Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change

A little confused by this. My friends and I all know this is plainly a funyarinpa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Miyako is the one of the most interesting characters to me because she is so sensible within the setting. Having a blind character that uses sight-jacking to go about her daily life really sells that aspect to me. An interesting foreshadowing detail too is within the introduction, where she reacts when the dog sees Kyoya (and the dog didn't make a sound), and she's not looking in quite the right direction.

Penile Dementia
Feb 13, 2006

I Left My Heart in Stamford Bridge

Antistar01 posted:

I like the Siren soundtrack a lot. I sometimes add it to other games, even (adding it to the dungeon tracks in Skyrim, that sort of thing). It's very creepy.

There's an effective recurring vocal theme (we heard it right at the start of the game) that features in my favourite track, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8kMBksVo-I

Yes! I bloody love that track, it's just haunting on so many levels. Blood Curse's version is quite good as well, which was a pleasant surprise.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Ohhhh hell yes. I love this game, but I have never been able to complete it myself. I just can't get past those awful gun controls. Which would be fine except for those two stages... or more? I haven't gotten terribly far. But it's so creepy, the atmosphere still holds up perfectly.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
With this stage, we're finally given a real way to seriously fight back against the shibito. Sure, Tamon had a gun, but I doubt anyone who played that stage took a look at his sixteen bullets and thought "Yeah, I'm invincible!". Or at least, if they did, they weren't playing for much longer.

Give your character a melee weapon, though, and you have a LOT less of a reason to fear the non-sniper shibito in a stage. Even if there are a couple of them, all it really takes is some basic evasion and you can take them all out. Or, y'know, you can knock one or two down and then run away, if you're gonna be like that.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Derek Barona posted:

With this stage, we're finally given a real way to seriously fight back against the shibito. Sure, Tamon had a gun, but I doubt anyone who played that stage took a look at his sixteen bullets and thought "Yeah, I'm invincible!". Or at least, if they did, they weren't playing for much longer.

Give your character a melee weapon, though, and you have a LOT less of a reason to fear the non-sniper shibito in a stage. Even if there are a couple of them, all it really takes is some basic evasion and you can take them all out. Or, y'know, you can knock one or two down and then run away, if you're gonna be like that.

Not that it takes away the tension. As mentioned before, you gently caress up once and get the attention of a gun wielding shibito or get two or more on top of you? You're hosed. Even if you misjudge the timing of your swings and get hit a couple times you're done. It's not difficult, per-se. But the risk is always high.

In fact, it's amazing that that rifle shot didn't kill him. I don't know for sure, but I think it's not always a guarantee that kyoya will survive it. (I know other characters will not survive that full stop)

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 7, 2016

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
The faces are so uncanny. Can't wait to see how everything ties together!

Discendo Vox posted:

A note for video 1: "Ankoko butoh" refers to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butoh , an early form of abstract Japanese theatric dance. It's been a source of inspiration for a number of horror things.

Butoh is actually a relatively recent phenomenon, beginning post WWII - one of the founders of the style is still alive, performing and teaching today. The founders wanted to create a kind of dance that portrayed Japanese bodies rather than the idealized kind seen in Western dances like ballet. One of them, Hijikata Tatsumi, would adapt motions he remembered from his childhood in rural Japan into his dances, but in general many works dealt with death, which might be why the style of motion and makeup commonly used show up a lot in Japanese horror works.

The 'ankoku butoh in plain air' part is pretty straightforward, but here's a clip from a documentary where it's actually performed like that (for a few seconds, anyway):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2d5a3c1Gb0&t=1147s

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
I get so happy when another SGF let's play starts.

Duel
Jan 27, 2005

Never played this one, but after watching SGF's short lp of NightCry this game in comparison looks top-notch graphically, story and gameplay wise. Toyama really nailed the atmosphere in this one as well.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I know i'm a bit late to saying things but I'm glad to see a new LP of this game, the one that's in the archives (assuming it's still around since those vids were on viddler or dailymotion i think?) is kinda hard to watch these days with the video quality being what it is. Also as an aside,SGF, i really like how fast you are putting out these videos. I guess that's the advantage of the levels in the game being so short.

RoyalScion posted:

I always enjoyed Egomaniac's big Siren LPs, but I think he ran into some personal stuff and couldn't do his remastered versions.

I did like the original Siren the best, although Siren 2's monster design seriously creeps the gently caress out of me and Siren: Blood Curse does that too.

Should be interesting to get another take on the series, since I'm absolutely unable to play these types of games at all.

Even though he LP'd both i think a lot of the moments i'm looking forward to in this game probably came from the second game. They really did just go all out and make the second game so much better.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Duel posted:

Never played this one, but after watching SGF's short lp of NightCry this game in comparison looks top-notch graphically, story and gameplay wise. Toyama really nailed the atmosphere in this one as well.

I was going to say, after watching that kludgy jank, it's remarkable to watch a game that makes its awkwardness deliberate.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

(assuming it's still around since those vids were on viddler or dailymotion i think?)

Seems to still be on dailymotion. 2 and Blood Curse are also on the internet archive, but 1 isn't, for some reason.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Unfortunately, the archive collection, which was one of the nicest, most informative parts of those LPs, is lost.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Aren't the archive collections on the LP Archive? I mean I haven't checked 2 or Blood Curse in a whole minute but I actually rewatched Ego's Siren 1 LP (and the aborted re-do) like two months ago and I remembered the archives being there.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Mountain Lightning posted:

Aren't the archive collections on the LP Archive? I mean I haven't checked 2 or Blood Curse in a whole minute but I actually rewatched Ego's Siren 1 LP (and the aborted re-do) like two months ago and I remembered the archives being there.

Getting into the answer would be spoilers, but the basic version is a lot is missing.

NeverKnowsBests
Jun 8, 2013
just found out about this

https://www.unseen64.net/2009/11/24/siren-special-edition-ps2-unreleased/

now i truly feel sad for many reasons ):

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

NeverKnowsBests posted:

just found out about this

https://www.unseen64.net/2009/11/24/siren-special-edition-ps2-unreleased/

now i truly feel sad for many reasons ):
Yea I think I could've tried Siren out with an easy mode definitely. It's just such an intimidating game!

Godnnelg
Jun 25, 2013
There are some checkpoints in the game when you meet certain objectives on a level.
If you know what they are ahead of time, it's to your advantage to get the secondary objectives done first before the checkpoint.

I'll bet that Super Great Friend will be making extensive use of them in this playthrough.

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

P.6 - There's Something in the Air

Godnnelg
Jun 25, 2013
I think Siren would be more fun if the secondary objectives were a bit more sensible and flowed better with the plot.

Also, this chapter is one of my least favorite stages to play.. :-(

Like the one poster said, I had no idea what the other objectives were and I really did not want to replay this level.
I stopped playing Siren way back when due to this.

Godnnelg fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 12, 2016

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Here's the map SGF shows at the end, for future reference:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Yeah, Akira is the best character but this stage always stymies me. I haven't gotten past it the second time, which is a pity because I like Siren

Godnnelg
Jun 25, 2013

MissEchelon posted:

Yeah, Akira is the best character but this stage always stymies me. I haven't gotten past it the second time, which is a pity because I like Siren

The snipers that tend to be looking in the direction you are coming from are annoying in this level, and they are very easy to forget about after restarting the stage.
That sniper in the courtyard is the biggest annoyance as you have to slowly aim and shoot him before he notices you at the start.

If you don't hurry enough after pushing that trolley, the one sniper will get up and block your progress completely as well.

SuperGreatFriend really showed the difficulty well of playing through this stage, and I bet he doesn't want to replay it again.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

A Murata is a really old rifle, isn't it? Like 19th century old.

Godnnelg
Jun 25, 2013
Indeed it is! Akira must be a gun hobbyist! ;-)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murata_rifle

Fun fact, the founder of Murata Manufacturing (who make Electronic components) is also named Akira.

Phanos
Jul 24, 2006
So who made the sandwiches?

Night10194 posted:

A Murata is a really old rifle, isn't it? Like 19th century old.

Late 1890s to be more exact. A very old rifle, but I people own Mosin-Nagants from around the same era so it's not that odd. Could be a rifle that's been in his family for a couple generations as well. It easily could have been his father's gun considering that he's 70 years old.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm waiting for the game to do a "in order to do a secondary objective you can't pick up this thing" in a later level. With some of these puzzles I wouldn't be surprised if it does.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

There isn't anything like that thankfully, it really is just doing obscure things that you'd never think to do.

Even though you aren't meant to find these secondary objectives the first time through the game. That doesn't change the fact that chronologically, a man froze a towel and then at the same time another put a radio and a random monster down the well. Not to mention several people unknowingly pushing over several stone markers for no reason!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That's the part that bugs me, personally. There's never a reason for the person to do those things, and in some cases they are even counter productive to the character doing them, but they're super important for someone else they'll never meet! When it's all one character, you can have something approaching rational explanations like "the character figured it out because he bumbled into the earlier thing and remembered it" or even just "the character is a weirdo" but here everyone is a weirdo.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Maybe that's the point. They don't know why they're doing it, but they're somehow compelled to complete this abstract task. Like some kind of divine intervention.

I really dig that the maps sort of connect. From the levels alone, I assumed they were all just separate parts of the village.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

I'm really impressed so far with how much mileage each map is getting. They seem very dense for their size. Also, I'm pretty excited to see where this goes, i'd never be brave enough to play this without sgf's guiding wisdom.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

And More posted:

Maybe that's the point. They don't know why they're doing it, but they're somehow compelled to complete this abstract task. Like some kind of divine intervention.

This is a good way to think about it, honestly

azren
Feb 14, 2011

The thing that bugged me most here was as follows: *approaches Japanese sliding door* "It's locked." Wait, what!? I'm not sure how you lock those, but either way, they are made of wood and paper! A lock isn't going to hinder someone who wants to get in.

Also, SGF, listening to your uncertainty regarding the pronunciation of Kei's name, would you like me to post a brief thing on Japanese pronunciation, or would that be unwelcome?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

azren posted:

Also, SGF, listening to your uncertainty regarding the pronunciation of Kei's name, would you like me to post a brief thing on Japanese pronunciation, or would that be unwelcome?
I don't know that he's necessarily going for Akira-cy. :v:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I think posting how to pronounce all the characters' names would be fine, probably

azren
Feb 14, 2011

flatluigi posted:

I think posting how to pronounce all the characters' names would be fine, probably

assuming unspoken "h"
A = "ah"
I = "ee" in "meek"
U = "oo" in "oops"
E = "e" in "enter"
O = "oh"
EI = "ay" in "yay"

So for names (dashes separate syllables):

Akira Shimura = Ah-kee-rah Shee-moo-rah
Hisako Yao = Hee-sah-koh Yaoh
Kei Makino = Kay Mah-kii-noh
Kyoya Suda = Kyoh-yah Suu-dah
Miyako Kajiro = Mii-yah-ko Kah-jii-roh
Tamon Takeuchi = Tah-mohn Tah-kay-uu-chii
Yoriko Anno = Yoh-ree-koh Ahn-noh

Not perfect, kinda messy, but it's not too far off

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, the British voices are not a good model for pronunciation. :byodood: "Toe-MOH-koh!"

InspectorSands
Feb 19, 2011

I am here to inspect your kitchen sink!
Akira's stage is also a level that is really hard to watch, which is a pity as it's the first daylight level (I think?) in the game, always interesting to see in horror games. That and he's the one with a nice gun, so you can shoot everyone, something that's strange in this game. But his level is pretty big, there's lots of things to do that don't really make sense, and maybe more than the usual amount of waiting thanks to how many snipers there are to instakill you.

Lots of LPers stay quiet in horror games trying to let you enjoy the atmosphere, not telling you much about what they're doing or why - subs or voiced. Because of that, I've grown tired of many Siren LPs thanks to this level, but this time my interest was kept. Good job there, supergreatfriend.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

azren posted:

I = "ee" in "meek"
U = "oo" in "oops"
Except short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Aumanor posted:

Except short.

I'm fairly sure the u isn't short. Apparently, it's completely different from any u used in English (IPA: /ɯ/), but it's still closer to long /u:/ than short /ʊ/. Still not sure which syllable I'm supposed to put the main stress on. :shrug:

Clearly, the true horror lies in the intricacies of Japanese Phonology.

• Locked thread