Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

C-Euro posted:

I'm pretty sure I had a toy that looked just like that but without the hair/dreads, I think it was a bad guy Stretch Armstrong? Was really hoping someone made a bootleg just by sticking hair on one of those but alas.
He was called Vac-Man, as King Vidiot mentioned. According to Wikipedia he was full of ground-up corn cobs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkj9ptYsjTg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

This video caused me to ask a very important question.

What would Lisa Frank Goatse look like?

I feel like if you fed Goatse and some typical Lisa Frank artwork into that deepart.io or whatever site it was, you'd have your answer.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Radio Help posted:

Yea I've wanted one as well since I saw this picture a while back, and something just occurred to me: a good friend of mine is a very good leatherworker who specializes in handmade wallets and I screenprint. I'll hit you up if we can figure out a realistic way to make it happen.

I'm not the type of person to usually jump on this poo poo but I've actually wanted that specific wallet for years

But you don't want that stupid crazy glasses pipe cat thing to happen

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He was called Vac-Man, as King Vidiot mentioned. According to Wikipedia he was full of ground-up corn cobs.

As someone who owned a Vac-Man and then shoved him in a closet which then became overrun by many families of mice, I can confirm that Vac-Man is full of ground-up corn cobs. When I was finally cleaning out my closet at about age 19, Vac-Man had been chewed to pieces and that dried corn poo poo was everywhere.

And no, I had no idea what a horror show my closet was until I opened the door, which I never did because it was hard to get to in my tiny room.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Vac-Man sounds like a pretty lovely toy, it's great that he got to give birth to a rats of NIMH-like mini civilization of mice.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Aesop Poprock posted:

But you don't want that stupid crazy glasses pipe cat thing to happen

On the other hand, the Fiesta Cat plushie absolutely belongs here in the bootleg/knockoff thread. I couldn't find the infamous photo of Philovirus' house filled with 500 FC plush dolls which he never sent out but according to the SAclopedia entry the custom plush toy company he ordered them from still has a photo of on in their gallery:

http://www.customplushtoys.com/Inventor/gallery.php?category=28&tpages=3&page=2

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

On the other hand, the Fiesta Cat plushie absolutely belongs here in the bootleg/knockoff thread. I couldn't find the infamous photo of Philovirus' house filled with 500 FC plush dolls which he never sent out but according to the SAclopedia entry the custom plush toy company he ordered them from still has a photo of on in their gallery:

http://www.customplushtoys.com/Inventor/gallery.php?category=28&tpages=3&page=2

Ahahaha

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Was at the ol' county fair last weekend, got a few shots of some weird bootleg plush "prizes" and some good old fashioned trademark infringing airbrush art:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I kinda want all of those off color supermen

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

DrBouvenstein posted:

Was at the ol' county fair last weekend, got a few shots of some weird bootleg plush "prizes" and some good old fashioned trademark infringing airbrush art:

I love the xenomorph just randomly thrown in. And is that a Predator, too?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

TK8325 posted:

Either that or someone's cooking abalone.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I just the other day posted in another thread about how people having stray memories of familiar characters with unfamiliar coloring might be blamed on their attendance at carnivals or low-rent theme parks, I'm enjoying the validation.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I like to imagine one of those cartoon bombs exploded in his face and he is happy with the result that he is still alive.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

TK8325 posted:

Look, it's not the best likeness of Natalie Portman, but it's clearly Padme.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Choco1980 posted:

Will you settle for Hulks and Spider-Men?

All set to beep boop Indian nursery rhymes of course!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpg_D3r258w

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Choco1980 posted:

They remind me of the team-colored character palette swaps in the Super Smash Bros series.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

axolotl farmer posted:

Will you settle for Hulks and Spider-Men?

All set to beep boop Indian nursery rhymes of course!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpg_D3r258w

This channel is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz7xlM9Y5Gg

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

The nursery rhyme stuff is one of the more recent internet phenomenons, especially the finger family versions. See all those millions of views, but few comments, and even fewer intelligible comments that you can make out and read?

These videos are being automatically generated and watched so that whoever owns the videos can make a ton of money off of ad clicks and views.

That doesn't mean people don't watch it, it means majority of views are structurally made by artificial intelligence. Rows of computers set up to watch it, refresh, then go to the next one. All for that sweet,sweet, advertisement and high viewcount purchased by view bots revenue.

tl;dr ad fraud endgame.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I hear all that, but I still have to say, having a row of T-Rexes in different colored Spider-Man costumes singing "If you're happy and you know it clap your hands" and then fighting giant gorillas for no reason is worth the ad fraud.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

EorayMel posted:

The nursery rhyme stuff is one of the more recent internet phenomenons, especially the finger family versions. See all those millions of views, but few comments, and even fewer intelligible comments that you can make out and read?

These videos are being automatically generated and watched so that whoever owns the videos can make a ton of money off of ad clicks and views.

That doesn't mean people don't watch it, it means majority of views are structurally made by artificial intelligence. Rows of computers set up to watch it, refresh, then go to the next one. All for that sweet,sweet, advertisement and high viewcount purchased by view bots revenue.

tl;dr ad fraud endgame.

So does that explain why, for a little while, this Johny Johny Yes Papa nursery rhyme was big? I swear I'd never heard it in childhood but like last year or whatever there were so many versions on YouTube.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

graybook posted:

So does that explain why, for a little while, this Johny Johny Yes Papa nursery rhyme was big? I swear I'd never heard it in childhood but like last year or whatever there were so many versions on YouTube.

Pretty much.

Here's my favorite video from the phenomenon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln_KxO1ABko

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
You'd think 'Papi' makes more sense than 'Papa'

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
Found this at some gift shop / head shop at the dying mall in town:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

EorayMel posted:

tl;dr ad fraud endgame.

I wondered what their deal was. That would explain the viewcount.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Am I weird that I experience schadenfreude every time I see someone point out how stupid and flawed most internet advertising/moneymaking is?

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Can someone post those Star Wars episode 1 knock off figures please? They were some of the funniest I've ever seen.

The names were incredible...

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is that poo poo why youtube is banning people from making money from their viewcounts?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

simosimo posted:

Can someone post those Star Wars episode 1 knock off figures please? They were some of the funniest I've ever seen.

The names were incredible...

These?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I don't know which I like better, Dennis or What

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Aesop Poprock posted:

Is that poo poo why youtube is banning people from making money from their viewcounts?

No that has to do with the fact that YT is a google service and being a google service that is several years old it now is suffering from Google's love of rolling out major updates without telling anyone or doing any kind of beta testing whatsoever because "we're google and what other choice do they have". They have, without really telling anyone this, clearly rolled out a completely new set of content moderation bots in the past few months that are deciding that the best way to handle content is to mass flag anything that could possibly be objectionable or non-advertiser friendly and then force people to deal with it on a case by case basis and hope that the rear end in a top hat or weird fetish/nazi/white supremacist/bully channels don't bother with the appeals process and just quit altogether. Basically they are using the content monitoring system to trial-by-fire all their major big money channels and force them to enter the appeals process so they can cull all the people they don't like. It's a bad idea, they've been extremely deceptive about it, and it's starting to backfire on them. Because of how poor their filtering is, they've managed to de-monetize a bunch of videos by people who were making content that was legitimately helping people with depression and other mental issues and stuff designed to help people who were sexual assault victims. A lot of people think that they're doing it so they can force anyone who isn't making 100% ultra sanitized content that YT can use as it's "face" to have to make money using alternate revenue streams (IE Twitch and Patreon). This is a huge coup for YT because they've basically deep sixed all their competitors and claimed a virtual monopoly on video hosting where creators can make money. There really isn't another stable option for people to choose, so now they're forced to choose between "make revenue free videos on YT (which YT gets to still make money on BTW) and get money from Twitch subs or Patreon donations" and "Make content that contains no confrontational topics, serious issues, swearing or excessive violence, so that YT can expand it's advertiser base."

The solution is very simple and has been suggested by many people: When you make a video you need to be able to select some meta-tags for your video (IE: Adult content/language, Serious issues, graphic violence, etc) basically a version of the MPAA or ESRB rating system, and then they need to use this to sell ads. There's actually a lot of advertisers who would be willing to buy ads for only adult content videos, people like rated R movies, alcoholic drinks, late night TV shows, etc and so it's pretty dumb to just cut those videos out of the revenue stream, they instead need to incorporate it in a way that lets advertisers target the demographics who like those kinds of videos. Jim Beam probably doesn't want to throw it's ads in front of Pewdiepie videos, but I can't imagine they would have an issue with someone like Jim Sterling . In fact in the US, if you used those tags to gate things by age, you could get around a lot of the advertising restrictions that surround things like smoking products and booze so it seems like pretty win-win scenario.

I suspect something like that will be the end result and that this purge is most to get rid of people like Scarce and FAZE and the multitudes of channels that make money off of bullying kids and posting thousands of videos about drama and people's personal lives.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Those toys look atrocious but the titles are like a meme font added in digitally right? These fakes are fake, is what I"m saying.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Almost all of them make sense from a phonetic standpoint if you think of a non-native speaker seeing a trailer or early interview without having subtitles available. They write the sound it out as best they can, then find a close-enough english word - even Dennis makes sense (menace), then the made up names like Upright Slug are simply fillers since the character names weren't mentioned in whatever sneak preview

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Krinkle posted:

Those toys look atrocious but the titles are like a meme font added in digitally right? These fakes are fake, is what I"m saying.

Yeah those are fake as hell. I'd even go so far as to say they're official figures that someone just photoshopped funny names onto.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah those are fake as hell. I'd even go so far as to say they're official figures that someone just photoshopped funny names onto.

No lie, I'd like that 'Glorious Star Lord' one.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

King Vidiot posted:

Ashens has a video on them although the ones he has don't have the full card.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

King Vidiot posted:

I dunno when the last time you've seen star wars action figures was but they don't usually look like brittle monstrosities like that Darth Maul, and the lightsabers and weapons aren't just uncolored cookie-cutter plastic

Here's the Ashens video. The packaging is just right around the figures and it doesn't look like they even have room for names there on the version he has
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7RDBgv_u2c

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 08:27 on Sep 3, 2016

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

bean_shadow posted:

Found this at some gift shop / head shop at the dying mall in town:

That's obviously from the Treehouse of Horror episode.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Choco1980 posted:

I don't know which I like better, Dennis or What

I like Upright Slug and Little Girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

:bigtran: