Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I know everyone has their favorite character to poo poo on, but Grieving Mother was the one I really didn't mind feeding to the blood pit as soon as I recruited her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Kajeesus posted:

My biggest letdown in PoE was that they replaced the RPG standard set of English/French/Spanish/Arabic/Japanese cultures and had poo poo like Inuit dwarves and Hawaiian shark people, but still set the game entirely in Celtic America.

Yeah, set the next game in someplace like Rauatai because that place sounds cool. Or if that's too crazy, the Valian Republics.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Those are probably just placeholders during development, but I hope they can get appropriate portraits in if only because, yeah, those models don't look so hot close up.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I know I am concerned that the talky skills increment in a sensible way, because in ES games it was always a counter intuitive chore to be a talk guy.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Nasgate posted:

This thread is already derailing into the same kind of who's worse? Arguing that the New Vegas thread does, so im pretty pumped.

I can dig it. I haven't gotten into a lot of the preview stuff but I am still anticipating this game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Is there a resource on skills, spells, abilities, etcetera I can look at? I like to make warrior scholars. PoE's use of lore as a dialogue and scroll skill was ideal to my preferred lorebarian. Do you have to be an active spellcaster to improve the lore skill?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Accordion Man posted:

Lore, along with Athletics and Subterfuge, are separate skills from the combat related ones apparently.

What I saw earlier today was a video on spell creation that showed that in order to equip spells you need a high lore. So obviously grinding up lore is essential to spell centric characters but is it the same for warrior/rogue like abilities? Is there a benefit for a muscleman to take lore?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

Also REAL dudes would never call XCOM "tactical". You can't even target body parts

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

AriadneThread posted:

where's my myth-like tactics game
i demand answers

There was a Myth-like I played once called Saint Eyes. It was Korean. I played to a point where I couldn't win anymore because the guys I'd leveled up got blown to bits and I couldn't afford to buy enough replacements to keep going. I've always wanted to try it again with a little more effort and planning instead of flying by the seat of my pants. And maybe a translation.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

ZearothK posted:

Nah, I prefer turn-based too. I feel Divinity: Original Sin had the best combat of all recent party RPGs.

Shadowrun Returns and Hong Kong weren't perfect but I liked them. AP ruled everything so abilities that controlled it were no-brainers, so I always ran characters that would let me cast haste, and always had a supply of +AP drugs just in case. And I wish cover was more intuitive. It was hard to tell what could be considered a flanking shot a lot of the time. Still fun games, and while it took most of a game to get going, I loving loved hosing down fields of foes with a Vindicator minigun.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I have to go to work soon so I wont get to play until tonight, but I have Tyranny pre-loaded on Steam.

I don't normally call in to work, but I really want to today. Not so much because the game is gonna be good and I'm excited for as I'm a little down about the election and my cousin died this week, so I kind of just want to curl up and ignore anything else for a bit. This game might be the best thing to me happen this week.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Game keeps going nonresponsive for me.

Haven't finished the initial act. Met Eb, but apparently I'd met her before during the Conquest! That's neat. Then I kept going to the zone at the far right of the map and the five guys hanging around there turn poor Barik into scrap and then burn me and Verse down.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Deified Data posted:

Don't feel bad, I never got past character creation last night.

My first five hours with this game were finding the perfect picture for my character portrait.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So I want to claim the Spire rather than let Nerat have it. Do I have to kill Fifth Eye?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Well it seems I didn't save enough Vendrien guys or something despite all my efforts, because I never got a chance to talk to Arri and now the all the favor I'd made with the Guard is wiped out. :(

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

I thought Verse and Ed were cool, but holy hell does Sirin get on my drat nerves.

Well, she is 15. That actually caught me by surprise. I wasn't expecting her to be quite that young.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So how do I turn off ai? Verse keeps changing her stances when I specced her to be untouchable with three whispers. And Barik has a bad habit of running away from a fight in progress to heal someone with the heal spell I gave him to tend his own wounds.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Library has a lore trainer, but (depending on conquest choices?) the infirmary can have a better one.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah a problem lots of games like this run into is that the pc outlevels the cnpc by quite a bit, but in this game my guy is consistently the same level or as much as two lower than my companions.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Besides the trainer, what does the infirmary do?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

The library trainer can at least train me 75 times so I think I can hold out for more spires before i get the infirmary if that's the case.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Getting enough of the defensive talents to make, for example, Verse literally untouchable and then going ham on the offensive stuff seems like a good way to go so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I find myself wanting some option for random encounters or something so I can just murder some people with my new spells and abilities without possibly feeling bad or killing people I want alive.

• Locked thread