Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
I gotta be honest, I have no idea what the gently caress you are doing, V. I've got Romans up my butthole with 10 cards to even the remote possibility of winter, I'm not actually any kind of threat. And you're taking time to come bother me, rather than, I dunno, marching on Provincia and trying to overthrow Rome or something.

I mean drat, V. You're the best ally Rome's ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I need more allies/citadels, and I need more territory to rally if I want a chance at taking on that huge blob with the Legions in it. Just taking Provincia isn't going to do that for me.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

qq more mrs at-my-victory-margin

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Uhm, excuse you Caesar. This is a family discussion about how to best murder you. Shoo.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Plus you go after me, I'm forced to deal with the immediate threat and that leaves her free to run rampant all over the place while you waste my time getting yourself killed

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Pretty tired, update tomorrow.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Current Map:

Available Forces:
Romans: 7 Auxilia, 3 Forts, 6 Allies
Arverni: 9 Warbands, 5 Allies, 3 Citadels, Aquitani
Aedui: 4 Warbands, 4 Allies, Baggage Trains
Belgae: 3 Warbands, 1 Allies, 1 Citadel
Germanic: 13 Warbands, 2 Allies

Current Card: Gobannitio Card 16/64
Unshaded: Remove anything at Gergovia. Place a Roman Ally or Aedui Ally or Citadel there (despite Arverni-only stacking).
Shaded: Arverni may remove and place Allies as desired in Arverni Region, then free Rally within 1 Region of Vercingetorix.

Next Card: Joined Ranks Card 17/64
Unshaded: Executing Faction may free March a group of up to 8 pieces to a Region that already has at least 2 other Gallic and/or Roman Factions. The executing Faction, then a 2nd player Faction, may each free Battle there against a 3rd Faction. In the 1st Battle, no retreat allowed.
19th to early 20th century German historian Hans Delbruk argued that Roman military advantage rested not so much in tactical prowess as the logistical ability and social conditions to keep forces massed into armies longer than barbarian opponents. Even Roman armies in Gaul sometimes had to be divided for a variety of reasons making them vulnerable (as for the Legions in their 54 to 53 BC winter camps, or between Gergovia and the Aedui revolt in 52) occasionally a timely juncture of assembled allies for or against the Roman might grant victory.

This was the concept of Commius and his Celtic co-commanders as they marched to Vercingetorix a final decisive juncture against Caesar: "they all set out for Alesia eager and full of confidence. Not a single one of them believed it would be possible to withstand even the sight of such a mighty host, especially as the battle would be fought on two fronts. For at the moment when this vast army of horse and foot came into view from outside there was to be a sortie from the town. It nearly worked".

Situation:
With the help of a fleet provided by the Aquitani and Volcae, the warbands allied to Vercingetorix make their way towards the lands of the Veneti, while Vercingetorix goes himself to entreat the Pictones and Santones. Meanwhile, even more Aquitani pour into the lands of Celtica as another mighty army is gathered in the lands of the Arverni. Vercingetorix has not met the Romans in combat yet, but he knows that he will soon have to if he is to make Celtica free again, for only with the Legions gone will all Gauls rally to his cause.

Action Queue:
-- homullus: 1st Eligible

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Current Map:

Action Queue:
-- homullus: 1st Eligible
:eyepop::eyepop::eyepop:
Assuming that map is correct, Suborn the 3 Arverni warbands in Pictones, then Battle in the same location.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

You can't suborn and battle.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tekopo posted:

You can't suborn and battle.

Whew. That was too crazy. Yeah, for some reason I was thinking it was "any command."

Suborn the three warbands in Pictones, then free March 2 warbands from Bituriges to Pictones, and 2 from Bituriges to Arverni.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also, even if it did work, he could retreat and take no losses.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Also, even if it did work, he could retreat and take no losses.

Losses taken before Retreat is declared, though? Edit: Unless you meant it was possible he could survive the losses, then that makes sense, and but it would have been worth the risk.

Edit 2: Nevermind. Clearly my mind has not been on this game recently.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Current Map:

Available Forces:
Romans: 7 Auxilia, 3 Forts, 6 Allies
Arverni: 12 Warbands, 5 Allies, 3 Citadels, Aquitani

Situation:
With vast resources available, and seeing Vercingetorix currently only protected by unreliable Aquitani horsemen, agents from the Aedui manage to suborn many of the Aquitani horsemen within the Pictones region to leave Vercingetorix with only his elite personal guard. At the same time, Aedui warbands bolster their forces within the region, while also moving towards the Arverni regions to the south. Has Vercingetorix stumbled into a Roman-planned trap? Is his uncle, Gobannitio, somehow involved?

Action Queue:
-- StashAugustine: 2nd Eligible

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Rally Ally into Provincia

e: Actually Sequani if no one minds the change

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 20, 2016

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Current Map:

Available Forces:
Romans: 7 Auxilia, 3 Forts, 5 Allies
Arverni: 12 Warbands, 5 Allies, 3 Citadels, Aquitani

Current Card: Joined Ranks Card 17/64
Unshaded: Executing Faction may free March a group of up to 8 pieces to a Region that already has at least 2 other Gallic and/or Roman Factions. The executing Faction, then a 2nd player Faction, may each free Battle there against a 3rd Faction. In the 1st Battle, no retreat allowed.

Next Card: Impetuosity Card 18/64
Unshaded: Free March into 1 Region from any adjacent. Either Arverni or Belgae in that Region free Battle against you.
Shaded: Free Martch 1 group of your Hidden Warbands (no Leader). That group then may free Battle (alone).
While the supposed warlike nature of Rome's enemies could be fearsome, it also could be exploited. Vercingetorix struggled throughout the Great Revolt against interference in his careful strategy by an over-eagerness of his warriors to strike the enemy directly and immediately. As he explained to his chieftains in defending his guidance during an absence from part of the Celtic army, "It was by deliberate policy that he had not entrusted the supreme command to another man on his departure, to prevent popular pressure forcing anyone into fighting - and he could see that they were all lacking in resolution and wanted to engage only because they could no longer bear this degree of hardship."

By the end of the Gallic wars, even the Belgae seem to have learned from the Roman army's deliberate style, however. In the 51BC campaign, upon hearing from prisoners what his Bellovaci-led enemies intended, "Caesar judged that the strategy being proposed was very cautious and far removed from the rash haste characteristic of barbarians."

Situation:
Caesar, wanting to stabilise his line of supply further, approaches the leaders of the Sequani tribe and with bounteous supplies of grain, enacts an alliance with them. It is clear that with an ally at his back willing to provide Auxilia and helping to clear his lines to Provincia, the next winter will be an easier proposition than the last.

Action Queue:
-- Gutter Owl: 1st Eligible

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Pass.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Well at least that absolves me of trying to figure out if I wanted to be stupid and fire the event

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Well at least that absolves me of trying to figure out if I wanted to be stupid and fire the event

Unless I pass (edit: and the necessary events happen such that you could do the event).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

COOL CORN is up then.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Op + SA

March 2 units from Carnutes to Biturges, and 4 to Mandubii
March Vercingetorix from Pictones to Biturges
March all units from Veneti to Carnutes
March 4 units from Arverni to Provincia

Entreat in Mandubii
Entreat in Arverni

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Current Map:

Available Forces:
Arverni: 10 Warbands, 5 Allies, 3 Citadels, Aquitani
Aedui: 6 Warbands, 4 Allies, Baggage Trains

Current Card: Impetuosity Card 18/64
Unshaded: Free March into 1 Region from any adjacent. Either Arverni or Belgae in that Region free Battle against you.
Shaded: Free Martch 1 group of your Hidden Warbands (no Leader). That group then may free Battle (alone).

Next Card: Pompey Card 19/64
Unshaded: If Adulation, place 1 Legion in Provincia. If not, shift the Senate 1 box down (toward Adulation).
Shaded: If the Legions track has 4 or fewer Legions, Romans remove 2 Legions to the Legions track.
Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus allied with Caesar during the latter's emergence and was very much the senior partner when they formed the first triumvirate with wealthy Roman Marcus Crassus. Pompey took frowing umbrage at Caesar's rise in prominence and eventually became his enemy and rallied senators against him. By 51BC, the rivalry was open. "Pompey's friends" promulgated a decree forcing Caesar to send two legions to Italy, where Pompey would command them, ostensibly for a proposed Eastern Campaign.

Situation:
Arverni forces are on the march throughout Gaul, with Vercingetorix managing to escape the Aedui warbands in the lands of the Pictones, only to come as the head of his own warband, this time threatening the relatively unprotected citadel of Avaricum. Forces also march into the lands of the Mandubii as a show of force in order to force the hands of the tribes in the region and get them to join the revolt against Caesar. To that end, some warbands allied to the Aedui are entreated to join the Arverni, which they readily do, the alliance of Gauls being rather fickle in the face of bribery.

Action Queue:
-- Gutter Owl: 1st Eligible

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Time to refresh the coffers.

Maximum Raid in all six provinces I'm in. Take from the Aedui where possible, from the land otherwise. Should be +11 me, -4 Aedui if I've done my math correctly. No special ability.

I'd love to raid the Romans, but those stupid goddamn forts are everywhere.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Current Map:

Available Forces:

Situation:
Seeing their supplies dwindle, all through Celtica and Belgica the lands are devastated by a series of lightning raids, both taking from unaffiliated tribes and merchants, but mostly from the Aedui. The grain supply for the Belgae is now quite sizeable, and certain to last them until winter.

Action Queue:
-- homullus: 2nd Eligible

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Action Queue:
-- homullus: 2nd Eligible

Edit: forgot it was Limited, just a sec.

Raid in Mandubii (both warbands), taking from Arverni.

homullus fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 22, 2016

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Current Map:

Available Forces:

Current Card: Pompey Card 19/64
Unshaded: If Adulation, place 1 Legion in Provincia. If not, shift the Senate 1 box down (toward Adulation).
Shaded: If the Legions track has 4 or fewer Legions, Romans remove 2 Legions to the Legions track.

Next Card: Dumnorix Loyalists Card 20/64
Unshaded: Replace any 4 Warbands with Auxilia or Aedui Warbands. They free Scout (as if Auxilia).
Shaded: Replace any 3 Auxilia or Aedui Warbands total with any Warbands. They all free Raid.
Dumnorix the Aeduan - brother of Caesar loyalist Diviciacus but unlike him "eager for revolution" (as Caesar put it) - sought upon the Caesar's 54BC follow-up Britannia expedition to sow distrust of Rome and rob Caesar of the ostensible allied Aeduan cavalry. Dumnorix years before had been discovered a lead conspirator in the Helvetian invasion, but Caesar had spared him for Diviciacus's sake. This time, Caesar postponed sailing in order to hunt Dumnorix down, have him killed, and thereby prevent for good the spread across Gaul of what he termed "Dumnorix's madness". Regardless of this alacrity and thoroughness, it would be far from the last of Caesar's troubles with shifty Aeduans.

Situation:
The Aedui, trying to recoup their losses from the Belgic raids, perform raids of their own, this time targeting the grain-poor tribes allied to the Arverni. It is clear that without the necessary grain to fuel his campaign, Vercingetorix will likely be forced to make raids of his own.

Action Queue:
-- StashAugustine: 1st Eligible

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Battle Treverii and Sequani, no SA to block event

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Both against Belgae?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Current Map:

Available Forces:
Romans: 7 Auxilia, 2 Forts, 5 Allies
Belgae: 7 Warbands, 3 Allies, 1 Citadel

Situation:
The Roman army in the lands of the Treveri finally finally strike out, catching the Belgae warbands that had been previously scouting them by surprising and managing to scatter them. A brief campaign against the Helvetii also manages to subdue them and stop them from providing aid to the Belgae. Where will Caesar strike next?

Action Queue:
-- COOL CORN: 1st Eligible

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

CC: I will be pulling my troops back to deal with you. This delays me from dealing with GO, who is the one that's pretty much one good March away from winning. You get jack poo poo out of this other than distracting me- there's no way you can actually take out a Legion and I can wipe the floor with you in a straight fight.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

StashAugustine posted:

CC: I will be pulling my troops back to deal with you. This delays me from dealing with GO, who is the one that's pretty much one good March away from winning. You get jack poo poo out of this other than distracting me- there's no way you can actually take out a Legion and I can wipe the floor with you in a straight fight.

ok.

But, if the Belgae would agree to a non-aggression pact with the Great Vercingetorix, I'd be more in favor of them winning than the Romans expanding.

Tekopo posted:

-- COOL CORN: 1st Eligible

Aren't I 2nd eligible, with 1st having played an op only? Just want to make sure I'm on the same page here before I play.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It's 2nd Eligible, yes

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

But, if the Belgae would agree to a non-aggression pact with the Great Vercingetorix, I'd be more in favor of them winning

no prizes for second place; you win or you die

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

StashAugustine posted:

no prizes for second place; you win or you die

Yet alliances win together, while Caesar dies.

Gutter Owl - shall we ally?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

No they don't you win by backstabbing your allies the second they're past their usefulness

(don't worry homullus, we're still chill for a while)

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

No they don't you win by backstabbing your allies the second they're past their usefulness

(don't worry homullus, we're still chill for a while)

The peace-loving Aedui do not believe they have anything to fear from the mighty Caesar. We are but humble traders whose only ambition is to bring Roman goods to the cultural desert of Gaul.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

COOL CORN: are you seriously going to kingmake at this stage in the game?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Good grief, I thought that the Belgae/Arverni and Aedui/Romans were opposite "sides" a la ARVN/US and VC/NVA in Fire in the Lake.

But okay, sure, every man for himself. LimOp rally in Carnutes.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 22, 2016

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Well, I mean even if you are playing FitL, although there are two nominal sides, it's still every person for himself. I played a game of FitL where someone gave the win to the US because he was ARVN and 'on the same side', and it kind of spoiled the game. It's incredibly easy to give one side the win, especially in this COIN, and especially with Belgae, which are by far the easiest side to win with in Falling Sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

Well, I mean even if you are playing FitL, although there are two nominal sides, it's still every person for himself. I played a game of FitL where someone gave the win to the US because he was ARVN and 'on the same side', and it kind of spoiled the game. It's incredibly easy to give one side the win, especially in this COIN, and especially with Belgae, which are by far the easiest side to win with in Falling Sky.

Fair point. Sorry for the attempted kingmaking.

• Locked thread