Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

From the Kickstarter:

quote:

Since its release in 1999, 7th Sea has brought thousands of fans into the world of Théah—a place similar to our own Europe in the year 1668. Inspired by the works of Alexandre Dumas, The Princess Bride, and other works of high adventure, 7th Sea played fast and furious, emulating the pace of movies like Captain Blood, The Three Musketeers, and Pirates of the Caribbean.

And now 7th Sea is back in the hands of its original creator—that’s me! John Wick!—and that means it's time to bring 7th Sea back to your gaming table!

The new and improved map of Theah.

~~~~~

The much-awaited second edition of 7th Sea has just been released, so I thought I'd run a game. This is part proper game, part playtest. I haven't played the new edition yet, as I'm sure most of you haven't either.

If you're familiar with first edition, that's great. There's enough here that you'll find familiar.

If you've never played first edition, that's great. You won't have to unlearn all the differences.

The main difference in the new edition is the absence of the roll & keep mechanic. Now, you roll your dice and use them all to make Raises. Each raise can be used to complete an Action, gain an Opportunity or avoid a Consequence - it's more or less that simple. This means that the game has become a lot more story-driven, and a lot less mechanics-driven. Make of that what you will.

~~~~~

I'm looking for five players. Make your characters as per the rules and be sure to include your Story and twenty questions. The basic premise of the game is that your character has been called to court of a minor Montaignan noble, Vicomte Absolon d'Marchand de Paix. The Vicomte is well known for his eccentricities, and predictably has summoned you without giving reason. It's up to you to determine why you're answering his call.

~~~~~

Vicissitude - Maria Alceda de la Cruz, Castillian Diestro Done
Dachshundofdoom - Alexei Zolotariov, Ussuran Sorceror Done
Vulpes Vulpes - Anatolio, Vodacce Esploratore Done
Werix - Gudrun, Vesten Sailor? Done
Friar John - Henneke Maximilianus, Eisen Mercenary Done
Manifest Dynasty - Matas, Sarmatian Spy 20 questions not finished
Waci - Lenore Kenefick, Avalon Knight Errant Done
Waffleman_ - Angela Chevalier, Montaigne Pirate Done
professor_curly - Eldgrim Hrandsen, Vesten Pirate Done
Alien Rope Burn - Zsófia Ezses, Sarmatian Treasure Hunter Done
Epicurius - Dawid Swardowski, Sarmatian Duelist No story, no 20 questions or background

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

pre:
Name: Maria Alceda de la Cruz
Nation: Castille
Virtue: Courageous
Hubris: Loyal

Traits:

Brawn    2
Finesse  4
Resolve  2
Wits     2
Panache  3

Skills:

- Athletics     3
- Brawl         2
- Convince      2
- Empathy       2
- Intimidate    1
- Perform       2
- Ride          1
- Sailing       1
- Scholarship   1
- Tempt         2
- Weaponry      3

Advantages:

- An Honest Misunderstanding
- Disarming Smile
- Duelist Academy (Aldana)
- Fencer
- Friend at Court

Backgrounds:

- Courtier
- Destrecero

Stories:
- Reunite with Santia, the girl she loves who was sent away.
  - Speak with Santia's relatives
  - Travel to the last place she sent a letter
  - Disrupt the wedding
     - Reunited

1. What country is your Hero from?
Castille

2. How would you physically describe yourself?
Average height for a woman of her country, slender but finely toned from years of an active life and practice with the sword.

3. Does your character have recurring mannerisms?
Her hands fidget like they need to be doing something.

4. What is your Hero's main motivation?
When she was young, Maria fell in love with a local girl. Unfortunately neither family approved and Santia was sent away. Maria is trying to find her again.

5. What is your Hero's greatest strength? Greatest weakness?
Maria really is as good with the sword as she thinks, and can be quite a charming conversationalist. Unfortunately she has a short temper and can get easily discouraged if things don't go her way from the start.

6. What are your Hero's most favorite things? Least favorite?
Singing and dancing are the two things Maria loves most, and the only thing that makes a social gathering endurable. Lessons are the worst, though. She can barely sit still enough to answer a question because she'd rather be moving.

7. What about your Hero's psychology?
Sheer overbearing confidence trying to hide a broken heart.

8. What is your Hero's single greatest fear?
Never finding Santia and having to stay alone forever, or perhaps married off to someone she doesn't and never will love.

9. What are your Hero's highest ambitions? Greatest love?
To be the greatest swordswoman in the land! And of course to have Santia by her side.

10. What is your Hero's opinion of his country?
"Our lands were stolen by foreign bastards. We must show the rest of Theah what it means to slight Castillian honor!"

11. Does your Hero have any prejudices?
The Montaigne and blasphemers (sometimes one in the same). One is an affront to her country, the other an affront to Theus.

12. Where do your Hero's loyalties lie?
Where most Castillians would say God, the Church and the Family, Maria would place family first.

13. Is your Hero in love? Is he married or betrothed?
Certainly in love, though long lost.

14. What about your Hero's family?
She adores her father and gets on well with her mother, despite being so fiercely independent. Her older brother looks after her and her younger sister looks up to her.

15. How would your Hero's parents describe him?
"So much potential, but she won't use it all. I just hope she calms down a little soon so she can realize it."

16. Is your Hero a gentleman or gentlewoman?
Eh, sort of? Maria will be friendly and respectful until the time comes to be less gentle.

17. How religious is your Hero? What sect of the Church does she follow?
She wouldn't call herself devout, but Maria is certainly a believer and attends services as often as she can. As for sect, she doesn't really go in for them. Let Theus' light shine your path and let everyone worship him in their own way.

18. Is your Hero a member of a guild, gentleman's club or secret society?
Just a member of a Duelist Academy teaching the Aldana style.

19. What does your Hero think of Sorcery?
Sorcery is uncommon enough, especially in Castille, to still hold wonder and terror for Maria.

20. If you could, what advice would you give your Hero?
"Calm down, have some dip. You're going to piss someone off and then what do you have? A whole lot of angry family members looking for revenge, that's what."

Vicissitude fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 26, 2016

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Making someone super into the Sidhe if that's still possible, a Vendel League bureaucrat if not.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Alexei Zolotariov

Once, long ago, I was a terribly cruel man. I left my family and our farm behind when I was young. It was a terrible thing to do, for all hands must help out on the farm, but I was too proud and selfish to care. To this day, I cannot bear the thought of facing them. Perhaps I will look up a cousin someday and try to rebuild the bridges I burned. Perhaps it would be best if I did not.

When I left my family, I wandered the country as a vagabond, seeking my fortune. To be truthful, I was little more than a common bandit. I never killed a man, but I left more than a few beaten in a ditch, and often that is the same as dead. Especially in Ussura. I abused my great strength for terrible ends. And then I met her. Matushka. And being the monster that I was, I tried to rob her, thinking she was just another old woman. Now the thought of such things makes me sick.

I give thanks every day that she sought me out and put herself in my path, for through her words and the Kosnut’sya, it was like a veil was lifted from my very soul. Suddenly, in an instant, I understood how vile I was. Oh, how I wept at her feet! And she smiled and said to me, "You know what you must do, Alexei, my child." And I did. Ever since I have wandered, seeking to teach the same Lessons I was given.

It has not been easy. I must teach through actions rather than words, for I am no maker of fine speeches, and many people are frightened of my great stature. There is not much I can do other than fight, and some people do not understand that, and think I am a rashly violent man. There is a difference between a friendly brawl and a fight, and there is a difference between a fight and a fight with someone who deserves it. But there is no one who does not deserve forgiveness, no matter how difficult it is to give it to them, and those who are in need deserve all the kindness you can give to them. So I try to help out however I can.

That is why I joined Močiutės Skara, for they seek to help the downtrodden. I am not a true agent, but I work with them whenever I can, and then I move on to the next place that the wind takes me. I wish to see the world while I spread the Lessons, so I do not stay in one place for long. But I received a message yesterday from a noble in Montaigne, and I do not have the slightest idea what he wants. I can't even imagine how he has heard of me; the only thing I can guess is that he learned of me by making contact with Močiutės Skara, and they recommended me. I do not like the nobility much, but I give everyone a chance, for that is the right thing to do. I will go visit him and see what he wants. If nothing else, perhaps I will make some coin, but I hope it will be a chance to help someone who really needs it.

pre:
Name: Alexei Zolotariov
Nation: Ussura
Virtue: Glorious

Traits:

Brawn    4
Finesse  2
Resolve  3
Wits     2
Panache  2

Skills:

Athletics	3
Brawl		3
Convince	3
Empathy		2
Hide 		2
Intimidate	3
Perform		3
Tempt		1
Theft		1

Advantages:

Able Drinker
Boxer
Large
Sorcery (Regeneration+Command Owls/Forgiveness)
Sorcery (Illuminate+Sew/Kindness)
Staredown
Strength of Ten
Survivalist

Backgrounds:

-Pugilist
-Touched by Matushka

Story: Something to Live or Die For (4 Steps)
Ending: I've devoted myself to Močiutės Skara and work as a full agent in my travels.
Reward: Riot Breaker Advantage
First Step: Make contact with Močiutės Skara in Montaigne and get a job.
pre:
1. What Nation is your Hero from?

Ussura

2. How would you physically describe your Hero?

A muscular giant of man in plain but well-kept clothing. Younger than he looks.
His knuckles are crooked from boxer's breaks, and he has many small scars.

3. Does your Hero have recurring mannerisms?

His lips move slightly when he reads. He often half-hums half-sings Ussuran
songs to himself when he is walking or working.

4. What is your Hero’s main motivation?

He is wandering for adventure's sake, but where he goes, he tries to make up
for his shady past by defending the innocent from the cruel.

5. What is your Hero’s greatest strength? Greatest weakness?

He's a skilled brawler, used to fighting armed men with nothing better than
his bare hands and his terrifying strength. On the other hand, he's overconfident
that his strength and endurance can always carry the day.

6. What are your Hero’s most and least favorite things?

He loves a good brawl and considers getting into a fight either with or alongside 
someone else the finest possible bonding experience. He hates being on boats,
where he quickly becomes deeply seasick (and can't seem to get over it). If men 
were meant to sail out of sight of land, they would have fins.

7. What about your Hero’s psychology?

He uses relentless optimism and over-friendliness to cover up his deep
guilt about his past actions and his abandonment of his family. He sincerely
believes that everyone deserves kindness and forgiveness, and offers them
because he thinks it's the right thing to do, not to keep his Sorcerous powers.

8. What is your Hero’s single greatest fear?

He's terrified of finding himself slipping back into old habits. He worries
that under enough pressure, he'll deviate from his sworn principles of
kindness and forgiveness, and he doesn't think he'd ever be able to forgive
himself. He can't forgive himself for what he's already done, after all.

9. What are your Hero’s highest ambitions? His greatest love?

He wants to be remembered for always standing up for what's right. He enjoys
nothing more than wandering the world, taking in the sights, and defending
people from those who would take advantage of them.

10. What is your Hero’s opinion of his country?

He is upset to see Ussura split between two rulers, and dislikes the 
ruthlessness of Ketheryna, preferring Ilya's way of doing things. He understands
why many foreigners dislike Ussura, but he privately thinks that Ussuran
food and culture are superior to any that he's come across.

He immediately dislikes the flagrantly and ostentatiously wealthy. Money
spent on useless ornamentation or pointlessly large mansions should have
been given to those in need.

12. Where do your Hero’s loyalties lie?

Above all, he is loyal to his friends. As long as it would not violate his moral
code, he would do anything for them, including dying.

The wandering lifestyle isn't particularly suited to long-term romance, but
he does intend to settle down eventually, once he feels he's seen the world.

14. What about your Hero’s family?

The youngest of 3 sons and 2 daughters, he has been basically estranged from them 
ever since he left the farm behind. He has extended family scattered across Théah, 
but he hasn't contacted any of them yet. One day he hopes to build up the courage
to try to make contact with some extended family, but not yet.

15. How would your Hero’s parents describe him?

His father would call him a good-for-nothing giant who left behind his family,
and then he'd change the subject. His mother was more forgiving, thinking he was
just misguided and young, but she's been dead for 3 years from pneumonia.
Alexei hasn't heard the news yet and he won't unless he decides to get back
in contact with his family.

16. Is your Hero a gentle?

Insofar as he has an overriding moral code that he will fight to defend, yes,
but he doesn't actually hold himself to the code of chivalry, and wouldn't call
himself a gentle.

He's a relatively nonpracticing member of the Ussuran Orthodox Church, although
he is very respectful of Matushka and the Leshiye in particular.

18. Is your Hero a member of a guild, gentle’s club, or secret society?

He joined Močiutės Skara as soon as he heard the details of their mission, and 
looks for a local chapter whenever he arrives somewhere new, since it's a good
way to find people in need. If they approached him about helping to prevent a war
he wouldn't hesitate, but he would not compromise his moral code to do so.

As a Sorcerer himself, he sees it as a gift given to help him to spread the
lessons Matushka taught him so long ago. He's somewhat suspicious of other
types of Sorcery, but only because he doesn't like that kind of power being
thrown around by people who didn't have to learn to be better people to get it.

Forgive yourself and it'll all start to fall in place.

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jun 27, 2016

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution
Edit: Nevermind

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 27, 2016

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Waci posted:

Making someone super into the Sidhe if that's still possible, a Vendel League bureaucrat if not.

its pronounced lovely.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Sormus posted:

its pronounced lovely.

I'm sorry people mispronounce your name

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

"No, just 'Anatolio'. That's it. Truly. What? Of course I made it up! A man's name decides the course of his life, after all! What kind of man would I be if I Iet a name not of my own choosing define me? Just as I take destiny with my own two hands and force it into the shape of my pleasing, so too do I slough off the past and look towards the future! Ordinary men take what they are given, be it name or destiny. Extraordinary men take from life as they please, limited only by their desires and nerve. I have been to every corner of this world we share, speak every language known to man, cannot be poisoned by any substance deadly to the common man. Nothing holds any fear for me, nothing except the idea that someday there may be no more new curiosities to seek."

Story: On the Outs- Anatolio is desperate to get back in his patron's good books after a rather lascivious scandal involving several of their nieces. He has been sent to satisfy the Vicomte's whims partly as an act of good will from his patron back in Vodacce, one of the Vicomte's trading partners, and partly as a punishment for the former soldier and rascally explorer.

Ending: Satisfied with the magnificence of their retainer, Anatolio's patron restores the flow of coin and favour.

Reward: Patron advantage

Step 1: Impress the Vicomte with his moxie and pizazz.

A. Vodacce, the greatest country on Theus' blessed Terra.

A. A tall, swarthy man in a combination of finery and hard-wearing clothing. He carries various curios and keepsakes from his travels on his person at all time.

A. Tends to tell stories about his adventures, references things and people he has seen abroad.

A. Currently, to regain the patronage of his patron, long term to continue to travel the world

A. He has a knack for disrupting the plans of his enemies, but just as commonly he finds himself distracted by the various wonders of the world

A. Anatolio enjoys the fine and the exotic, and as such dislikes the plain and provincial.

A. A thrill-seeker, a bon vivant, a man for whom there is always something new and interesting just beyond that horizon.

A. The mundane. Ennui.

A. Ideally, he would like to be in a position where he no longer requires a patron.

A. Vodacce is a fine and cultured nation which other states doubtless envy for its sophistication.

A. Strangely, Anatolio has no problem with the pure heathenism of the people he's visited in far nations compared to Objectionists, who he views as dreadfully misguided.

A. Anatolio is loyal to his patron, as he understands that without that money and influence, his lifestyle would be significantly less interesting.

A. Outside of being in love with adventure, you mean?

A. Anatolio's family were simple folk whose ambitions he quickly outstripped.He hasn't been back to his home village in many years.

A. Ideas beyond his station.

A. Not much of one.

A. He's Vodacce.

A. Nothing in particular

A. A dreadful sin.

A. It's ok not to investigate something.

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 25, 2016

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I'll make something, since I don't have to worry about a MECHANICALLY USELESS CHARACTER. Bwahahahaha.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Oh man. How's this different from the original? Can I access a builder or something so I can get an idea of how to put a thing together in the new version?

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Gudrun

I know not my name, or at least my birth name. Nor do I know my family, or even my home. Five years ago I was found by a Vestin merchant fleet that had been blown off course by a violent storm. When I was found I was clinging to a small piece of ship, unconscious, and and with the wounds of battle. No other ship, body, or debris was found in sight; almost as if I had been placed there by the storm.I did not regain consciousness until after they had returned home.

Once I did awaken, that is where the real mystery began. I could remember nothing specific of my past, as I indicated. However, I did have knowledge. I knew any language that was presented to me. Not only that, but I was talented with a pistol, and innately knew how to sail a ship as well as ledger work. As far as I could tell, I must have spent my life at sea, traveling the world. There was only one other clue to my origins. I have the following tattooed on my chest, over my heart. No one so far has recognized it.

Some of the doctors thought maybe my memory would return with time, but it has been five years, and I still remember nothing. I had adopted the name Gudrun, from these Vestin folk who have adopted me. The man that found me, Eldgrim Hrandsen is a kind and fair man. He could have dropped me off at the doctor's and left me there, but instead he had kept checking in on me while I was unconscious, and was one of the first men in my room after I had awoken. I think it was in part curiosity as to who I was. When even I did not know that, his curiosity begged him to stay on. He told me about his trading and sailing, and this is when I first started to realize I had my memory of seafaring. When he told me of an upcoming trade voyage, I asked to see a scale chart of his trip, and began to plan the trip, determining how many supplies we had to take with.

It is a math, trying to figure out how much water and food you need. Calculating when your next stop is to pick up water there, how quickly food goes bad, and even factoring in how much fish you could reliably catch to supplement what you bring with. It was clear that in my past life I had a knack for sea-borne logistics, and I have been with Eldgrim and his ship the Vasa ever since.

Who was I? A hero, or a pirate? Did I have a wife? Are there children out there wondering when their father will come home? When I received the summons from Vicomte Absolon d'Marchand de Paix, I quickly went along. Maybe there is something he knows of my past, that will help me remember who I really am?

pre:
Name: Gudrun (Adopted name)
Nation: Vestin
Virtue: Wily

Traits:

Brawn    2
Finesse  3
Resolve  2
Wits     3
Panache  3

Skills:

Aim 3
Brawl 2
Convince 2
Hide 1
sailing 3
warfare 3
Notice 1
Tempt 2
Weaponry 3

Advantages:
Handy
got it
sea legs
bar fighter 
eagle eyes
Linguist
survivalist
Deadeye

Backgrounds:

-Quartermaster: earn a hero point when you solve a problem for your crew
-Sailor: Earn hero point when you put aside personal desires to 
ensure safety and comfort of your allies. 

Stories:Amnesia
Ending: I now know who I was, but is it who I have now become?
Reward: I'm taking you with me. (5 step story)
First Step: I need to find someone to identify this tattoo. The style is not local.
pre:
20 questions:
If only he knew the answer to that question, it would help answer others.

Dark skinned with curly hair, so nothing like anyone else native to Westin. 

I have a tenancy to remove my glasses and pinch my nose when aggravated. 
Makes me horrible at cards.

To uncover my past and discover who I am, or was?

My greatest strength is my adaptability. When in a strange land and clearly a stranger,
you have to learn to adapt to new and different things.

My greatest weakness is fear. Fear that I may never uncover who I am, or that I will not like
who I was.

Being out at sea and everything it entails. Whatever my past life, I was a sailor, as I 
always feel at home on the deck of a ship, or in the cramped under decks.

My least favorite things are gambling (I am horrible at it) as well and people who get
too drunk. It is so demeaning to oneself. Plus blacking out is an all to scary proposition

Well, I would say that the whole "not remembering my life" is a very 
Dominant psychological trait.

Fear that I may never uncover who I am, or that I will not like
who I was.

To do right is my highest ambition, and my greatest love is the sea.

10. What is your Hero's opinion of his country? What does the fall of Gilneas mean to you?
My adopted country is fair enough. I fit in with the strong, yet new, merchant tradition.
The fall of Gilneas means nothing to me, I don't even know what that is.

Yes, I despise those who get intoxicated to the extreme. If I ever see someone get that drunk,
my opinion of them usually never recovers. 

My loyalties like with whomever my shipmates are on a given voyage. You have to when out at sea.

I have stayed away from love. Not knowing if I have a love out there still waiting makes me 
hesitant to fall in love with anyone else.

If only I could tell you.

I would hope they would be proud, but I wouldn't know.

I would like to think I am. I will fight to defend myself and my allies, but beyond that
I usually do not take to violence easy, and would rather think and ponder something out.

Though given my innate skill at arms, maybe I wasn't always a gentleman. 

I am not religious. Being a stranger to these lands, I never felt any connection with
their religious practices.

I have dabbled with some of the Mariner houses here in Vestin, but I have not outright
joined their ranks. I usually attend and fraternize to try and find jobs to take me to sea.

I typically don't. I haven't had enough interaction with it to form an opinion.

Don't put all your hopes into finding out your background, the game might not last that long.

Werix fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 30, 2016

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Probably going to do a Knight of Avalon or a Žynys, depending on what sort of risks I want to take.

Redeye Flight posted:

Oh man. How's this different from the original? Can I access a builder or something so I can get an idea of how to put a thing together in the new version?

Character creation more or less completely redone outside of some similarities in terminology. There's a character builder here for Excel 2007+ but it's unfinished as I understand it.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

pre:
Name: Henneke Maximilianus
Nation: Eisen
Virtue: Victorious
Hubris: Relentless

Traits:
	Brawn    3
	Finesse  2
	Resolve  4
	Wits     2
	Panache  2

Skills: 
	Aim 1
	Athletics 2
	Brawl 3
	Intimidate 2
	Notice 2
	Ride 2
	Warfare 3
	Weaponry 5

Advantages:
	Hard to Kill - You no longer become Helpless when you have four Dramatic Wounds.
	Cast Iron Stomach - Spoiled or raw food never negatively affects you
	Staredown - Spend a Hero Point to intimidate a character into backing down
	Academy -  When you make a Risk using Athletics, Warfare or Ride, all of your dice gain +1 to their value.
	Large - Gain 1 Bonus Die on any Risk that is easier due to your size
	Linguist - You speak, read, and write all Théan languages
	Bruiser - You gain 1 Bonus Die when you make a Weaponry Risk using a claymore, zweihander, battle axe, halberd or similar weapon in both hands.

Backgrounds:
	Krieger - Earn a Hero Point when you choose to fight to defend the defenseless or prevent destruction. 
	Mercenary - Earn a Hero Point when you choose to ply your trade for a reason that’s worth more to you than money. 

Stories: Vendetta
	Ending: Captain Xavier is dead
	Reward: Gain a Signature Item
	First Step: Finding out where Xavier fled

Eisen

Henneke is tall and broad-shouldered, though his gut is beginning to show. 
        His broad-rimmed hat has a silver buckle, a prize he won for capturing an enemy standard in a battle during the War of the Cross. 
        He wears a very rich black slashed doublet with gold thread accents that he gained looting some poor town. 
        His pants are somewhat less rich in taste, but are a dark brown that hides mud and blood well. 
        His boots are sheer black leather, a gift from a Castillian. He takes care to oil his red moustache, but leaves his beard untouched.

When deep in thought, Henneke taps his foot and strokes his moustache.

Henneke is looking for Captain Xavier, the man Henneke believes betrayed The Saturnines to complete destruction by 
        demons during the War of the Cross. 
        He wants to destroy him.

The ability to do whatever is necessary to survive. He has an over-great fondness for drink though.

Henneke adores music. A fine viol player can send him into tears.
	He hates watered-down wine.

Henneke is trying to outrun his past and his awful case of Survivor's Guilt. 
        He never stays too long in one place, and he signs up to mercenary companies and 
        bodyguard duties for whatever terms are needed before mustering out and continuing on his way.

Running into someone who remembers him from his old mercenary regiment, The Saturnines.

His greatest ambition is seeing a memorial to his fallen comrades built somewhere.

10. What is your Hero's opinion of his country? What does the fall of Gilneas mean to you?
	"All Eisners are God-damned fools"

Farmers. Henneke hates their front of obsequiousness, which is always a mask for brutal violence underneath.

The paymaster. His dead comrades.

Married once. She met him in campaign and followed with him, but died of illness during a siege.

They had been Bauern, fairly prosperous free holders for many decades. Now they were all dead or scattered. 
        Henneke doesn't know which. It happened years ago when soldiers ravaged the land. Henneke had the good fortune to not be there when it happened.

"He was a good, hard-working boy."

Absolutely not, though Henneke will just as surely stab a fool who insults his honor.

Vaticine, but although he throws himself into ritual, Henneke is certain that God hates him.

Only that society of men who earn their bread by force of arms.

As above, so below. Another thing to keep track of during war. Summoning, however... that's a different story.

You need a therapist.
Montaigne is a land moving up, its sun approaching a zenith unsurpassed. That light draws many who would have some of it for themselves. Henneke is not one of them, but he seeks one who is. The Vicomte Absolon is known to be strange, Henneke hopes that the man is strange enough to have run across the one-eyed man Henneke once called Captain - Xavier.

Friar John fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 26, 2016

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Rough draft:

Matas

20 Questions:

1. What Nation is you Hero from?
Sarmatian Republic.

A small man, with dark hair and wild eyes. Well, eye. He wears an eye patch over his right eye. Anyone who has seen him without the eye patch might notice that the space where his eye should be is an impenetrable shadow...

He is a fidgety man, often seen to twist and twirl items in his hands as he thinks.

Freedom. For everyone.

Matas obsessively plans ahead. Unfortunately, he also thinks he is two steps ahead of everyone.

6. What are you Hero's most and least favorite things?
Matas enjoys a fine wine and a game of strategy. He despises games of chance and tyrants.

Matas is paranoid. But is is really paranoia if there is a supernatural creature plotting to trick you into damnation?

The slip of the tongue that will cost him more than his eye...

9. What are you Hero's highest ambitions? His greatest love?

The Sarmation Republic is the first nation to step into the future. He must help all the others follow that example.

No.

13. Is your Hero in love?
No.

15. How would your Hero's parents describe her?
"Our little Matas could never leave well enough alone..."

No. Matas comes from simple folk...

17. How religious is your Hero? What sect of the Church does he follow?
It's hard to call someone "religious" when they actually, genuinely strike deals with real supernatural entities...

18. Is your Hero a member of a guild, gentle's club, or secret society?
The Rilasciare

A means to an end.

"You are not as smart as you think you are. Remember the deal you struck that cost you your eye. That should have taught you some humility..."

pre:
Name: Matas
Nation: Sarmatia
Virtue: Astute - Activate after a Villain spends Raises. Action fails and raises are lost.
Hubris: Ambitious - HP when chase power and it is dangerous or causes trouble

Quirks:
-HP when you take a great risk to uncover a secret
-HP when you use something evil for good

Traits:

Brawn    2
Finesse  3
Resolve  2
Wits     3
Panache  3

Skills:
Aim		
Athletics	2
Convice		1
Empathy		1
Hide		3
Notice		3
Perform		1
Scholarship	1
Tempt		1
Theft		2
Warfare		2
Weaponry	3

Advantages:
Sorcery (Darkness Deal - Teleport between shadows/Wrap in Shadows to remain undetected)
Sorcery (Storm Deal - Powerful updraft to leap great hights, cushion falls/Lightning bolt knocks back 10 feet, 3 wounds, stunned 1 Action)
Linguist - Speak, Read, Write All Languages
Opportunist - When a Hero creates an Opportunity, spend HP to immediately activate the Opportunity
Poison Immunity - Immune to Poison
Duelist Academy (Boucher) - 

Backgrounds:
-Spy
-Zynys

Stories:
Title - A Dark Deal - Matas must prove himself to the Rilasciare...
Reward:  Advantage - Foul Weather Jack (3 Steps)
Step 1: Pick up the trail of The Ugly Rose 
Step 2: Steal The Letter Being Carried By Captain Blain of the Ugly Ros.
Step 3: Deliver the letter to the Rilasciare agent. 

Languages:
-All of 'em.

Secret Society:
-The Rilasciare

Wealth: 0

Manifest Dynasty fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 1, 2016

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
In like sin. I love this system,and its setting.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Lenore Kenefick

pre:
Nation: Avalon
Virtue: Glorious - Activate when centre of attention. For the next Risk, every die counts as a raise. 
Hubris: Star Crossed - Gain HP when crushing on someone I really shouldn't

Traits:
	Brawn    2
	Finesse  3	
	Resolve  2
	Wits     3
	Panache  3

Skills: 
	Brawl
	Intimidate
	Ride 2
	Warfare
	Weaponry 3
	Empathy
	Perform 2
	Tempt 3
	Convince 3
	Hide
	Scholarship 2

Advantages:
	Sorcery - Eadburg the Wealthy, Mad Luck, Summon Sidhe, Heroic
	Sorcery - Legend, Summon Sidhe, Arrow Catch
	Direction Sense - Never lost as long as there is some point of reference
	An Honest Misunderstanding - Spend HP to retcon what was said to something unambiguously friendly
	Friends at Court - Spend HP to run into friend at high society event
	Barterer - Spend HP to make someone cut me a deal
	Disarming Smile - Spend HP to keep another character from starting a fight or drawing a weapon unless in self-defence. 
	Valiant Spirit - Start each game (session?) with an extra HP

Glamour - Eadburg the Wealthy
	Major  Panache
	Minor Wits
	Major glamours 
		Mad Luck - Roll [ranks] dice and distribute them to allies to keep for all risks for the rest of the scene
		Legend - Add ranks in this glamour to major trait.
	Minor glamours 
		Summon Sidhe 2 - Summons a sidhe, GM can spend Danger Point to make it unseelie.
		Arrow Catch - Catch an arrow or other non-bullet projectile, and take [ranks] fewer wounds.
		Heroic - Activate after a Risk using Wits, to reroll [ranks] dice. Must keep second result. 

Backgrounds:
	Knight Errant - Earn a Hero Point when upholding a Gesa I'm not a part of
	Courtier - Earn a Hero Point when turning the tide of violence with charm and flair

Stories: Exile by a kinder name
	Ending: Someone with significant influence in Avalon needs a favour, and in exchange arranges for Lenore's return home. 
	Reward: TBD
	First Step: Make a powerful acquaintance.

Avalon.

See picture.

Wine.

Getting back home at least somewhat honourably.

Strength: Actually literally magic. 
	Weakness: Thinks that solves any and all problems, no sense of what to stay out of. 

6. What are your Hero's most favourite things? Least favourite?
	Interesting, fun new things. People who tell her to stay away from said things. 

Curiosity overrides most things, and what that doesn't, a fascination with the Sidhe generally does. What the gently caress is caution?

Boredom

Novelty, hedonism, Sidhe, poetry.

Avalon good, yes. Would much like to go back.

No. Everyone knows the Montaigne smell as bad as they look good, and that Vodacce are not to be trusted. 

The Crown, and myself.

Hopeless Sidhe-chaser, because that's a smart thing to do that wont cause trouble. 

Landed gentry, prosperous but not particularly influential.

She's a good girl, shame about the sorcery and odd fixation.

In public, at least.

Yes, publicly but mostly nominally. Mainstream Avalonian church. 

No

Why of course!

Watch where you stick your nose.

Waci fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 26, 2016

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Also in.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Think I'm gonna go with a "Deal with a demon" dude... So I guess get ready to take over my character when he inevitably get corrupted.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
Might make a dude just to get a grasp of how this works.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"Ooohyohyo! Avast, copain-copain! Do you realize why they call me 'Oh No' Angela? It's because that's what you say when you see my ship on the horizon! There's hardly a sailor alive who doesn't know of Angela Chevalier, the captain of the Papillon and the successor of the dread pirate Pierre Dupont! Of course, I don't consider myself her true captain yet. As long as Dupont's final treasure is a mystery to me, I'm still a first mate. I've sailed all over Theah, searching for a way to decipher the map he left me as one last test, with a bit of le piratage along the way. And now I have been called to the nation that birthed me by the Vicomte, for whatever reason I don't know. Perhaps he has use of my ship. Well, as long as he pays generously, it is no concern of mine!"

quote:

Name: "Oh No" Angela Chevalier
Nation: Montaigne
Virtue: Glorious - Activate your Virtue when you are the center of attention. For the next Risk, when you determine Raises, every die counts as a Raise.
Hubris: Proud - You receive a Hero Point when your Hero refuses an offer of aid—for example, if a Hero tries to spend a Hero Point to give you Bonus Dice and you turn them down.

Traits:

Brawn 2
Finesse 3
Resolve 2
Wits 3
Panache 3

Skills:

Aim 2
Athletics 2
Empathy 1
Intimidate 2
Notice 2
Perform 3
Sailing 3
Theft 2
Weaponry 3

Advantages:

Able Drinker
Deadeye
Duelist Academy
Indomitable Will
Married to the Sea
Sea Legs
Time Sense

Backgrounds:

Duelist
Pirate

Quirks:

Earn a Hero Point when you make a personal sacrifice to ensure the freedom of another.
Earn a Hero Point when you resort to the edge of your blade to defend a noble ideal.

Dueling Style:

Boucher

When wielding a dagger or knife in one hand with nothing in the other—or a dagger or knife in each hand— you gain an ability called Boucher Step. Boucher Step allows you to perform two Maneuvers back to back, spending Raises as normal for each of them before your opponent can react. All other rules for Maneuvers still apply—you cannot perform the same Maneuver twice in a row, for example. You can only use Boucher Step once per Round.

Languages:

Old Theah
Montaigne
Avalon

Story:

A Pirate's Legacy
Ending: Find the treasure that her former captain left behind.
Reward: Signature Item: Dupont's Staff
First Step: Decipher the map Captain Dupont left her.

quote:

Montaigne

An elegant woman whose almost noble appearance and eyepatch give her an imposing presence befitting a pirate captain/

A love of alcohol and a distinctive laugh.

Why, money, of course! Money and her own pride as a pirate.

Strength: An excellent leader and strategist
Weakness: An overly strong sense of pride

Most: Fine booze, fine treasure, the open seas, beautiful men and women
Least: The authorities, insubordination, betrayal

Cheerful, cocky, but ruthless to her enemies

Being forgotten

To become the most respected and feared scoundrel on the seas. Her greatest love is the life of a sailor.

The people of Montaigne are much too full of themselves. History means nothing if it doesn't directly involve her.

Of course not. The money of all nations is good to a swashbuckler.

A pirate's loyalty lies only with her crew and her captain. Even though Dupont is dead, she still considers herself his first mate.

She has taken many lovers, but her heart belongs to the sea

The daughter of a sailor and a tailor, luxury was not something the young Angela knew often

15. How would your Hero's parents describe her?

They care for her, but have long since publicly disowned her. In childhood, they would say she was a girl with ambition beyond her station.

Aha, but of course. One does not command respect without being respectable.

Criminals like us are forsaken by God, so why prostrate ourselves?

Not a one.

She doesn't practice it herself, but she wouldn't kick a practitioner off her ship if they were useful.

Don't bite off more than you can chew.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 28, 2016

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Going to build a character for this. I adore 7th Sea, was going to wait until my hardcopy showed up.

Going to be an Inish pugilist out to make a name for himself as the toughest sonofabitch ever to throw a punch. :)

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 27, 2016

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Eldgrim Hrandsen

There was nothing that said the son of a Carl must be a Carl. However it was tradition, and tradition can still be a powerful force in Vestenmennavenjar. Eldgrim, son of Hrand the gunsmith, should have followed in his father's footsteps. That is what was right, and what his older siblings did. But Eldgrim took after his mother, and it became clear that his wyrd was far more warlike. He took easily to the axe and rigging lines and eventually gave up his apprenticeship and joined a Vesten Raider crew. The old ways ran thick in his blood and he distinguished himself as a warrior. The senseless slaughter of the unwary merchants filled him with grief and an anger that was hard to articulate. Where was the glory in slaying unarmed traders?

Such an attitude did not endear him to his fellow raiders. One day, tired of the young warriors glowering rage and stubborn refusal to simply fall in line, the raiders of his ship simply threw him overboard. He shouted curses and obscenities once he swam to shore but there was no satisfaction to his wounded pride. However his ancestors had been watching, and they favored him with a great blessing - an old Bearsark had watched the exchange and came to great the young warrior. Sigird Bragisen approved of Eldgrim's refusal to back down from what he believed was right, even in the face of some of the most dangerous men on the seven seas. Sigird passed on the ancient way of fighting, which the foreigners call Leegstra. This was a harsh apprenticeship, but finally Eldgrim felt he was on track to fulfill his wyrd. Years passed.

One day, Eldgrim managed to catch the old Bearsark in a trap during their sparing. A relentless series of blows, a masterful parry and an offense that the elder warrior could not find room to breath in. The next morning Sigird had packed up Eldgrim's belongings. There was nothing more to learn.

When the son of Hrand arrived at his family's estate, garbed in the primitive furs of a wild man there were few who recognized him. A few servants knelt fearfully at his passing, thinking that he was a manifestation of a long-dead ancestor come to bring either judgement or blessings. The reality was far simpler though - he came to show what he had accomplished. Although country trained, a rune of proof from Sigird showed that he had earned his way into the Duelist's Guild. He had turned away from the way of senseless violence and become a great warrior. But it didn't seem to be enough. His siblings had all become successful members of the family trade or merchants in their own right. They had added to the family fortune and to the family reputation, while he had abandoned them.

So Eldgrim Hrandsen left once again, to join the navy. His mother Bera was at the pier to see him off. She had been a warrior herself, and understood better than the rest of the family the glory-lust that drove the son of a carl to become a soldier. With her she carried two gifts - a pair of axe-pistols bearing the family mark.

"Your family loves you. We understand that you are trying to find your wyrdpath, and that you will do right by us. Go forth and find your destiny..."

--------------

All ancient history now. Eldgrim "Onaka" Hrandsen was in his mid-thirties and a captain of his own ship, the Vendel League Vessel Vasa. He has always split his pay into three sections - one third to his family, one third to provide for himself and one third to the purchase of an independent commission and ownership of his ship. That dream has been realized, in no small part due to his first officer, the castaway Gudrun. They had picked him up five years ago after a mighty gale had scattered the whole merchant flotilla. Originally Eldgrim had thought he was a sailor from one of the merchant ships, but he could remember nothing and no records of him existed anywhere. With no other place to turn, the lost man adopted the name "Gudrun" and joined the crew. It became obvious that he had great talent for seamonship and logistics - soon he was the first mate, and not a man in the crew complained that he hadn't earned with his eagle-sharp eyes that can spot a squall or pirate ship as sure as another man might spot a lighthouse. Together Eldgrim and Gudrun had fought off many a pirate raid on the merchant fleets of the League, and captured no small amount of pirate gold as well. Now those duties are over though - no one else setting the schedules, no commodores organizing escort flotillas. Now they are free to choose their own destiny. The crew haves stayed along, mostly but there is still a crucible ahead to test their leadership as independent traders.

Then one day at port, a message arrived for Gudrun. A noble from Montaign was summoning him for some gods-only-knows reason. The next day, Gudrun announced that he was leaving to answer the summons.

"So you want to travel to a land you have barely set foot upon, to answer the calls of a noble you've never met on the hope that he has information about your past that may not even exist?"

An awkward silence fills the air for a moment.

"Ahaha! Great! I'm coming with you of course. This sounds like the perfect start to our own grand saga. You have saved the lives of everyone on this ship at least once, if not more! We are family here, and family looks after one another. I've seen this eat away at you for all these years, my only surprise is you never asked to go on this fool's adventure sooner. Who knows! Maybe I'll find riches and glory for myself as well. Besides if nothing else comes of it, we'll take his hospitality and drink all his expensive wine so he'll have to hire us to go get more! Profit and glory, there for the taking. We'll set sail immediately..."

pre:
Name: Eldgrim "Onaka" Hrandsen 
Nation: Vestenmennavenjar
Virtue: Willful
Hubris: Proud
Hero Points: 2

Traits:
Brawn    3
Finesse  2
Resolve  2
Wits     3
Panache  3

Skills: 

Athletics 3
Brawl 1
Empathy 3
Intimidate 2
Notice 1
Perform 3
Sailing 3
Scholarship 1
Weaponry 3

Advantages:

- Able Drinker
- Duelist Academy (Leegstra)
- I'm Taking You With Me!
- Married to the Sea
- Staredown
- Valiant Spirit

Backgrounds:

- Duelist
- SJØRØVER (PIRATE)

Notable Equipment:
x2 Vendel League Navy-Style Axe-Pistols

Stories:
- Earn the respect of the crew as an independent captain apart from the Vesten Navy
  -1. Find a job or opportunity that will benefit the whole crew or otherwise prove myself. 
    -The crew finally trust and will follow me to the ends of the seven seas. 
    -Reward: Leadership Advantage (2 points)

Ship: VLV Vasa
Eisen Brig
-Pirate Hunter

Vesten

A broad shouldered, barrel-chested man with a long, intricately braided beard and high quality clothing made in the old style. 

He speaks loudly and tends to use laughter as emphasis while talking. 

To become immortal: A man of such wealth, glory and prestige that his name will never be forgotten. 

Strength: He never despairs, no matter how great the odds are stacked against him or how fearsome of an opponent he faces. 
Weakness: He does not 

The Perfect Night: Strong mead, a stronger woman, a warm fire and pile of guilders big enough to make a bed out of. 

Hates: Slavers, overlords and others who gain wealth through holding others in bondage. 
Cowards, especially those who stir up trouble then flee from it. 

A deeply hidden insecurity driving him to be ever bolder to try and secure a legacy. 

To suffer some extreme, reputation shattering humilation. 
Dying alone and uncelebrated, with no one to remember or carry his name. 
In particular, drowning.

To etch his name into the very countryside, a land to call his own by conquest or capitalism. A land to establish a new dynasty...
Right now his greatest love is his newfound freedom from his service to the Vesten Navy. 

We have the blessings of the Allfather, and our cities are built upon mountains of gold. Truly, our gods and ancestors have favored us. 

gently caress Vodacce. 

First with his family. Second with the League. Third with the one with the most guilders. 
-His crew is his family 

He is interested in finding someone to start a family with, but doesn't feel worthy of it yet.

His father is a Carl, who wanted his son to follow in the family craft. However Eldgrim was too wild and instead his wyrd seems to be
that of the Jarls. Eldgrim imagines lingering dissapoinment from this, and so seeks to acheive glory in the best way he knows how
(and if he can become a merchant in the meanwhile, all the better). He is most like his mother, but there has always been rivalry
between him and his siblings.

"There is no braver man in Vesten, but he needs to stop taking so many dubious risks."

Ahahahaha

The Allfather and my ancestors are whom I worship, and I have no need of any "prophets" to lecture me when my eyes can plainly see the truth.

Former member of the Vesten Navy acting as a merchant guard. Recently paid out his commission and acquired independent use of his ship. 

Potentially a great force for good, but so easily abused and twisted into a tool of death and destruction.

"Living is more glorious than dying. If you're strong enough to live, then no death will be inglorious."

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 27, 2016

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Zsófia Ezses had read every book in her well-stocked family library, always an oddity to see in a farmhouse. After her mother had travelled off to Montaigne, it was her older brother Ákos that usually forced her to her feet and outside. It wasn't pleasant, but it was life. Mother had been a scholar, recording folk customs across Theah, and had travelled away after a sudden message. She had gone to deliver perhaps a decade of work to a patron... and never returned. Years passed, and her father took up drink to fill the hole in his heart, and it was Zsófia's sadness and curiosity that got her to steal his journal.

The journal had a different story. Mother was an explorer seeing the power of ancients and stranger things. She had been sent to uncover the secrets of the Žynys, but instead fell in love with one, coming to the conclusion that such knowledge wasn't to be shared. Or... had she? Maybe she had betrayed father and simply returned back to her patron with her findings. Maybe the noble had her imprisoned. Or maybe some beast or bandit had brought her down on some forgotten road. Father's increasing collection of bottles was testament to his own worries, but Zsófia's concerns were no less poisonous. One night, she came across her father arguing with himself, or a... well, she knew by now what she was arguing with. And so she shouted at the air to leave her father alone, that she would do anything, anything if it would...

That is how Zsófia became a Žynys herself, how the dievas that haunted her turned to her, seeing a fool to seize. Her father had denied its offers for so long, denied its promises to find his wife, to return her, to punish her, whatever he wanted. Drink at least blurred its words for a time. And that is why Zsófia ran away, while her father lost the night to the haze of drink. It is why she hopped aboard a cart for the nearest city, why she became a thief to survive and a scholar to live, staying one step ahead of the guard until she found herself in an Explorer's Society waystation in Castille, and now...

... she finds herself on the road to one of the Society's patrons on their behalf, a Vicomte Absolon d'Marchand de Paix, who might finally have the answers of where her mother vanished off to. And if he doesn't, maybe she can steal them instead. She isn't particular. She's just curious, bold, and more than willing to break the rules to get what she seeks. Well. Not every rule. Her dievas thought it would be simple enough to offer the truth up, that she would be an easy mark, but she learned from her first mistake quickly. To its frustration, she's never lost hope at finding the truth with her own hands, but... it's never lost hope that she, too, will find despair like her father did, and when she does, it will have the answers to crush her with.

pre:
Zsófia Ezses, Treasure Hunter

Nation: Samaritan Commonwealth	Secret Society: Explorers' Society	Backgrounds: Explorer, Žynys
Arcana: The Fool		Virtue: Wily				Hubris: Curious
Favor: 2			Wealth: 0				Corruption: 0

Brawn 2		Finesse 3		Resolve 2		Wits 3		Panache 3

Background	Quirk

Explorer	*	Earn a Hero Point when you set your eyes upon a sight few, if any, Théans have
			ever seen before.
Žynys		*	Earn a Hero Point when you use something evil for good.

Skill		Rank		Advantages

Athletics	3		Foul Weather Jack
Convince	3		Linguist
Empathy		1		Quick Reflexes (Athletics)
Hide		1		Second Story Work
Notice		2		Sorcery (Sanderis x 2)
Perform		1		Valiant Spirit
Ride		1
Sailing		1
Scholarship	3
Theft		2
Weaponry	2

Deal		Minor Favor

Fire		*	Create a controlled and contained fire, the size of a bonfire or smaller.
		*	Set another creature’s clothes aflame, inflicting 2 Wounds each time they take 
			an Action this Round. The creature can take an Action to put the flames out, 
			ending the effect.
Knowledge	*	Find the precise location of any object you wish, with exact accuracy both as 
			to the object’s location and the object itself.
		*	Uncover some scrap of knowledge, even if it is otherwise lost—anything from an
			ancient alchemical formula to a map that would guide you to a hidden nautical 
			retreat.

Story			Steps	Reward		Details

Discovering the Link	3	Signature Item	*	Find a fresh ruin to search for clues.
Search for the Truth	5	Trait Increase	*	Find out from Absolon what his father 
							really employed my mother for.
1. What Nation is your Hero from?

The Sarmatian Commonwealth, specifically Curonia.

Zsófia eschews feminine clothing for practical wear, being the definition of a tomboy. She has a mix of Samaritan and Avalonian features owing to a mixed heritage, and generally has an intense demeanor, with a determined curiosity and stubborness that makes her hard to put off.

She has a tendency to correct others, whether or not it's polite or sensible to do so. Speaking of rudeness, she often picks things up - even if they don't belong with her, and peers or fiddles with them. Most of the time they go right back where she found them, mind.

Zsófia is seeking the truth behind her mother, but is also curious about her work to try and unify and explanation behind the sidhe, dievas, and syrneth. The dievas is just after her shoulder, of course, but she can't just needle such a big without a very, very high price.

5. What is your Hero's greatest strength? Her greatest weakness?

Like the metaphorical cat, Zsófia's curiosity often puts her in dangerous situations and make enemies. She can be painfully presumptious and selfish when it comes to her goal, a thief and a thug, particularly when it comes to poor folks that might work under a noble. But at the same time, she has a soft spot for those down on their luck, who tries not trouble anyone that doesn't ask for it.

6. What are your Hero's most and least favorite things?

Zsófia appreciates finely constructed things; watches, churches, demonstrations of effort and forethought. That being said, she doesn't have a lot of patience of the impractical; that's not to say her soul can't be moved by art, but anything that seems more fancy than thoughtful is likely to just get a sneer from her.

7. What about your Hero’s psychology?

Forward-looking perhaps to a fault, Zsófia tends to set her mind on a goal and seek it single-mindedly. Anything else done in the meantime is usually in service to that, though her curiosity is the chief exception. If there's a mystery, she has a tendency to poke her nose in even if there's nothing to be gained or no particular cause for her to.

Though she might seem fearless at times, it's really more determination. She often curses herself for her actions and knows she's not the sort to face down a cadre of armored guards single-handed. While she's self-depricating, it's always almost after the fact, cursing herself at a look down from the top of a tower.

8. What is your Hero’s single greatest fear?

Ignorance, really, death without answers or revelations, being revealed as foolish or naive. Her pride is in her ability as a scholar and Žynys, and she worries that she'll be revealed as a young woman who was incapable of reaching for the heights she places herself at - whether or not that's true.

9. What are your Hero’s highest ambitions? Her greatest love?

Ultimately, Zsófia wants to peel away the curtain of history and be remembered for her discoveries, to leave a mark in the future in what they known of the past. She loves travelling, whether it's sailing or riding, seeing new places, and the thought that she might be the first to uncover a vista or ruin. Foreign lands ignite her curiosity, and even something simple as a new dish to try or a city in the distance drives her onward.

10. What is your Hero’s opinion of his country?

Nostalgia, mostly. Zsófia has no deep need to return, but the people's government of her land is something she sees as progressive, and never thought much of nobility in the first place. Mostly, she has a soft spot before it, but tends not to carry her nation where she wanders.

Though it's not severe, she has a tendency to dismiss nobility and wealth. That's not to say it can't be useful when she's seeking a patron or mark, but tends to see those in mansions and courts as meddlesome and useless at best and tyrannical and monstrous at worst. It doesn't occupy her mind like it might like an Uppman, but she has a tendency to see foppery and nonsense where others might see style and grandeur.

First to the memory of her mother, secondly to the Explorer's Society for their aid, and lastly to general decency. She might betray the Explorer's Society for the final answers regarding her family, and she might be a bit of a jerk to the everyday person if it'd help the Society, but overall she tries to balance it all as best she can.

13. Is your Hero in love? Is she married or betrothed?

Distant crushes, mainly. There's Miguel who runs the Society house in Las Pasiegas, Captain Magnus whose ship took her from Orduno to San Felipe, that bartender in Freiberg... but she's focused and tries to put those thoughts from her mind. What would she do? Settle down? Be a wife? She's a bit young for that sort of thing and those sort of men, right? There's nothing more ridiculous.

14. What about your Hero’s family?

Maeve, her mother, was a traveling scholar recording the folklore of different nations, bankrolled by a distant Montaignan noble enamored with preserving the "common ways for future generations". Her father, Kolos, was a Žynys who used his tricks to help the local people against a local lord that was distant of heart to his people. At first her mother had sought to try and uncover more of the secrets of the Žynys, but as she wheedled more out of him, the more she realized that it was one bit of folklore that could stand to remain secret. Or so it seems.

Along they way, they fell in love, but the noble's anger put them on the road for a time, settling down elsewhere in the Commonwealth long enough to have two children, Zsófia and Ákos. Mother eventually travelled on to carry her findings back to Avalon, but never returned, and father's mood fell. He gave up using his gifts, and became a farmer, albeit one of far blacker moods than most, and with Ákos set to inherit what he built.

15. How would your Hero’s parents describe her?

Kolos: "She shouldn't have taken my path, or left the farm. I worry about her every day, not because of the trouble she might fall into out in the world, but the trouble with bearing a dievas. It's nothing I can save her from or help her with. All I can do is stare at the bottom of a bottle and hope she's as wise as I tried to make her."

Maeve: "Irresponsible, caring, brash, insighful, insulting, respectful... for every complaint a praise, but aren't all children that way? Too much like her parents, neither enough of us able to impart much sense to to her, not like Ákos. Maybe her older brother will keep her in line, but I suspect not. They're always at war within the home, and sometimes I think the only way we'll have peace is when one finally goes."

Ha! No.

The bargain occupies much of her spiritual thought, and she sees herself largely beyond the reach of Creator, largely for ill. Unusually for a Sarmatian, she is nominally Objectionist, largely due to her mother's influence, though she generally respects the church and its teachings as a haven for morality and learning... though in modern Theah, there are exceptions where neither holds true. But personally, she feels that salvation, if there is any, is most likely denied her.

18. Is your Hero a member of a guild, gentle’s club, or secret society?

Zsófia joined the Explorer's Guild when trying to rob one of their station houses in Las Pasiegas. Though caught, the local head, Miguel, was impressed with her ability to find lost objects. His charm didn't hurt in her agreeing to join, but since then she's come to admit their aid is invaluable in her quest, and owes them enough to return the favor regularly.

"Sorcery is a terrible thing with a terrible price. It is also very, very useful. Still, you should never use it, and certainly not like I do!"

Slow down, don't rush into things carelessly. Answers are found in time, and trying to force things all the time just keeps getting you into trouble. The more you dash about, the more likely you are to miss what you're looking for... and the more opportunities you give to the devil on your shoulder.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Dawid

So, you want to know my story? Why? How does it benefit you? But fine, if it amuses you. At least someone can laugh at my misfortune. I'm Sarmatian. No doubt you've heard of the place. Yes, yes, the Golden Liberty, everyone has heard of it. It's made us a laughing stock around Theah. Peasants, governing. How foolish! How wonderful! Everyone has an opinion.

I don't have to tell you how unpopular it was. You know the story after that, of course. How a cabal of nobles planned an assassination attempt against King Stanislas, and how it would have succeeded except for his son's wife, a powerful fate witch, risking her life to save his. And you know the aftermath; how the plotters were hunted down and hanged, or at least those that could be saved from the angry mobs that wanted to tear them apart; how their property was seized, and their families exiled, forced out of Sarmatia, never to return.

Ah, you recognize me now. Yes, the "traitor's son". I've been called worse before, so call me what you will Nothing you can say to me; no insults you can give me, can compare to seeing my parents bodies hanging there, not knowing if I would join them on the gallows, or my last view of the capital being that of their heads on pikes on the gate as I and my pregnant wife were led to the border with nothing but the clothes on our backs, or of seeing my wife give birth in a shack, and both mother and daughter dying.. But I swear to you; they were innocent. Yes, my father hated the Golden Liberty. So? Many nobles did. In their hearts, many nobles still do, I have no doubt. But my father was an honest man, and my mother an honest woman, neither of whom would connive to murder, especially their king. They were innocent, which means they were framed. And one day, I'll prove it, and see those truly responsible punished, while I'll be free to go home.

Until then, I wander the roads with a hulk of an Ussuran who thinks that I'm half demon myself for my devotion to the Old Ways and the traditions of my family that date back centuries, and spend my days haggling, both with Dievai who hope to take my soul, clients, who want to take my freedom, and merchants, who want to take my money, all the while, keeping Viktor out of the trouble he always gets himself into.

Name: Dawid Swardowski
Nation: Sarmatia

Traits:

Brawn 2
Finesse 3
Resolve 2
Wits 3
Panache 3

Skills:

Athletics 2
Convince 3
Perform 2
Scholarship 3
Weaponry 3
Empathy 1
Intimidate 1
Tempt 1
Ride 2
Aim 1

Advantages:

Sorcery- Sanderis
Sorcery- Sanderis
Linguist
Duelist Academy-Sabat
Together We Are Strong
Leadership
Survivalist

Backgrounds:

Zynis-Earn a Hero Point when you use something evil for good.
Duelist-Earn a Hero Point when you resort to the edge of your blade to defend a noble ideal

Deals

Knowlege:

Minor Favors:

Answer a single, factual question with a yes or no.
Uncover some scrap of knowledge, even if it is otherwise lost

Darkness

Minor Favors:
Open a shadowy portal to instantly travel a short distance to another shadow in sight.
Wrap shadows around yourself to become impossible to detect

Arcana: The War

Story:

Redemption: My family was framed and innocent of the plot against the King. I will clear their name. (Five Steps)

Ending: Dawid finds and gets revenge on the people who framed his family and reveals the truth of the plot.

Reward: Friend at Court advantage.

First Step: Find a Sarmatian exile in Montaigne who helped finance the assassination attempt against Stanislas.

1. What country is your Hero from? Dawid is from the Sarmatian Commonwealth, of course.

Not overly tall, thin, with a pockmarked face. Not overly handsome, honestly.

He rubs his hands together when nervous or excited, and when starting a trip, leads off with his right foot.

To clear his family name and go back home

His greatest strength is his sense of purpose. When he gives his word, he keeps it. His greatest weakness is his impulsiveness. He sometimes jumps into things without considering them well enough.

He's lonely, and afraid of being lonely, but more afraid of making and losing relationships. The world has not been kind to him lately, and it's embittered him, turned him conservative.

Failing, and letting those he loves down.

He wants to clear the name of Swardowski. He also wants to marry again, and help rebuild the family, but the situation now makes it impossible, of course.

His country, how he loves and misses it so, and how falsely served are you by your masters!

He hates liars and plotters, and doesn't trust the Sejm or politicians.

With Sarmatia, or at least his memories of it. With his family, what's left of it.

He was.

They were nobles, near the border with Cumoria. They weren't great magnates or anything. It was more a matter of having a few peasants to till the land and a horse to go to war with, but it was old, and distinguished, with a tradition of military service, with a long roster of those who died in the wars, first with Cumoria before the unification, and after with Eisen, Vodacce, and Ussura. All that's gone now. The family's gone, dead as traitors or in exile, the land seized.

Now, they wouldn't. Before, though, I'm sure they would have said he was a good boy.

Aren't all Samartians gentlefolk now? Isn't that what the traitor king decreed? But no, he folllows the true Samartian legacy

He is Vaticine, of course, but he knows, as all Samartians do, that more things exist than the Church will admit to. The Dievai are real, and they are dangerous, but they can be dealt with, bargained with, and even, to an extent,controlled.

Not as of yet, at least., other than the Duelist's Guild. He is trained in the use of the saber. He is, of course, also a member of the Ratas

Terrible thing, sorcery, and a wise man has nothing to do with it. The same is not true, of course, of soothsaying and of losejas. These can be dangerous, and one must be careful of them, but if one is clever and one is careful, then one can bargain.

Realize that now is not forever, and that happiness can come in spite of tragedy, and that you will be happy again.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 7, 2016

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Edited my post to update my fluff, since professor_curly and I are doing joint apps, with him playing the captain that found me out at sea.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Wow, there's a lot more interest for this game than I expected. I'm not making picks just yet, but I thought I'd go over the submissions so far and summarise. I plan on making picks no later than next weekend, although it'll probably be much sooner if everyone's sheets are done.

Vicissitude - Maria Alceda de la Cruz, Castillian Diestro Done
Dachshundofdoom - Alexei Zolotariov, Ussuran Sorceror Done
Vulpes Vulpes - Anatolio, Vodacce Esploratore Done
Friar John - Henneke Maximilianus, Eisen Mercenary Done
Manifest Dynasty - Matas, Sarmatian Spy 20 questions not finished
Waci - Lenore Kenefick, Avalon Knight Errant Done
Waffleman_ - Angela Chevalier, Montaigne Pirate Done
professor_curly - Eldgrim Hrandsen, Vesten Pirate Done
Alien Rope Burn - Zsófia Ezses, Sarmatian Treasure Hunter Done
Epicurius - Dawid Swardowski, Sarmatian Duelist No story, no 20 questions or background

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

MaliciousOnion posted:

More like Vesten First Mate/Quartermaster. Unless the question mark is more my background is a mystery.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Yeah, it's because of the amnesia. The descriptions are very broad strokes, for my own benefit more than anything.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot

Eir Starkardottir

"Hither bring my martial doublet, Bring me now the sword of battle, Bring my father's sword of honor;
I must go to Southland, To the battle-fields of Essen, There to win me gold and silver."

This the anxious mother's answer:
"My beloved Eir, we have gold in great abundance, gold and silver in the store-room;
Recently upon the uplands, in the early hours of morning, toiled the workmen in the corn-fields,
Plowed the meadows filled with serpents, when the plowshare raised the cover from a chest of gold and silver,
Countless was the gold uncovered, hid beneath the grassy meadow; this the treasure I have brought thee, Take the countless gold in welcome."

Spake the maiden, Eir:
"Do not wish thy household silver, from the wars I'll earn my silver; gold and silver from the combat are to me of greater value than the wealth thou hast discovered.
Bring me now my heavy armor, bring me too my spear and broadsword; To the Southland I must hasten, To the bloody wars of Essen, Thither does my pride impel me, Thitherward my heart is turning.
~Edda of Eir

pre:

Nation: Vestenmennavenjar	Secret Society: Brotherhood of the Coast 		Backgrounds: Skald, Sjørøver
Arcana: The Tower		Virtue: Humble						Hubris: Arrogant
Reputation: Honorable		Languages: Old Théan, Vesten, Eisen			Religion: Allfather
Favor: 2			Wealth: 0						Corruption: 0

Brawn 4		Finesse 2		Resolve 2		Wits 3		Panache 2

Background	Quirk
Skald		Earn a Hero Point when you use your knowledge as a
		Seidr to help another Hero to solve a problem or thwart
		a Villain.

Sjørøver	Earn a Hero Point when put yourself in danger in order to
		ensure your place of honor at the Allfather’s table

Skill		Rank	Advantages
Athlethics	3	Seidr
Brawl		3	Sea Legs
Intimidate	3	I’m Taking You With Me
Notice		2	Staredown
Perform		3	Large 1pt
Sailing		3	Masterpiece Crafter 2pts
Weaponry	3	Direction Sense 1pts
			Time Sense 1pts

Story			Steps								Ending								Reward			
Prove Jarldom		Travel to known Vesten raiding locations			Present axe to Carls' and force them to repay their debts	Signature Item
			Establish the axe's rough location based on old raiding reports	Use the axe to rally bannermen and raid for profit.
			Find and recover the Skeggiold, the family heirloom axe.	Find the axe shattered broken, unusable.

1. What country is your hero from?
Eir heils from the northern country of Vestenmennavenjar, the only country in the world that still honours TRADITIONS.

2. How would you physically describe your hero?
Like most northern women Eir is taller and more muscular than your average european one and years of training and farmwork have sculpted her body as that of a warrior.

3. Does your hero have recurring mannerisms?
.. Bathes regularly, atleast weekly

4. What is your hero's main motivation?
To bring glory to her clan and to find a great warrior to father her offspring

Eir's greatest strength is being muscular, Greatest weakness is lack of what other countries call femininity.

6. What are your Hero's most and least favorite things?
Bathing and conversing with weak people

Eir is twice than many any girly Vodaccean male and will not suffer any downtalking from girly men.

Dishonour. And very large spiders.

9. What are you Hero's highest ambitions? Her greatest love?
Honour, also honor.

10. What is your Hero's opinion of her country?
Best goddamn country in the world and even if other countries died of plague Vesten would survive

Yes, many.

12. Where do your hero's loyalties lie?
Firstly to the clan.

13. Is your hero in love? Is he married or betrothed?
Love is irrelevant, only strong children that bring more honour to house are needed.

14. What about your hero's family?
Eir is oldest child of her family. She has 4 siblings.

15. How would your hero's parents describe her?
Trustworthy, Stoic, A proper Vesten woman

16. Is your hero a gentleman or gentlewoman?
Eir is a daughter of a minor Jarl

17. How religious is your Hero?
Eir is devout believer.

18. Is your hero a member of a guild, gentleman's club or secret society?
No

19. What does your hero think of sorcery?
Like most Vesten people Eir thinks Laerdom is the only true sorcery and anything else is dark and wrong.

20. If you could, what advice would you give to your hero?
Pillage, then burn

Sormus fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 6, 2016

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Should do a women characters only game, would be interesting. :getin:

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Viktor Kolosov

Viktor exhales as he wipes his brow with a rag, putting his hands on the small of his back as he stretches. He and the Sarmatian had been travelling together for some time, but it had been Vick who had been pulling most of the weight; he had the most money between them, but he still worked for his own room and board. He spent little on his own food, but for the poor and disheveled travelers he would throw his financial weight around to make sure they ate hearty and went to sleep with bellies full of hot food and delicious ale.

He hefts the plow once more, righting its course. The unlikely duo were headed to meet a rich man of some import; Dawid was a sorcerer, and had been one of the first people Viktor had encountered on his self-imposed exile from Ussura. He had been the one to bargain for the legend that drove Viktor towards the Vicomte, though it took much to convince the now superstitious ex-Cossack to trust the words of a wizard. Viktor pushed the plow, grinning as he did. His hands were chapped and blistered from dealing with the rough wood out in this weather, but he didn't care. It was part of the deal he had made with himself.

The next morning, Viktor left the work clothes he had purchased on his bed, with a note to return them to the seamstress with a small pouch of coins. He stood outside, waiting for Dawid, now wearing fine garments befitting of an Ussuran noble, but looking uncomfortable for it. He scratched at the silk, frowning as he did.

Soon he would earn that painting. Soon, he and Dawid would be put on the right path. And hopefully, soon Nikolai would forgive him.

Name: Viktor Kolosov
Nation: Ussura
Virtue: Passionate - Activate your Virtue when another Hero takes Wounds to prevent her from suffering those Wounds. You take one Dramatic Wound instead.
Hubris: Superstitious - You receive a Hero Point when you refuse to solve a problem using Sorcery, an artifact, or some other mystical effect that you don’t trust.
Hero Points: 1

Traits:
Brawn 3
Finesse 2
Resolve 3
Wits 3
Panache 2

Skills:
Brawl 3
Intimidate 3
Notice 3
Ride 1
Weaponry 3
Athletics 1
Empathy 3
Convince 3

Advantages:
Strength of Ten
Reckless Takedown
Legendary Trait - Resolve
Rich
Joie de Vivre

Backgrounds:
Cossack - Earn a Hero Point when you leave behind something important so you can travel light.
Mercenary - Earn a Hero Point when you choose to ply your trade for a reason that’s worth more to you than money.
Notable Equipment:

Stories:
Cursed: I have spilled the blood of my brother on Matushka's soil for the sake of wealth; for this, I can no longer enjoy the finer things in life. Gourmet food tastes like the thin gruel I grew up on, stout meads taste like stale water, and the finest silks feel like coarse wool.
Ending: I have paid my penance to Matushka, and the curse is lifted.
Reward: I won't die here advantage
First Step: The Vicomte's wealth is boundless, but his sight is short; I need an Ussuran painting he has purchased for the map that is concealed on the back.

Ussura.

I am a son of Ussura, and for it, I am built like a bear. My hair is salt and peppered, and I have a beard I keep trimmed. I lost one of my eyes to battle as a cossack of my nation, as well.

I roll my neck and crack my knuckles often, and when idle, my hands rest on my belt.

Redemption. I have wronged not just my family, but my whole country. Matushka has given me a curse to befit my sin, and I long to lift it.

My strength fits my size, but I do not trust magic. Funny that my best ally since I have exiled myself from Ussura is a sorcerer.

Before my curse, I lived for the tenderest venison and richest wines I could buy. Now, I suffer, and must deal with the magic i once openly mocked.

He is a man of guile and courage, who once was filled with mirth but has fallen to a more sombre tone since he has been cursed. He is wracked with guilt from his crime, and accepts his curse, and is driven to prove to the very spirit of his country that he is a true son. He will put himself in harm's way to protect the weaker and the innocent as penance.

Dying before he can redeem himself; he wants to be able to make his brother proud and be able to apologize to him before he is judged before god.

Before the curse, he only wished to amass wealth to strengthen his family's position amongst the nobility of Ussura; now, he simply wishes to be seen as a son of the wintery plains once again. He truly loves his country and his family, and was blinded to what it means to be an Ussuran by the wealth of foriegners.

Ussura is a beautiful but harsh land. It rewards those who live close to the land, and those who turn their backs to the spirit of the land will find themselves punished.

He dislikes sorcerers and wizards, and would rather use his own strength and skill to further himself. It was this prejudice, and his pride, that lead to his brother's death.

To Ussura, to his family, and to his quest.

He broke off his engagement once he realized what he had done to his brother.

Viktor's family does not understand why he did what he did, but they respect his quest to appease the spirit of his slain brother and Matushka herself; they hold no ill will towards him as Grandmother Winter has made him pay for his crime and he intends to set things right.

Misguided, but finding his path once again.

No.

He is not religious in the least, and held no respect for the ancient traditions of Ussura. Now he has a much higher respect.

No. He was once a cossack, but left the ranks to pursue wealth.

Trickery and a crutch for the weak; he respects the natural magic of the world now, but those who exploit it are not to be trusted.

You don't need to bear the weight of the world on your shoulders to set things right, man. Family forgives.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 6, 2016

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Klaus88 posted:

I'm an equal opportunity GM.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Klaus88 posted:

all women played by men, the greasiest of games

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
changing my portrait to some Slutty Viking halloween thing i found.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Sormus posted:

changing my portrait to some Slutty Viking halloween thing i found.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Sorry you can't start with legendary armour.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

:siren: The Usual Suspects :siren:

Werix - Gudrun
professor_curly - Eldgrim Hrandsen
Alien Rope Burn - Zsófia Ezses
Epicurius - Dawid Swardowski
Sormus - Eir Starkardottir
John Dyne - Viktor Kolosov

Game thread will be up in a bit. Don't do impressions of the other characters, because you don't know each other you idiots (unless you do).

For everyone who didn't get in, it's not you, it's me. I just think we want different things in this relationship. You're a wonderful person and I'm sure you'll find the right GM. Get out.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Not to hold things up, but can we go over how the Duelist maneuvers work in this context? Do they only work in a duel specifically, or can we use them here?

• Locked thread