Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Noshtane posted:

Too much foodchat ITT.

Let's talk about Miljöpartiet. They have now betrayed pretty much all of their core issues. No nuclear power exit in sight, Vattenfalls coal mines are sold and our borders are tighter than Tupacs first rap album. They didn't do that very good back in 2014, how will they do now with all the broken promises and purges to slow them down? Will we see the end of MP and F! taking their role as the small party filled with oddballs?
Pretty cool that a green party isn't anti-nuclear. Good job Sweden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

That is actually sensible, Green parties of outside microstates should have neutral, if not positive stance towards nuclear power, even though the latter would not bode well with average electorate, mainly due to the fact that inventors of modern nuclear technologies reliably fail to communicate anything.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

That's why I said it was cool.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
The Greens have always been an opposition party , they have never been in charge of real decisions before. Just citicising the ones in charge.
They view the world as Stockholm and surrounding areas and think that everyone should travel collectively, preferably by subway. The first thing they did was to proclaim a Palestinian state.
They are not known for their sensible beliefs. I liked them better as a social conscience party to remind us to also think of the environment.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

MRLOLAST posted:

The Greens have always been an opposition party , they have never been in charge of real decisions before. Just citicising the ones in charge.
They view the world as Stockholm and surrounding areas and think that everyone should travel collectively, preferably by subway. The first thing they did was to proclaim a Palestinian state.
They are not known for their sensible beliefs. I liked them better as a social conscience party to remind us to also think of the environment.
Proclaim a Palestinian state? You mean recognize Palestine? Because that's also a cool thing to do.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Proclaim a Palestinian state? You mean recognize Palestine? Because that's also a cool thing to do.

To you yes, but I think a lot of people disagreed.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

MRLOLAST posted:

Yeah, and those people are wrong.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's why I said it was cool.
Yeah I'm just trying to give a bit more background to it, though as you see, being a physics student I don't do much better job at communicating than physicists themselves.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice

MRLOLAST posted:

gently caress them :toot:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

kalstrams posted:

being a physics student

:( I'm so, so sorry

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rappaport posted:

Could've been much worse, to be frank.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Rappaport posted:

Well, someone needs to invent a device which will send Russia into an alternate dimension.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well, someone needs to invent a device which will send Russia into an alternate dimension.
I'm actually on the practical side of things, so how about we accurately measure their radio traffic using a satellite? :v:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

kalstrams posted:

I'm actually on the practical side of things, so how about we accurately measure their radio traffic using a satellite? :v:
Sending Russia into an alternate dimension sounds much more practical to me...

Noshtane
Nov 22, 2007

The fish itself incites to deeds of hunger
An impenetrable force field to place between Russia and its neighbors is an acceptable substitute if dimensional travel proves too hard.

Noshtane fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 6, 2016

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Noshtane posted:

Let's talk about Miljöpartiet. No nuclear power exit in sight, Vattenfalls coal mines are sold and our borders are tighter than Tupacs first rap album.

thank god S pulled through

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

What did you do

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Great badge of honor or greatest badge of honor?

On another topic, I wanted to talk a bit about parliament member Amineh Kakabaveh. A brief summary, courtesy of Wikipedia:

wikipedia posted:

Amineh Kakabaveh (även Ameneh), född 6 december 1970[1] i Saqqez i Iran[källa behövs], är en svensk-iransk politiker (vänsterpartist) och riksdagsledamot sedan år 2008. Hon är invald i riksdagen för Stockholms läns valkrets på plats 282.

Som nybliven ersättare i riksdagen i februari 2008 blev Kakabaveh suppleant i konstitutionsutskottet och civilutskottet, uppdrag som hon lämnade i juni samma år då hon blev ordinarie riksdagsledamot. Från och med september 2008 var Kakabaveh suppleant i kulturutskottet och utbildningsutskottet. Efter valet 2010 lämnade hon dessa båda uppdrag och blev istället åter suppleant i civilutskottet.[2]

Kakabaveh är utbildad socionom (filosofie magister i socialt arbete) och har tidigare arbetat som socialarbetare i Botkyrka kommun inom socialtjänsten.

Hon är även grundare till föreningen Varken hora eller kuvad (VHEK), som är en feministisk och antirasistisk rörelse som är opolitisk och religiöst obunden.

Amineh Kakabahveh var en så kallad peshmerge-soldat i Irak och Iran. Vid 14 års ålder flydde hon från Iran under hot om dödsstraff.[3]

Kakabaveh anser att riksdagens lokaler inte skall användas till religiösa ceremonier,[4] eftersom det hus där Sveriges lagar ska vara en sekulär plats.[5]

I've been a big fan of Amineh, mostly because of her work in the organisation "Varken Hora eller Kuvad", (VHEF) which roughly translates to "Nor whore nor subjugated". It was created after the murder of a girl who had the utter gall to not only go against her families orders not to date a swedish man, but to also actively fight against them in court and in media. The goal of the organisation is to fight the type of demented patriarchal machismo that's usually behind these types of crimes, and provide support to the young girls who are stuck in these dangerous situations.

Recently Amineh and VHEF have been making a bit of noise regarding the situation amongst women and LGBT characters in certain suburbs
https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article22384051.ab

aftonbladet posted:

rapporten, som publicerades i torsdags, har föreningen Varken Hora eller Kuvad frågat 1 100 ungdomar mellan 12 och 18 i segregerade Stockholmsförorter om hur de upplever sin egen frihet.
Resultatet är nedslående.
28 procent av de tillfrågade tjejerna säger att de är mycket hårt kontrollerade hemifrån. Tillsammans med de som uppger ”mycket” så är det mer än 50 procent.
– Det är väldigt sorgligt och fruktansvärt, men tyvärr inte överraskande att en så hög andel flickor är utsatta. Trots hundramiljontals satsningar på området årligen sedan Fadime mördades för fjorton år sedan är problemet fortfarande stort och växande. Carin Götblads rapport från 2014 visar att 100 000 ungdomars liv och frihet är begränsade, säger Amineh Kakabaveh som också är riksdagsledamot för Vänsterpartiet.
Hon undersökte problemet redan för elva år sedan, då i Botkyrka, och ser hur det går längre ned i åldrarna.
– Killarna börjar lära sig från nio, tio års ålder att systrarna och kusinerna inte ska umgås med killar, eller sitta bredvid dem i skolan. Det är en hög andel flickor som är utsatta och deras friheter är begränsade. De får inte delta i aktiviteter i till exempel skolan, eller välja partner och bli kär i vem de vill, säger Amineh Kakabaveh.

Another article is here
http://www.expressen.se/debatt/i-fororten-vaxer-mannens-diktatur/

quote:

Tvåbarnsmamman Seve Saleh som bott i Husby i 13 år berättar för mig hur Husby allt mer liknar Afghanistan.
Islamister och fundamentalister säger till ungdomarna här att de måste beslöja sig, att svensk mat är "Haram" (smutsig), och att de måste läsa Koranen.
Muslimska kvinnor med andra livsstilar än islamisterna får ständigt synpunkter på hur de lever - till och med på vilken mataffär de handlar från.
Och i skolan tillrättavisas Seves barn av fundamentalisternas.
Situationen är likadan i andra förorter som Tensta, Rinkeby, Alby, Fittja, Rosengård, Bergsjön, Angered och så vidare.

Amineh is a member of Vänsterpartiet, although that relationship has been strained for a while. She obviously doesn't have a problem with pointing out the growing segregation and the negative effects thereof, and this I think has not been well received with her peers in V, mostly because of her critisism of Islam and the way she argues it feeds in to the patriarchal honor culture in these suburbs.

Either way, Amineh hosed up recently, (I found out about this a couple of days ago, being cut of from swedish MSM). She shared a clip on her facebook page that she thought was from SVT but was actually from a neo-nazi organisation. Oops!.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/samhalle/article22712623.ab

quote:

Nyhetssajten Expo Idag har avslöjat att Vänsterpartiets riksdagsledamot Amineh Kakabaveh spridit en högerextrem film på Facebook. I filmen, som sammanställts av den högerextrema gruppen Nordisk Ungdom, målas somalier via fejkad textöversättning ut som våldtäktsmän och tjuvar.
I klippet finns också en logga från Sveriges Television – som lagts till. Enligt SVT känner man inte till filmen och presschef Catarina Wilson säger till Expo:
– Det är uppenbart att Nordisk ungdom har lagt på en SVT-logga på ett filmklipp och gjort en översättning. Vi har inte sett den tidigare och den har dessbättre inte fått väldigt stor spridning

Kakabaveh själv menar att hon har begått ett ”stort misstag” och att hon tog bort sitt inlägg så snart hon förstod att innehållet var falskt. Att hon spred filmen menar hon berodde på att hon har engagerat sig emot polygami och månggifte, vilket figurerar i filmen.

She said she didn't finish watching the whole video, just some segments and then turned it off in disgust after the whole "polygami" thing, which means that taken at face value she missed the parts where somalians are portrayed as rapists or thieves. Still, she's apologized and gotten a lot of heat for this blunder, and been forced to take a time out from her duties in V, from what I understand.

Still, being the firecracker that she is, she sent in an article defending herself

http://www.dagenssamhalle.se/debatt/jag-kommer-alltid-bekaempa-rasism-och-kvinnofoertryck-26115

quote:

Under den tid jag tvingades avstå från allt utåtriktat arbete så var det ingen från partiledningen som försvarade mig. Jag fick inte närvara när partiledningen bjöds in till ett rättegångsliknande möte med svenska somalier i Kista. Här kunde vissa deltagare kasta ur sig i stort sett hur grova anklagelser som helst utan att någon från mitt parti sa det självklara: ”Amineh har gjort ett misstag som hon är ledsen för, men vi känner henne och vet att hon har ett brinnande engagemang för att bekämpa alla former av rasism.”

Redan 2012 kritiserade jag riksdagsstyrelsens beslut att ändra sina stadgar för att tillåt religiösa ceremonier i riksdagens lokaler. Det hus där Sveriges lagar stiftas ska vara en sekulär plats för demokratin där alla ska känna sig inkluderade. Men min dåvarande gruppledare ringde bakom min rygg upp dåvarande riksdagsledamöterna Abdirizak Waberi (M), Mehmet Kaplan (MP) och Amir Adan (M) för att be om ursäkt för mitt agerande. Sedan gav de order till mig att inte uttala mig mer. När jag fortsatte att uttala mig i frågor om kvinnoförtryck så tilldelades jag ingen utskottsplats efter valet 2014.

It seems that her work against extremism hasn't garnered her any friends in her own party, on the contrary.

At any rate, despite her error in judgment, I am still a big fan of her work, and will still vote for her next election. I wish more people in power would talk about how conditions in these suburbs are getting worse for women and LGBT people. She has to thread the needle very carefully fighting the worsening conditions while not playing in to the hands of people trying to fan the fires of xenophobia, but I think she's done a good job...you know, that one clip not withstanding.

So that's my contribution for the month! Feel free to bring up your own favorite/least favorite PM's and why they're so great/terrible!

McCloud fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 6, 2016

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

..Or we could talk about food, I guess?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

McCloud posted:

This might be a language issue.
After all, it can be hard to discuss something when you're not even sure what it's about.

Also, pinnekjøtt is the best Christmas dish.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Rugbrød! (rye bread)
Smear some butter on that fucker and then dress with sliced meats and what have you.
God I love Rugbrød...

Almost as much as I love potatoes!

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
i sometimes eat kebab and other times i do not

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Also that Swedish lamb leg thing is just wonderful.
I can't remember what it's called, though.

It's like a fenalår, but juicer.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

ThaumPenguin posted:

This might be a language issue.
After all, it can be hard to discuss something when you're not even sure what it's about.

Also, pinnekjøtt is the best Christmas dish.

That is a good point. I suppose I should whole rear end it instead of half rear end it and translate the quoted parts.

Meanwhile though, Almedalen is in full swing and nary a peep in here. I think both M and SD had their appearances today. One of M's suggestions is to lower the amount of social welfare you can receive, and SD wants to tackle problematic suburbs with swedish folk dances, curfews and special police taskforce.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

McCloud posted:

SD wants to tackle problematic suburbs with swedish folk dances, curfews and special police taskforce.

All at the same time, right?

germlin
May 31, 2011
Fun Shoe
Deploy the pacification maypole!

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

McCloud posted:

i guess its just a sad story right? It might have to do with V's ideological baggage but i mean, every party treats "rogue" elements with hostility. It's the weird collectivist part of sweden made form.
I'm just reading your write-up and shaking my head, but i'm lost on what the thing to take away is, is what im trying to say.
Maybe the left should talk about those issues in earnest, using serious, empirical persons like Amineh to lead the way? If only to counteract the retardation of the alt-right currently in full medvind in the public discussion

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Wild Horses posted:

i guess its just a sad story right? It might have to do with V's ideological baggage but i mean, every party treats "rogue" elements with hostility. It's the weird collectivist part of sweden made form.
I'm just reading your write-up and shaking my head, but i'm lost on what the thing to take away is, is what im trying to say.
Maybe the left should talk about those issues in earnest, using serious, empirical persons like Amineh to lead the way? If only to counteract the retardation of the alt-right currently in full medvind in the public discussion

Well what I wanted most was to talk about Amineh cause I think she's doing good work and many might not have heard much about her other than the recent screw up she did, but yeah, if there is a broader point to be made it is that there is a growing problem in immigrant heavy aras that increasingly adhere to problematic norms imported from middle eastern patriarchal religious culture.

The frequency of attacks on EMTs and police officers in these areas has increased, young girls feel they are controlled by family and LGBT people are threatened. It feels like the left has totally ceded this ground to the alt right and generally don't want to discuss these issues in fear of fueling the same fires that SD are stoking, but this just lets SD grow in influence and corner the "immigration" issue.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

germlin posted:

Deploy the pacification maypole!

And the pacification maypussy to fight the patriarchy!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

evobatman posted:

And the pacification maypussy to fight the patriarchy!
I think you mean mayhole.

germlin
May 31, 2011
Fun Shoe
So what is going on in Perfect Countries? Aside from Sweden getting tuff on crime, Denmark confiscating gold teeth and Norway having slightly less than all of the money?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

germlin posted:

So what is going on in Perfect Countries? Aside from Sweden getting tuff on crime, Denmark confiscating gold teeth and Norway having slightly less than all of the money?

Dunno about Denmark and Sweden, but here's some of what's apparently going on here in Norway:

Norway will not negotiate any trade negotiations with the UK until UK-EU Brexit negotiations are complete.

Norwegian police consider body cameras.

Our claims of "not being in the EU" are getting closer and closer to being basically pedantry.

Norway prepares for the resource wars.

Nobody visits us anymore.

Our vaguely infamous immigration minister might call it quits, as she wants to spend more time with her family.

The conservative leader of the Norwegian parliament's finance committee wants us to cut corporation taxes so our corporations won't all flock to the UK whenever the Brits get around to making a new budget. Yes, really.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 8, 2016

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

germlin posted:

Sweden is trudging along for the housing market equivalent of Ragnarök and yet, it was barely even discussed in this weeks large political 7-day gathering in Almedalen. Instead, every party is trying to orient towards their own version of nationalism and gossip about Brexit. Since last month we also officially have one of the worst asylum policy packages in Europe thanks to proposition 174 getting voted through. When questioned about particulars that have been deemed contra-productive by swedish government agencies, courts and NGO's the only answer given by the government is; 'We did that because that's what the EU-minimum says is the least we can do.'

We gon' be alright. :suicide:

Noshtane posted:

Let's talk about Miljöpartiet. They have now betrayed pretty much all of their core issues. No nuclear power exit in sight, Vattenfalls coal mines are sold and our borders are tighter than Tupacs first rap album. They didn't do that very good back in 2014, how will they do now with all the broken promises and purges to slow them down? Will we see the end of MP and F! taking their role as the small party filled with oddballs?

I still can't believe that Fridolin actually got to stay.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 9, 2016

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

You'll be more a part of the EU than Denmark in a few years. :v:

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

McCloud posted:

Great badge of honor or greatest badge of honor?

On another topic, I wanted to talk a bit about parliament member Amineh Kakabaveh. A brief summary, courtesy of Wikipedia:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion: You Are Racist > Scandinavian Politics - [källa behövs]

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

I still can't believe that Fridolin actually got to stay.

But he's so cuuuuuuuuuuute :allears:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

ThaumPenguin posted:

I do not think I have ever had that despite living there most of my life. If you can figure out what it is called I will see if I can find some next time I visit Gotland

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

ThaumPenguin posted:

Fårfiol?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

TheFluff posted:

Fårfiol?

Yes! That's the one!

My sister's Swedish mother-in-law has occasionally brought some with her while visiting us for Christmas. I'm really fond of the stuff.