Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
breaklaw
May 12, 2008

Convergence posted:

This plus the US election nonsense it a gigantic warning alarm, if not a death knell, for the efficacy of direct or close-to-direct democracy in the age of viral disinformation via social media. poo poo is terrifying.

I keep looking back at this statement to see if I'm being hyperbolic and it really doesn't feel like it.

Not hyperbolic at all. Corbyn, Bernie, Trump, Brexit. The people keep going and doing what the ruling class seriously don't want them to do. How much longer are they really just going to let that keep happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Convergence posted:

This plus the US election nonsense it a gigantic warning alarm, if not a death knell, for the efficacy of direct or close-to-direct democracy in the age of viral disinformation via social media. poo poo is terrifying.

The problem is a lack of education. The Swiss have fairly well functioning country with a direct democracy and I suspect the difference is that they are better at educating people so they don't turn into hillbillies.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

straight up brolic posted:

it wasn't just racism, people on the left and right did genuinely vote leave, it's that they were lied to about the potential benefits and consequences. like leave people thought this was going to improve UK economy somehow.
I don't really understand this. As an American completely removed from European politics even I couldn't escape headlines about Brexit being a potentially bad idea.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Haha Germany is going to gently caress England so hard in the negotiations with the EU that the British will build a time machine to go back in time to surrender to Hitler.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

switzerland is basically the goblin bank from harry potter, it's not a real country

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Hollismason posted:

Haha Germany is going to gently caress England so hard in the negotiations with the EU that the British will build a time machine to go back in time to surrender to Hitler.

Seriously how bad will Markel gently caress Borris?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

gay picnic defence posted:

The problem is a lack of education. The Swiss have fairly well functioning country with a direct democracy and I suspect the difference is that they are better at educating people so they don't turn into hillbillies.

The Swiss are trying real hard to ignore their own referendum results.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

gay picnic defence posted:

The whole Swiss economy is based on being a bank that hides money for dictators and other criminals. It's not a good example for anything,

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Hollismason posted:

I didn't know they were making more Danger 5???

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

vanbags posted:

I don't really understand this. As an American completely removed from European politics even I couldn't escape headlines about Brexit being a potentially bad idea.

My understanding (and UKMTers can probably elaborate) is that it was the typical populist stance. Supporters of leave generally distrusted experts, such that any "proof" of leave being the bad choice was dismissed as "lies." The same way that Trump supporters dismiss any claims that Trump is an incompetent buffoon as "lies."

Convergence
Apr 9, 2005

vanbags posted:

Yes, and half of our country wants to build a 3000 mile wall of magical ice to keep out the rapist mexican wildlings before winter comes because global warming isn't real

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

vanbags posted:

people are dumb and old and don't read the internet. don't buy into the fallacy of everyone being like you. english working class/aging population heavily invested in the idea of exceptionalism/nativism/sovereignty were told that they'd have more money put into local infrastructure and public services if they voted leave.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Nigel Farrage wants to declare this day a national holiday - an independence day

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Hollismason posted:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Somebody explain to me real quick why they are qutting if they got their way? Wasnt the vote camerons idea?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Pakled posted:

brb merging with Helios.

Vote Trump for the Tong ending.(LOL racist city states)

Vote Clinton for Illuminati ending.(business as usual which is pretty okay since real life doesn't have gray death, other events also didn't happen/didn't happen yet)

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Somebody explain to me real quick why they are qutting if they got their way? Wasnt the vote camerons idea?

Yes, but Cameron didn't actually want to leave. It was a gambit to win the last election that he at the time calimed was to give the UK more leverage in negotiations with the EU.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

vanbags posted:

the leave campaign said that leaving the EU would free up enough money to fund the NHS and other things besides

now that they've won they say it was "a mistake" to say that but it is TOO LATE

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

It was, but he then campaigned to stay in.

It is very awkward for someone who lost a referendum to continue to lead the government because it means he has to do things he explicitly campaigned against.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cameron and Osborne wanted to remain, they put the vote in their election manifesto because they wanted to appeal to the UKIP voters, they didn't want to actually win it, or entiely expect to win that election either.

Averrences
May 3, 2008

Cam called the vote to placate the right wing of his party - hew campaigned in EU for a reformed relationship with EU - got a few agreements, and on that basis made an extremely concerted effort to back the remain side, along with the majority of the cabinet.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

it was entirely a political maneuver and they never wanted to actually leave the eu. its like the government shutdown

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

He didnt want to do it, he was pretty much pushed into it.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
http://www.investing.com/indices/uk-100-futures

FTSE down -10% and still falling.

:allbuttons:

UK is so hosed.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

Cameron said they would do the vote to get the racist vote in the last election thinking he wouldn't have to do it. Then he did, and he's been vocally against leaving.

Right now "the local man ruins everything" meme applies to him more than anyone else in the world. I really hope they made him go wake up the Queen to tell her he may or may not have misplaced a few of her Kingdoms.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Why are they interviewing a potato?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Thankyou, everybody.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

OhFunny posted:

UK is so hosed.

Whats the chance of the Pound hitting parity with the dollar?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

PhazonLink posted:

Vote Trump for the Tong ending.(LOL racist city states)

Vote Clinton for Illuminati ending.(business as usual which is pretty okay since real life doesn't have gray death, other events also didn't happen/didn't happen yet)

When I first played through that game when I was 16 I being a idiotic teenager chose the Tong ending. Also what has Boris's reaction been?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

OhFunny posted:

UK is so hosed.
Already close to 52 week low

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

nerdrum posted:

Pretty low. Will probably only go as far at 1.25

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

nerdrum posted:

Depends on the timescale. But given the current outlook, I'd give it a couple months.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
This means more 22 yo English guys in Melbourne no doubt

Godammit

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
The GBP will be worth 0.3 USD. Unemployment will rise to 30%, poverty to 45%. Shantytowns will rise in all public parks as law erodes. Welcome to the third world.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

nerdrum posted:

Many currencies seem to be buying dollars like crazy at the moment so it's not outside of the realm of possibility.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

straight up brolic posted:

Pretty low. Will probably only go as far at 1.25

Why couldn't this have happened a month ago when I was in England on business?

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
So is this how they will fix the London housing crisis?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Fragrag posted:

So is this how they will fix the London housing crisis?

I suppose there's no housing crisis if there's no London.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
When would they halt trading on the London Stock Exchange? They can't let just fall straight off the edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

logikv9 posted:

i'm excited for the next PM, the chaos reigns wolf

its a fox!

• Locked thread