Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The bite-sized brewer squirrels away the delicious-smelling leaves before any of his partners notice he was gone, and quickly rejoins them.

"Excuse me? 'Onion-head'? You buffoon, my head is clearly more of a-- Oh, you meant him. Yes. Onion-head. Quite." Amadeus ignores Arheld and his lack of social graces, not that he has much room to talk on that front, and looks to the others. "Should we believe this character? He seems... doughy. And to appear so suddenly. It reeks of sabotage."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Next Post Tuesday

: "A quest? Yes, yes. Well actually they aren't really that dangerous to hunt, if only to prepare. You see, Psycho comes from the fact their mushroom diet makes them pretty... Unique, you will know when you see them." The doughy-looking Chef crosses his stubby arms and nods. "Thing is, they live on the level below this and the shortest route to their habitat... Well, it seems that the biggest guy in the Chocolate Forest is sitting right on it. The Chockatrice is way more dangerous than the roaches and marshmellow fishes here y'know."

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

"Chockatrice!?" Arheld slams his fist into his waiting palm. "Why, that sounds like a foe potentially worthy of our attention! Besides, it gets us to the deeper levels faster."

He turns around, waving to the rest of the food adventure crew. "HEY! We officially have a quest to slay a monstrous beast, so- you know, let's go. Come on."

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

"Well hell, bet between that big-soundin' Chockawhatsit and the rabbit meat, we'll have a bit of a score on our hands! Yea, let's get huntin'."

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

"Told you just wandering around would work out!"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Next turn friday!

The route the mysteriously-shaped chef has shown you leads to a lesser known part of this level of the dungeon. Standing apart of high leaves of dark choco and the bushes of mint leaves you see a few humanoid statues made of candy, their expressions showing mortal fear and anger... It is said that Chockatrices usually cover their victims with chocolate and candy to encase them in a hard shell and devour them later. It seems the monster has made quite a few victims here.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Not one to pass up a meal, Cephas quickly begins attacking the nearest candy statue. It's a rare treat to be able to eat one of the humanoid races, much less a candy coated one.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

"Whoa, weird...ya think any of them are still, y'know, alive?" Cynthia said, poking at the candy shell of one of the statues delicately.

"AH! Cephas! Wait a tick before stuffing your maw!"

Examine/Investigate (untrained) the statues for signs of life: 2

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

"Oh, let him have his fun. Besides..." Amadeus lowers his voice, as much for dramatic effect as to actually mask it. "... I'm still not convinced that thing won't turn traitor the second its belly is empty."

He walks with purpose around the room, looking at the different statues but not really studying them deeply. "Remarkable craftsmanship, really."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Next turn Sun/Mon/Whenever everyone post init!

As Cynthia pokes the chocolate statue that was to be attacked by the anthropophagic onion, it falls with a resonant brash, breaking itself in several pieces. To the group's horror, it seems that the person within has been rotting for days now, the stench of rotting flesh mixing with the cloying smell of candy in a horrid new combination. To make things worse, you hear a shrill clucking noise coming from a patch of trees to the north, and you see an enormous chicken head emerging from it...

quote:

Chockatrice - The Apex Predator of the Cacao Forest, this massive avian/reptile hybrid has a secondary stomach where it brews sticky hot chocolate that blisters and quickly solidifies around its victim, which it keeps in a petrified state as emergency rations.

Roll Initiative!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Character Sheet

Init: 1d6 3

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

"Oh grossgrossgross! You'd seriously eat that!?"

Initiative: 6

pre:
Cynthia
HP: 10/10     Action Points: 2     Rally: []     Action Trigger: []

Conditions:

Role Boost: Multitarget Boost (pg. 131)

Class At-Wills: Aim, Flare, Pin Down, Area Denial
Role At-Will: Terrain

Class Encounters: Trick Arrow -[]
Role Encounters:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

"It seems as though our intrusion has finally been noticed. Let's end this quickly."

Initiative = 2

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

"Ha-HA!" Arheld swings his mace free from his belt, the head of the weapon trailing holy fire. "Finally- FINALLY! Now my friends, we will take down this horrid beast and begin to build our own legend!"

5 init, he's amped up!

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Cephas growls at Cynthia for ruining his chance at his meal.

Initiative: 1d6 5

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The enormous avian monster gives another shrill clucking sound as it starts flapping its wings. The creature starts to regurgitate something from its throat, spitting a dire glob of chocolate at both Cephas and Arheld, only for it to fall a few feet away from them, instead dissipating into a puddle of hot cacao. Still, the puddle looks quite dangerous to touch.

Hot Spit vs Cephas and Arheld: 2#1d6 1 1 (lol)

The 3x3 zone around I-10 Hot Chocolate Terrain. It is difficult terrain and deals 1 damage to any creature that passes through or ends its turn on it!

Chockatrice is a Champion Monster!

Chockatrice: 7
Cynthia: 6
Arheld: 5
Cephas: 5
Chockatrice: 5
Chockatrice:3
Flavio:3
Amadeus:2

Cynthia and Arheld are up!

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

"Alright...gonna try some fancier magic on this guy." Cythia said, conjuring up an ethereal bolt.

On impacting the giant predator, it burst into a mass which bound the bird; a simple pantomime of a tugging motion started to move it toward its own boiling chocolate pool.

She then shaped a bit of the bile-coated earth before her into something resembling a wall, hoping it'd help if the beast started lobbing more vomit her way.

Attack: Trick Arrow (Tether Shot) - 5 6 (Sniper). 6 damage, and the target is Immobilized (Escape Ends). Can be pulled up to 5 squares as a Move action.

Move: Pull Chockatrice 3 squares (should be centered on H-12); it may choose to attempt a Save to not enter the zone, and if successful (Champion, so, yea), it would instead fall Prone at the zone's edge.

Role: Using Terrain to conjure up some Low Cover in I-9.

pre:
Cynthia
HP: 10/10     Action Points: 2     Rally: []     Action Trigger: []

Conditions:

Class Encounters: Trick Arrow -[X]
Role Encounters:

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Arheld neatly steps away from the strangely dangerous chocolate. Really, of all the strange monsters and beings he learned about fighting in the crusader's hall, this really wasn't covered much.

"Now, beast, it is my turn! Prepare to taste my-" Arheld takes a low stance, and winds up like a baseball pitcher. A globe of light begins forming between his hands. "-DIVINE! WRA-ahH-" His boot slides against a small patch of runny chocolate, and the orb goes screaming out of control into the distance. Moments after the orb's disappearance, there is a distant blast and flash of light.

Arheld thumbs his chin and Hmms loudly to himself. Hopefully nobody was hit by that....

I open my turn by moving two tiles south-east to leave the zone, I then enter the Stone Wall Stance (Condemn Killing) and do a ranged basic attack against the Chocotrice, rolling a very unfortunate One.

However, I still get the passive benefit of the stance, so I choose to resist 1 from ranged attacks made in the half-plane to my northeast.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The avian monster gives a shrill sound as it's pulled from its feet by Cynthia's magic, falling to the ground as it tangles its leg and pulls it from beneath. The creature grunts as it rips off its bindings with its beak, spitting another two globules of hot cacao at Cynthia and Arheld, the creature's accuracy enhanced by the cleric's accident. Both the projectiles hit, enveloping the two adventurers with boiling candy!

Chockatrice spends two move actions escaping and lifting from prone! It uses its Miss Trigger on Arheld, giving him advantage on his next attack. It attacks them both with ranged attacks Ranged Spit attacks vs Arheld, Cynthia: 3#1d6 5 4 5. Hitting both of them for 2 (1 for Arheld) damage and dealing 1 Ongoing Damage (Save Ends)

Chockatrice: 30/35 HP, Resist Damage 1

Amadeus:2

Cephas (I guess I forgot him), Flavio and Amadeus are up!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Character Sheet

With a flourish, Flavio sends juicy discs of fiery hot peppers scything towards the Chocktrice's eyes as he slides beneath the beast, into it's blind spot.

HP: 10/10; Strikes 0

-Move Action: Trap (Moving adjacent to the 'trice. I get Advantage against it if it's still within 5 spaces of me next turn.)
--Attack Action: Melee Basic with Brawler effect Attack bird: 1d6 3 (Disarmed until the end of it's next turn)
--Role Action: Mark the boss.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

HP: 10/10
Strikes: 0
Pet HP: 5/5

Not to be outdone by some young punk, Amadeus rummages in his bag for a moment before producing a very dark, very tall bottle. He pops the cap off with a quick gesture and takes a quick swig before tossing the rest next to their fowl fiend. When the bottle lands the ground itself trembles, toppling the Chockatrice briefly and conjuring a rather sturdy-looking mass of foam and stout. The dark defender then pops the bird in the jaw with a heady fist. Looks like this one is a bit more ready to fight.

quote:

Earth Elemental: 5 HP.

If a creature attempts to leave a square adjacent the Elemental (up to 2 squares away at level 5, 3 squares at level 9), it must make a Saving Thow. If it fails, it falls Prone.
The Earth Elemental has Resist 1 damage

Rich and Heavy [Quake] (Melee, At-Will)
Damage: 2
Effect: Target is Slowed (save ends).

- Move Action: Move to E-7

- Attack Action: Summon Earth Elemental = 4 (Elemental appears in F-14), Role Boost Slows the target until the end of its next turn.

quote:

Terratremor Stout [Earth Elemental] (Melee, Encounter Power)
Special: Summon an Earth Elemental within 10 squares. Make this attack using the Elemental as the source.
Damage: 3
Effect: Target is knocked Prone.
- Role Action: Sap Strength on the Chockatrice (deals half damage on its next turn, rounded down).

- Other notes: Opportunities by me and my Elemental deal 3 damage, since the monster is Prone it attacking grants Opportunities to adjacent creatures.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

(on heavy narcotics due to wisdom teeth, not coherdtn enougb, pass turn)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

(Bees...)

The Rooster monster is beset by the attacks from the Rogue and the Alchemist, stubbornly lifting itself. It's still reeling from the spice thrown at its eyes by Flavio, yet it seems that the attack has really pissed it off, as the Chockatrice gives a powerful kick at him, the sheer power of it lessened by Amadeus' magic, yet still quite violent!

Chocka gets up from prone with its move action and tries to melee at Flavio!Melee Basic: 1d6 6 It hits, dealing 2 Damage.

Chockatrice: 28/35 HP, Resist Damage 1

Amadeus/Elemental:2

Cynthia and Arheld are up! (Cephas too sorry Bees)

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 20, 2016

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Cynthia tries to lob some fire toward the Chockatrice, but the burning bird bile proves too distracting. She backs up a bit to study the creature, and try and recall what few bits she might've heard about 'em.

Attack: Pin Down: 1

Move: to I-1

Role: Assess (page 90, 4 questions); How would you summarize its powers? What are its special traits? Is it carrying anything strange or unique? What can I use against the enemy?

Saving Throw: 1

pre:
Cynthia
HP: 7/10     Action Points: 2     Rally: []     Action Trigger: []
Strikes: 1     Miss Tokens: 1

Conditions: Ongoing Damage (1)

Role Encounters:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If Bees likes I could take their turns in combat for them until they're more cognizant.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Countblanc posted:

If Bees likes I could take their turns in combat for them until they're more cognizant.

this works.I shoudl be good on monday or so

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The little (giant?) onion launches a volley of slurs and insults at the Chockatrice which I dare not reproduce here, though the bird seems completely unfazed, and then scurries off to safety.

- Attack Action: Morale-Boosting Punching Bag = 1 (sorry bees)

- Move Action: Moving to B-10, avoiding the dark puddles along the way.

- Role Action: nada

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

"Alright, this time!" Arheld clenches his fists, widens his stance, and very visibly begins powering up. Furious holy fire gathers on his fists, and as he lifts them to charge their searing heat melts the ground before him. With one step, he turns a fearsome advance into a comical slide that ends with a soft collision with the beast's rear. In a panic to steady himself, he lays his flaming hands upon the Chocatrice's tender rump, and brands the beast with the Mark of Melindra (or at least that's what Arheld calls the pair of searing handprints).

He clears his throat and he quickly steadies himself. "Haha- you did not expect that did you? Neither did I- all you, contemplate on the effectiveness of that attack."

This turn I move SE-SE-E-E-E, activate my Channel Divinity to upgrade my Condemn Killing to Bulwark of Faith! (Stone wall stance to Greater Stone Wall Stance), then charge up at the Chocatrice with a flank. To my supreme dissapointment, I have rolled two ones. But, I can transform one of the ones into a 3 thanks to my miss tokens from being a failure before, so I take the three damage (but do not get the invulnerability effect from the attack). Also I resist 2 to any ranged attack made from my north until my next turn.

brennon fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 21, 2016

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

From her observations on the creature, Cynthia manages to discern that the Chockatrice's common MO is to envelop other creatures with its chocolate to weaken them before completely petrifying and smashing them, it has a sturdy set of feathers protecting it and strong limbs that makes traversing most terrains quite easy and while it doesn't seem to carry any treasure with itself, the monster seems to be vulnerable to several ranged attackers flanking it from all sides.

Dodging from every single attack thrown against it, the Chockatrice clucks as it opens its wings and does a brusque spin with them, trying to knock back all the enemies around it, throwing the Earth Elemental back like a bag of sand and buffeting Arheld's face with its feathers. Flavio manages to duck from it in time, yet the monster doesn't give him any breathing room after doing so, spitting more of its burning cocoa at him.

Chockatrice activates its Miss Trigger against Cephas, Cynthia and Arheld! It gains advantage on its next attack against them. It then uses its Wing Flap attack against all adjacent targets. Wing Flap Knockback attack.: 3#1d6 6 2 3 Wing Flap Advantage reroll: 1d6 1. It deals 4 damage and knocks back the Elemental, completely misses Flavio and deals 2 damage (Melee, not ranged) to Arheld. It then uses its normal spit attack at Flavio. Normal Chocolate Spit: 1d6 4, dealing 2 damage and Ongoing 1 (Save ends)

Chockatrice: 26/35 HP, Resist Damage 1

Flavio and Amadeus are up!
[/quote]

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

HP: 10/10
Strikes: 0
Pet HP: 2/5

"Annoying bird!" Amadeus spits both insults and saliva toward the Chockatrice, frustrated that his creation would be treated so rudely.

"Worthless drink!" With as much fervor he insults his own creation who seems to slump his muddy, foamy shoulders at the berating.

"And you all! You couldn't hit a-- a-- a giant bird with your eyes open! Bah! It's like they say, if you need to kill a monster, you need to drink it yourself." Again the alchemist rummages through his bag, and again he produces a bottle - This one much more slender than the last. In his rage he forgets to take a good luck swig and just chucks the drat thing at their foe, the bottle shattering against its chocolate-y hide and causing some minor lacerations with the glass and causing the Chockatrice to stomp around in a rage for a moment.

"Oh, hm, ah. Apparently that one was just... Wine." He shrugs.

quote:

Earth Elemental:

If a creature attempts to leave a square adjacent the Elemental (up to 2 squares away at level 5, 3 squares at level 9), it must make a Saving Thow. If it fails, it falls Prone.
The Earth Elemental has Resist 1 damage

Rich and Heavy [Quake] (Melee, At-Will)
Damage: 2
Effect: Target is Slowed (save ends).

- Attack Action: Longshoreman's [Punisher] = 3, taking Damage (2 before Resist). Using Controller's Role Boost to Slide the Chockatrice two squares North-West (upper-left corner in E-12).

- Role Action: Using Mark on the Chockatrice (once per encounter), it's Marked until the end of its next turn.

- Move Action: Moving to K-4.

- Other notes: Opportunities by me and my Elemental deal 3 damage.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Character Sheet

Flavio finishes his slide a bit worse for the wear. Grabbing the beast's fail feathers, he flings himself up onto the giant poultry. He produces a long oven match from his sleeve, and strikes it against the beat as he takes a swig of cooking sherry, and blows a fiery blast up the bird's back.

HP: 7/10; Strikes 1

--Move Action: Trap (Not moving. I get Advantage against it if it's still within 5 spaces of me next turn.)
--Attack Action: Melee Basic with Brawler effect Attack bird: 2d6k1 6 (Prone and 4 damage)
--Free Action: Sucker Punch Attack bird: 1d6 3 (2 damage)
--Save: Save: 1d6 2 (Fails)

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 22, 2016

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Hello I will be your Plutonis for the evening.

quote:

The giant candy poultry is buffeted with a powerful barrage of attacks, its hide and feathers starting to melt from all the liquid and fire pelted at it by its enemies, slipping off from the Rogue's attack on it. It tries to get up and concentrates another glob of goop, this time aiming at the Alchemist, only to completely miss it by a country mile, instead hitting a passing Chockroach that is instantly covered and petrified by the attack. This seems to give it an opening to the nearby enemies around it though!

Chockatrice gets up from prone! It tries to use a different attack on Amadeus but fucks up Petrifying Spit: 1d6 1 and Flavio + the Elemental both get opportunities against it from their marks!

Chockatrice: 13/35 HP, Resist Damage 1

Cynthia, Arheld and Cephas are up!

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

"Clearly I just need more fire." Cynthia half growls as the acid continues to eat at her. She breathes a gout of flame into her hands, molding it into a rough sphere of unwieldy flame. As it shatters against its disgusting maw, raging embers scatter at the beast's feet, threatening to consume it further.

"Burn you stupid bird!"

Attack: Area Denial: 4 5 6 (Sniper + Miss Token); 4 damage, and Chockatrice will take 3 damage each time it acts in a 3x3 zone centered on F-12 or ends its turn there (lasts until end of Cynthia's next turn).

Move: Gain Flying status.

Saving Throw: 2

pre:
Cynthia
HP: 6/10     Action Points: 2     Rally: []     Action Trigger: []
Strikes: 1     Miss Tokens: 1

Conditions: Ongoing Damage (1), Flying

Role Encounters:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Growing increasingly agitated as insult is added to a missed meal, the culinary construct tosses a jar of smoked peppers its bag towards the creature. This should combine with the creature's inherent chocolaty scent to create a refreshing aroma for whoever engages with it downwind. Fleeing quickly without regard for the effectiveness of its seasoning, it flings a rather plump tomato with all its might towards Cynthia.

Attack: Morale-Boosting Punching Bag: 1d6 3 (Effect)
Move: G7
Role: Heal on Cynthia

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 31, 2016

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bees, you didn't tell me what you chose on your 3, and the tree on E-3 is an obstacle to you. Please append your post. Also Brennon, waiting on you.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Fixed, sorry, was still more than a lil out of it and assumed those were just part of the bg texture rather than obstacles.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"Bkaw... Kaw!!" The massive avian weakly tries to get away from the burning inferno beneath its feet, spitting another large burning glob of chocolate that explodes near Arheld and Flavio, missing the latter but burning the feet of the former as the glob turns into a treacherous puddle of burning fudge. It then spits a small ball of burning cacao at Amadeus, enveloping the alchemist with burning goo!

The Chockatrice shifts to G-12 and uses its giant glob attack in an area focused where Flavio and Arheld are. Big glob attack!: 2#1d6 2 4It deals 2 damage to Arheld and turns the terrain into Hot Chocolate Terrain (Difficult, deals 1 damage to creatures that enter and end their turn there).It then moves to I-10 and tries to use its melting spit at Amadeus! Melting spit: 1d6 4 Deals 2 damage and ongoing 1 (Save ends)

Chockatrice: 7/35 HP, Resist Damage 1

Flavio and Amadeus are up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Character Sheet

Flavio runs up the fleeing bird's back, hammering the back of its head with a sandled kick.

HP: 8/10; Strikes 1

--Move Action: Trap (Moving immediately adjacent. I get Advantage against it if it's still within 5 spaces of me next turn.)
--Attack Action: Melee Basic with Brawler effect Attack Bird: 2d6k1 4 (Dazed and 2 damage)
--Save: Save: 1d6 3(Fails)

• Locked thread