Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Well here we are again, not even a full two years in and we are already pissed off beyond measure. All thanks to these Fanny Bawbags.

We are looking at a massive, massive loving mess made by racists, idiots and right-wingers who had no idea what the gently caress they were doing. Now as a result right-wing nationalism in the rest of the UK is on the rise and they are showing their discontent towards anything pro-european which is really worrying for many in the Island. Markets are having a seizure and no one is interested in investing in the UK as of right now at this moment in time. Places which relyed heavily on EU Subsidies voted Leave and are now paying the price of their actions as they realise they just lost all that money that they were sent for a reason. People are regreting their decision and even went and signed a petition to have another EU referendum in the UK parliament website. But alas it won't count for much now that the damage has started and won't be stopping for sometime.

So where does Scotland stand in all of this? Well...

Polls indicate that thanks to the result. People are pissed and that Pro-EU No Voters are quickly changing their stance to Yes as a result and it's not hard to see why.

https://twitter.com/UK_Together/status/506899714923843584

Amongst other things that convinced no Voters was the Currency question which the pound is now taking the biggest pounding of it's lifetime. The Economy was another thing and now this result has pretty much made the Economy most likely fall back into the shitter. Three major questions that have convinced no voters have now been crushed into dust in the wake of this mess. Not only that but we are also possibly going to be dealing with a major brain-drain which Scotland really dosen't need at this moment in time.

Polls coming around favour Scottish Indepedence between 52% at the lowest to 65% at the highest. It might increase depending on party stances regarding this issue. Emotions are high at the moment and things are very uncertain for the UK as a whole. Another issue is that devolved parliaments have the right to veto the exit of the EU which would put many leave supporters into most likely causing riots and while it's still needs to be clairfied, that Westminister can disregard what the Parliaments think (Which is most likely going to lead to The Troubles levels of poo poo again.) and still go ahead with Brexit.

The Scottish Sectuary has comfirmed that Scotland is entitled to another Referendum and Nicola Sturgeon has already made claim that it's very likely. This will possibly be the last choice it will make regarding the UK and the EU for a long, long time.

Current Scottish Parliament party stances

Scottish National Party's Current Mood

I don't think we need an in-depth description on what's going on for them. The SNP are pretty much at a point where they are the most justified and reasonable of the UK parties which is really ironic to the point that people are just bewildered on how a Party that is now going to get a second indepedence referendum in breaking up the union is the most reasonable of the lot. Tories have pretty much shat the bed and Labour are having their shitfest as well so it's pretty much the SNP who are coming out as reasonable towards Pro-EU Brits and EU nationals.

And all they had to do was do nothing.

Scottish Labour's Current Mood

Right now I say they are still deciding on what they are doing. The Scottish Labour’s executive committee opened up the prospect of eventually endorsing independence after agreeing to check and consider the available options with Scotland in the UK. Kezia Dugdale has no doubt has stuff in her mind. She did say she would support another Indyref and possibly indepedence a while ago if Scotland were forced out of the EU by the rest of the UK which has just happened. No idea where she and Slabour stand at the moment so keep an eye out for this one as it depends on the unions, parliamentarians and members.

Scottish Lib Dems Current Mood

Are in talks alongside the SNP in trying to keep Scotland in the EU but without resorting to Indepedence but it appears to be a moot point as the EU have stated they won't allow a country part of the UK to join the EU. Right now it's up in the air where they are going but it's expected for them to switch towards Yes for Indepedence if Scotland does join the EU without major problems as their voters and members base appears to be more for keeping the EU rather then the UK. This isn't entirely surprising considering Liberial Democrats are the most europhile of the parties right next to the SNP. The Scottish Lib Dems would do anything to resurge and this appears to be a great opportunity.

Ruth Davidson Party's Current Mood

Ruth Davidson is not happy and she has every right to be. Things were going well for her and now the UK Tories have made such a mess that she is likely to split the Scottish Tory Party from the Main UK one if Boris is elected as UK Leader. She's for staying at the UK at this moment but that's because her core party is full of traditional rural people and stentch unionists. Though who knows what the opinion of farmers are going to feel when their EU subsidies are hosed as they are struggling already. Don't expect them to go Indy.

Scottish Greens Current Mood

Pretty much in the same boat as the SNP in terms of supporting another Indy Ref and being Pro-EU. Not much to write up other then they are more reasonable then the SNP are in terms of supporting indepedence but right now I think they are just as pissed as everyone is.

Parties not in Parliament that have made their stance

RISE: Supporting a Indyref and Indepedence due to increasing anti-migrant racism and xenophobia as well as wanting to keep in Europe to try along with others to make it more democratic and anti-austerity.

Important Figures that changed their stance - Feel free to mention anyone that's changed their mind.

No to Yes

• Alastair Campbell - Tony Blair's former spin doctor and spokesperson. Has pretty much shown that he's all for Pro-EU brits to head to Scotland if they want to be in the EU. He's appears to show sympathy and frustration to all of this.

• Carlos Alba - Communications director for Ken MacIntosh’s leadership campaign for Scottish Labour - Rather be part of the EU rather then an Isolated UK headed by Nigel and Boris.

• Henry McLeish - Second Labour First Minister of Scotland - Has stated that this is a unbelievably shocking and disastrous result like any rational person would and said it was time for Scotland to consider what kind of political company we're keeping following the emergence of trickle down racism and xenophobia in England and Wales.

• Malcolm Chisholm - Former Labour MSP - When responding to Kevin McKenna's piece in a tweet he states "Says Union effectively ended Thursday and Nicola Sturgeon has moral mandate for indyref2. Daily Record agrees and so do I"

• John Home Robertson - Former Labour MP and MSP - Says he will "probably vote for Indy"

• Simon Pia - Journalist & Consultant, Lecturer & former Labour Party spin doctor.
No to Undecided leaning Yes
  • Jamie Glackin - Former Scottish Labour chair. Shocked at the result.

• MEP David Martin - Is now open minded about Indyref and may be leaning Yes depending on where things go.

• Daily Record - Is open for another Indyref and may support Indepedence depending on the situation with the EU.

• Kurt Mills - Senior Lecturer in International Human Rights at the University of Glasgow - Says it might be time for Scotland to chart it's own path.
No to Undecided
  • Shona Craven - The Hearld and The National writer/journalist - Depends on the what happens and may swing yes or no depending on how things are dealt with.

• Chris Deerin - Writer & journalist for various news outlets - No longer finds the idea unthinkable but wants to see how Brexit Britain turns out first.

• Alex Massie -  Writer & journalist - Paywall so I can't get much information other then he's not happy with the result nor with the way the rest of the UK voted.

• David Torrance - Journalist, author and contemporary historian - Would likely change his mind if a credible deal from Brussels for continuing Scottish membership of the EU and crucially, concedes fiscal reality. Would settle for a federal UK but it's not going to happen anytime soon from the looks of it.

• Hugo Rifkind - Journalist, "I can feel my views on Scottish independence changing. Not enough to write a column about it, perhaps later"

• The Sunday Post
Yes to Undecided

Yes to No

Important Figures outside of Scotland

Supportive
  • JK Rowling - Wizard - Pretty much wanted both the UK and the EU but she's starting to have second thoughts and is pretty much just shocked and worried. I think she would be supportive of another referendum though not sure where she stands when it comes to Indepedence.

• Gunther Krichbaum - Senior German lawmaker and ally of Chancellor Angela Merkel - Pretty much welcomes the idea.

• Guy Verhofstadt - President of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe, 47th Prime Minister of Belgium - Thinks it's a disgrace that Scotland is forced to go along with the UK in exiting the EU.

• Bart De Wever - Leader of the Flemish nationalist party. States that the 'Scots will win' and has noticed that the eurocratic elite have taken a u-turn in their stance on Scotland. Didn't believe that Cameron would gently caress up.

• Micheál Martin - Leader of Fianna Fáil - Believes that Ireland should support them in a bid to re-enter the EU if the situation arises.

• Fiona Millar - Would head to Scotland if it gains Indy and was in the EU.

• Terry Reintke - German Green Member of European Parliament - "We will fight for respecting the Scottish vote to remain!"

• Sigmar Gabriel - Chairman of the Social Democratic Party of Germany, Vice-Chancellor and Federal Minister of Economic Affairs and Energy - Wasn't even asked directly about Scotland but he chose to say an independent Scotland is welcome in Europe with the response "The EU would almost certainly take in Scotland if it splits from the UK & wants to join the EU".

• John Clifford - Austrian honorary consul - states that the Scottish Government’s approach has been “refreshing” and that it would be welcome, no question about it.

• Dr Paul Millar - the honorary consul general of the Czech Republic - states that he personally supports Scottish Independence.

• Sir Nicholas Macpherson - Permanent secretary to the Treasury and is now visiting professor at King’s College London - States it's a golden opportunity for Scotland.

• Ewan McGregor - Actor, Switched stances after Brexit with the feeling of being confused over what just happened.
Against
  • UK Tories - Natural enemies of Scotland and Final Boss.

• UKIP - Because they are cunts.

• Nigel Farage - Because he's a oval office.
Unknown

Too many to list at this moment in time

FAQ

1. What the gently caress is going on?!

Hell if I know. You're watching a Ex-Empire set itself alight with a ballot and pen. Pretty impressive I have to say so myself.

2. Would I be able to get Scottish Citizenship if it goes Indy?

If you are living in Scotland as of right now till the end of the referendum (assuming it's a yes), you will automatically get Scottish citizenship as we are all UK citizens at this current moment in time. This was mentioned in the first Indyref in the White Paper and I don't see why it would change now. EU nationals I imagine would be the same if Scotland is joining the EU as they would still be considered UK citizens. We have no idea what it's going to be like for those outside the UK & EU though so keep an eye out for that.

3. Won't Spain Veto a Indy Scotland because of Catalonia?

Ehh...maybe, they did mention that if it wasn't a legitmate referendum they would veto it but the last one was. But now I don't think it's going to happen. Spain are underway in a election in the 26th of June which is right now and it's likely possible that the Podemos could lead a majority coalition of the Left in Spain and kick the People's Party out who are conservative and were the ones to threaten veto (Update: Another loving deadlock; another loving election would soon come too). There is also the problem with the fishing that Spain does in the northern waters which would also be used against them. They have also said they want to have co-op soverignty with Gibraltar (And god knows what will happen if the UK refuses.) Podemos & the other parties would most likely be supportive from the looks of it.

Honestly who knows at this point with Spain. Spain's trying to keep it's states together but I doubt they be stupid enough to burn a bridge if Scotland does go the independence way. I think it's mostly bluff talk to keep things as it is and Spain is no way going to give Catalonia a legit referendum. Plus if it's accuarte. Spain's sole veto is not enough to stop us from joining in the Article 50 Libson Treaty if they really felt they wanted to spite us for little reason.

4. Would the Referendum be stopped if Britain stop the progress with Brexit and the EU keeps them?

God knows at this point and he's loving Kingsley :kingsley: The damage has been done and will only increase from here as the EU and UK are still experincing the effect that this referendum has had. The general feeling is that Jean-Claude Juncker has stated they want the UK to activate Article 50 and the EU may be pissed enough that they won't have informal brexit talks with them until they activate Article 50 which is a one-way ticket out and no going back. Along with the infighting of the Tory and Labour party at this current time and the rising increase of xenophobia and racism. It will take a miracle to some how stop all this.

(Update: All Tory candiates are behind Brexit so it's certain)

Important Threads related to this nightmare.

ScotPol - Previous Thread for Scottish Politics between the First and Second Referendum.
The First Referendum
Another Referendum thread after the first one was locked - Threads for the First Referendum.
June UKMT - Less united then the Scotpol Thread. The EU Referendum reactions and responces UK-wide are here.

RESERVED - For possible Northern Ireland Unification Referendum

What not to do

Don't link Wings over Scotland Articles - The man who writes them is toxic and disgusting. Look at the previous threads to see why.
Don't start up No True Scotsman nonsense poo poo when referring to Posters - It's getting old and right now we don't need it.

.P.S. You got two days to choose a thread title in the poll above.

The Calm before the Storm has ended and we are now in the Eye of the Cyclone.

Extreme0 fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
What poll?

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Pissflaps posted:

What poll?

That poll.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
My vote was a protest vote and I hope it doesn't actually win.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I still stand by my highly principled stand that this thread is in fact Scotpol The Fourth. Third, could be argued. This is the hill I will die on.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

Acaila posted:

Was the other poll not 59/41?

Other poll was 65 Y/35 N if we aren't including don't knows.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
What's with the SNP and picking leaders named after fish

Tildryn
Mar 18, 2009

1stGear posted:

What's with the SNP and picking leaders named after fish

We're actually infiltrated by fishmen a la Innsmouth.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

Tildryn posted:

We're actually infiltrated by fishmen a la Innsmouth.

Sounds Scottish enough to be true.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
You missed a trick by not calling it Scotpoll.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

Coohoolin posted:

You missed a trick by not calling it Scotpoll.

I wrote this post for over 4-6 hours checking information and poo poo.

I just wanted it done.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I'm glad you got the gif of our new PM crippling a Japanese schoolboy in there. It's a good OP.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Based on the last option for thread titles, Nigel Farrage is going to blow up Westminster and rule as Lord Protector in the ruins of London.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

Extreme0 posted:

Against

UKIP - Because they are cunts.
Nigel Farage - Because he's a oval office.

Wtf? How can someone be for national self-determination and independence from a larger union in one case and then oppose it in another? Like, what reasons do they have for believing that Scotland should remain in the UK that don't conflict with their reasons for the UK leaving the EU? Apart from them just being vicious, self-interested dumb cunts of course?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Blurred posted:

Wtf? How can someone be for national self-determination and independence from a larger union in one case and then oppose it in another? Like, what reasons do they have for believing that Scotland should remain in the UK that don't conflict with their reasons for the UK leaving the EU? Apart from them just being vicious, self-interested dumb cunts of course?
It's a simple question of who's on top.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Writing in Indyref II: EUlectric boogaloo

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Blurred posted:

State's Rights. (Not Racist.)

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
You could argue that the Scots had their chance and voted to stay in, tying them to the destiny of the UK.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Breath Ray posted:

You could argue that the Scots had their chance and voted to stay in, tying them to the destiny of the UK.

Everything changed when the fire nation attacked.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Breath Ray posted:

You certainly could. Just like the UK voted to join the EU, forever joining that great country to the Union.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Henry McLeish is more or less a No to Yes atm.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

You certainly could. Just like the UK voted to join the EU, forever joining that great country to the Union.

That was a while ago tbf

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Stopped reading Scotpol this time last year, got 5k posts to catch up on.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

tithin posted:

Stopped reading Scotpol this time last year, got 5k posts to catch up on.

Not really worth it.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Preety sure that Pretty is spelled with two t's and one E, OP

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

According to Common Space, a spokesperson for Juncker has confirmed he'll be meeting with Scottish representatives soon.

EDIT: Ok, found the original tweet this is based on, seems to just be saying that he'll meet with Scottish representatives whenever they want, rather than putting a timescale on it.

baronvonsabre fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jun 27, 2016

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

My suggestion is currently leading the polling for thread title. Is that enough to get me Scottish citizenship should you go independent?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

forkboy84 posted:

Not really worth it.

Probably, when I started reading it last night it was you and Coohoolin talking about LFI votes at a pub or some stuff. I stopped paying attention and went back to playing Invisible inc.

Gotta admit, watching this internationally has blown my mind, maybe I'm blowing it out of proportion (Very possible!) but it definitely seems like I'm witnessing the end of the union in my lifetime.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

baronvonsabre posted:

According to Common Space, a spokesperson for Juncker has confirmed he'll be meeting with Scottish representatives soon.

What what what?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

tithin posted:

Probably, when I started reading it last night it was you and Coohoolin talking about LFI votes at a pub or some stuff. I stopped paying attention and went back to playing Invisible inc.

That's a fair summary. Very occasionally someone will say something outlandishly stupid and everyone jumps on them, but it never gets exciting.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

What what what?
It's the sequel; of course a former enemy now joins the ranks of the good guys against the real villains.

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

What what what?

Yeah, that's what I thought too, but see the edited post - they're just saying he's open to meet rather than that they are meeting soon. Here's the tweet Common Space were referring to. Worth saying as well that this was apparently said by Margaritis Schina, the Chief EU Commission spokesperson, not just some anonymous aide.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Extreme0 posted:

Scottish National Party's Current Mood

:perfect:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Scotpoll II: the Auld Dalliance

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

baronvonsabre posted:

Yeah, that's what I thought too, but see the edited post - they're just saying he's open to meet rather than that they are meeting soon. Here's the tweet Common Space were referring to. Worth saying as well that this was apparently said by Margaritis Schina, the Chief EU Commission spokesperson, not just some anonymous aide.

Don't they think meeting with representatives of a constituent nation of a larger sovereign country who hosed off to all hells is a dumb move politically?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Doesn't the PP winning in Spain fucks things up a bit?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Kurtofan posted:

Scotpoll II: the Auld Dalliance

I like this one

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Don't they think meeting with representatives of a constituent nation of a larger sovereign country who hosed off to all hells is a dumb move politically?

I actually think it's quite clever. At the moment the EU needs to look magnanimous about Brexit - coming down hard on the UK like they did with Greece is a PR disaster that it probably won't survive. By just suggesting to meet with leaders and work out a solution for everyone, it makes them look good since it appears they're trying to respect the democratic wishes of both Scotland and rUK, while also cementing the narrative about England and Wales being full of knuckle-dragging racists that have no idea what they're doing, dragging Scotland back into the dark ages and plunging Europe into chaos because of their idiocy. It allows them and the SNP to shape the narrative in a way that the Tories/Labour can't because they're too busy fighting each other.

baronvonsabre fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 27, 2016

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

baronvonsabre posted:

the Tories/Labour can't because they're too busy fighting each other.

In labour's case I think you mean "fighting themselves."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

Yeah, that is what I meant. And to be fair, the Tories are doing the same, they just have the decency to stab each other behind closed doors rather than in public