Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Ever think about that? If you turn around right now, I can give you about a 85% chance there's a spider back there. Make sure to look above your head, too. Don't you just hate that itchy feeling you get when you start thinking about spiders and a dust mote so much as lands on you?

One time I was taking a poo poo in an unfinished bathroom we were modeling and had a large, two-inch wide wolf spider run out from under the toilet seat and utilize my rear end cheeks as an expedient bridge to the other side of the seat. It somehow managed to avoid both my dangling sack and the crowning turd that was the sole thing preventing me from leaping up and sprinting screaming from the horrible caress of a creature on my most vulnerable of parts. The threat of 'butt spiders' became a running joke in our work crew after that. Always lift the seat first, friends.

Another time when I was about twelve I helped a relative clear out his storage unit after he got divorced. He hadn't been in there in months and the thing had been infested with hundreds of pholcid spiders. Every box I picked up would have spiders streaming off by strands of web, many holding engorged egg sacs in their jaws. The less pleasant experience were the ones who decided going up beat going down and used by arms as their path. By the end of the day I'd become so desensitized that I didn't even notice them crawling on my head unless they wandered onto my face.

What's your most memorable spider experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

i had a pet spider for like 13 years his name was fatboy and he was super mean to everyone but me

he died of complications from chronic kidney disease in september. he always used to purr and he'd run after treats when i threw them down the hallway

he was a good spider

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
wolf spiders have eyes that reflect light like cats do

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
SPIDER SUCKKKKK

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

spiders are good you idiot

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Some spiders love water

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ2YsTCygeE

Other spiders are much like goons

They're interesting.

I found out the reason why spiders lay so many eggs on average is because the ovaries of the female spider are loving huge.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

make sure you get your spiders from a reputable breeder, if you get a spider at petco you're probably supporting some lovely spider mill out in the country

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

pound for pound, spider silk is the strongest material there is. however it cant be farmed because the spiders always eat each other.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

i have a spider now and he always tries to eat my yogurt in the morning so i gotta spray him with a water bottle to keep him off the table

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Huh huh huh hu-uh huh
Huh huh huh hu-uh huh

So true funny how it seems
Always in time, but never in line for dreams
Head over heels when toe to toe
This is the sound of my soul,
This is the sound
I bought a ticket to the world,
But now I've come back again
Why do I find it hard to write the next line?
Oh I want the truth to be said

Huh huh huh hu-uh huh
I know this much is true
Huh huh huh hu-uh huh
I know this much is true

With a thrill in my head and a pill on my tongue
Dissolve the nerves that have just begun
Listening to Marvin (all night long)
This is the sound of my soul,
This is the sound
Always slipping from my hands,
Sand's a time of its own
Take your seaside arms and write the next line
Oh I want the truth to be known

Huh huh huh hu-uh huh
I know this much is true
Huh huh huh hu-uh huh
I know this much is true

I bought a ticket to the world,
But now I've come back again
Why do I find it hard to write the next line?
Oh I want the truth to be said

Huh huh huh hu-uh huh
I know this much is true
Huh huh huh hu-uh huh
I know this much is true

This much is true

This much is true
This much is true
I know, I know, I know this much is true
This much is true
This much is true
This much is true (huh huh)
This much is true
I know this much is true
This much is true (I know this much is true)
This much is true (I know this much is true)
I know, I know, I know this much is true

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Nooner posted:

SPIDER SUCKKKKK

This is true since they lack the mouthparts to eat any other way.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Business Gorillas posted:

make sure you get your spiders from a reputable breeder, if you get a spider at petco you're probably supporting some lovely spider mill out in the country

The concept of a spider mill is the worst poo poo ever

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

BeefThief posted:

pound for pound, spider silk is the strongest material there is. however it cant be farmed because the spiders always eat each other.

Spiders also eat their own silk.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Some spiders do nothing. Other spiders are the super speed crack cocaine addicts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgUnRRep5YQ

Others take no poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_OCaxRolBc

Also some people have played with the genes of spiders and insects, they found out both can have the wrong appendages grow where the appendages shouldn't grow, like legs growing in the place of fruit fly antennae and walking legs in the place of fangs. Very interesting read if you can follow along the genetics.

http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/282/1808/20150698

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Spiders eat bugs, so that's okay, I guess. I'm kinda used to seeing them at this point and don't really get creeped out anymore.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
spiders can suck poo poo directly from my rear end in a top hat

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

Sometimes fantasizing about a giant spider eating me in a sexy way helps me sleep at night.

Degenerate Star
Oct 27, 2005
unlikely

EorayMel posted:

Also some people have played with the genes of spiders and insects, they found out both can have the wrong appendages grow where the appendages shouldn't grow, like legs growing in the place of fruit fly antennae and walking legs in the place of fangs. Very interesting read if you can follow along the genetics.

http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/282/1808/20150698

And this is exactly the sort of poo poo that is going to get us all eaten by giant mutant spiderflies.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx

Acid Haze posted:

Spiders also eat their own silk.

yah but only to conserve their chi

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I saw a tarantula while I was working out in the desert the other day and I seriously thought about killing myself to get away from it, spiders are the worst

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

BeefThief posted:

I think we should genetically engineer spiders who can live in large colonies and work together and learn and adapt and are also as big as cats.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They should just breed them with those gross bag worm things. Those seems as strong as webs.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
when i was a small child billions of black widoes lived in the wood pile so you had to wear gloves to get wood for the furnace or else youd get bit and your dick would fall off

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Op is right. gently caress spiders

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
counterpoint:

spiders are awesome op

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

EorayMel posted:

My nightmare of a bipedal spider with 8 sets of fangs can finally be realized.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Acid Haze posted:

My nightmare of a bipedal spider with 8 sets of fangs can finally be realized.

keep your weird sex poo poo out of this thread

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Iron Prince posted:

keep your weird sex poo poo out of this thread

aaaaaaactually I'd kinda like him to go on :mrgw:

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
I think it'd be better if we all tried to appreciate spiders without trying to gently caress them.

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

Every night I walk through my gate after work and walk through a million spider webs and just pray for death but it never comes and the webs continue to attach to my skin and trail behind me flowing with the wind like ghost tendrils and the spiders sit in the trees haunting me laughing silently watching with their 8000 eyes and then i dream a giant apider takes me on its back and we fly away to bali and then im surfing in the ocean and maybe a whale meets me and now i have a new friend :) good night!

naem
May 29, 2011

I got addicted to watching bugs eat each other on YouTube even with the corny sound effects, p good

https://youtu.be/Ed_st3z0kXo

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

From the article for those too lazy to read it

You can make certain appendages grow in the place of others depending on the genes you play with. More legs for all!

Bonus spider embryo:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Spiders are very important for the Eco system and pest control.

If you have lots of flies and Mosquitos and pests and then you see some spiders making webs in the vicinity, they are there to help you out.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
there is a really big jumping spider that lives in the stairwell of the floor below me. seems pretty chill

this is a v. cool spider

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

EorayMel posted:

Bonus spider embryo:

ew its kind of cute

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Just release mantises into your house. Problem solved.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i was camping up in northern minnesota, sharing a tent with a couple friends, woke up early one morning and there was a huge wolf spider sewing her egg sac onto the sleeping bag of the guy next to me, a couple inches from my face. i dont normally mind spiders that much but that is an unpleasant way to wake up.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
every person eats 7 spiders each year, mostly during sleep. I find it easier to just get them out of the way all at once, and eat my seven on New Year's, and wash 'em down with a big glass of Tang (I don't drink).

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
man animals like right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

don't go to australia. humans never should have settled in a place with such horrible awful spiders

• Locked thread