Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/back-house-vows-continue-gun-control-protests-house/story?id=40045649

Democratic Party representatives in the House recently ended a sit-in protest they had held since yesterday to try to force Speaker Paul Ryan to put two bills up for a vote. They are physically sitting on the floor and chanting to prevent the House from doing business.

Were the Democrats working this hard to pass bills that would end our 12+ year long occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan? Close Gitmo? Provide a path to citizenship for the millions of immigrants working in America right now? Raise the minimum wage to $15 per hour? Force companies to provide paid sick leave? Increase Social Security benefits? Allow citizens to buy healthcare coverage through Medicare at actual cost?

No, to all of these.

One of the bills is designed to force people who buy and/or sell a gun through online classifieds or gun shows to go to a gun store (a private business that has a strong financial incentive to make it difficult for a private seller to sell a gun) and pay whatever price the gun store owner asks for a background check.

The other bill removes constitutional rights from people that are put on a secret list of bad guys compiled by unelected, unaccountable, and unknown people at the FBI, using secret criteria.

Although spun as a response to the Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando, neither of these bills would have prevented Omar Mateen from purchasing the weapons he used in the attack. Nor would either of these bills prevented any of the high-profile mass shootings in recent years. Not to mention that the Republicans have 54 votes in the Senate.

Clearly the Democrats are trying to differentiate themselves from Republicans before the November elections, and since that is almost impossible to do on issues like militarism or trade or banking reform because of who their Presidential nominee is going to be, they need to find something, anything, that could trick some voters into believing that there is a real difference between the two parties. Poll numbers show that the coordinated media blitz designed to take down Trump isn’t getting much traction, so there must be panic at Dem HQ recently and they decided that a little dramatic political theater with no real risk of actually passing any laws was a wise use of their time. In other words, they are throwing stuff at the wall and hoping some of it will stick.

Due to stunning incompetence on the part of my local Democratic Party my Representative in the House is a Republican. The Democrats didn’t even run anyone against him in the last election in a district that went for Obama twice. But if you have a Democratic representative I’d suggest that you call his/her office and tell them that you see through their charade and that you demand action on any one of the dozens of issues more important than toothless symbolic votes on gun control. http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
This wouldn't have happened if they had a gun

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I have something else they can sit on (my dilz)

mr_cramalldees
Dec 14, 2015

Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Lol at Democratic House members ("champions of civil rights") pushing for legislation that strips citizens of due process.

e: had to add condescending quotation marks.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I think we'll all feel a little safer when we're all on no fly lists ("suspect frequents satirical website somethingawful dot com") and only the police are allowed to carry guns.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PCA1Xiy_k4

mr_cramalldees
Dec 14, 2015

phasmid posted:

I think we'll all feel a little safer when we're all on no fly lists ("suspect frequents satirical website somethingawful dot com") and only the police are allowed to carry guns.

I don't want those racist cops to be the only people with guns.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

mr_cramalldees posted:

I don't want those racist cops to be the only people with guns.

Whoa, there citizen. That sounds like some BLA Muslimist talk to me.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
gently caress Democrats. What a crocodilian display of empathy and protest.

gently caress Republicans. What a sleezy bunch of indebted stooges.

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Democrats are retarded.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Gamer With Dignity posted:

Democrats are retarded.

mr_cramalldees
Dec 14, 2015

Toadvine posted:

gently caress Democrats. What a crocodilian display of empathy and protest.

gently caress Republicans. What a sleezy bunch of indebted stooges.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Eh, it's not like they can fight for any real legislation when the do-nothing lunatic pubbies in charge won't accept even a mild change in gun laws

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
My guns have rights, Dumbocrats!

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Once somebody gets put on a terror watchlist, deport them to somewhere where they can't be watched?

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Instead of solitary confinement, let's release people from prison for bad behavior!

mr_cramalldees
Dec 14, 2015

SlipkPIe posted:

Eh, it's not like they can fight for any real legislation when the do-nothing lunatic pubbies in charge won't accept even a mild change in gun laws

http://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2015/08/05/no-2-senate-republican-proposing-gun-background-check-bill

Keep telling yourself that.

I hate Pubbies as much as the next guy, but both teams are just playing partisan politics.

You don't think any of them honestly give a poo poo if you get shot, do you?

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Once somebody gets put on a terror watchlist, deport them to somewhere where they can't be watched?

Many on the list are american citizens, so deport them back to their house I guess

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Uh, if we deport them back to their poo poo country they are that country's problem now. loving goddamn are you retarded, probably a democrat too.

Ain't a lot of Mexican or Canadain terrorists. I would bet the Atlantic and Pacific oceans deter easy entry into the USA from the middle east, what about you?

many johnnys posted:

Many on the list are american citizens, so deport them back to their house I guess

Its not like the government can't revoke citizenship. Holy moly, what a concept!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

they can't make me do anything i don't want to

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snatch Duster posted:

Its not like the government can't revoke citizenship. Holy moly, what a concept!

Where are you going to deport them to?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

that's all that ever happens, clownshoes

they get "watched" until they finally go ahead and massacre a nightclub

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

that's all that ever happens, clownshoes

they get "watched" until they finally go ahead and massacre a nightclub

"If I don't see it then it doesn't exist."

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Where are you going to deport them to?

from where they came idiot. Pakistani immigrant goes back to pakistan. WTF are you retarded?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

mr_cramalldees posted:

http://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2015/08/05/no-2-senate-republican-proposing-gun-background-check-bill

Keep telling yourself that.

I hate Pubbies as much as the next guy, but both teams are just playing partisan politics.

You don't think any of them honestly give a poo poo if you get shot, do you?

I think they all care if they get shot or one of their family members gets shot. And some of them probably care about other people. I mean being a politician doesn't mean you have no empathy, just severely reduced empathy.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

we already have an existing method to determine if someone is dangerous enough to lose civil liberties (or be deported if they are an immigrant). we charge them with a crime and have a trial where they are allowed to answer the accusations against them

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

City of Tampa posted:

we already have an existing method to determine if someone is dangerous enough to lose civil liberties (or be deported if they are an immigrant). we charge them with a crime and have a trial where they are allowed to answer the accusations against them

lookit this goofball who doesn't realize that terrorists are super criminals that no court or jail can hold . . .

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Snatch Duster posted:

from where they came idiot. Pakistani immigrant goes back to pakistan. WTF are you retarded?

plenty of people on the secret watch list are amiercan citizens and not citizens of another country, and were born in america and live there and didn't go to another place

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lol they are definitely taking all your guns this time...through the power of peaceful process!

Peace and love all.

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snatch Duster posted:

What if they're from Iowa, do they go back to Iowa? What if they never left?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

You put them in a camp and make them work or re educate them on why America and our Freedoms are great.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
i guess you could say the democratic party "left" me

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
politics is dumb and gay

i hope everyone dies

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snatch Duster posted:

You put them in a camp and make them work or re educate them on why America and our Freedoms are great.

So you basically train them on how to evade detection?

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

leave them in iowa and theyll eventually commit suicide or their heart will give out after too much tater tot casserole

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
I don't know if you're being purposefully stupid but placing a person on a secret list of potential terrorists with no proof or due process, then uprooting them from their lives, deporting them back to a volatile country ripe with extremism, sounds like a winning plan and I wish America welp

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

If they really want to make a point they should lock the doors and avoid any windows.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

So you basically train them on how to evade detection?

I think he said you need to put them in a work camp and tell them that work makes you free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

vols bitch posted:

leave them in iowa and theyll eventually commit suicide or their heart will give out after too much tater tot casserole

Please be careful or you guys will summon Jastiger.

• Locked thread