Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
so many worldwide religions and belief systems have a concept of an afterlife where the damned sinful go. you know, a place for people like you and me that love beer and cocaine and dicks way too much. lets have an open and honest chat here about hell.

lets kick it off with some of the BIG DOGS (woof woof) OF THE HELL GAME

ABRAHAMIC FAITHS:

members of abrahamic faiths, such as christians, jews and muslims base pretty much 99.9% of their lives thinking about hell and how they don't want to go there. sometimes referred to as tartarus or gehenna, a common trend between the three is that hell is all gnarly as gently caress with lakes of boiling water and fire just spraying everywhere while satan prods you in the rear end with a pike 24/7. italian writer dante popularized an idea somewhat based in religious texts that hell has seven layers or circles where people are damned according to their primary sins in life.

BUDDHISM:

in buddhism there is an afterlife realm known as naraka that a person can be reborn into after death due to your karma. they are sometimes described as caverns extending deep into the earth, and being generally unpleasant featuring things like demons and fire and poo poo. unlike in christianity, your stay in naraka will be finite, until you're ready to be reborn as a higher being.

NORSE MYTHOLOGY:

i dont really understand what the gently caress the deal with "hel" is in norse mythology. apparently the english word hell is probably derived from it and it is some kind of afterlife place to go. some other facts include "The Völva states that a crowing 'sooty-red cock from the halls of Hel' is one of three cocks that will signal one of the beginning events of Ragnarök" and there are legendary "hel-shoes"

what are your favorite hells, gbs? and what are you going to do when you get there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Shitpost a bunch and get probated by Satan, only probation in hell means eating razors or something.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
The hell of the upside down sinners.

Btw sorry about your thread op. :(

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
I hope this thread goes to GBS hell, by which I mean the gas chamber

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Iron Prince posted:

so many worldwide religions and belief systems have a concept of an afterlife where the damned sinful go. you know, a place for people like you and me that love beer and cocaine and dicks way too much. lets have an open and honest chat here about hell.

lets kick it off with some of the BIG DOGS (woof woof) OF THE HELL GAME

ABRAHAMIC FAITHS:

members of abrahamic faiths, such as christians, jews and muslims base pretty much 99.9% of their lives thinking about hell and how they don't want to go there. sometimes referred to as tartarus or gehenna, a common trend between the three is that hell is all gnarly as gently caress with lakes of boiling water and fire just spraying everywhere while satan prods you in the rear end with a pike 24/7. italian writer dante popularized an idea somewhat based in religious texts that hell has seven layers or circles where people are damned according to their primary sins in life.

BUDDHISM:

in buddhism there is an afterlife realm known as naraka that a person can be reborn into after death due to your karma. they are sometimes described as caverns extending deep into the earth, and being generally unpleasant featuring things like demons and fire and poo poo. unlike in christianity, your stay in naraka will be finite, until you're ready to be reborn as a higher being.

NORSE MYTHOLOGY:

i dont really understand what the gently caress the deal with "hel" is in norse mythology. apparently the english word hell is probably derived from it and it is some kind of afterlife place to go. some other facts include "The Völva states that a crowing 'sooty-red cock from the halls of Hel' is one of three cocks that will signal one of the beginning events of Ragnarök" and there are legendary "hel-shoes"

what are your favorite hells, gbs? and what are you going to do when you get there?

the one where you aren't allowed to post anymore

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power

I kicked rear end in hell. I'm not worried.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Also you should include Hades and Tartarus in the OP. Tartarus is rad as gently caress. It's as far below Hell/Hades as Hades is below the surface of the earth. It's just craaaazy deep and pitch black and it's where Zeus banished Cronos and the other Titans to after he took over.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
There is no heaven or hell in Judaism

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
"If there is a hell, I'll see you there!" - Archbishop Reznor

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

Also you should include Hades and Tartarus in the OP. Tartarus is rad as gently caress. It's as far below Hell/Hades as Hades is below the surface of the earth. It's just craaaazy deep and pitch black and it's where Zeus banished Cronos and the other Titans to after he took over.

https://youtu.be/ubaE2TBlTQU

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

the one where you aren't allowed to post anymore

this is the thread about hell, not heaven

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Didn't read the op but I saw a poo poo ton of x's and thought this thread might be hardcore enough for me..

.. Maybe

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Christianity doesn't get its fair shake in media, it can get a lot weirder then it does in stories and video games where its usually considered the more boring option imo.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
I dunno, anime and JRPGs make catholicism seem way more badass than it actually is

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't think hell is likely all that bad. It's probably not great or anything but at least the devil has some PASSION for making it terrible.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

je1 healthcare posted:

I dunno, anime and JRPGs make catholicism seem way more badass than it actually is

So how catholic was Eva?

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
Already there, Iron Prince. Hell is a state of mind. gently caress.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

i was just thinking of hell wow iron prince we have a lot more in common than id like to admit!

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
Dante's Inferno is a fanfiction of the bible wherein a Mary-Sue gets led through Hell to see his least favorite people get tortured in "ironically fitting" ways.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

one time I ate 9 grams of mushrooms and my friend was tripsitting me and watching the trailer park boys and I had never seen it before and after like 3 episodes I was like oh my God this is the same episode every time I'm dead this is hell and was really convinced I actually was dead and in hell and then I spent a large portion of the night just staring at another friend of mine who was a young lady of like 19 I was 21 I think and I kept saying I'm going to rape you and I didn't like go near her or anything I just kept telling her that because hey I'm in hell what the heck why not and then the next day I felt really loving bad because I woke up and was obviously not dead

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I'm a jack mormon, so I'm guaranteed to be in the lowly Mormon heaven. As long as I don't reject Jesus I don't get sent to outer darkness.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Celluloid Sam posted:

one time I ate 9 grams of mushrooms and my friend was tripsitting me and watching the trailer park boys and I had never seen it before and after like 3 episodes I was like oh my God this is the same episode every time I'm dead this is hell and was really convinced I actually was dead and in hell and then I spent a large portion of the night just staring at another friend of mine who was a young lady of like 19 I was 21 I think and I kept saying I'm going to rape you and I didn't like go near her or anything I just kept telling her that because hey I'm in hell what the heck why not and then the next day I felt really loving bad because I woke up and was obviously not dead

:chloe:

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Edgar posted:

I'm a jack mormon, so I'm guaranteed to be in the lowly Mormon heaven. As long as I don't reject Jesus I don't get sent to outer darkness.

sorry about your weird family and acquaintances

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i just smoke weed now

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
Hell is a glass dick with no nut am I right drug smokers?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

that sounds really good. nothing like a little deep rooted hatred bubbling to the surface in the midst of confusing and powerful drug use. it makes you feel more than alive. it makes you feel good. it makes me feel like a god.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTzVPgFjE9c

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Edgar posted:

https://youtu.be/ppNHaCN1A84

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Wayne Barlowe draws a good Hell

turns out hell is good

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

what circle of hell do anime enthusiasts wind up at

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

hth posted:

what circle of hell do anime enthusiasts wind up at

Futanari

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

turns out hell is good

Those are cool but very grimdark. Presumably hell wouldn't need bleeding eyeballs and mourning skeletons to let you know where you are. When I think of what a personal hell would be like I think darkness, emptiness, and all those nightmare notions that seem so absolutely real at the time. If I could sum it all up, I might attempt the phrase "excruciating alienation".

After all, the worst part of the classical hell is not a medieval notion of torture. It is the distance from anything pure, good, or true that is the ultimate self-punishment.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

this guy is awesome

anyway here's a top-notch hellscape, "A Warm Welcome" by Thomas Visscher:

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Constant Hamprince posted:

I hope this thread goes to GBS hell, by which I mean the gas chamber

ACtually GBS hell is just GBS.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

It's as far from the surface as the surface is from heaven. Hades isn't that far down.

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

Hello! I hope you are having a nice day!

Celluloid Sam posted:

sorry this post happened in your thread op

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
See the thing about hell is... If you've ever been to JFK.. *hooting, some cheers*, brother.. You have been there *laughing, more cheers*

I hear stories about hell fire and brimstone and pitchforks and all I can think of is that little announcement ladies voice

We are sorry to inform passengers travelling on American Airlines flight 443 to Los Angeles... Your flight, has been delayed *cheering, laughing, some applause*

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

There is no heaven or hell in Judaism

The Jewish bible is the Old Testament right? So not until Jesus comes along do people get threatened with eternal hellfire?
Religion of peace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
This thread needs more rad images artist's conceptualizations of hell.

• Locked thread