Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.

I'm payin all my tithes receiving bad news
Lord forgive me for my sins I know this cash rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Someday self driving cars' protective algorithms will be sophisticated and foresighted enough to protect their passengers from emotional and financial harm as well as physical danger.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
The majestic return of the zeppelin is closely followed by the majestic return of massive amounts of hydrogen combusting.

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.

I know the devil is real, I know the devil is real
I take a dose of them pills and I get real low in the feels

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mozi posted:

The majestic return of the zeppelin is closely followed by the majestic return of massive amounts of hydrogen combusting.

Self-driving zeppelins will have systems in place to prevent hydrogen explosions.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
2040: man finally puts a self driving car on the moon.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The self-driving car implanted in your brain will keep you safe at all times.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
'Freedom Fries' take over the world as the hot new food craze.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
HuffPo 2045: "How I stopped worrying and shared my wife with my self-driving car."

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
After the self-driving car, there will be self-driving-car gloves that robotically drive any non-self-driving-car.

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.

chaosbreather posted:

im so sick of that bullshit autocar morality question

an autocar - or a human - that is driving morally will drive to ensure their total stopping time remains shorter than the distance to any unknowable obstacle. hitting anything is impossible, thats the entire point of these things.

also utilitarianism is fundamentally flawed

What about if the brakes fail?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I hope in the future that fyad thing were you post twice or more and pretend like the last posting didn't happen goes out of fashion.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Like this.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

jiggerypokery posted:

I hope in the future that fyad thing were you post twice or more and pretend like the last posting didn't happen goes out of fashion.

Yeah well in the future I'm still gonna do it.

A: because it allows for a type of comedic pacing that can't be achieved with bullet points.

And B: because lol if you think I'm going to wait for some slowpoke to post first when I have an idea right now.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Premeditated Toast posted:

What about if the brakes fail?

Why would it slam perpendicular into a wall killing the passenger instead of just narrowly missing the pedestrian in question? Also does that ever really happen outside of movies?

Ultimately of course there is a chance you will die because of computer gently caress up. The risk is never 0% - but the risk is much lower with computers than with human drivers.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

notZaar posted:

In the future roaming gangs of assholes will jump out of front of self driving cars to make them run off the road and murder the passengers.

no you rube thats the small game. the real money is in doing this on the highway to the automated transport trucks full of precious commodities :twisted:

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

they should have sent a poet

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
anyway everyone relax, we're in safe hands

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Rutibex posted:

no you rube thats the small game. the real money is in doing this on the highway to the automated transport trucks full of precious commodities :twisted:

Automated trucks will be programmed to run pedestrians over, in order to save time, fuel, and most importantly, money.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
After all this automation, what will people do?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

interwhat posted:

I'm gonna open up a repair shop.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

interwhat posted:

collect basic wage and masturbate

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

interwhat posted:

Post on GBS.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

chaosbreather posted:

im so sick of that bullshit autocar morality question

an autocar - or a human - that is driving morally will drive to ensure their total stopping time remains shorter than the distance to any unknowable obstacle. hitting anything is impossible, thats the entire point of these things.

also utilitarianism is fundamentally flawed

Right. Exactly. It's shortsighted and frankly loving embarrassing of the person who genuinely thinks auto cars would "decide" anything. Besides, it's a bullshit simplification of what it does.

It doesn't blink. Sees 360*. It doesn't only have control of the steering and accelerator and brakes, it has control of traction, ABS, nearly unlimited transmission ratios through CVT, and a bunch of other sensors and poo poo we couldn't keep in mind. Auto pilot systems that are available already blow people out of the water

If the brakes fail it would probably know before. If it was instant, it could react by engine braking or shutting it off, glancing against a barrier would dissipate plenty of energy and not head on accelerate into a brick wall

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 29, 2016

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

The Protagonist posted:

collect basic wage and masturbate

Dreddout posted:

Post on GBS.

The future is now!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Affordable, self driving cars that never get into accidents have been around for centuries. They're called trains :smug:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Applewhite posted:

Affordable, self driving cars that never get into accidents have been around for centuries. They're called trains :smug:

Uhm, hmm, mmmm

Trains aren't self driving.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

pffft

how much is Big Steam paying you Applewhite

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Clipperton posted:

pffft

how much is Big Steam paying you Applewhite

What!! Preposterous!

*Makes hasty escape in new steam-powered buggy*

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Applewhite posted:

*Makes hasty escape in new steam-powered velocipede*

ftfy

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Right. Exactly. It's shortsighted and frankly loving embarrassing of the person who genuinely thinks auto cars would "decide" anything. Besides, it's a bullshit simplification of what it does.

It doesn't blink. Sees 360*. It doesn't only have control of the steering and accelerator and brakes, it has control of traction, ABS, nearly unlimited transmission ratios through CVT, and a bunch of other sensors and poo poo we couldn't keep in mind. Auto pilot systems that are available already blow people out of the water

If the brakes fail it would probably know before. If it was instant, it could react by engine braking or shutting it off, glancing against a barrier would dissipate plenty of energy and not head on accelerate into a brick wall

exactly. anyone will be able to cross the freeways of the future at any point. the cars just will flow around them like they're in a bubble floating through water, despite the cars going three times the speed. no more accidents or even roadkill. there won't be lanes or traffic lights or even roundabouts, just open stretches of road. viewed from above, cars will flow and flock rather than follow. a malfunctioning car will be detected a hundred times by other cars and reported before it can ever be an issue. oral sex will be so common in cars that most seats will be designed specifically for it.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

owning a car will be as uncommon as owning your own server hardware is now, cars-as-a-service, and will be directly from the manufacturers themselves, totally vertically integrated. you won't have an uber app, you'll have a ford app and a mazda app and a ferarri app, earning loyalty points. cars will have eink bodies allowing you to change their colour at any time, if you pay. most of the surface of every car will be advertising space, using persistence of vision to build up 'floating billboards' between multiple cars since they will be moving too fast most of the time for pedestrians to read.

cars will know when you fart thanks to smell sensors. if you poo poo in them they will publish the video to youtube and tag you so your coworkers and family sees, and it will charge you for the cleaning. if you listen to music or watch movies or read in them, the cameras will detect what it is and add it your profile, which the car manufacturer will sell. it will be super cheap and fast, though.

teenagers would treat someone describing owning a car and driving it every day like they were saying they owned one outfit and wore it every day. they would be weirded out that they couldn't spend McBux to change the colour of the car to suit their mood. they wouldn't viscerally understand how fast 120 km/h was because they would never encounter speedometers or speed limits, but if they did they would be wonder how anyone got anywhere in time before they died. describing to them the freedom that driving your own car gives you, despite the cost in human life, would be like an old person describing to you how cool slavery was.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Self-walking shoes will steer people out of danger automatically so no one will ever have to look up from their smartphones while walking from place to place.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

call the boys in the lab

we've done it

self-driving bicycles

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Self-mobile houses will roam the country, eliminating the need to leave the house, put on clothes or even get out of bed.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Applewhite posted:

What!! Preposterous!

*Makes hasty escape in new steam-powered buggy*

Can you even imagine how stupidly dangerous it would be to have a pressurized tank of scorching hot steam on a personal vehicle?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

notZaar posted:

Can you even imagine how stupidly dangerous it would be to have a pressurized tank of scorching hot steam on a personal vehicle?

It's a non issue if the vehicles are self driving and never collide or have accidents.

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

TheMostFrench posted:

So I just read this article about whether a self driving car should save the largest number of people in an accident even if the passenger would die.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a21492/the-self-driving-dilemma/

They are literally posing the trolley problem to a trolley.

Dr Cheeto posted:

I can't wait for self-loving dildoes

For all those vets that got all their body holes blown off in pointless wars before the pointless robot wars.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Still a pretty big risk for turning cars into what is essentially a bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

notZaar posted:

Still a pretty big risk for turning cars into what is essentially a bomb.

You're not gonna like my C4 based alternative fuel idea...

• Locked thread