Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Should I bother with the first game or just go straight to 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Emalde posted:

1. getting rare mats takes zero effort in this game, do whatever the gently caress you want. nothing is partciularly scarce

2. GE2 will most likely have better longevity since it's the main title entry for this whole release, has arguably better combat depth/mechanics with the blood arts, and a much wider spread of unique monsters over GE:R
Much appreciated answers, thank you!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

Should I bother with the first game or just go straight to 2?

If you give a drat about story stuff or plan to play one at all, play one first. GE2 makes some gameplay improvements that might make it a little harder to go backwards.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Oh, good thing I decided to pre-order this game like eight hours ago since it's live now. Making my character and I really like the character designs, I thought this was going to be embarrassingly anime but all the hairstyles look really good

There's enough freedom in the clothing options to go as silly or as (relatively) professional with your dress up as well.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Aug 30, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
How're loading speeds on the Vita version, and is there cross-region play at all?

I'm debating whether to keep my Vita preorder or get it on Steam instead so I can play it at 1080p.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
I love monster hunter, but I've only been playing it on the 3DS (never had/played portable PS systems). Hell, I'm playing MHGen right the gently caress now.

God Eater seems interesting, and I've heard decent things about it, but I'm not getting wow'd at the PC gameplay I'm seeing. Especially for 50 bucks.

Can anyone sell me on it? Specifically, how long it'll last/how much content it has.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Morter posted:

I love monster hunter, but I've only been playing it on the 3DS (never had/played portable PS systems). Hell, I'm playing MHGen right the gently caress now.

God Eater seems interesting, and I've heard decent things about it, but I'm not getting wow'd at the PC gameplay I'm seeing. Especially for 50 bucks.

Can anyone sell me on it? Specifically, how long it'll last/how much content it has.

I like God Eater, but it is in no way a 'replacement' for Monster Hunter. The two are, at best, tangentially similar: you make an anime, dress them up in goofy clothes, and kill lots of monsters for parts to make sharper sticks to stab more monsters with.

God Eater has some nice QoL things going for it. You rarely ever feel like you can't get a part you need. Armor isn't really a thing, so you can fashion-Eater pretty much from the word go. If you need to have SOME kind of narrative to push you through content, these games have the anime-ist narrative ever.

A big thing about God Eater vs. Monster Hunter is the pace of the combat. MH is a more deliberately paced game. There's a flow between attack and defense, a lot of survival in MH is based on observation and preparation, and reacting to a monster's moves once you learn them.

GE does reward observation and preparation, but not nearly to the same degree. It's easier to have the items you need for a mission, it's easier to stay up to date with crafting, and offense is less complex than MH, and the game encourages you to really get in there and hack away almost recklessly. The monsters themselves are not nearly as versatile as in MH, so there's a lot less to worry about even when encountering a monster for the first time.

In that sense, God Eater is far easier to pick up and play, far easier to run in there and smack around some monsters. There are endgame hunts in GE that, as in MH, are considerably more demanding on the player if you want a greater challenge. There's a lot of content to be had if you pick it up on PC, and if you're a completionist of some kind you will be busy for around a hundred hours or more. The PC deal is pretty nice overall since you get both games, and if you somehow end up caring about the story, well that's a nice bonus too.

I like God Eater enough that I can bounce back and forth between MH and GE and not feel like I'm getting HUNTING GAME FATIGUE or whatever. I'm probably going to pick up GE2 on Vita to go with my PS4 version, just so I can choose to play on my TV or on my Vita with the same save.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

fivegears4reverse posted:

tangentially similar: you make an anime, dress them up in goofy clothes, and kill lots of monsters for parts to make sharper sticks to stab more monsters with.

Thanks for replying since I don't have it in me to try and "sell" people on the genre at large, but I'm definitely stealing this for future use

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Sorry for asking to have someone :airquote:sell:airquote: me on God Eater, I just wanted to know how it was in relation to Monster Hunter (as opposed to the genre in general). The quality seems to be wanting but if the gameplay is good and long lasting then I'm pretty sure to get it.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Every game in the genre that isn't monster hunter is very specifically trying to sell itself on "not being monster hunter", all of the comparisons boil down to "like monster hunter, except" generally followed by something about it being faster/less annoying/easier to execute/whatever. It's a ubiquitous theme among all of them.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Morter posted:

Sorry for asking to have someone :airquote:sell:airquote: me on God Eater, I just wanted to know how it was in relation to Monster Hunter (as opposed to the genre in general). The quality seems to be wanting but if the gameplay is good and long lasting then I'm pretty sure to get it.

This is really the money quote:

fivegears4reverse posted:

GE does reward observation and preparation, but not nearly to the same degree. It's easier to have the items you need for a mission, it's easier to stay up to date with crafting, and offense is less complex than MH, and the game encourages you to really get in there and hack away almost recklessly. The monsters themselves are not nearly as versatile as in MH, so there's a lot less to worry about even when encountering a monster for the first time.

As a big fan of MH, this is no MH. You definitely don't get the same feeling of waiting while watching the enemy, planning out every strike. It's very reckless and even the harder missions I've gone up against, while it's useful to expect and avoid enemy attacks, it isn't as demanding or necessary as in MH. Combat feels very different. If you want a hunting experience on the PC that's got some of the flavor of action combat, it's not a miss, but I could really see people waiting for a price drop before jumping in. I know I'm recommending that for my friends.

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.
I've enjoyed the pace of this. The whole switching between gun and blade combat makes for a nice flow, and the AI teammates aren't awful.

The fact they aren't awful is good, because the MP matchmaking is..... not great.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

RossCo posted:

The fact they aren't awful is good, because the MP matchmaking is..... not great.

What matchmaking? :v:

I've updated the second post with a short list of differences between the two titles, if anybody thinks something should be added/revised, let me know.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Emalde posted:

Resurrection is better for literal fidelity polish. The graphics are a little nicer and the audio quality isn't somehow compressed to poo poo. It also has more QOL features with the UI, being the latest installment. There are 100 "main" story missions total through the 3 campaigns, plus a spattering of extra post-game content.

2:RB has more technical depth and an actual larger set of monsters, though you have to suffer through slightly less easier to navigate menus and more feature bloat over Res.

PSN community is live

Missed a chance for "Offal Eaters"

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
God Eater compared to MH in terms of difficulty is an odd duck. If you compare solo play (no AI allies either) to solo play in MH I'd say that God Eater ends up the harder game and gets there much faster in its progression. Everything is all one area, you can't use dung bombs (flash and run only works so well on some things), even the trash mobs can do some damage and most missions have multiple large monsters. You can smart play for some of the missions to keep them away from each other, but if they do meet up you're in for it and really can't be as recklessly aggressive. It becomes a much different game, moreso than it already was from the start. Think soloing silver/gold rath on the tower map or similar things only that's the game's default a lot of the time or if you screw up just a little.

On the other hand, you can also make it a more casual experience by playing multiplayer or bringing the AI allies. Once you beat the games you have the option to amp up the difficulty of any quest to make multiplayer less casual, though until then if you're looking for a challenge you'll probably have to solo (without AI allies). Similar to MH, the normal missions are best balanced for 2 players at most in terms of enjoyable difficulty with some of the events/special quests having some difficulty with 4 until you unlock the ability to just make everything difficult. Unlike MH4U, there isn't really a loot-farm built around increasing the difficulty--you just do it because it'd be fun to do it, not because you've gotta grind out these RNG weapons/armor to beat the world record kill times or whatever reasoning you might've had for hating guild quests in 4U.

For other differences in difficulty, for MH you can basically just ignore crafting more than 1 weapon chain and 1 armor set per tier and solo your way to G-rank just fine if you're anything approaching competent. For God Eater, new stuff is easier to craft because if you're playing full-solo you'll actually want to craft it and change up your weapon/shield for each mission. The little circles by each element are actually important and so is the difference between the physical damage types. Luckily, the game itself tells you what everything is weak to and where between its mission descriptions and the database.

edit: oh, right, if you're playing with a full group of friends and want more challenge before beating the game then just don't upgrade your shields.

Decus fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 30, 2016

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
how prevalent is animation lock in this game

because if there's one thing that annoyed me in mh, it's that

i wish there were more mh type games that mirrored dark soul's combat system

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Emalde posted:

What matchmaking? :v:

I've updated the second post with a short list of differences between the two titles, if anybody thinks something should be added/revised, let me know.

I can't believe you failed to mention the ability to go full anime mode in 2. That was like the main thing that tipped me over into preordering rather than waiting for a sale.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

General Morden posted:

because if there's one thing that annoyed me in mh, it's that

i wish there were more mh type games that mirrored dark soul's combat system

:crossarms:

Are you saying dark souls doesn't have animation locking?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

General Morden posted:

practically nonexistent, it's one of the fundamental design points

Infinity Gaia posted:

I can't believe you failed to mention the ability to go full anime mode in 2. That was like the main thing that tipped me over into preordering rather than waiting for a sale.

ah poo poo i completely forgot about rage burst because it's a massive pain in the rear end, but thanks for the reminder

Emalde fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 30, 2016

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
i'm saying it's less apparent in dark souls than it is in mh

in mh it's somewhat jarring to me that when i do a standard aaa combo or a roll, there are fairly significant recovery frames where i'm not allowed to move or do anything until the animations play out

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
To answer my earlier question: the Vita load times are basically nonexistent. :toot:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

General Morden posted:

i'm saying it's less apparent in dark souls than it is in mh

in mh it's somewhat jarring to me that when i do a standard aaa combo or a roll, there are fairly significant recovery frames where i'm not allowed to move or do anything until the animations play out

Oh my bad, I misunderstood what you meant. That makes way more sense.

Dark Souls' animations are pretty compact compared to Monster Hunter. It's a lot easier to play proactively instead of reactively at first in Souls compared to MH.

Somehow I originally imagined a version of dark souls without animation locking and was wondering if you somehow confused dark souls with like devil may cry or something

Emalde
May 3, 2007

for people curious about early GE2 gameplay, streaming: https://www.twitch.tv/kojei1

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
ugh I have rage burst downloaded but I still have like 6 challenge missions and the predator pack to do in resurrection.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Either I'm missing something or they removed the gintama costumes but forgot to remove the email saying you've unlocked them. Apparently this is true of all the promotional costumes, most of which weren't even very promotional by the time rage burst existed.

Am salty if only because they forgot to remove the emails since man from the beginning I figured we weren't getting that stuff but then they teased me.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah we didn't get those.

Grimquestioner
Feb 15, 2010

SO GOOD
Anyone have some tips for some solid starting bullets? I looked around and there's a lot of recipes still listed from the previous games; I'm just looking for some decent starter bullet recipes for GER while I try to wrap my head around the crafting. Thanks!

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Grimquestioner posted:

Anyone have some tips for some solid starting bullets? I looked around and there's a lot of recipes still listed from the previous games; I'm just looking for some decent starter bullet recipes for GER while I try to wrap my head around the crafting. Thanks!

Any and all edited bullets that aren't just a single shot take a massive hit to efficiency in regards to OP spent/damage, which is why you don't see much. GE2:BR has the blood bullet thing which makes it significantly more relevant, and that is when you want to start messing with it.

Grimquestioner
Feb 15, 2010

SO GOOD
Gotcha, thanks!

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Do your companions gather from the glowing spots or defeated monsters?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

scissorman posted:

Do your companions gather from the glowing spots or defeated monsters?

No

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
So having just recently played through Burst, playing through Resurrection has been a joy in Quality of Life improvements, Story and Dialog improvements, and in general.... not being a psp game improvements.

I hope to have it knocked out within a month to go on and play Rage Burst.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Talkc posted:

So having just recently played through Burst, playing through Resurrection has been a joy in Quality of Life improvements, Story and Dialog improvements, and in general.... not being a psp game improvements.

I hope to have it knocked out within a month to go on and play Rage Burst.

If you've already played through Burst, you should start with Rage Burst because the UI is closer to the original PSP games. Resurrection isn't quite so radically different to warrant what amounts to a replay, even with additional content.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
I've started in on Resurrection, and from online articles it seems like more features from RB were ported back than not. What new things are left that I can look forward to in RB after Resurrection?

Edit: Whoops, should have re-read the OP

CommunityEdition fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 31, 2016

Emalde
May 3, 2007

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3781358&#post461513649

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Emalde posted:

If you've already played through Burst, you should start with Rage Burst because the UI is closer to the original PSP games. Resurrection isn't quite so radically different to warrant what amounts to a replay, even with additional content.

Well im playing through it with friends whove never played either. Also i genuinely enjoy the game enough to revisit it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
So I'm about a dozen missions in and I do like the game so far, but I feel like it's not telling me ANYTHING about the types of attacks I can do or functions of weapons. Considering the blatant tutorials I've been getting, and the EXCESS amount of available lore in the terminals and junk, I can't help but feel like I'm missing something.

Do I have to do what I did in Monster Hunter and just look up guides on how to wield weapons and junk?

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

Morter posted:

So I'm about a dozen missions in and I do like the game so far, but I feel like it's not telling me ANYTHING about the types of attacks I can do or functions of weapons. Considering the blatant tutorials I've been getting, and the EXCESS amount of available lore in the terminals and junk, I can't help but feel like I'm missing something.

Do I have to do what I did in Monster Hunter and just look up guides on how to wield weapons and junk?

There are tutorial videos for each weapon accessed through the big screen, to the right of the equipment vending machine. Have you watched those? That's how I found out about the spinny-death-attack for the scythe.

Any recommendations for a fun base sword type?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Morter posted:

You'll probably want to look up some guides for decent bullet-making since if I recall it could be pretty arcane.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

RossCo posted:

There are tutorial videos for each weapon accessed through the big screen, to the right of the equipment vending machine. Have you watched those? That's how I found out about the spinny-death-attack for the scythe.

Err, I'm playing God Eater: Resurrection.....so I don't see those? :( Terminals don't offer help on specific attacks and junk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

Morter posted:

Err, I'm playing God Eater: Resurrection.....so I don't see those? :( Terminals don't offer help on specific attacks and junk.

My bad, sorry, I was talking about 2RB.

• Locked thread