Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

:synpa:

I'm the Steve Blumbot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Yeah I played this game to completion and in my opinion it's just all right. I did like a few levels/boss fights a good deal. And hated some others. It does feel pretty rushed as well.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

I'm up for commenting if you end up with an unfilled slot and record on weekends. PM me with details if this ends up happening.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Zain posted:

Man! What kind of idiot would have possibly backed this kind of project... Me... I did

:cawg:

Aw, seriously, man, I feel for ya. Well, at least you got something out of it...?

I'm going into this blind too, but I can already bet the big problem top to bottom is that they tried too hard to be Megaman and not be Megaman at the same time. Seriously, Beck & Call instead of Rock & Roll? Dr. White? They could've at least made him Mighty # 10 and shaken up the number of robot masters mighty robots, especially if they're not bringing back the 3x3 grid!

Also, all the talk about the anime and the voice acting made me look up info about Megaman X (specifically, X4, heh). X4 is almost 20 years old and probably cost around $2M in current dollars to make (and that's dealing with console architecture; PC games average around $1M now). There's no excuse for the game to not look at least that cool graphically and have animated cutscenes if you're going to have a story in your silly robot game.

Wikipedia turned up this about Inafune, referring to producing MMX1:

quote:

Inafune created the character Zero, whom he originally intended to be the game's main, playable protagonist. "When the X series came out, I really wanted to redesign Mega Man," Inafune explained. "I wanted a totally different Mega Man. I’m a designer, a creator; I wanted something new. I didn’t want to use the same old Mega Man." Fearing a negative reaction from fans, Zero was ultimately reduced to a role secondary to Mega Man X.

"Those who refuse to learn from history," eh?

Anyway, Zain, I'm also willing to co-comment. Prefer #1 if the time works out for when you want to record it, but I'm not picky.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I watched Slowbeef play through (half of) the game yesterday, and the game honestly just seemed like it could benefit from being shorter - shorter levels, shorter boss fights, shorter cutscenes. For the most part it felt like a passable Mega Man retread, and there were a few ideas that actually seemed neat (chasing down Sniper Bot in the govt. building), but everything just dragged on to the point that it didn't look fun any more.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Seyser Koze posted:

I watched Slowbeef play through (half of) the game yesterday, and the game honestly just seemed like it could benefit from being shorter - shorter levels, shorter boss fights, shorter cutscenes. For the most part it felt like a passable Mega Man retread, and there were a few ideas that actually seemed neat (chasing down Sniper Bot in the govt. building), but everything just dragged on to the point that it didn't look fun any more.

Oh man! You should have seen the original demo then! I played through MN5's level and it's graciously shorter now. But you're not wrong. The levels are just too long. There's at least 3 check points in each level if not more so. Wait until we get into powers and how... Great? those are.

Also I should state that I get all the DLC for this game and forgot about the TOTALLY NOT ZERO bot you can be if you play through her level I guess? Either way, I could also do that after the main line game if people would be interested? Should probably have someone comment through that level too.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Ray is at least interesting to play as in the sense that you aren't playing as Beck. Beyond that, it's basically a "I hope you're real loving good at dodging" mode.

Anyway, going ahead and requesting Mighty No. 6's stage for co-commentary. Contact details are in my profile, and my schedule's pretty flexible so just hit me up whenever.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I'll take 4 for co-commentary.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Awesome! I got 1, 2, 4, 6, and Ray covered then.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
This reminds me so much of that lazy Rock Knight reboot from a few years ago, or even loving Blade Kitten. Just the sort of obnoxious, half-assed tripe that infested XBLA, and I'm actually shocked that a developer could think it'd still fly today. The thing is, those games were often based on a kernel of a good idea and even occasionally fun, but so sloppy that huge chunks were just a chore, and even the good parts just make you disappointed that the rest couldn't live up to that level, which seems to be the way Mighty No 9 here looks as well. As someone who completely tuned out all news of this game's development and is never gonna play the fuckin' thing, I'm very curious to see and hear about just what the hell happened.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Ray has an actually fun moveset and more fun powers then Beck but at times it is really obvious that no level/boss was redesigned around her being close range or her draining health mechanic. She also doesn't need to weaken enemies and then dash into them to kill them, her attacks just absorb enemies, and her dash is an attack as well.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

This seems ... interesting.

I can already tell this was mismanaged, because there's almost no incidental animation. Dr. White just stands there with his hand out as he talks, Dr. Sanda has a few nods and emotes, but everyone's character model is just idling when they aren't directed to talk. That speaks to a serious lack of give-a-poo poo and makes the whole presentation very anemic.

Also, you've got this on max settings?! Wow. I see blurred pixel jags on the textures in the background, that is sloppy as gently caress.

I hope the gameplay and the music have the strength to make up for the visuals, because if they don't ...

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright
I'm disappointed that the animation and voice acting don't nearly match up to Mega Man Legends. Fron 1997. Tiesel was wonderfully animated and played for that platform.

Our own fangame megathread has several better (and many worse) Mega Man games available for free. The fangame community has kinda sorta learned not to use the bad game mechanics early MM games did, like autoscrolling sections, which MN9 happily includes. $20 for :shrug: is not a good deal. Look what you could be playing. It's a better game than this.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

John Liver posted:

This seems ... interesting.

I can already tell this was mismanaged, because there's almost no incidental animation. Dr. White just stands there with his hand out as he talks, Dr. Sanda has a few nods and emotes, but everyone's character model is just idling when they aren't directed to talk. That speaks to a serious lack of give-a-poo poo and makes the whole presentation very anemic.

Also, you've got this on max settings?! Wow. I see blurred pixel jags on the textures in the background, that is sloppy as gently caress.

I hope the gameplay and the music have the strength to make up for the visuals, because if they don't ...

Spoiler: They don't.

Tiberius Thyben fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 27, 2016

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Zain posted:

I guess for those that have already played or seen the game, or not that's cool too! Report in on which Mighty Number you'd like to comment on. 2 has already been claimed but that means 1 and 3-8 are still open.

Can I claim Mighty No. 6 to just bitch forever about how it's the worst level in the game?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Man this game is a massive letdown

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I'm tempted to take the co-commentator part of MN8, but I'll have to pass.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Man that fire texture was absolutely atrocious, like I know there was a lot wrong with that opening but drat did that jump out to me

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Just did a small experiment and I'm pretty sure that there's no visual difference between the highest settings and the lowest settings.

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011
My only exposure to this game was watching someone struggle on a stage for like fifteen minutes, dying at the exact same spot, because the game had never told him how to crouch slide, and the button necessary to do that was hidden on a page other than Controls. That is, frankly, all I ever needed to know about this game.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The voice acting is bad, but in a very campy way. I'd like it a lot more if they stopped talking for thirty seconds and the characters had reactions when speaking instead of just standing still. Mega Man Legends had more going on with the character models than Mighty No. 9, and that was a PS1 game.

The gameplay doesn't look that bad, but if you've shown off 90% of what it entails, then that's pretty sad. It looks like the seeds of a good game are in here, but Inafune and company decided to spend most of the $4 million on hookers and blow.

Speaking of money, I'm just gonna leave this here.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

Speaking of money, I'm just gonna leave this here.

:laffo: That picture in the lower right was from one of the backer beta builds, right? Please tell me it's not actually in the final game as a real stage. :pray:

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer

Geemer posted:

:laffo: That picture in the lower right was from one of the backer beta builds, right? Please tell me it's not actually in the final game as a real stage. :pray:

Thankfully it's not, though a lot of the stages still look pretty drat crappy.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Fun fact: only around 60% of the 4 million actually made it into development of the actual game...too bad Inafuking couldn't be bothered with actually trying to make a good game. I DO like the DLC character though. She plays a lot differently than Beck and actually has some different mechanics tied to her. So bravo Inafuking, you at least TRIED with your DLC character...too bad Beck was aborted in the womb, prettied up and then shoved back in to necessitate delays.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Meanwhile Indivisible barely made the cut. Yes I am looking forward to indonesian Valkyrie profile from the makers of Skullgirls and yes I am salty that this incompetent businessman who even got called out by Sonic got 4 million, while Indivisible made it by the skin of its teeth.

It also grinds my gears because of him, everyone else looks like a shady liar. Yooka Laylee and Bloodstained look entirely promising and we already had plenty of other smash hits that prove kickstarter is a viable model, but now thanks to him anyone who had this as a first kickstarter would probably give up theri hands of it all.

But in terms of game, school project/10 I'd rather be playing Gunvolt/Trine/Shovel Knight/Dust:Elysian Trail/20XX/Axiom Verge and the like.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Radiochromatic posted:

My only exposure to this game was watching someone struggle on a stage for like fifteen minutes, dying at the exact same spot, because the game had never told him how to crouch slide, and the button necessary to do that was hidden on a page other than Controls. That is, frankly, all I ever needed to know about this game.
Even if you know the Crouch Slide you'll still die 99% of the time because that section requires pixel-perfect positioning.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I've said it in an earlier stream but you could make a case study using the game and Shantae: Half-Genie Hero to show the importance of competent management. The latter's trailer looks great and WayForward has been shown as competent thanks to hits like Ducktales Remastered.

Monk E
May 19, 2009

Annointed posted:

But in terms of game, school project/10 I'd rather be playing Gunvolt/Trine/Shovel Knight/Dust:Elysian Trail/20XX/Axiom Verge and the like.
I feel like this is one of the central reasons why people are so pissed. MN9 is a pretty basic take on the Megaman x formula but somehow it still manages to feel less polished then a bunch than of low budget games did including one made by some of the same people did without literally millions of kickstarter dollars.

Monk E fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 28, 2016

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Kemix posted:

Fun fact: only around 60% of the 4 million actually made it into development of the actual game...too bad Inafuking couldn't be bothered with actually trying to make a good game.

To be a little bit fair, Inafune is not running Comcept out of his basement and living on ramen. He is running a full development studio with full time workers, and that means a lot of expenses that need to be paid, including rent, salaries, utilities, etc.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
If you are employing people, you have to pay them wages, no matter how inefficient you are using their labor. This game had like four years of development and there's nothing strange about it costing a lot. That they accomplished so little in so much time is strange, but not that four years of development time cost a lot of money. Well, it seems only 2.4 of the 4 millions made it into the game, but even so, it's the actual man-hours that costs money, not the result of their labor.

Just to make one thing clear, if a quality game like Trine or Dust costs tens of thousands of dollars to develop, that means someone did a lot of work for free. Were those games developed by actual development studios, the costs could very well have been over a million.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

How much did Inafune have to do with the development of the actual game? I heard that he was just a producer and the guy who did the official art. I guess he created the central idea too.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Hey, at least you didn't give money to Star Citizen :haw:

EDIT: I was never big into Megaman or it's offshoots, so I'd appreciate a breakdown of why MN9 is bad compared to it's spiritual predecessor.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 28, 2016

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

Hey, at least you didn't give money to Star Citizen :haw:

EDIT: I was never big into Megaman or it's offshoots, so I'd appreciate a breakdown of why MN9 is bad compared to it's spiritual predecessor.

In video or just in general? It'll become apparent in a lot of the level design why MN9 is just bad in general. BUT! I could go into it in a post too. Just figure I'd put it to bare, and at the end of it all summarize it.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

SirPhoebos posted:

Same here, actually. I'd also like to know if there were things that you folks found promising early on, aside from the obvious "it's another game of a franchise I like".

When the Kickstarter began and my friends started freaking out, I wasn't exactly sure what they found appealing in the early stuff shown. The whole "self-plagiarism" approach was setting off a big red flag to me, but then again, I barely paid attention to the campaign, so now I'm curious as to what I might have missed that made the game look interesting.

Edit: In video or posts, doesn't matter much to me.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I remember watching you stream this last week and seeing you try to get through the frustrating instakill bullshit all over this game. Can't wait to see you try and struggle through the rest of it!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Zain posted:

In video or just in general? It'll become apparent in a lot of the level design why MN9 is just bad in general. BUT! I could go into it in a post too. Just figure I'd put it to bare, and at the end of it all summarize it.

Whatever works for you. While some things are pretty apparent even to non-fans (like the motionless faces-even the No Mercy characters were more expressive), stuff like float-y controls or 'uninspiring design' probably deserve elaboration for the uninitiated.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Annointed posted:

Meanwhile Indivisible barely made the cut. Yes I am looking forward to indonesian Valkyrie profile from the makers of Skullgirls and yes I am salty that this incompetent businessman who even got called out by Sonic got 4 million, while Indivisible made it by the skin of its teeth.

It also grinds my gears because of him, everyone else looks like a shady liar. Yooka Laylee and Bloodstained look entirely promising and we already had plenty of other smash hits that prove kickstarter is a viable model, but now thanks to him anyone who had this as a first kickstarter would probably give up theri hands of it all.

And stuff like Undead Darlings, which honestly looked like a neat little idea for a story that would've fit in with anything else on the Vita today, and the developer clearly has the skill to make good on his ideas as long as he has the resources, barely hit halfway to a $45K goal on their second attempt and fell flat.

kalonZombie posted:

Can I claim Mighty No. 6 to just bitch forever about how it's the worst level in the game?

I already called No. 6's stage, sorry mate.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
Zain, I feel your disappointment and hope this Let's Play will give you time to heal.

Here, I drew you a picture to cheer you up.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

If the video of the Mighty No. 2 stage doesn't have the obvious joke, I will be very disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Grimwit posted:

Zain, I feel your disappointment and hope this Let's Play will give you time to heal.

Here, I drew you a picture to cheer you up.

I don't believe I've ever loved someone as much as I do you right now.

• Locked thread