Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

OhFunny posted:

When would they halt trading on the London Stock Exchange? They can't let just fall straight off the edge.
might start thinking about it if it touches 52 week low

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Pochoclo posted:

The GBP will be worth 0.3 USD. Unemployment will rise to 30%, poverty to 45%. Shantytowns will rise in all public parks as law erodes. Welcome to the third world.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

You finally really did it. You maniacs! You blew it up!

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Pochoclo posted:

The GBP will be worth 0.3 USD. Unemployment will rise to 30%, poverty to 45%. Shantytowns will rise in all public parks as law erodes. Welcome to the third world.

Sounds like an improvement.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Who made that.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
The European stock exchanges have all opened down 10%.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
for all the US posters tuning in, this is basically like if all those dumb loving debt ceiling / government shutdown stunts actually resulted in the US defaulting

no one thought this was actually going to happen

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

FTSE 100 is on a downway ride to hell.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

MiddleOne posted:

Actually the FTSE just dead-cat-bounced from -10% to -8%. Good news for Britain!

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

MiddleOne posted:

quote:

The FTSE 100 has shed 527 points, or over 8%, in a massive selloff....

Some shares have lost a third of their value. Housebuilders Taylor Wimpey and Persimmon have plunged by 40%

Supermarket chain Morrisons is down 9%, Royal Mail (floated a few years ago) are down almost 7%. Mining group BHP Billiton has lost 6%.

But half the FTSE 100 hasn’t actually opened, as market makers struggle to match buy and sell orders.

Hold on to yer butts!

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
The more I read about this the more confused I get. I was reading an article that Britain could still negotiate a deal with the EU in the same vein as Norway, to maintain unfettered access to the European markets, but it pointed out that Norway has to adopt 3/4 of the EU rules and legislation. Assuming Britain can't get a better deal than Norway, this seems like a lot of trouble to still end up in the same boat, only this time you're losing the ability to actually vote on EU laws. Is that not a worse deal? What does Norway get out of not being part of the EU that Britain could also enjoy?

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
You really did it you crazy pieces of poo poo

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
Thanks for the info links.

I really don't understand this fear of experts and massive distrust of knowledge that people have. I understand that some 'experts' are paid rear end in a top hat shills - smart people, but still rear end in a top hat shills. But that's not all of them. That's not even the majority of them.

My general philosophy is that there are obviously a huge amount of people that are both smarter than me and also spend most of their life getting really good at poo poo that I think about for maybe five minutes. While I should obviously form my own opinion on a subject, I also know that these people have way more knowledge on that subject than I do. Why should I distrust them (as a whole)? Why would I assume that I know better than them? I really don't understand how people have this level of distrust, and yet I see it every loving day. What is the source? Is it age? My philosophy hasn't changed in ten years, so I don't think it's that. Is it just general stupidity? blaarrrgghhh

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

vanbags posted:

The more I read about this the more confused I get. I was reading an article that Britain could still negotiate a deal with the EU in the same vein as Norway, to maintain unfettered access to the European markets, but it pointed out that Norway has to adopt 3/4 of the EU rules and legislation. Assuming Britain can't get a better deal than Norway, this seems like a lot of trouble to still end up in the same boat, only this time you're losing the ability to actually vote on EU laws. Is that not a worse deal? What does Norway get out of not being part of the EU that Britain could also enjoy?

nothing

literally nothing, for real. england had a shitton of special exemptions for them and they're throwing it all away because they're retarded

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

120 billion pounds wiped off already.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

punk rebel ecks posted:

I still don't understand the point of this. Unlike Greece and other countries, Britain has full control over their currency and don't subscribe to an economic system at odds with the rest of Euroland. Leaving doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Just view this handy video - Webb represents the racist British public revolting against having to accept nonwhite refugees, and Mitchell represents Cameron realizing that he's made a horrible mistake

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

vanbags posted:

It's absolutely a worse deal. They don't seem to have thought that far ahead/care.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

vanbags posted:

Not much, and the brittish public would never accept it.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

FTSE 100 down 8.5%, FTSE 250 (all British firms) down 12%.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
https://twitter.com/ITVJoel/status/746238771092303873

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

vanbags posted:

The more I read about this the more confused I get. I was reading an article that Britain could still negotiate a deal with the EU in the same vein as Norway, to maintain unfettered access to the European markets, but it pointed out that Norway has to adopt 3/4 of the EU rules and legislation. Assuming Britain can't get a better deal than Norway, this seems like a lot of trouble to still end up in the same boat, only this time you're losing the ability to actually vote on EU laws. Is that not a worse deal?

Of course it is. Or maybe it's all just lies from the Remain camp.

(If it's confusing, that's because the people who voted remain are equivalent to people in America voting for America to "stop stealing from my medicare to pay for socialized healthcare!")

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
america votes to leave nafta so they can get better trade agreements

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

corn in the bible posted:

What do you think Trump's wall plan is all about if not that?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Junior G-man posted:

120 billion pounds wiped off already.

Sounds like the slogan for a popular weightloss company

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

ComradeCosmobot posted:

What do you think Trump's wall plan is all about if not that?

It's about hating brown people.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
HE'S ABOUT TO RESIGN

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

As a Canadian, this would bring me great joy.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Hey, look on the bright side everyone! If you're a child sex tourist you'll have a destination with WHITE children to gently caress in about 5 years!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

e_angst posted:

It's about hating brown people.

So is this, though.

It's like that saying, if you know a little bit about the Civil War you say it's about slavery. If you know a little more, you say it's about States' Rights. And if you know a lot, you say it's about slavery.

The nutshell is that this is about racism, Britain doesn't want to accept immigrants and they're willing to upend the table and storm out over it. There's some other peripheral issues that get tossed in - some brits want more favorable trade deals, not to have to send ARE TAX DOLLARS to Brussels, etc - but those are mostly just people's hobby-horse issues that happen to align with this vote, it's truly about racism. You can even look at the crosstabs, it's racist old people who voted to exit.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 24, 2016

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
The UK's ratfucking should include making English a dead language and having (redneck)American replace it.

Also GMT/UT should now be some flyoverstate city.

Tommah
Mar 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/746240420540092417

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Cameron's resigned.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

David Cameron resigns after UK votes to leave European Union
PM announces resignation following victory for leave supporters after divisive referendum campaign

lmao.

Thanks for all the laffs

Here in the southern colony the share market imploded to the tune of 50 billion aussiebucks today

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
There are still some bright spots on the London Stock Exchange.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I've made a huge mistake.

hooman posted:

Cameron's resigned.

At least now he can spend more time with his pigs. :3:

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
How likely is this to hit the sweet spot where it makes a Scotland vacation cheap in January, but doesn't actually ripple out enough to crater the U.S. economy?

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
We must build a wall along our Eastern Seaboard to keep out a flood of British boat people.

Anyway it's not as if a Leave vote was unthinkable even a week ago. Betting sites were fluctuating around a two or three to one against Leave, making it far from an unimaginable outcome. Yet markets don't seem to have priced in the possibility at all.

The Insect Court fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jun 24, 2016

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

The Insect Court posted:

We must build a wall along our Eastern Seaboard to keep out a flood of British boat people.

The navy had been saving the USS Constitution for a reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

gay picnic defence posted:

The navy had been saving the USS Constitution for a reason

:911:

• Locked thread