: +0 | Danger: +0| Savior: +0 | Superior: 0 | Mundane: +3

Ashe surveyed the crowd in front of her. Man oh man, that was a lot of people. Biggest gig ever, and she'd had to miss out because she was on hero duty. She felt pretty guilty about that. The band had missed a massive opportunity. Her fault, as usual. It wasn't that she wasn't trying to make it to band practice... but there was always some creep to stop. Or some orphanage to stop burning down. What was it with orphans and fire prone buildings? But she was getting sidetracked, again.

The 'excuse' was a pretty valid one. Her guardian, who she was ever so close to, died in the hellscape incident. And she was cut up about it and inconsolable.

Which was true

Ashe was devastated. Phoenix's faced death, they did not fear it. But Ashe was closer then most to those around her. She hadn't previously felt so... wounded by the loss of someone in her life. So it was a completely genuine excuse. She really couldn't face it. I mean god, the band had earlier on had a go at her for being so flaky and she'd almost cried afterwards. She didn't want to mess them about. She'd been throwing herself into the Superhero thing because it stopped her thinking about it all. She could lose herself in the danger.

But at some point Ashe had to face the music (ha). Robert had been trying to get into her pants since day one. He came across as really sweet and charming. But he had the sense of a snake. Like the moment he had a hold of her he'd never let her go. Choke the life out of her. Or to put it another way, Ashe got the impression he was a controlling and mean person beneath his well crafted appearance. She would have tried to duck out, but dammit, he was one the best bassists she'd ever worked with. The other two though... Lead singer Candy had always been a little... well she didn't like other girls, she got super envious and bitchy. Gods only knows what rumours Candy was spreading about her behind her back. Probably the usual mix of she's a whore and got herself pregnent and the father ran away. Always seemed to be some variation of that. Candy had issues. Ben... Ben just didn't like her. He'd tried to get rid of her since day one. He didn't realise it, but he was picking up on her magical nature. Like a kinda fight or flight instinct. It was pretty weak in most, but Ben was very sensitive to this kinda stuff. He got the fight reaction. So he'd tried to get her to leave whenever he could. Problem was that they were actually paying really drat well. They'd actually started getting attention from record companies. Stuff like that. They were small time, but it was helping keep everyone together.

For now at least.

Ashe glanced across at Sparkles. She seemed tense, a little unfocused, as though she was trying to keep from throwing up. Ashe gulped as a million ideas came to mind of what she could do to relax her. Most of which were entirely inappropriate for being out in public. Back rubs, watching tv together, or asking her about those video games. But when the crowd started clapping, Ashe took a chance, and put a hand on her shoulder. Raising her hand into the air and waving. To the outside world it was a display of unity, strength, and confidence. Besides, Ashe felt like Sparkles had the most potential of anyone in the group.

Between the two girls though, Ashe gave Sparkles shoulder a comforting and supportive squeeze. She grinned confidently, despite her heart beating 50 beats a minute.

"You're doing great! This'll be done soon enough and we can get back home." She whispered, passing the sound directly into Sparkles ear.

Home, ha, her's wasn't going quite so well. She was late on paying for the water. She at least had electricity, but there was no way she could get a bath back at her flat. At least she still had her job. Mr Franks used to be a cape. He was really small time, but he'd themed his whole cafe around supers. The Capes Cafe. He remembered how hard it was to keep his life going back during his days. But there was only so far he could turn a blind eye before he had to take disciplinary action.

But Ashe could deal with that later. Right now she was Songbird, standing here, getting snark off of this bureaucrat. Ashe had weathered worse insults, so she turned the other cheek. But now their leader was taking the stand. Lucky them. Ashe realised that she was still holding Sparkles shoulder. She let it go in a calm, relaxed manner, but inside she was anything but.

How long had it been? Was it weird? Did it weird out Sparkles? Did she know?! Did she suspect?! Had anyone noticed? Well obviously the whole bloody crowd, but Ashe couldn't give a rats arse of their thoughts right now. She tried to focus her thoughts back on the speech, but she felt the butterflies swarming around her stomach. She was really really hoping that she'd not made a complete idiot of herself to Sparkles.

In fact her thoughts turned to how stupid this whole event was. It was a massive target. Huge crowd, isolated stage, to many civies here to really let loose. If a bad guy attacked now... Ashe turned her eyes to the crowd, noticing that Clockwork was doing the same. Oh, good, maybe something WAS up.

- - -

Assess the situation: 2d6 8
- What here is the biggest threat?

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 23, 2016

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Freak: +2 | Danger: +1| Savior: +1 | Superior: -1 | Mundane: 0
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:
Doom: 1/5

I'm half surprised that the mayor even invited us ,but I guess she does have her needs. Someone has to look the hero, has to give her that air of legitimacy. You'd think that she would have picked one of the city's other teams, but no, the Crusaders were the greatest team before ,and this batch of teenagers are the new Crusaders, right? Sounds like a sound decision, if you ignore everything else the rest of the heroes of the city and half the populace say, or any of hte other mitigating circumstances. Our forebears have a statue here, supposedly- that must be what's under the big blanket. ... I don't even know if I want to see it. It's not that long ago that the Blue Queen died. She was... mmn. She was important. She wasn't just powerful, or helpful to the heroes of the city- she was an emotional anchor for me. Someone who accepted me and knew that I could try and fight and do better. She even provided some protection against the other ... other me.

We had laughed ,and joked, told stories. We had camaraderie. And now she's gone, and I'll have to face a monument to that today. For a moment, I thought that might be the biggest of my worries.

No.

My eyes close, at first out of boredom- but no, they are sealed shut ,as visions of the future dance through my eyes, dance and scream and cry- destruction, metal and fire and flame, horrid laughter, endless laughter. Screeching wrongness, overwhelming on all senses, And then the scene clears-

A dark field. The insignia of something I do not know- no, that's /ours/ that's , that's the symbol of the Crusaders! And her, laughing, smiling, as the darkness is eradicated by sheer light, as she walks away and slowly morphs into, into- into me, as fire crests over my form and sears my body-

This, this can't- I reach a hand out, and blink- my hand is extended as we stand here on the podium. The crowd is looking at me, confused, bewildered. I force my hand down, and force myself to stand still, heart beating, adrenaline in my body... Something's going to happen. something with her, something. I do not know what ,but destruction comes.

I cannot say anything now. I can't really even convey anything to my team. I stand stock still, and look across the crowd, across the park. There's got to be something I can figure out. Some angle of attack that danger comes from, some risk, some... something.

quote:

<Nea_> Assess the Situation
<Nea_> !roll 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> Nea_, 5-1 = 4

But nothing comes. I must seek out other avenues. I close my eyes once more, and call forth on that strand of connection to the Grove. It's... still strange, every time I call upon it. It is a place of peace, but each usage connects me to her, a bit more- after all, the waters of time know of the inevitability of my fall.

But for now, I seek answers. I cast out my question into the pools of the Grove, and ask-

Where does danger come from today?

Nea fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 24, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Fre: +1 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +1 | Sup: +2 | Mun: +0
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: None

Nodding to the Mayor, I step up to the podium with a solemn expression on the part of my face visible under my mask and the lights on my suit dimmed. As I pull out the pad of paper I'd prepared my speech on onto the stand, my eyes travel the crowd, looking at all the faces. Most of them look worried, afraid, sad. But most of them seem to have some hope left, we aren't alone yet. The crowd makes me feel a bit better, but the Mayor and the cameras don't. I can't tell what the Mayor is feeling, but she's actively underminding the confidence in us with the way she's choosing to word things, even after demanding us to be here. And the cameras, each one might as well be Paladin or another 'hero', waiting to pounce on us.

My script is set down, adjusted slightly, and I take a moment to look at it, remembering Sentinel's advice. She said it'd be best to make the speech not about us - that is the new team - and focus on the character of the City itself, the come back, and to avoid talking too much about the sacrifice of the old Crusaders. Too much of the latter and it'd depress people, and the former would make it seem like we were using the sacrifice for attention. And she's right, I'm sure, but even so, I don't think I can follow that now. Even if it looks bad, I need to cement in the public's mind that we're the Justice Crusaders now, and that we are heroes, and will keep them safe.

So I look down at my script, then look at the crowd. "I had a prepared speech." I lift up the papers for a moment, so they can all see. "But I'm not going to use it. There's only one thing that needs to be said here today. For generations, the Justice Crusaders have put their lives on the line for this City, and the Heroes we're here to remember today," I point back and up at the statue, covered by the cloth. "are no different. They gave their lives, maybe even their souls, for Halcyon City, to keep it, and you safe. Sentinel herself trained me until she thought I was ready to take up her mantel of leadership, and I can safely say, the five of us here are the same. We are the Justice Crusaders, and we will protect you!"

<godfish> gonna do a statement to the camera, feel free to make it a provoke or w.e if you feel like
<godfish> since it feels more like that than a direct provoke
<godfish> statement to the cameras
<godfish> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> godfish, 9+2 = 11
if it stays a statement to the camera, I'll take
Viewing Audience sees us as Saviors, we don't anger or upset anyone important/powerful, the statement frames Lumina as a particularly noteworthy hero.

thejoshie
May 3, 2013
And with the sound of a thunderous applause, the mayor nod her head towards a group of stage hands who were holding a rope and the cloth is lowered. Behind you are statues of each member of the old Crusaders. Men and women who entrusted you with the burden you hold today. Look at these statues. For they are a symbol of hope and a sign that Halcyon will now look to you for protection.

And in front of them is the shiny Justice Crusader insignia... a shield bearing a gold griffin with a golden sword laid over top of it. The polished golden emblem glints in the sun like a jewel. It's amazing to look at...

So, Lumina, that was an amazing speech! Surely, Sentinel would forgive you for breaking off script... I mean, listen to them cheer! Listen to them scream! Look at them run away!

...wait, what!?

You turn around just in time to see the explosion coming right for you! How do you dodge it? What do you do!?

Sagramore, apparently the Deputy Mayor is planning to try and take advantage of the city's need for guidance and leadership by having herself look more competent then you five. Simple politics. But it was nearly effective... until Lumina nipped that in the bud. For now. You may want to convince Lumina to keep on her toes... as you do remember that Paladin was a stalwart of then City Councilwoman Dahlia Williams, before she became Deputy Mayor.

But she is the least of your problems, as you feel the sudden explosion behind you! What do you do to avoid it!?

Think fast! You have mere seconds!

Sparkles, too bad you were too busy paying attention to the Mayor and not to your surroundings! The blast knocks you off your feet as you react a split second too late due to your inattentiveness. Surely, the cameras may have caught this as well.

Yeah, welcome to the big time. Mark insecure.

Anyway, you are nimble enough to roll with the impact. Describe you athleticism. And how do you react to the danger that I'm going to describe below?

Clockwork, your answer comes muddled. You see the sky... but when you try to focus, you see your back.

You try again.

Behind you. Sky.

Again.

Behind you.

Above you.

...TWO DIRECTIONS!

You miss the threat above, but you whip around in time to look at the Griffin explode... just like your vision!

Blast it, you weren't fast enough! Mark guilty. But yeah, how do you avoid this explosion? And how do you react to the danger that I'm going to explain below?

Songbird, a midst the cheering crowd, you notice a strange sight...

You see Candy out in the crowd. Now her face looks kind of blank, which makes sense because being here would be a cruel reminder that the band was meant to play today...

But on her shoulders is the reason she is here: Her brother, decked out in a Crusaders hat and, of all things, a Songbird T-shirt! Wow! He is a fan of you! Describe the shirt! Tell me about him!

...wait, he is pointing at something. Something high. And behind you!

Up in the sky!

It's a bird!

It's a plane!

No, it's...

The Scarlet Jester!

You watch in horror as this laughing maniac soars over the newly veiled statues and drops one of her dreaded 'Bozo Bombs' in the midst of it, the resulting explosion shattering the base and toppling the statues towards the crowd!

Being that you were the only one not caught flat footed, it's up to you to do something about the shower of stone debris that has the possibility of causing major harm to the slow footed civilians that won't be able to out run it!

After you describe how you avoid the explosion, of course!

What do you do!?

Everyone:

Above you flies the Scarlet Jester. A former Circus Acrobat with a few bats loose in the big top. She carrie an assortment of goodies that every female entertainer needs: Explosives. Knives. Laser blasters. You know, the essentials. She is also known to carry a few surprises as well.

She is the member of the Troupe, a band of villains who each has a circus motif. And yes, they are here!

You first have The Pretty Clownface:

Now isn't he someone you want to leave with your kids?

He is Known for his ability to to juggle.

Not so impressed?

Well, I would agree... if it wasn't for the fact that he likes to juggle knives, blades, grenades and other deadly objects! He's very good with his hands!

...OH! And did I mention that he also breaths fire? No? Well, now you know...

Next is Mighty Molly:

Careful with her... she is a lot stronger than she looks... She is the self proclaimed “World's strongest woman on earth after the eclipse but before the Aurora borealis!”

...don't ask. Obviously, Sanity is not common amongst these people. Speaking of 'lack of sanity', let me introduce...

The Wonderful Lizard Twins!

They move as one! Think as one! Bathe as one! Lick as...

Okay, I need to stop there. They are twins. They are agile. They think alike. 'nuff said.

And lastly we have...

Ape boy! The boy who looks like an ape!

...and that's it. Half boy half ape. Move on.

Each of these threats were hiding in the crowd, waiting to strike... and now they do! No doubt, this team, who has lost countless times to the Crusaders, are out for revenge by spoiling this presentation.

Time to show these losers that the circus was so 1990's.

...but be careful with The Jester... she can be a handful...

It's showtime Crusaders! Show the world what you're made of!

thejoshie fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 24, 2016

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Lumina killed it with that speech, I'll need to talk with her later about who supports our beloved Deputy Mayor and how they might not look kindly at us upstaging her like that. Before I can get much farther with that train of thought it gets rather violently derailed when the world explodes. Ok the world is fine, but it sure seems like it just exploded when you're at ground zero of a Bozo Bomb! So yeah, world exploded, yada yada, time to be heroes!

The explosion doesn't really worry me at all, it's not like it can hurt me. Well ok, it can hurt me but it can't hurt me, if you get what I'm saying. No? Uh... well it's like, it hurts me to get hit by stuff, but it doesn't hurt me. I still sorta feel it, but it doesn't hurt hurt me, there's no holes in me. Is that good enough to understand? Anyway, point is I'll be fine, the Deputy Mayor... not so much. Trusting the rest of the team to handle the crowd and the baddies for the moment, I push off from the ground and sweep the Deputy Mayor off her feet at a brisk 40ish miles per hour. Even with that speed I can feel the heat and shrapnel hitting me. I keep low, no more than a foot off the ground, as I make a beeline for her security detail's escape car. Her team sees me coming and are ready to receive her thankfully. As they rush to get her the rest of the way to the car I juke left and start climbing, straight vertical up, just like Bryan, sorry American Dragon, always said not to. It makes you a pretty tempting, easy target. Unfortunately, I need the height, so up it is.

(11:12:36 PM) ShootaBoy: Defend the Deputy Mayor
(11:12:36 PM) ShootaBoy: !r 2d6+2
(11:12:37 PM) Krysmbot: ShootaBoy, 7+2 = 9
I save the Deputy Mayor, expose myself to danger, and add a Team to the pool.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Insecure | Location:

Well... I'm kinda paying attention to the mayor anyways. Since like, after Songbird puts her arm around me, she's definitely getting my full attention. Looking over at her, eyebrows raised (thank goodness for domino masks), for a second I'm nearly too stunned to respond. But when she raises her hand to wave, I redouble mine, giving the whole crowd an exaggerated thumb's up gesture that's actually meant solely for her. Especially with what she whispers to me - about not freaking out, how we'll be out of here soon, and all of it for just me - it means a lot. I'm totally into showing off to the crowd now, especially since she's still got her arm around me. If she wasn't before, she's definitely my favorite teammate now - though not necessarily the hottest one.

So this is what it's like to get hugged, kinda. I definitely should've invested in a mask that covers up my cheeks, so no one could see me blushing...

When there's an explosion all of a sudden, I am caught off-guard. It doesn't seem fair for a couple reasons, though among them is that AoE attacks are for noobs. Learn to aim, god! In a way, I'm proud that those are my initial thoughts as I'm blasted up into the air. My other thoughts - Oh god I'm gonna die, wow I'm really high up, and who the hell are these clowns - are a little less worthy of posterity. Luckily, for me, landing rolling and recovering after a fall is like, half of my training - both in sports and heroics. Hitting the ground with some force, the suit absorbs some while I tumble to use the rest up in a way that doesn't get me hurt. It's like falling off a bike, you always remember how to do it.

Stumbling to my feet, I tap my forearm to activate my S*-Blasters. Lots of confusion, lots of civilians running around, and a plethora of weirdo targets. Between all of them, I don't wanna mess with that flying Jester lady at all - she's definitely the boss fight here, these others look easier - which means I'm going to start with her teammates while those of mine that are invulnerable or can rewind their injuries or whatever other awesome stuff take her on. Always aim for the weakest enemy after all (though I legit hope the people we're fighting don't know to do that since, uhhh, as far as the Crusaders go that's clearly me). Speaking of invincible, Sagramore's already sprung into action and defended the mayor. Wish I'd thought of that... but then again, it's probably best I left things up to a proper hero for that. I'd probably have just gotten beaten up more.

With my limitations in mind, it looks like there's an enemy that's just perfect for me. A creepy looking clown guy, and he's not even moving superfast or smashing the ground with his steps - maybe he's a regular human like me? That'd be a nice change of pace. Then again, I'm not totally regular - I've got a supersuit, and I'm going to put it to very good use. Not at all sure about my own plan, I dash forward anyways, calling out for all nearby to hear. "Good job protecting the mayor - I'm gonna put down the clown!"

Tapping my blaster to quickly adjust the settings on it, I'm intent on shredding this creepy villain with a localized whirlwind, aka what Frank's labeled a Tornado Hold. Let's see if this jerk can juggle while I'm launching him into the air! Per fighting game rules, I'll get an easy combo on him for sure after I land this - and it even looks like it's working!

<Rauri> Directly Engage Clownface aka fuckup even more
<Rauri> !r 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 8 - 1 = 7
<Scarybagels> like the #1 simpsons predicted trump
<Rauri> tyvm Krysm
Avoiding Counterattack~

*The S stands for Sparkles.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jun 24, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: None

I should have seen this coming. Of course someone would want to take this chance to make an impression. And unless we handle this cleanly, it'll just make all the other villains who've been keeping their heads down think we're pushovers. It isn't just the public we need to worry about impressing. I've gotten pretty good at compressing a lot thoughts into a very short period of time, thanks to my psychic communications with Sentinel, so all that runs through my head while I turn to face the exploding statue, throwing my hands out to block the explosion.

Well, my hands aren't what blocks the explosion, but gesturing helps with the telekinesis. Instead, I'm creating a mental block in front of me, angling off to both sides to make the most of the least amount of mental energy, so the blast hits it and slides off to the side, just passing by me on each side. As soon as the blast has passed us, I leap backwards and up, my suit glowing with the soft glow my mental energy as I lift myself up to get a better view of things. Typically, everyone but Sparkles has managed to weather the explosion safely, though even Sparkles doesn't seem badly injured, considering she makes a good landing and immediately rushes off to attack The Pretty Clownface. So its them. And Sagramore is off saving the Mayor, good, okay.

Its lucky, I suppose, that we got attacked by the circus, since I know all about them already from all the times they've tried things in the past. I reach out into the four minds of my teammates, giving them my mental instructions. Songbird, you take the Lizard Twins! Sparkles keep up on the clown but watch out for his weapons and fire breath. I would have had her go after Ape Boy, but it's a bit late for that now... Clockwork, you go after Ape Boy. He doesn't have any powers so you should be able to clean him up fast, then go to help Songbird or Sparkles. Songbird and Sparkles, if you finish first go give Sagramore a hand with Molly. Sagramore, take out Molly as fast as you can, I'll keep The Scarlet Jester busy until you can back me up!

With that, I rocket -somewhat slower than Sagramore- up into the air to meet The Scarlet Jester. The Good news, anything she uses to attack I should be able to mess with with my telekinesis. The bad news, I'm pretty sure she doesn't actually have any powers that I can copy. And copying say, her amazing balance she got from working in the circus before she went batshit cuckoo isn't going to help me at all. So instead, I reach out with my mind and try to yank her glider out from under her, that'll show her.

<godfish> directly engage the scarlet jester
<godfish> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> godfish, 6 = 6

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Freak: +0 | Danger: +0| Savior: +0 | Superior: 0 | Mundane: +3
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Halcyon National Park being expoloded

Sparkles was blushing! Was that a good sign? Had she just made her flustered? Ashe didn't know, but what she did know was the Sparkles hadn't shaken her off, and in point of fact she seemed a little more enthusiastic. So, maybe it was a good thing....? Ashe could feel a blush rising to her own cheeks. Especially when the thought popped into her head that she should slide her arm a little lower down, and a little more, till it was resting on that beautiful curve of a hip and t-

Ashe snapped out of the thought. Her heart pounding in her chest. She hoped Sparkles couldn't hear that. But she could still feel how warm and soft she was, the memory flickering around her hand. That was not making focusing any easier. She wondered what other parts of her would feel like. Her hands, her waist, her legs, her lips on hers, kissing passionately, panting breaths, pulling Ashe to the ground-

AHCK, not again. No! Focus Ashe! FOCUS.

She picked out Candy in the crowd, and on her sholders. Little Bobby.

OH
MY
GOD.

little Bobby was just the CUTIEST little guy! He was only 8, but he was the kinda kid who made everything better. He was excitable, had the most adorable laugh. Ashe never got tired of picking him up on her shoulders and running around. He would just giggle and woop! Even Candy thought he was great. Maybe not all the time, but Ashe had seen those little smiles.

He was wearing one of those tee-shirts. See there had been this competition a few years back, trying to get kids to celebrate the best new and up and coming young heroes. The design for Songbird had made it into the top 5, as number 5. But it was still printed and put up on sale to support a local children's charity. The shirt had been designed by one of the schools taking part and then voted on. Ashe had been in a frenzy of happiness at the result. She'd bought... 8 or 9 of them herself? Well the t-shirt was super comfy, and the design was so stylish. Ashe had almost taken it for her logo before Sol had talked her out of it. Mostly on copyright grounds, and then also, anyone wearing it would be a target for a short sighted villain.

She'd have to give little Bobby a big hug later.

But little Bobby was pointing. Up? Ashe glanced up just in time to see a flying clown throw a granade at them. Well Ashe, when you're right, you're right. And you're right! This place was a perfect place to attack. Great going mayor! Ashe didn't have much time before the bomb went off. She calculated the angles, and then at the last moment hopped. The explosion went off behind her, and she let the blast carry her out over the crowd. Before spinning in the air and trying to turn the explosion back in on itself with it's own sound! Trying to suck all the debrie from the statues backwards, away from the crowd.

- - -

Defend Someone - +1 from previous roll: 2d6+1 8
-Exposing myself to danger.

- - -

Ashe has to watch Sparkles fly past her, trusting that the girl had things under control. What she wouldn't give to catch her as well. Wrap her arms around her slender figure. Protect her, look down on that pretty face, brush a loose strand of hair to one side, and just start kissing her and kissing her, each of their hands stroking up and down, touching, holding, gasping, Ashe's hand reaches for Sparkles zipper as she begins to kiss at her neck-

FOCUS!!!!!! Oh yeah, landing.

Ashe flipped round and rolled with the impact, man, that stung! She could have landed better, but she'd been too busy making sure no one was harmed by the rubble. She came up slowly, oh look, she landed next to little Bobby.

"Well hey there cutie! How about you and your sister get out of here, and let us sort these clowns out." Ashe gave the pare a winning smile. Before turning around to find the lizard twins. Great...!

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Guilty

I looked to the sky, but too late- too late, too late, as fire and hell rained down from upon it, explosives from the wings of a fiend. Scarlet Jester from the skies. I had two chances to stop this, and I didn't react fast enough to either. This is my folly. This is my fault. I don't have time to ruminate, or to worry.

I have to DO something. Five, five of them- a clown, an ape, lizard, doll, jester. The Jester is surely the most dangerous, but also most likely the hardest to immediately take out. The doll thing is also quite worrysome- but no, I can't focus on any of them right now. Lumina cries out in my mind to go for the ape, but I don't have time.

The debris is still flying towards the crowd. poo poo, poo poo- There's got to be something I can do, right? The other crusaders are all running off, tackling mayors or running off after their own targets, so I have to do something. Something, anything- I force my mind to calm, force myself still, and reach my hands forwards- tracing the patterns that help me focus. They don't do anything, per-se, but they're... a little system that she used to help keep her powers working right when she needed to be abrubt. Eventually, Kyoko Amari didn't need it, and I suppose neither do I- but it helps.

I'll create a simple wall of force- easy enough to block the crowd with, right?

<Nea_> Unleash Powers to reshape the environment, blocking off the crowd, or defend, in which case it's one lower.
<Nea_> !roll 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Nea_, 3+2 = 5
marking potential

thejoshie
May 3, 2013
Songbird, the way Candy is gazing at you as she takes little bobby in her arms to carry him makes you a bit nervous, almost as if she recognizes you or something. This raises a good question: How, exactly, are you hiding your identity?

But yeah, it's obvious that you said or did something there to give Candy pause. What that was, I'll leave for later...

For now, as Candy and little Bobby scamper away, the Twin Snakes Lizards silently spring into action, one jumping up on the other's shoulders, before the top one leaps up and over you, your attention diverted by the flight trajectory of the leaping Lizard, the other one scampers to within melee range of you! Your attention again diverted by 'that', the othe Lizard lands, also withing arms length of you. These movements were so in sync that... drat, what chance did you have to react?

But at least you 'do' get a chance to react somewhat. What do you do against such a synchronous pair?

Lumina, you briefly grab the 'Clipper', which is what Jester has named her glider, and it's a wonder that Jester didn't go flying face first into the dirt. The fact that she didn't shows that she is 'very' experienced in riding that thing. She stumbles, but keeps her balance. She then turns to look at you menacingly! "If I said it once, I've said it a thousand times! NO HITCHHIKERS!"

Fwoosh!

Two small panels on the sides of the exhaust port slides open and a huge trail of exhaust hits you in the face before you have time to react, breaking your concentration and allowing the Clipper to break free of your grasp!

This smoke smells bad, tastes bad, blocks your sight, and probably isn't too good for your complexion as well. This must be what the Ozone layer feels like during a typical weekday morning of Halcyon City rush hour traffic.

Coughing from the smoke you accidentally breathed in, you notice as the smoke clears away, that the Jester is no longer in front of you... but where...

"You have gained my attention, Light Bulb! Now here's your prize! Take a Dolly! Hell, take two!"

True to her word, Jester tosses not one, but TWO Bozo Bombs in our direction, bot blowing up beside and in front of you! Take a powerful blow!

Sparkles, the resulting explosion in the sky draws your attention, as Jester soars besides Clown Face to yank him out of your Tornado Hold, dropping him down to the ground.

"Clown Face, I know you are good with your hands, but quit playing with yourself and get to work! Show her the Machete surprise!"

...the Machete surprise? What is the Machete surprise?

Clown Face is happy to show you! Oh Joy! So, he points to his mouth, turns to the side, opens it, reaches in, and slowly pulls out a freaking Machete!

...what the faw faw!? How is that even possible!?

But wait! He pulls out another.... and another! How did he...?

He holds out his hands, as if he imagines the crowd clapping, and then he begins to juggle them. Machetes. This is going to end well, you just know it.

What do you do?

Sagramore, you did a good job... of leaving yourself exposed!

You notice The Scarlet Jester manage to spin the Clipper around (after saving Clown Face) to face you and you see to thin, long cylinders slide out of two panels in front of it.

Wait... not cylinders... barrels. 'Gun' barrels. Well... crap.

"Oh boy! I didn't know it was sitting duck season!" the Jester quips as both barrels lets loose! The recoil spread and the fact that her aim is a bit off (I blame insanity for that) gives you a bit of time to react! What do you do?

Clockwork, you make an amazing catch! You manage to catch the debris that songbird missed and even though Apeboy tackles you from behind with his dirty hands... paws... whatever, the threat of the falling debris harming innocents has passed. Good job... but now a drat dirty ape boy has his mitts all over you, pulling your hair, beating on your back, scratching and screeching! It's quite cute actually.

...well, obviously not to you since you have to take a powerful blow!

But yeah... poor Ape Boy. He always gets the short end of the stick. Wait until he gets a load of you...

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Potential:4/5 | Conditions: Guilty

It didn't feel like it was going to work. I wasn't sure, wasn't quite sure, I didn't have time- but I managed it, the circular gestures helping the patterns of my thoughts, leaving a shimmering wall of my own mental energy, blocking off the debris from the crowd. Perhaps not an amazing feat, but I'm a bit surprised it worked at all.

I'm just getting ready to turn around and actually move to do something proactive, for once, when something slams into my back. It's a sharp pain, not to mention all the tugging and pulling, and it couldn't be anything other than the Ape Boy. I can't believe I let myself get blindsided by this- for a moment, I almost lose my mental concentration, and I can feel Her dirty fingers scrabbling at my mind- but no, focus, act, react.

<Nea_> Powerful blooow
<Nea_> !roll 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Nea_, 2+1 = 3
<Nea_> oh finally thank christ

Act- react. My speed is unparalleled, and with quick motions I twist and turn and bend, flinging Ape Boy not just off of me, but straight up into the air, tumbling and twirling and flying up into the sky- but no, I'm not done. I'll finish this chimp and get back to the real fight. There are bigger threats to worry about. I lift my hands to the sky, pressing them together, entwining my lower three fingers, lifting my thumbs at a ninety degree angle, and pointing my index fingers straight up to where Ape Boy flies. With a focusing of my mind my fingers erupt, sending red bullets of energy flying into the air, straight for my opponent!

<Nea_> Directly engage!
<Nea_> !roll 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Nea_, 3+1 = 4
<Nea_> . . .

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Lumina wants me on Mighty Molly now that the Deputy Mayor is safe. Not what I would have chosen, but I suppose it makes enough sense. Super strength versus super strength. I doubt she's capable of matching up to me, so a few taps and I can have her out of this faster than you can punched up porcelain. Of course, reality doesn't like to agree with plans...

So now I'm being shot at by the Scarlet Jester, which is great. I guess this means the plan is out the window, because if I'm not mistaken, Lumina said she'd handle the Scarlet Jester until I was done with Mighty Molly. Time to see how well our leader can react to rapid unplanned disassembly! Mighty Molly has to wait now, I can't let the Scarlet Jester just spray bullets around like some kind of especially geriatric sprinkler! The crowd has mostly dispersed by now but there are still people around to get hurt by a stray bullet, so I head down. They'll have some issues mowing the grass here later, but it's better a broken blade than a broken person.

I spend a few precious seconds dodging bullets while I figure out her firing pattern (there isn't one, she's nuts) before picking my moment and blasting upwards! I could just smack her into the next century, but I don't know if she's got any powers, for all I know she could just be a regular person under that getup... ok maybe regular isn't the best choice of words but you get the point. I can't hit her until I have some kind of idea of what she can take, so I'll just hit the next best thing, her ride! "Sorry Scarlet Jester, but I'm afraid it's rabbit season, and I think you need to get hopping!" Clipper meet fist, fist this is Clipper. Play nice!

1:48:55 PM) ShootaBoy: Directly Engage the Scarlet Jester (FTGF)
(1:48:55 PM) ShootaBoy: !r 2d6+2
(1:48:57 PM) Krysmbot: ShootaBoy, 6+2 = 8
I'm gonna take something from her, the Clipper!

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Freak: +0 | Danger: +3 (+0) | Savior: +0 | Superior: 0 | Mundane: +0 (+3)
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Halcyon National Park being expoloded

Okay, two verses one. Okay, she'd had fantasies about a threesome, but this wasn't really the thing that she'd had in mind. She watched the twins dance back and forth, keeping to a rhythm. But Ashe was a dancer and a musician. No one could handle her in a dance off. Ashe spun and ducked and dipped. Spinning and diving to the side, she rolled to get her eyes on both of them. She knew it wouldn't last for long, but she needed to check on the others too.

Oh crap. The fat one was going to throw machetes at Sparkles.

NO

NO!

BAD CLOWN!

Ashe didn't have time to play around. She had to put these two down and then deal with an actual threat. She didn't know how resilient Sparkles suit was, but she really didn't want to give Clown Face the chance to find out. She brought her attention back to bare on the twins, who were already scampering up for another go.

- - -

Directly Engage: 2d6+3 9
-Resist or Avoid their blows

- - -

Ashe ducked the first swing, letting a blast out directly onto his foot. She wasn't sure which of them hissed, but it was a hiss of pain. Good. She darted to the side, and power slid under the arm of the other brother. She flicked onto her hands and cartwheeled. Leaping with the momentum and twirling in the air. Aiming her finger guns at the pair and unleashing a hale of shots at the both of them. Hang on Sparkles. She'd be there soon!

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Insecure | Location:

That's so not fair! Not only did this guy get help from Jester, but he's storing knives in his stomach! I mean, I'm storing dozens of different types of weapons in like, an alternate dimension or something? But it's not the same - since my power's not creepy as hell. Ughhh, this is like some Silent Hill stuff - there's NO chance I wanna give this guy a chance to guy all Wednesday Addams or Pennywise on me. What to do next though?

Despite the obfuscatory nature of my domino mask it should be obvious to anyone that so much as glances my way that I am NOT on board with Clownface or his power. He's juggling a bunch of machetes like he's showing off for an audience, but I'm the only one he's got. Trying not to sound too scared, I'm gonna trashtalk my opponent a little bit - usually works in games. "That's like, super creepy dude - cut that out!" Oh come on, I'm totally allowed to grin like an idiot - I came up with a cool pun!

Grabbing my left elbow with my right hand, I'm crouching down as I set about bracing my arm and stabilizing my aim. If this guy's throwing knives, we'll see how he likes me shooting them out of his hands with lasers. The palm of my glove lights up, but instead of firing a torrent of wind like last time, I'm letting loose with a series of Sparkle-Shots (they look like little balls of energy, but it's mostly kinetic and not heat) directly at him, all rapid-fire style. Joyfully, since this is incredibly fun, I'm calling out for all to hear "Sparkles Series Super Semiauto Shots!"

<Rauri-phone> Directly Engage Clownface
<Rauri-phone> !r 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> Rauri-phone, 10 - 1 = 9
<Rauri-phone> Yusss
<nil_> good roll
Gonna take his knives from him.

Wait, did Lumina mention something about Firebreath? Nah, no way that matters - I've got lasers and incredible aim, and he's got nothing. Finally I have the advantage and I'm totally going to be the first of the Crusaders to defeat their opponent... people are streaming this right?!

Rauri fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jun 26, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Flying backwards and coughing to try and clear my lungs, my eyes are stinging too much to see the incoming Bozo Bomb's until its too late! At the last minute I'm able to divert most of the impact from each bomb towards the other, absorbing a good portion of the blast, but still not enough to stop me going flying backwards, knocked out of the sky. Or rather knocked across the sky.

<godfish> take a powerful blow
<godfish> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> godfish, 7 = 7
<godfish> >:(
<ShootaBoy> hahahaha
<godfish> hate you so much krysm
giving ground, they get an opportunity

"poo poo." I hiss through clenched teeth, and start to rise upwards again, aiming backwards The Scarlet Jester. If she thinks that's enough to put Lumina out of business, she's going to have to think again! i rise back up rapidly, closing in the gap, leaving Molly forgotten and unhindered in whatever villainy she's getting up to. As I fly by though, I do notice Sparkles shooting Clown Face's machete's away, so I snatch them up out of the air -mentally- having them fly alongside me as I approach The Scarlet Jester again. Once I'm nearby, I let fly with one of the blades, having it fly in front of her to sink into the ground, then pull it back so I can start juggling the pair, copying Clown Face's skill as I go. "Scarlet, you're act is getting stale! No more flying jester, and a kid is out performing your clown! Is this really all your circus can do? No wonder the Justice Crusaders always sent you packing. Show me what you've got or get out of here." I layer as much scorn in my voice as I can, hoping to get her angry enough to get careless and leave some openings when she attacks me.

<godfish> provoke scarlet
<godfish> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> godfish, 5+2 = 7

thejoshie
May 3, 2013
Songbird

Way to use your natural Rythym!

Course, the two Lizard Twins has a beat of their own, as they, skid to a stop and pounces at you again in another High/Low attack, a low sweep and a high roundhouse kick. How do you defend against both attacks at the same time? What do you do?

Sagramore

"Wheeeeeeeeeee!"

...is she... is the Jester enjoying her impromptu flight face first through the air?

And what is that beeping sound?

...crap.

Apparently, the Clipper had a self destruct mechanism.

Take a powerful blow!

Lumina.

As you see Scarlet Jester land onto the grass, tumble halfway across the grassy battleground, then get up and dust herself off slowly, you say your piece. The Jester looks at you sharply. "Show you what I got?"

Her face cringes in rage as she looks you in the eye. "Show you what I got!? Sister who are you to say that to me? I'm the greatest entertainer of Halcyon City!"

Jester spins on her tip toe in an exaggerated wave to an imaginary audience. "What have you done on your own lately, honey? Besides making out with some little sleaze on face book? Last I checked, you were polishing Sentinel's cape. In more ways than one if those pictures of you in Facebook has any thing to say..."

Ow.

"You're as much of an Hero as I am, missy...hell, you just keep doing what you're doing and we may as well kiss Halcyon, bye-bye! You're the sidekick. You're the second rater. You're liable to do more damage than ANY of us! Oh, and while everything I said was true... I was also distracting you so that Molly can embrace you from behind!"

And Mighty Molly does so, and wow, that chick is strong! Her Bear Hug has to be excruciatingly painful! You may want to do something about it...

But yeah, Jester said some biting words about you. Are you ready for the hero life? To think on your own two feet? How do you prove this? How do you show this?

Reject The Jester's influential words or suffer -1 Superior and +1 Danger

And a note to Every one... Jester is talking a bit too much, isn't she? Perhaps one of you, with a bit of creativity, could take advantage of this and blindside this nut before she does more damage?

Clockwork

Wide left.

Your shot goes wide left. Even Ape Boy is stunned at this... to the point he starts to laugh at you in ape like hoots and grunts. This was, indeed, humiliating. A true hero would not have missed that shot!

...a shot that continues to arc towards a news copter that, while it's not hit, begins to spin out of control! Oh dear, Someone may need to do something about that!

So yeah, Mark a condition. And please... please redeem yourself! Apeboy is so busy laughing at you, he is wide open!

Sparkles

His knives fly in several direction! And Clownface is stunned at this turn of events, but he also reaches into his costume for something.

...honestly, are you going to let him do this!? DO SOMETHING!

thejoshie fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 29, 2016

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Halcyon National Park in the crowd fighting lizardmen

An attack from two directions? Please! Knowing that Sparkles had her own fight under control was comforting in a way, reasuring. Hell she was doing better then some of the 'trained' heroes on the team. Far as Ashe was concerned she didn't need to worry. Not as much as she had been anyway. And that meant...

She didn't have to hold back anymore.

- - -

Directly Engage A Threat: 2d6+3 10
- Avoid their counter attack
- Impress, Suprise, or frighten them

- - -

Few people knew this, but Ashe played music to herself while she fought. It was a small thing, not deafening or distracting. It was more like mood music, accenting the scene. Hell, it barely took any concentration at all. She could do this for weeks without stopping. She'd done so in the past! And right now, she put on some nice, hard, heavy, rock. The beat sparked through her. Screaming guitars and screaming singers.

Ashe Snapped her fingers, the little pulse of sound flinging her forwards towards her foes! She twisted and span horizontal to the ground, slipping in between the attack like quicksilver! She hit the ground and skidded, anchoring herself and slingshotting off a point of solid sound. Ashe flew back in so fast the two lizards barely had time to turn! She slammed into one, feet first, and pulsed! Flipping him into his brother, The two crashing together! She tapped a hand onto the ground, switching into a flick-flack backflip before pulsing forwards again, arching over the lizards gracefully. Time seemed to slow, Ashe looked the two of them in the eye, a grin on her face. And winked.

Then she hit them with a sound pulse from close range!

Smashing them into the ground and throwing her high into the air. She whooped for joy! The thrill! The rush! The perfect landing on the top of a nearly lamp post! She stood triumphant, her heart racing! Then she decided to take stock of the situation. Lumina was in trouble! And Ashe didn't know how tough she was, but that looked like it hurt a lot! But then the people in the helicopter! Ashe was always good at fighting, but actual stopping of a crashing helicopter, she'd always left that to Sol! She didn't have the power...!

poo poo!

Wait, Lumina had Telekinesis! If she could free her! She'd have to be quick! Super quick!

- - -

Defend Someone - +1 from Influance on Lumina: 2d6+1 7
- Add Team to the Pool
- Expose myself to Danger.

- - -

Ashe pulsed, firing herself across the battle ground and slamming both of her feet into Molly's face. Ashe knew she'd have to hit her a lot harder then that. But she let the sound of the impact run through her body and into Molly, punting her off of Lumina. She backflipped and landed between Lumina and The Jester.

"Lumina! Take care of the helicopter. I've got the cosplay of a kids tv show gone wrong over here. And not even one of those good tv shows, like Captin Crunch and the Cake Pirates, but like 90s bargain basement vhs super poor quality not entertaining in any way kids shows. Why are you standing there? Go!"

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: | Location: Halcyon National Park

(12:21:32 PM) ShootaBoy: Take an Exploding Glider to the Face
(12:21:32 PM) ShootaBoy: !r 2d6
(12:21:33 PM) Krysmbot: ShootaBoy, 8 = 8
(12:21:43 PM) ShootaBoy: dice why
Gonna give ground.

Funny thing about being invincible, your body and reflexes don't really care. As far as they're concerned, you're just as squishy as a human. Never mind that that point blank explosion is more like being really close to a fire, or that the shrapnel is somewhat like getting hit with a well thrown fastball, to your reflexes they're both lethal. So between the shockwave and my instinctive 'get away' reaction I kinda... launch myself into the ground, just a little bit. Only ten feet down or so, though just a guess based on travel time.

Once I free myself from the earth's loamy clutches, shockingly enough it's not that hard to get through all the dirt if you've go super strength who would have guessed, I take a minute to check how we're doing here. Battle plan has all but disintegrated now, so there's gotta be someone that needs my help.

(1:39:07 PM) ShootaBoy: Assess the Situation
(1:39:07 PM) ShootaBoy: !r 2d6
(1:39:08 PM) Krysmbot: ShootaBoy, 6 = 6
Yay for potential~

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 29, 2016

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Potential:4/5 | Conditions: Guilty, Angry

I missed the monkey with my stream of bullets, and sent the chopper flying off into the distance. Great, okay, wonderful. I cannot allow this to happen. This foul occurance might jeopardize my reputation as a hero even further, and I'm already on thin ice with many of the 'heroes' of the city for simply existing. So I must act once more, and quickly.

Two motions, two hands. With my left, I flick it towards the news helicopter, focusing my mind to create a motion of wind and force, purple and blue , as it comes from my own constructions, to blow it perfectly back on course, exactly counteracting the previous... mishap that my last projectile had caused.

Unleash- rolled a 10 in Swampthings yesterday. If this is actually a defend, this motion and split-focus of clockwork's leaves her open, but she clears Guilty.

And then for the second one. The monkey. The fiend, the irksome thing. My eyes glint with rage as I turn back to it, focusing the rest of my attention on it, and with a simple sweep of my hand, I set it's doom in motion. One, two, twenty, a hundred of my own 'bullets', surrounding it from every direction. I would like to see it get away, this time. Frozen in mid air in a dome around it- and then suddenly in incandescent and bright motion!

<Nea_> to go with my ten earlier, directly engage, TAKE TWO
<Nea_> !roll 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Nea_, 9+1 = 10
Impress, Surprise, Frighten, and take the momentum of the fight away from the enemy.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

I glare at her furiously. "Biggest entertainer? You're the biggest trainwreck in Halcyon City, you've never beaten the Crusaders and you aren't going to start now!" And then she keeps going, and I just gap at her in openly astonished fury. "You! What the gently caress? I kissed one girl, and that mea-oof" Gritting my teeth in irritation and pain as Molly squeezes me, I start to struggle, grabbing at her arms to try and pry them open. Before I've had much of a chance, Songbird goes flying by to plant both feet in Molly's face, breaking the grip the circus act has me!

"Nice one Songbird!" She wants me to stop the helicopter from crashing, but Clockwork has already done it. Instead, I get the perfect chance to vent my frustration and anger on Jester. "I'm not a hero? What have I done on my own?? I'll show you what I can do on my own!!"

<godfish> reject influence
<godfish> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> godfish, 6 = 6
Rauri said Sparkles will spend team to boost this, so not changing stats/picking an option until we know for sure: either way, next roll succeeds

I leap backwards, grabbing Molly's arm from where it was on the ground, letting my mind run over her, through her, drawing in her own power until it's filling my body up to the brim, then I leap into the air and throw her down like a meteor right at the Scarlet Jester! "Maybe you two can polish each other's capes in loving jail!"

<godfish> lets succeed at a roll once, please, tia
<godfish> directly engage jesterrrrr
<godfish> !r 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> godfish, 9-1 = 8
will create an opportunity

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Insecure | Location: Halcyonic Park

Oh crap! The Jester's a way bigger threat than this guy - and supporting my claim is that I'm clowning on the Clown, while she's, uh, jest scary enough that half my team's struggling to take her down. And I'm like totally torn on what to do. On the one hand, if I takedown my foe, everyone will know I beat him totally by myself and without any help. But on the other, larger hand - guess I'm a crab for this metaphor or imagery or whatever I'm supposed to call it, I'm doing bad in English - it looks like Lumina just got sneak attacked, and ahhhhh! That's not good, and it'd definitely be the right thing for me to do to help her out...

So, instead of focusing on my stupidly creepy foe, I sprint over towards where Lumina and Songbird are fighting Molly and Jester. Since I'm me it doesn't seem like anyone's paying me much attention - which gives me time to both line up my shot and think of the perfect thing to say in Lumina's defense, since Jester's being a jerk to her... and while it's kinda funny to watch Lumina be on the receiving end of a put-down for once, it's still not right.

Tapping my S-Blaster, I'm switching to yet another weapon - and I've got Jester and Molly in my sights. "Yeah! Lumina's a hero, and you're a zero! Speaking of - Absolute Zero Cannon!" The business end of my blaster glows blue, energy making a cool lens flare effect, and then a massive cryonic blast shoots directly towards them. It may not actually be absolute zero, since there's no real easy way to generate that even WITH Superscience - but after the other attacks these two have suffered, it's gotta be enough!

Spending a team to raise Lumina's Reject roll by 1.

<Rauri> Directly Engage Jester
<Rauri> !r 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 6 - 1 = 5
Potential! Also a failure right in front of Lumina, which should be good.

thejoshie
May 3, 2013
Songbird, the twins are down! Good job!

...though your dancesteps onto Molly's face weren't quite enough to stop her, it does help (more on that later).

Your concern, however, lies with Clownface, whom Sparkles had ignored. See, he reached into the crotch of his clown suit and pulled out his balls...

...his JUGGLING balls.

And he begins to juggle them. Till he looks at you and chucks them at your direction. The first one explodes with a pop and some sort of mist that has an almond smell to it is released...

...this gas can't be good. What do you do, as there are a good dozen of them flying towards your team, and only you can stop them...

Sparkles and Lumina, was that... was that teamwork? Between the two of you!? Well... wow...

Sparkles, as the meteor thrown Molly slams into The Jester, your shot hits them both! Describe the effects!

Lumina, how does it feel to have Sparkles, of all people, deliver the finishing blow? Also, what do you do now, with the battle wrapping up?

Sagramore, I don't know which is worse:

A- Your hurt pride

or

B- The fact that you missed a tiny, robotic drone fly over your head, turn invisible and fly away from the park. A drone that will spell a very bad conflict in the near future... for your team, and 'especially' for Sparkles!

But, that isn't till later. For now, as you make your spectacular landing, you catch Clownface throwing his balls at Songbirds face! You can't stand for that, can you!? Do something about Clownface and end this nonsense!

Clockwork, You finish off Ape Boy in a way that makes 'Overkill' an understatement. Ape Boy is down.

And the Helicopter is also down safely, thanks to you. However, the people inside are looking at you with fear in their eyes... the price of sharing the likeness of a villain! What do you do to calm them?

And how do you detain Ape Boy for the police?

====

Sometime in the near future... AFTER the battle in the park...

Ah, yes... the tiny mechanical drone.

It cuts through the night sky, it's destination ending to an undesclosed location. A mountain, whose mountain top reveals a fortress... a fortress whose technology is so advanced... even the Crusader's moon base fails to detect it's location.

...Wally Tower Mk 2 (the first was destroyed by the previous Crusaders).

~The Beat Drone returns, Doctor Wally.~

And old man turns from his latest creation to watch the drone drop it's altitude to hover in front of him. Pursing his lips, he hobbles over, leaning on his cane as he looks adoringly at the drone like it was a loving child. "Finished your mission so soon. Good Beat. Unlike my other warriors, you never fail me..."

He glares over at Alpha for a second before turning a cold shoulder. "Sigma, show Beat's findings!"

~As you command, Doctor.~

A panel on the floor slides open, as a tube plugs into Beat and a whirring sound is heard. Soon, holographic images shows up.

~The troupe were routinly dispatched and Beat has taken scans of each of the Crusaders. They consist of five individuals of varying power levels. Lumina, Sagramore...~

Wally listened as Sigma prattled on. The AI was so overwinded, but such was the price of making sure it was self learning and self aware. Soon it got to the juicy bits. The analysis of the battle. The Analysis of the team..."

The analysis of 'her'.

"There! Pause!" He says, leaning on his cane and looking at Sparkles. "While I may not have the Professor... and I may not have the suit... I can finish my own with this data! I have the money and technology! With my superior intelligence, I will use Professor Thomas' own ideas against his greatest creation, take down the Crusaders and then... rule the world!

He turns to look at his newest warriors.

"Soon, my friends... soon Halcyon will be crushed under your boots." He smiles. "With the new data from the Crusader's latest battle, you will be equipped to strike at their weaknesses."

...he then turns to her...

"And you... my newest creation... my latest creation... my 'greatest' creation... with Sparkles data, you'll will show that pretendor what that suit can really do, without the stumbling block of morals and honor."

His hand pressed onto the glass that contained her hovering hbernating body. "...Proto... you will be the spear of my global conquest..."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Fre: +1 | Dan: +0 | Sav: +1 | Sup: +2 | Mun: -1

I'm not fussed really. No, really. The important part is that we managed to take out the clowns pretty quickly, and if we all managed to look good to help our reputation with the public from Sparkles landing an impressive looking (since Sagramore and I did all the work setting it up) finish on Molly and the Scarlet Jester, then our position will be that much more secure. And her chiming in to support me was unneeded, but I appreciate it anyway, so I give Sparkles a rare sincere smile. "Nice combo Sparkles. And good working taking down Clownface so fast as well, I was a bit worried about that match up at first." I start forward towards the two criminals we just took down to bind them up for the police to take care of. "Maybe I was wro-" My praise is cut off abruptly, as I glance back over my shoulder to look at Sparkles, instead seeing the cloud of gas and several bombs flying at us from a Clownface who is still very much not down for the count.

"poo poo!" I dive for Sparkles and the ground, pulling her down at the same time as I push against the air, creating a gust of wind strong enough to blow the gas up and away from us. Someone else is going to have to take care of the bombs heading for the rest of the team though. I don't say anything about Clownface still being up to Sparkles, but my expression, even flat against the ground, makes it clear I'm rather disappointed.

<godfish> defend Sparkles
<godfish> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> godfish, 10+2 = 12
Taking Influence, but since Lumina already has influence over Sparkles, it goes to a label swap.
Giving Sparkles Mundane up, Savior down, which since Mundane can't go up any higher, gives her a condition of TheJoshie's choice.
<TheJoshie> Guilty.
<TheJoshie> I choose Guilty.

also, as per rejecting Jester's influence last post, raising Danger up and Mundane down

GodFish fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 4, 2016

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

The child was down for the count. Only one more left. One more thing, one more foe. The Sad Little Clown. Aping the style of villains and ideas much greater than him. That's what this all is- a farce. These villains, these horrid things, they're nothing but a farce. The D-list of the world. We barely suffered taking them down. Our predecessors fared ever better in their previous battles. The world was silent, for a long moment, as I comptemplated the past, the present, and the future. Blue Witch could have handled these five on her own- as could the once and future Kyoko Amari.

i suppose, in a way, I honored one of those people today. In another, the other. In the swift and careful motions that saved not only the helicopter but the crowd, that dispatched Ape Boy and protected the symbol of our future- then yes, I honored my mentor. I did what she always expected me to.

In my cruel overkill, and the look in the eyes of the crowd, I have honored Kyoko Amari.

In the thoughts and projections of my mind, weasling into Clownface's, in the memories of myself and him blending together, his every failure at the forefront of his mind, every defeat, every moment when his cruelty or idiocy cost him or the world something, every loss for nothing, nothing accomplished, forcing this into his eyes, forcing every moment of weakness into the forefront of his mind, I honor her too.
<NeaCell> Directly engage A Clown
<NeaCell> !roll 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> NeaCell, 9+1 = 10
Avoid his blows.
From him, I take away any dreams of being a big time villain, of /success/ at this path in life. He is what I see of him- a hapless thing committing unthinking cruelty, a worm who society forgot.

I turn to the crowd, eyes glinting with triumph- and sadness, in turn. "We are the Halcyon Crusaders. We did not ask to be the Crusaders. We did not want to be, not yet. It was not meant to be, not the time for our mentors to depart, not yet, but they are gone, all except for one. And so it falls to us. In turn, perhaps we will earn that role.

In turn, please, give us- and me- a chance. We have our own burdens to bear, our own crosses. You know of the villain that calls herself Kyoko Amari, and know me by the same name. We are not one and the same- we come from the same place, the same time, but we are not one. I struggle every day to keep that true. While we can- give us time. Today we have earned a small victory."

And with that, I turn, back towards the team- walking to meet back up with them. It's a shame that the statue will never be seen, but statues are temporal. Lives are not, and today, none were lost.

I hope.

[i<NeaCell> Provoke the crowd
<NeaCell> !roll 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> NeaCell, 8-1 = 7
Actually a statement to the cameras.
Get an oppourtunity from the viewers.
your statement frames you, in particular, as a successful and noteworthy hero of
the city; mark potential
Five out of five potential.[/i]

I must be stronger, today.
I must be stronger for the rest of my life. She's laughing at me, laughing at me.

I must find new ways to live, and to act, and to be.

There is a strength within- a power untapped.
Power from experience.
Power from sorrow.
Power from myself.

I will grow.

Unlock-
Burn and Flares.

Flares will be decided /tomorrow/

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Halcyon National Park - Stopping bombs

Oh no! Ashe screams! "EVERYONE DOWN!!!!!" And starts unleashing sound blast after sound blast at the encroaching bombs, forcing them together, killing the momentum. But still they were too dangerious... The gas could hurt a lot of people. The only option would be to stop them here. Throwing them up would only give the gas a chance to spread!

She glanced at Lumina and Sparkles as she passed, she couldn't let them get hurt. She'd been so worried about Sparkles this whole time, she'd really proven herself as a fighter, as a hero. But now this could seriously hurt her! She couldn't let it happen!

She tried really REALLY REALLY hard to not think about how nice it would be to be sandwiched between the two of them right now. Maybe later. If she even had a later...

Ashe started forming a bubble of sound, a barrier of solid noise around the collection of bombs, She put everything into it, the wind, the sounds of screaming from the audience, the distant sound of traffic. Her own desparate scream, she put everything she could muster into stopping these things.

- - -

Defend Someone - +1 from Influence on Sparkles: 2d6+1 6
+1 Potential.

- - -

The Bombs went off! And Ashe immediately felt the blast hit her like a truck, her song wavered, she was loosing it! No! NO!

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Insecure, Guilty

Huzzah! I nailed those two villains like, dead on! Turns out neither of them liked getting overloaded with pure Sparkle Power (aka kinetic laserblasts). I got off a three round burst of bright yellow blasts, and while Molly managed to take two, the other attacks she's taken must've worn her out - she finally goes down, and the last one hit Jester square in the chest. It's kinda funny to watch her go all ragdoll, but these blasters of mine are nonlethal - I'm not too worried about her to be honest.

I don't have time to be. The, uh, the Clownface guy I was fighting? He's got Gas. Ughhh, that's so unfair - I can't do anything about it either! Even worse, Lumina was like... just in the middle of complimenting me about beating him, it was amazing to even hear it and now he's gone and hosed it up! Wanna know how I know? The look she gives me - right after probably saving me - said it all. It's, ughhh, is she gonna try and kick me off the team? She's got me kinda pinned under her, and that's making this even more uncomfortable. "Lumina, I wanted to-"

Songbird's sonic powers are kinda hard to ignore (or talk over) and I realize what I need to do a split second after I hear her. Clownface bombing us all is my fault, and now a second teammate's having to help clean up my mess. At the very least I should be doing my all to assist! "Sorry!" I yell, before half-moving, half-shoving a surprised Lumina off of me. Springing to my feet I'm off in a flash to back Lumina up, switching my blaster to the Sonic Wave setting and unleashing it to help her out.

"I got you!" I assure Songbird with as loud of a yell as I can manage, about ten feet behind her and with my blaster zapping different bombs as necessary. The positioning is a little like being on the Volleyball court, to be honest... so that familiarity is helping me focus, know what to do. Actually feel like I belong here for once. "I can catch you if you need it!"

Spending a team to increase Songbird's roll to a 7. Also,
<Rauri> Defend Songbird
<Rauri> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 10 = 10
Clearing a condition, in this case Insecure.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 4, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Sparkles is about to say something, but whatever it is gets cut off mid sentance as all the sound is sucked up into Songbird's attempt to shield us all from the bombs. Before I have a chance to do anything about that, Sparkles has shoved me off to add sonic blasts into the mix - at least she can think fast on her feet - and I have to think fast in the air, catching myself mentally before I've hit the ground again.

Taking in the situation, it looks like the sonic blasts from Sparkles is giving Songbird enough sound to work with, but she's going to catch her as well, come on Sparkles focus! I reach out mentally to her mind 'Sparkles! Focus on the sound blasts, I've got Songbird! And from there, I reach out to catch Songbird, slowly her flight midair, turning her back to face the bombs and the sound 'Keep it up, I've got you!'. From there, slowly and carefully so as not to disturb her focus, I lower her down, almost in sitting position, until I finally let her drop the last few inches - right into my arms. "Gotcha!"

I glance down at her and smile, then look up at the team as I float the pair of us down to the ground. "Good saves there everyone!" Oh. I should uh. Probably put Songbird down now. Yeah. Hastily, I set her back on her feet, brushing some invisible dust off her shoulder, and look back at the team to cover the moment. "Anyone hurt? Clockwork, any chance you can do some timey thing to fix the statue?"

Intercepting Songbird with Rauri's permission

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Halcyon National Park - Trying to not think naughty thoughts

The explosion was getting so hard to contain. Sweat pored down Ashe's face as she started to get pushed back. Her body ached, she couldn't keep this up! But then Sparkles! <3 Sparkles! <3 jumped in offering to catch her and adding to the sound. God! She could kiss her right now!!! A grin hit her face roughly around the same time the blush did. But she could play that off as excursion, maybe. She forced the bubble closed again, at least until the explosion had had enough and blew her backwards! The blast had been contained, but she was now feeling the effect of it. She closed her eyes and waited for the impact, too stunned to try and land it. That's when she felt her momentum slowing, and found Lumina's arms close around her.

She gasped and panted. Out of breath, and this blush was TOTALLY not because Lumina was holding her very softly, and then she smiled at her, ahh poo poo, ahh poo poo! Breath, breath!! Thankfully Lumina put her back on her feet. She lent into her knees and panted. Glancing over at Sparkles. Unless she calmed down a little bit, she just might kiss her. Or Lumina. Or both of them. The mental image of a Sparkles-Lumina sandwich flashed into her mind again, and she hurriedly buried it!

"Good work guys... I think that went well, for an ambush in amongst a massive crowd of people. Sparkles, awesome shooting and thanks for the assist! Lumina, really appreciate the catch. Clockwork, Good job catching the chopper, didn't see what happened to it, but you still caught it and that's what counts. Sags, thanks for taking all the heavy punishment. You're definitely as hard as they say. Phew!" Ashe stood up, having congratulated the team. They'd all done well, far as she'd seen. She'd not seen everything, but it looked like everyone had done a pretty good job!

She was deffinatly going to need to talk to Sparkles later. That was her second big fight as a member of the team. She'd done really well! But Ashe didn't want the success to go to her head. But she didn't want her worrying about anything ether. Plus, as much as she was trying to not think about it, she really wanted Sparkles to catch her. Maybe put her hands somewhere they weren't supposed to be- okay, not now, not a good time, bad thoughts, bad!

All the same, she shot her a thumbs up, and blushed a little bit harder.

Ashe lent against Lumina for a moment, while she shook the soreness out of her limbs. Explosions stung, okay?

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Insecure, Guilty

Well... at least I tried, I guess.

Doesn't look like Songbird needed my help - Lumina not only has her, she had time to instruct me on what to do while she's saving her. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm glad my teammate's safe now, that was the whole point of me trying to help her. That said, like, is it really so much to ask that I be the person to save the day every now and again? I'm doing my absolute best here, but like, guess I'm even more of a gently caress-up than Frank thinks I am - my big heroic moment here was totally pointless. Guess I contributed some sound, but I probably could've just yelled for that. Maybe whined about my life loud enough, that've definitely done it.

Sigh. It's clear Songbird's happy with me, since she's dependably nice to me, but that doesn't really make me feel all that much better (well it kinda does, but it's more physical than emotional...) And Lumina's supporting her anyways, Clownface is down, Clockwork's talking to the crowds - yeah, there's really nothing that I have to do to help out. So no one will notice if I kinda, I dunno, move away from everyone else for a bit. "Uh, yeah, that all went great!" I respond as enthusiastically as I can, even though my heart's not in it at all.

I'm going to go be by myself so I can sulk, alright? I feel kinda like crap and I don't want anyone to notice.

"I'm, uh, going to go see if any of Jester's gear is still usable," I assure my teammates, then prance off towards where our foe's passed out in a heap, hoping to sort through her stuff real quick. Can't let anyone see the look on my face, after all. Maybe there'll be something she had that really helps me out, something that'll help me be less of a screwup.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Halcyon National Park - Trying to not think naughty thoughts

Ashe watches Sparkles walk away, and she's determined to make sure that she knows that her contribution was valuable. She wants her to know it was incredibly important that Sparkles jumped to her aid like that. That blast would have taken of her arm if Sparkles hadn't stepped in!

Ashe chewed her lip and then walked casually over to where Sparkles was crouching down. Okay, maybe she wanted to be along right now. But Ashe was not the sort to consider things like that. She hunkered down next to her, as though also checking to see if there was salvigable equipment. She spoke quietely, but passed the sound to Sparkles ear, and imbued it with as much... feeling as she could.

"Hey. Seriously, if you hadn't done what you did... I might not be standing here right now. I'd probably be... not well. Look, I wanted to say, I was really impressed by what you did here today. It was really cool! And, if I'm honest. The moment you stepped up behind me, I knew I'd be okay. Because you said you'd catch me. So, I'm going to hold you to that promise. I can't wait for the moment you catch me." She winked, and then stood up shaking her head, as though she'd not found anything of use to her. But her blush might have said otherwise. Though that said she was still breathing pretty heavily.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: | Location: Halcyon National Park

Well I was going to go and give Clownface a little love tap, but Clockwork took care of him pretty quickly, and while that was happening Sparkles, Songbird, and Lumina finished off the rest of the Troupe, bringing an end the the super battle. Whew. Could have gone a lot worse honestly. None of the civilians got hurt since the Troupe was entirely focused on us, and the Deputy-Mayor made it to safety as well. Huh, I guess... I guess there's not much I can do now.

Take to the air, it's so much faster than walking, and land over by Sparkles and Songbird, looks like they're digging through the Scarlet Jesters gear. "Everybody alright over here? I don't think the Troupe got a good hit on anyone who wasn't me, but it's good to be sure. And good work Sparkles I saw how you..." I trail off a bit as I very obviously think, it's not 'cause she didn't do good! I just didn't see any of it is all! After a second I settle on, "That was a nice takedown of Mighty Molly and the Scarlet Jester." But it doesn't really mean much at that point. Good job Sagramore, you're the best hero.

(2:41:08 AM) ShootaBoy: Comfort Sparkles
(2:41:08 AM) ShootaBoy: !r 2d6+2
(2:41:09 AM) Krysmbot: ShootaBoy, 2+2 = 4
(2:41:15 AM) ShootaBoy: ...

thejoshie
May 3, 2013
Sagramore, you are rushed by a swarm of cameras, microphones and reporters! One woman in particular shoves to the front...

"Sagramore? This is Linda Lane, HCN! You are part of a long line of heroes bearing your same name, men and women have wore that costume... how do you feel about the burden of both being the newest Sagramore AND the newest Crusader? Do you think you're worthy of the challenge?"

As you begin to answer, you glance at the civilians several feet behind the reporters...

You see your uncle. He shakes his head at you, frowning. He is obviously not impressed, which put butterflies in your stomach!

Mark Insecure.

Oh... and Answer Linda's Question!

Sparkles

"...what do you think you are doing, girlie!? Move away, move away!"

A heavy scottish accent interupts your search of the satchel bag that Jester dropped.

The accent belongs to a heavy set man, wearing a suit. He has other officers in uniforms walking around. "Alright gentlemen, close off the area, get the restraints on these wackos, bag and tag their equipment."

He turns to look at you. "...Ms. Sparkles, is it? You should've known better than to try and take evidence from a crime scene! That is obstruction to justice! Even a basic hero know this!"

...he has a point sparkles. How could you forget that!? Maybe you still have a long way of learning this hero business.

...still, what cool stuff could be in that satchel? what improvments could your grandpa make? It's all so exciting! If you still want the satchel and the tech, What do you do to convince this man to release it into your custody. Remember, he has influence over you, so you need to somehow push his buttons to provoke him.

Lumina

Well, things has settled down, haven't they? And look, someone is approaching you.

I forgot her name, but she is an FBI agent. Superhuman Affairs Unit, Halcyon Division. You remember her name right?

Anyway, she approaches you (Hey, Songbird, watch where your eyes are going!), and stops to look over at another man who is speaking to Sparkles, before turning to speak to you. "Lumina, excellant working taking these bozos down."

She nodded. "Any chance I can contact Sentinel and see how she wishes to oversee clean-up?"

...again, you are overlooked for your Mentor. Sentinel is here now, you are!

How do you convince this woman that you are more than capable of handling things and working with her?

Songbird

I'm not even going to ask if you're looking at the rear end of the FBI agent (because we all know you are), instead I want ask about the text you received during the fight.

...wait, what do you mean 'what text!?' didn't you hear your cell phone be-

OH! Right! You turned it onto silence. Well yeah, text:

Text posted:

Ashe, where are you!? I'm at your house. Bobby is worried and scared, there was an attack at the park!

This is loving rediculous! You don't answer your phone, you don't return text... I know you don't care a lick about the band, but dammit, at least be there for Bobby, he adores you!

But yeah. I'm sure you could care less. Whatever.

Ouch.

Are you going to respond to that text? Or will you push it off to help the team in the clean up? what's going to take priority here: Ashe or Songbird?

Clockwork

Your attack is more than enough to turn Clown Face from dangerous, to useless. He is sitting on the ground, blank faced, rocking back and forth in an Indian position. I think it's safe to say that you broke him, and by extension, ended this conflict.

Welp, it's all over. Nothing left to do but...

"Hey! Menace!"

Oh no. It's him. That reporter from that tabloid that follows Superhumans. What was the name of the Tabloid? And who is this reporter who follows you around and consistently not let your past rest.

"You may fool everyone else with your honeyed words, but I saw it! I saw your eyes... you're becoming more and more like her... and you will kill us all!"

...oh, and did I mention that he was a psychic as well. He also has future flashes. So he knows about your 'possible' future.

... a future that he is 'sure' will happen.

"...you didn't hold back... you nearly killed him... AND destroy that press copter! You don't belong with this team! How the hell was it even allowed!?"

Clockwork, how do you respond to this?

thejoshie fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 5, 2016

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

That was a nice arse. Like, tight and toned. But it was a dangerous arse to examine in detail. But it was the firearm that concerned her more. It was unlikely that she'd pull it on them, but it never hurt to be overcautious. She checked her phone. Whistling. poo poo... Okay, right now she needed to IRL and get to Candy and Bobby. She sent the sound of her whistle to each of the team. Changing the sound into words. It was her fav trick.

"Guys, I've got an RL situation to clear up. I'll try and come back asap. But it's going to be hard to say when. Text me when you've got a chance." she messaged. Then she did a stretch and listened, saying out loud. "Alright guys, looks like you've got this covered, I'm going to get back to patrols!" she boosted up into the air and away, back into the mix of buildings. Heading back to the alley outside her flat. She put normal clothes over her costume. She looked exhausted under her mask, deep bags under her eyes. By all rights she looked unwell. She looked like she'd been crying. It was always the side effect of overusing her power like that. She walked around to the front of her flat block, and found the pair of them Candy, and Bobby. She gave them a shaky smile.

"H-Hey you two. You coming in?" She reached for her key and unlocked the door. The flat was a bit of a tip, if she was honest, she'd let it go following Sol's death. She'd taken the whole thing really hard, that hadn't been a lie.

"Sorry for the mess." She said, moving some discarded boxes to make room on the sofa. Putting them near the bin. "Hey champ, what's up? You look like you've had a rough one!"

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Insecure | Location: Halcyon National Park

And then the press shows up. Bit slow today, the villains were all actually down this time. I take off again, not high, but just enough to put me head and shoulders above the press, basically an improvised podium. Flight is handy for a lot more than just flying. Of course getting above the throng lets me see Uncle Hamish and his disappointment. Yeah, we kinda made a mess of the whole thing. My gaze catches the Sagramore sized hole in the ground, and I'm once again glad my mask is opaque so the press can't see me wince. Or see the face I pull when Songbird sounds into my ear, you've got no idea how weird that feels, and then she takes off. Great. Right in front of Uncle Hamish, wonderful.

I wave my hands in the universal gesture for 'quiet down' after the first reporter pushes her way to the head of the pack. "A hero is not born, Miss Lane, a hero is made. And the biggest part of that is making a choice, choosing take on burdens and challenges so that other people don't have to. I'd give up my powers in a second if it would bring the old team back, but it won't, so it falls to us to take up where they left off, as saviors and protectors of this fair city. I think I speak for the whole team when I say that we're committed to upholding the Crusader's name and to keeping Halcyon City safe. Next question please."

(3:50:55 PM) ShootaBoy: Make a Statement to the Cameras
(3:50:55 PM) ShootaBoy: !r 2d6
(3:50:56 PM) Krysmbot: ShootaBoy, 9 = 9
I'm gonna convince the audience to see us as Saviors, and my statement is not going to upset anyone important or powerful.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: None

I frown slightly as Songbird's message arrives, its a good thing this real life thing didn't happen in the middle of the fight... Constantly having to run off to deal with things makes it a bit difficult to coordinate and lead our team. I reach out mentally to her, not reading her mind, but more feeling around the shape of it. What's so important that she's running off for, what keeps her so busy? Is she hiding something?

<godfish> pierce songbirds mask
<godfish> !r 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> godfish, 2-1 = 1
<godfish> ....heh
<godfish> guess I don't need to take influence into account :V

Before she's gone too far, I broadcast to the team, 'Will do a debriefing in two hours back at the base. If Songbird isn't there, we'll do it without her and I'll do a one on one with her.' Then I turn to the approaching FBI Agent. Now, obviously I remember her name, I am quite smart, but even if I didn't I could reach out to her mind and find it easily enough. She's Agent Sparrow. Samantha Sparrow. Stepping forward, I put on a smile I don't entirely feel to greet her. "Agent Sparrow, thanks for coming so quickly. No need, I can handle that. I think its time we send the circus act here to the Undervault -a prison built to contain superpowered criminals, designed and using a deal of Sentinel tech- they don't really warrant it powerwise, but I think we're all sick of them escaping and coming back to bomb something over and over again." I glance around the ruins of the park, sighing slightly. Looks like Clockwork can't do anything about the statue, and rest is a mess. "Standard procedure for the cleanup and the gear, catalog all the equipment you get off them and send anything unusual or on the dangerous list to Crusader Hall for analysis and disposal." Finished, I give her another smile. "That cover everything? Oh, and I'd like any information you can get on how the Troupe escaped this time, and where they were hiding."

provoking Agent Sparrow with professionalism
<godfish> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> godfish, 6+2 = 8
want her to treat Lumina like she's in charge/follow the instructions laid out by her

GodFish fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 5, 2016

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Actually taking the move I Am What You See: When you spend time talking to someone about your identity, you can ask them which Label they want to impose on you; their player will tell you honestly. If you accept what they tell you, take +1 forward and either mark potential or clear a condition.

I was almost done. I'd almost finished my task, and I was almost ready to retreat, and see no other person this day. Hide out in the Time Beyond Time, and think on the day's events, try to figure out what truths and lies that the future holds for me, and figure out... things, in general. A short fight and a long ceremony. Today was about as exhausting as it could have been- even now, with the adrenaline rushing through my body, it is tempered- by the gnawing at my thoughts, at my mind, never ceasing, never stopping, and the knowledge that I perhaps have not done as well as I can today.

I have destroyed one person and broken another.

And now a reporter. They know the what and not the why of my sins and my follys. Cruz Delarosa. That... Dick. Long haired and greasy, the 'ace reporter' of the rag The Midnight Report- a sort of daily show tabloid. Their 'Television' 'Show', for lack of a better word for either of those things, one that better fits the literal dogshit that they produce, covers all the heroes and villains in the most salacious ways possible.
Of course, they DO have a psychic reporter, so.

That's helpful.

"Hello, Cruz." I say, standing up straight and tall, my small heels adding just a bit of height- I am not a large person, but somehow it still seems that most of the time I am... imposing, to say the least. Probably because of the whole 'share a name and powers with a literal supervillain' thing, that probably helps. "I would like you to note, thusly, that in this situation I happen to be in control, not to mention the fact that the helicopter issue was easily fixed. Secondly, I was appointed to this team by Blue Witch- who has spent far more time in the heroism game than you have, I believe. I intend to forge the future where I succeed, even if I have to do it by my own bare hands. And fourthly- and finally, who the gently caress appointed you the judge of this poo poo? You want to talk about someone who isn't a hero, you have psychic powers and can see the flow of time, and you don't use it to help people-

You don't use it to save people

You don't even use it for ANY productive purpose- you write for a loving National Enquirer level show, you pull people's drat dirty laundry onto the air, and not even the good laundry- why don't you expose a crime lord or something one of these days, you actual, literal /hack/."

I can almost /feel/ his emotional reactions- an opening salvo has been launched, and this will let me figure out how to get him to, well-
<NeaCell> Pierce the mask
<NeaCell> !roll 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> NeaCell, 9-1 = 8
I hosed up- condition takes it to 6, but my mundane is actually 0, so 7.
How can I get your character to gently caress off forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Guilty

Songbird and Sagramore tried to make me feel better - which I totally appreciate. I mean, neither did a totally amazing job at it (Songbird was probably just being nice, while based on Sag's compliment he definitely was) but the effort was there at least. It's not the public debut I was hoping for, but at least half my teammates are decent enough to pretend I'm actually good at this hero stuff.

Looking through a bunch of high-tech bombs and various other gadgets that Jester seems to have stocked, I'm about to grab what looks like an expanding giant mallet when some fat police officer comes over and starts barking orders. Unlike my teammates though, he doesn't give a poo poo about making me feel like poo poo - my mouth actually drops when he implies that I'm a crappy beginner hero. I mean, it's true, but like... I always thought of the police as taking orders from the heroes, not the other way around. And besides I took Jester out, so I should get to loot her equipment - that mallet's a leet quip, probably, and he's basically stealing it from me!

"Oh c'mon man," I implore, scratching the back of my head and running my fingers through my long brown hair while I gesture at the Jester's equipment. "Me taking one is the same as like, her having used it during the fight - and if I have it, it'll help me defend people!" I glance up at him from behind my domino mask, smiling weakly - I mean, surely that's why he became a policeman, right? It's not why I'm a hero, but at least I can pretend.

"I'm just trying to do my best, I need every edge I can get..." He's gotta let me, this'll look super embarrassing if I can't even get one policeman to acknowledge me as a superhero. "Pleaseeee!"

<Rauri> Plead with (Provoke) Policemanofficer
<Rauri> !r 2d6-2
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 8 - 2 = 6
<Rauri> wow actually kinda close

Rauri fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 5, 2016

• Locked thread