Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

lol that last second cut to Nigel's incredulous loving mug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

hahaha the dichotomy between that heartfelt, impassioned speech and the immediate allcaps insane UK nationalism below it is sublime.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Yinlock posted:

hahaha the dichotomy between that heartfelt, impassioned speech and the immediate allcaps insane UK nationalism below it is sublime.

I thought you were joking but...

GO THEN JOCK --WE DONT CARE WE DONT NEED YOU --NO MORE ROYAL FAMILY NO MORE BENEFITS NO MORE NHS --WILL EUROPE GIVE

YOU THAT ----NO THEY WONT ---GO SCOTLAND WE DONT CARE --WE DONT NEED YOU --WE WILL BUILD A BORDER BIGGER N BETTER

KEEP THE ABUSE COMING --JOCK --- I GOT BROAD SHOULDERS I GOT MY COUNTRY BACK ---YOU GOT gently caress ALL ---WE ARE ENGLAND

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

https://twitter.com/JamieRoss7/status/747742463499059200

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

www posted:

I thought David Cameron said something interesting today

Call Me Dave Delusional.

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

Also: Nicola Sturgeon set for top-level talks with the EU

quote:

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon will meet the President of the European Parliament tomorrow in Brussels.

The talks will form part of the Scottish Government's attempts to try to and secure the country's place in the European Union.

The European Parliament President Martin Schultz will hold discussions with the SNP leader tomorrow.

In the next few days Sturgeon also expects to meet with Jeane-Claude Juncker the President of the European Commission.

The First Minister said on Saturday that she would seek "immediate discussions" with the European Union's institutions and member states.

Sturgeon said: "Most of our discussion this morning centred on what we can do in the here and now and in the negotiations that lie ahead to protect Scotland's relationship with the European Union and our place in the single market.

"Cabinet agreed that we will seek to enter into immediate discussions with the EU 's institutions and with other EU member states to explore all possible options to protect Scotland's place in the EU.

"In doing so we are determined to draw on as much support and advice from across Scotland as possible. I can confirm today that over the next few days I will establish an advisory panel comprising a range of experts who can advise me and the Scottish Government on a number of important matters - legal, financial and diplomatic."

Sturgeon will also hold discussions with Guy Verhofstadt, the former Prime Minister of Belgium, who leads the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe parliamentary group in the European Parliament.

Emphasis mine.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

I thought the eu ruled out scotland staying in the EU if there was a brexit?

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

I don't think anything has been ruled out yet, but the general rumblings are that it can't happen if Scotland was still part of the UK, which is logical.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ash Crimson posted:

I thought the eu ruled out scotland staying in the EU if there was a brexit?

Conflicting reports. But Scotland isn't necessarily looking to keep the UK's membership benefits (obviously that'd be nice but highly unlikely), just trying to get fast-tracked membership for when we do have the second referendum on independence.

It is notable that the EU has ruled out talking to the British government until they start the wheels on motion with Article 50, but are going to be having high level talks with the First Minister tomorrow.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I don't think there's any chance Scotland would retain the UK's opt outs and rebate.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Conflicting reports. But Scotland isn't necessarily looking to keep the UK's membership benefits (obviously that'd be nice but highly unlikely), just trying to get fast-tracked membership for when we do have the second referendum on independence.

It is notable that the EU has ruled out talking to the British government until they start the wheels on motion with Article 50, but are going to be having high level talks with the First Minister tomorrow.

I'm really hoping it won't come to this, i voted yes in the last referendum, but im less sure we can be actually independent and also because independence would be personally tricky for me, but if we do leave the eu i will be forced to vote yes.

This whole situation sucks and i wish i knew what the gently caress was going on or what was going to happen, it's making me incredibly anxious.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I strongly suspect that a second indyref would fail to pass. Emotions are high right now, everything is in flux and the dust is still settling - when/if a second ref comes about, we'd necessarily have to revisit all the old arguments that sprang up in the first one (albeit with the EU situation significantly changed). Economics, currency (really, would Scotland want to change to the Euro? I'm not entirely sure), the deficit and building a border between us and England.

That last one is, funnily enough, the one I'm most concerned about - I'd find that state of affairs heartbreaking, regardless of the current state of politics.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

PiCroft posted:

That last one is, funnily enough, the one I'm most concerned about - I'd find that state of affairs heartbreaking, regardless of the current state of politics.

As a second-generation Latin American with US citizenship, now you know how it feels.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

PiCroft posted:

I strongly suspect that a second indyref would fail to pass. Emotions are high right now, everything is in flux and the dust is still settling - when/if a second ref comes about, we'd necessarily have to revisit all the old arguments that sprang up in the first one (albeit with the EU situation significantly changed). Economics, currency (really, would Scotland want to change to the Euro? I'm not entirely sure), the deficit and building a border between us and England.

Well, we'll have to see what happens on the Irish/Northern Irish border. Obviously a border with full custom checks between Scotland and England would be bad. Think of the hassle for poor Arbroath fans going to Shielfield to see their team play Berwick for example.

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

I don't think there's any chance Scotland would retain the UK's opt outs and rebate.

I think there's a good chance we'll keep at least some of them (though probably not the rebate). It's in the EU's interest politically to make Scotland's transition as smooth as possible since that makes them look reasonable and practical and respectful of the democratic wishes of a national electorate. Doing so will also make rUK look even more like a bunch of idiots who cut off their nose to spite their face, which reduces the chance of other members deciding to leave.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

baronvonsabre posted:

I think there's a good chance we'll keep at least some of them (though probably not the rebate). It's in the EU's interest politically to make Scotland's transition as smooth as possible since that makes them look reasonable and practical and respectful of the democratic wishes of a national electorate. Doing so will also make rUK look even more like a bunch of idiots who cut off their nose to spite their face, which reduces the chance of other members deciding to leave.

I think allowing Scotland to join the EU as quickly as possible would be reasonable enough on the EU's part, and Scotland would be in no position to demand opt-outs that the EU no longer offers to new members.

I don't think there's any chance of Scotland receiving a rebate when it would be - I believe - a net beneficiary of EU funding.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Pissflaps posted:

To be honest what is there to opt-out and rebate now?

The Pound? Pretty much hosed and may get hosed again.

Schengen? It isn't the worst option on the table if the rest of the UK is refusing to go into a single trade market and help the movement of people. Already got people around Europe saying that they are pissed off about this as their friends, lovers and relatives are going to be a lot harder to get too. And we don't know if the UK would also have to take Schengen just to join the single market too.

I mean that's the only two I can think of and I know there is a lot more but there is going to be a lot of things that I think are worth sacrificing just to keep in the EU.

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

The rebate I agree on. But I still think the political advantages to the EU will mean they'll be more than happy to agree on letting Scotland keep some of the other options, particularly an opt-out of using the Euro, since that's a sticking point for a lot of people.

That said, I'm not sure if by the time a hypothetical independence referendum comes around that we'd still want to use the pound...

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Extreme0 posted:

Schengen? It isn't the worst option on the table if the rest of the UK is refusing to go into a single trade market and help the movement of people. Already got people around Europe saying that they are pissed off about this as their friends, lovers and relatives are going to be a lot harder to get too. And we don't know if the UK would also have to take Schengen just to join the single market too.

I mean that's the only two I can think of and I know there is a lot more but there is going to be a lot of things that I think are worth sacrificing just to keep in the EU.

The rebate is the mechanism that sees the UK's financial contribution to the EU budget reduced by roughly 66%.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

baronvonsabre posted:

The rebate I agree on. But I still think the political advantages to the EU will mean they'll be more than happy to agree on letting Scotland keep some of the other options, particularly an opt-out of using the Euro, since that's a sticking point for a lot of people.

I think the argument that Scotland could be notionally required to join the Euro without there ever being any real pressure to do so is reasonable.

The problem, as before, is what would be used in the interim.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Pissflaps posted:

The rebate is the mechanism that sees the UK's financial contribution to the EU budget reduced by roughly 66%.

Yea this is going to be another point too. I wonder if it's going to up by a few percentages or is outright just gone.

This loving island has gone to poo poo. I did want Indepedence but I didn't want it to end up that we may need it like this :negative:

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

I think the argument that Scotland could be notionally required to join the Euro without there ever being any real pressure to do so is reasonable.

Unfortunately, we're just going to have to wait and see what happens to the Pound. I suppose we could make our own currency and peg it to the Euro or Dollar.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

baronvonsabre posted:

Unfortunately, we're just going to have to wait and see what happens to the Pound. I suppose we could make our own currency and peg it to the Euro or Dollar.

If you were to tell me in 2014 that we would peg our own currency to the euro or dollar then the pound I'd call you a moron.

How times change.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I'm phone posting right now, so it's hard for me to Google this myself - is there a breakdown of the post-Brexit hate crime surge by country? For us, specifically.

I'd like to think better of Scotland, and numbers would help. Or not, they might just depress the poo poo out of me.

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

Listening to the Scottish Parliament discussion at the moment. I'm not the biggest fan of Kezia Dugdale, but I'm really appreciating her using this opportunity to stick a knife into the Tories rather than her own party.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

The EU have stated that they would not allow people to use the Swedish Euro model again but then these are different times.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

PiCroft posted:

I largely agree with you, and this is similar to what I meant in the previous thread when I said that I don't think Yes have won the argument, but the more I think about it, the more I suspect the EU issue could fundamentally realign the campaign to Yes's benefit. The choice now isn't between staying in the UK or an independence whose claimed advantages were often either ill-defined or based on a vague sense of Scottish exceptionalism whose logic - if certainly not its practice - had the famiiiar echo of "taking our country back". Instead, with any new indyref the Yes camp (and this seems to be the way the SNP are headed) can - and in my opinion should - frame the debate as a clear choice between two different, incompatible, but fundamentally known and tangible political and economic unions. It won't convince everyone of course - and may even deter some of the 40% of the country who voted leave (many of whom voted Yes initially) - but I think it's a much stronger basis for a debate than Yes had previously.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Niric posted:

can - and in my opinion should - frame the debate as a clear choice between two different, incompatible, but fundamentally known and tangible political and economic unions.

This could be tricky because of the objectively greater importance of the British union to the Scottish economy than the European one.

An indyref2 right now would again need be won again with the heart rather than the head - though this time round that might be possible.

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

Niric posted:

I largely agree with you, and this is similar to what I meant in the previous thread when I said that I don't think Yes have won the argument, but the more I think about it, the more I suspect the EU issue could fundamentally realign the campaign to Yes's benefit. The choice now isn't between staying in the UK or an independence whose claimed advantages were often either ill-defined or based on a vague sense of Scottish exceptionalism whose logic - if certainly not its practice - had the famiiiar echo of "taking our country back". Instead, with any new indyref the Yes camp (and this seems to be the way the SNP are headed) can - and in my opinion should - frame the debate as a clear choice between two different, incompatible, but fundamentally known and tangible political and economic unions. It won't convince everyone of course - and may even deter some of the 40% of the country who voted leave (many of whom voted Yes initially) - but I think it's a much stronger basis for a debate than Yes had previously.

It won't be won on the basis of the economy. There's a stronger argument the SNP are now able to make, even just implicitly; that a vote to stay in Britain is a vote for intolerance and racism and hatred of anyone not English; while a vote for independence is a vote for constructive cooperation with Europe and the world, looking outwards to a world and the future, rather than being forced against our will to wallow in England's nostalgia for an empire that died long ago. we've just seen how a similar argument based on absolutely nothing won, this one actually has some substance to it.

baronvonsabre fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 28, 2016

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Extreme0 posted:

I agree with you on the Schengen point. Presumably it would also have the amusing side effect of forcing England to have the kind of customs border that they've been denying needing for Ireland lest foreigners who haven't had their passports checked step across the border.

It still really wouldn't be in Scotland's interests to adopt the Euro however - the risks aren't currency volatility (which presumably would stabilise in any case in due course) but the setting of a cross-European interest rate. If I was Nicola, and adopting the Euro was non-negotiable, then I would push for some sort of conditionality once it could be demonstrated that Scotland's economy is at the appropriate point in the economic cycle relative to the rest of Europe. It's still not ideal (the Eurozone isn't properly harmonized itself and the cycles themselves may not be in sync) but better than joining on a purely political timetable.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 28, 2016

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

This could be tricky because of the objectively greater importance of the British union to the Scottish economy than the European one.

An indyref2 right now would again need be won again with the heart rather than the head - though this time round that might be possible.

baronvonsabre posted:

It won't be won on the basis of the economy. There's a stronger argument the SNP are now able to make, even just implicitly; that a vote to stay in Britain is a vote for intolerance and racism and hatred of anyone not English; while a vote for independence is a vote for constructive cooperation with Europe and the world, looking outwards to a world and the future, rather than being forced against our will to wallow in England's nostalgia for an empire that died long ago. we've just seen how a similar argument based on absolutely nothing won, this one actually has some substance to it.

I think you're both right, and I should probably have stressed that while the economic case for independence is more tangible (if, as pissflaps says, not exactly any better given the importance of the UK to the Scottish economy) I don't think it's the be-all and end-all, hence talking about the two "political and economic unions" on offer, with the former term is just as important as the latter. Framing it as "heart v head" isn't very useful I think, because "political" (meaning both formal political ties as well as looser social and cultural affiliations and commonalities) isn't just wooly feelings to be contrasted with cold and clinical economic rationalism. Whereas independence could previously (and with some justification) be argued to be the politically insular option, that's certainly not the case now. There's also what you might call the social aspect: leave won on a campaign that was, to a large degree, overtly xenophobic. While I don't believe that Scots are just inherently much better people, it seems pretty clear that our political culture is different enough in both form and content that defining yourself against such overt xenophobia could be a (net) vote winner - and I think it would be fairly straightforward to frame a Yes vote like that, as baronvonsabre suggests.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

PiCroft posted:

England is only going to get worse so i'm not sure why you care about building a border. England is done. Even if the economy somehow manages to stabalise its never going to reach great heights. And you've seen the voice of the average English via twitter now. They're insane and don't actually comprehend what they've done. This is not a country that going on to great things. I suspect anyone with intelligence and the means will leave the country as soon as possible. I guess that's one part of the plan successful. No one wants to come to England anymore.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 28, 2016

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
How is keeping the pound not entirely off the table at this point? Does anyone really think the EU would allow one of its member states to use a currency controlled by the central bank of a country not in the EU?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

To be honest, at this point would it be a bad thing if Scotland ditched the Pound? I can't see it ever recovering to the same levels it once was.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I thought that we'd done the whole Euro thing to death last time? Although Euro membership is technically compulsory, ERMII membership isn't and that's one of the conditions for Euro accession. You just refuse to join or say that you'll put it to a referendum when the time is right, that's the approach of the Swedes and the best way of going about it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

I thought that we'd done the whole Euro thing to death last time? Although Euro membership is technically compulsory, ERMII membership isn't and that's one of the conditions for Euro accession. You just refuse to join or say that you'll put it to a referendum when the time is right, that's the approach of the Swedes and the best way of going about it.

As I just said a few posts ago the EU did state they would not accept people trying the Swedish opt out again

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
That seems to be the model that the Czech government is moving towards, and that's a government that's meant to be pro-Euro.

Aug 4, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I don't think there's any chance of Scotland receiving a rebate when it would be - I believe - a net beneficiary of EU funding.

According to this Scotland isnt a net beneficiary

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/02/scots-pay-64-net-each-to-the-eu-but-english-pay-140-each/

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Mr. Fortitude posted:

To be honest, at this point would it be a bad thing if Scotland ditched the Pound? I can't see it ever recovering to the same levels it once was.

This seems pretty alarmist. Is it not too early to say 'well, this poo poo is non-recoverable'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

quote:

The UK’s net contribution is almost £8 billion, the equivalent of £117 per person. However, the English on their own contribute more than that, averaging £140 per person.

In comparison, the Northern Irish pay a net sum of only £31 per person, while the Welsh are net beneficiaries to the tune of £164 per person because they receive more than they pay in.

Goddamn, I didn't realise it was that bad for Wales.