Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Not sure if this should go in here or HOTS, but it's a bit more involved than herp derp how is bios updated?

Is there any VM solution out there that will allow direct access to individual partitions from a VM?

I currently dual-boot Windows 10 and Gentoo, with Win10 for gaming and Gentoo for pretty much everything else. It's a Skylake laptop with nVidia Optimus so basically I need to be bleeding edge for it to even work, and the Intel GPU drivers for Win10 are still sucky. It's a pain in the arse to reboot all the time.

So what I'd like to do is create a 200MB virtual disk that contains just a bootloader and kernel, but then have my two ext4 partitions accessed directly from the Linux VM. That way if boot into Windows and have the VM start up full screen then I still get the nice environment, and it's a piece of piss to switch out for gaming.

HyperV can't do this, so what do I try next? I have VMWare Workstation available if need be:

System specs:
Laptop: Clevo N150RD, 16GB 2.66GHz Skylake i7
Primary GPU: Intel HD530 graphics
Secondary GPU: nVidia 960M (Optimus)

Disk1: Samsung SM951 NVMe 256GB
/dev/nvme0n1p1 - 200MB fat32 EFI (rEFInd boot loader)
/dev/nvme0n1p2 - 16MB Microsoft Reserved (what the hell is this for anyway??
/dev/nvme0n1p3 - 175GB /mnt/windows ntfs Windows C:
/dev/nvme0n1p4 - 8 GB Linux swap/suspend
/dev/nvme0n1p5 - 20GB /home
/dev/nvme0n1p6 - 30GB /

Disk2: Intel SSD 330 240GB
/dev/sda1 - 240GB /mnt/data ntfs Windows D:

The D: / data partition has redirected folders, e.g. symlinks from e.g. /home/lum/Documents to /mnt/data/Users/lum/Documents and the Windows user directories relocated to D: I realise this would have to be done via SMB.

The alternative solution would be to have a Linux host and Windows guest with GPU passthrough, but nVidia are dicks and block this at driver-level and the card is new enough that the existing hacks do not work. Short of soldering new resistors to my mobo to change it into a Quadro, this isn't gonna happen :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Bummer about the Nvidia card, because KVM can do this.

It will passthrough any filesystem so would accomplish what you want.

Maybe you can ask the KVM guys what to do about the card? They might be willing to help.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I do know that on Linux at least, Qemu can read off of partitions directly, unsure about Windows port - but may want to try giving that a shot.

• Locked thread