Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
Is there a good unbiased rundown of the Brexit situation overall somewhere? I'm a US goon that started paying attention to this way too late and everything I'm looking at either seems really partisan or has very little information other than 'this is good/bad'.

Edit: e.g. how it affects uk/europe + why this vote is even happening in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

Thanks for the info links.

I really don't understand this fear of experts and massive distrust of knowledge that people have. I understand that some 'experts' are paid rear end in a top hat shills - smart people, but still rear end in a top hat shills. But that's not all of them. That's not even the majority of them.

My general philosophy is that there are obviously a huge amount of people that are both smarter than me and also spend most of their life getting really good at poo poo that I think about for maybe five minutes. While I should obviously form my own opinion on a subject, I also know that these people have way more knowledge on that subject than I do. Why should I distrust them (as a whole)? Why would I assume that I know better than them? I really don't understand how people have this level of distrust, and yet I see it every loving day. What is the source? Is it age? My philosophy hasn't changed in ten years, so I don't think it's that. Is it just general stupidity? blaarrrgghhh

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Here in the southern colony the share market imploded to the tune of 50 billion aussiebucks today

Soon.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

daslog posted:

I've been sitting here the whole time thinking that the Greek Crisis (which still isn't solved) more or less proved that that EU is a flawed concept. Yes, I know Britain has their own currency, but it's still not a good idea to hitch your wagon to a horse that may run off a cliff at any moment.

Eh I think the Euro has been more of a problem than the EU, strictly speaking. That said yeah when a heart idea turns into a lovely paralyzed bureaucracy then maybe it's not such a good idea any more.

• Locked thread