Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I want Raonic to win a slam but if he's not going to win this one then I want it to be Federer so he can retire happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Stop loving up multiple break points repeatedly Milos, jfc. thanks.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Milos Raonic is insanely my poo poo

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Jose posted:

federer can gently caress off too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70utG1L5bfU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/anna_j82/status/749276138980143104

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jose posted:

federer can gently caress off too
Anyone but Federer. Even Murray is acceptable at this point.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

We haven't had a Wimbledon this exciting in years. :3:

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Ernie. posted:

We haven't had a Wimbledon this exciting in years. :3:

2013 was pretty crazy. Nadal out in the first round to Darcis (when him losing early in Slams was still shocking), Federer lost in the second round to Stakhovsky, Murray came back from 2 sets down to win against Verdasco in the quarter-finals, Djokovic and Del Potro had their epic semi-final and then of course Murray beating Djokovic in the final and becoming the first British male blahblahblah...

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

look guys if scotland leave britain these wimbledon titles wont even count anymore so lets just get on the Fed train

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Holy poo poo Tsonga managed to break Isner!

Now watch him get broken back....

e: He didn't!

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 3, 2016

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Kyrgios is cool and I look forward to him winning a slam at some point soon

Tsonga is also cool, gently caress Isner

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
What's the general consensus on Murray? On paper his Grand Slams (2) puts him closer to the likes of Del Porto and Warwinka than Djokovic and Federer. But he's clearly in the same tier as the Big Four. To me he's a 9 or a 10 that happened to play in the same era as three 11's. So his record is more like an 8.

I love the miserable Scottish bastard. So I'd like to see him getting another couple of Slams under his belt.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
He's very very good imo, just unlucky to be playing in both the Federer and Djokovic eras. Men's tennis has been insane.

I also think he's become a more entertaining player to watch as his career has developed. His shot variety is good and his lob is becoming a decent weapon.

Lendl coming back is great news.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

CityMidnightJunky posted:

What's the general consensus on Murray? On paper his Grand Slams (2) puts him closer to the likes of Del Porto and Warwinka than Djokovic and Federer. But he's clearly in the same tier as the Big Four. To me he's a 9 or a 10 that happened to play in the same era as three 11's. So his record is more like an 8.

I love the miserable Scottish bastard. So I'd like to see him getting another couple of Slams under his belt.

I think he'd have five or six slams if he was born fifteen years earlier. He's in the rather unfortunate situation of making 10 grand slam finals but they've all been against either Federer or Djokovic, who are two of the five greatest players ever.

A very, very good player but not quite an all-time great. For example I think he's easily as talented as Edberg or Wilander and they won 13 slams between them.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

tanglewood1420 posted:

I think he'd have five or six slams if he was born fifteen years earlier. He's in the rather unfortunate situation of making 10 grand slam finals but they've all been against either Federer or Djokovic, who are two of the five greatest players ever.

A very, very good player but not quite an all-time great. For example I think he's easily as talented as Edberg or Wilander and they won 13 slams between them.

This is how I feel. He's head and shoulders above the rest of the world, he's just unlucky to be playing at a time when there are/were three contenders for greatest ever. Born ten years earlier or later and he'd be close to double digit slams.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

tanglewood1420 posted:

Yeah, this sounds good to me. To throw another name out there: I believe he's better than Boris Becker ever was.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
He's a whiny oval office who usually plays boring tennis. I'm glad he hasn't won more.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jack's Flow posted:

Yeah, this sounds good to me. To throw another name out there: I believe he's better than Boris Becker ever was.

He's a fraud and none of these dope frauds could hold a candle to Boris Becker except Fed.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

he appeared on mock the week twice (in the crowd) so he's cool by me

also eats sushi

men's tennis in general has been too hard to figure out. Federer could have 20+ slams if Nadal hadn't been around. Nadal could have had every slam and everything else in the world if he didn't bridge fed-djok and djokovic is a doped up gluten coward. I realise that nadal is also doped up but i like to believe he does not fear gluten

If any of the top three had a decade without the other two interfering we'd talk about them as the best players not just in tennis, but in any sport.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
None of them would have anywhere near the number of slams they have if tennis were not ruined and the courts actually played differently.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Alain Post posted:

None of them would have anywhere near the number of slams they have if tennis were not ruined and the courts actually played differently.

yeah but that's a whole different kettle of sushi

we're cursed with the courts as they are no matter who's sliding from side to side on them for 5 sets without getting tired.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm watching 90s Masters Cup and Tour Championship matches and crying.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

when will the game get a true hero, the next coming of jim courier

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Who wins a grass match between Federer and Sampras in their primes

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Ross Angeles posted:

There are parts of Federer's game that have improved significantly since his prime that make this a tough question. His serving, netplay and choice of winners are all considerably better, but his agility and overall shot selection is worse now (part of this can be blamed on the overall direction tour-level players are taking with regards to timing offense - always a little too soon). And his backhand has always been average. Pete always had great shot selection (and acrobatics), but also favored a stronger game earlier in his career - which today even Roger would probably agree he needed more of. During their primes, Pete would have probably had a serve-holding advantage, but not by much, and not if Roger specifically had to train to play against him as opposed to the spin-heavy, persistent Nadal.

On a tangent, I've always thought Pete hid a less than stellar grasp of fundamentals behind world class serve volleying (especially on grass) and running forehands.

Ernie. fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 4, 2016

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Ross Angeles posted:

I'd take Federer, but it's close.

Forehand: Federer
Backhand: Sampras
Serve: Sampras
Return: Federer
Volleying/Netplay: Sampras
Court coverage: Federer
Tactics: Federer

The evolution of Federer's game is interesting. When he first went to No. 1 and had no peer he was very aggressive in his shotmaking and would look to dominate rallies as early as possible. Then as Nadal, Djokovic and Murray arrived who are all brilliant defensively and cover the court so well (plus a general increase in fitness standards across the tour) he started constructing longer points and not playing so aggressively and was more reactive, picking his spots more carefully. But now again in the last two years or so as his physical abilities have waned and he realises he can't keep up with the others for long matches anymore he has become hyper aggressive, even more than he was when he was younger. When it works you get amazing demolition tennis like the 2015 Wimbledon semi where he blew Murray away with near perfect play. When it doesn't work you get the 2015 Wimbledon final where he essentially beat himself and Djokovic didn't even play very well but won in 4 sets.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 4, 2016

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Federer just made Steve Johnson look like a much shittier player than he probably is. World number 29, yet I've seen much lower ranked players look much more threatening

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space
So, major upset: MORE RAIN.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Goffin clowning Raonic at the moment.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Nishikori got hurt again. Looks like him and Raonic will be out. Not optimal.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Nishikori got hurt again.

He injured himself in Halle and was never fit enough for Wimbledon. It was obvious in the first round when he needed the trainer out.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Goffin clowning Raonic at the moment.

Raonic turned it around to win from 2 sets down for the first time in his career, very impressive imo. Really stepped up his game.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Kyrigos just doing his usual total implosion the moment he comes up against the slightest bit of adversity.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

tanglewood1420 posted:

Kyrigos just doing his usual total implosion the moment he comes up against the slightest bit of adversity.
It's really annoying, he was pretty much matching Murray in the first set too.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

tanglewood1420 posted:

Yeah, that first set I couldn't see how Murray could break him. Kyrgio's serving was monstrous. Now...holy poo poo he's completely gone to pieces.

He's only 21 isn't he? I think in a few years after he's matured a bit it's only a matter of time before he wins one.

CityMidnightJunky fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 4, 2016

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I hope Kyrgios never sorts his head out because he's great entertainment like this. If he got a brain transplant with Djokovic or Murray his domination would be boring.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Kyrgios clearly doesn't give a poo poo despite his natural talent and tbh I'm glad.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Might as well start carving Serena's name onto the trophy. Lisicki was the last person who stood a chance to take her down and she went out in 3R.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
As much as I complain about the men's scene, my god is the WTA field a garbage fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Alain Post posted:

As much as I complain about the men's scene, my god is the WTA field a garbage fire
It's just painful to watch. You really have to talk yourself into some of the younger players because none of them look good for two majors in a row. 3 people have won majors the last few years and retired right after. Serena winning all the time is sad itself but I remember when she was hurt a lot and loving Wozniacki was the world #1 for 2 years in a row. Sharapova destroyed her shoulder and was still 2nd best woman in the world before her suspension. Venus Williams is now ranked 7th in the world. When was the last time she was any good at all? Must be half a decade at least.

• Locked thread