Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Current Map:

Available Forces:
Romans: 7 Auxilia, 2 Forts, 5 Allies
Arverni: 7 Warbands, 5 Allies, 3 Citadels, Aquitani
Aedui: 6 Warbands, 4 Allies, Baggage Trains
Belgae: 7 Warbands, 3 Allies, 1 Citadel
Germanic: 13 Warbands, 2 Allies

Current Card: Dumnorix Loyalists Card 20/64
Unshaded: Replace any 4 Warbands with Auxilia or Aedui Warbands. They free Scout (as if Auxilia).
Shaded: Replace any 3 Auxilia or Aedui Warbands total with any Warbands. They all free Raid.

Next Card: Mons Cevenna Card 21/64
Unshaded: Free March from a Region into an adjacent Region, both within 1 Region of Provincia. Then execute a free Command and free Special Ability (in any order) in (or from) the destination Region.
Caesar opened his 52BC campaign against Vercingetorix with a surprise mountain crossing out of Provincia. "The Cevennes mountains, which separate the Arverni from the Helvii, made the march difficult because of the very deep snow there in winter. Even so, with great exertion the soldiers cleared away the snow to a depth of six feet, and opened up a way. Then Caesar made his way through the territory of the Arverni. They were caught off guard and unawares - for they thought that the Cervennes protected them like a wall, and at that time of year the paths had never been passable before."

Situation:
Rallying even more warbands, the war host of the Arverni is growing large, and eager to get to grips with the Roman foe..

Action Queue:
-- homullus: 1st Eligible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah it's not your fault, but at the same time while there are general 'sides' it's just who you're naturally allied with. Like I could backstab the Aedui but I can't take on all of Gaul at once and I need them to keep supply routes open while they know they can't put up with a full-fledged Roman incursion and want me to take down their rivals. Only one of us will win but we both know its in our best interests to keep the other one happy for as long as humanly possible. You obviously want to provoke me into a fight and cripple my resources but I'm (admittedly) trying to fast-talk you out of it because the Belgae are nearing victory and I'm really the only one equipped to deal with them. You have to weigh the chances of getting to hurt my momentum or resources vs the possibility of a Belgian win.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Action Queue:

Great Caesar, please concentrate on the Belgic menace; they represent the greatest threat to peace in our time. I shall fend off the wolves that nip at Provincia's fair flanks and vacate at the next wise moment.

Unshaded Event, exchanging the Arverni warbands in Provincia [edit: for Aedui warbands], then Scouting all the Arverni warbands in the Arverni region.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Do you want to keep one back in Provincia?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Do you want to keep one back in Provincia?

Oh, I see. Yes, it doesn't make sense to reveal them all when that overshoots the number of Arverni available.

homullus fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 22, 2016

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Current Map:

Available Forces:
Arverni: 11 Warbands, 5 Allies, 3 Citadels, Aquitani
Aedui: 2 Warbands, 4 Allies, Baggage Trains

Situation:
As the Arverni in Provincia are about to strike, it soon transpires that the entire army has been infiltrated by Aedui spies and informants and it quickly becomes clear that the leaders of the warbands have also been paid off by the innumerable riches of the Aedui. The leaders even report on the whereabouts of other Arverni warbands, information which is quickly sent forward to Caesar himself.

Action Queue:
-- Gutter Owl: 2nd Eligible

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 22, 2016

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

So, uhh, I know my turn is done, but if it's ok, I'd rather actually move all of them to Arverni. If anyone is against it, that's fine too. I . . . sort of forgot that Scout required them to move into Arverni.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

That's fine, I updated the map.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
March, no SA

2 revealed from Nervii to Sugambri
2 revealed from Morini to Sugambri
3 revealed from Atrebates to Morini
1 revealed from Britannia to Morini
2 revealed from Veneti to Atrebates
1 revealed in place in Veneti

Flip all to hidden.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Current Map:

Available Forces:

Victory Conditions:
Romans: 10 Subdued/Dispersed/Allied (16+ Needed)
Arverni: 4 Off-Map Legions (7+ Needed) and 5 Allies (9+ Needed)
Aedui: 4 Allies (Belgae have 7 Allies)
Belgae: 16 Control/Allies (16+ Needed)

Current Card: Mons Cevenna Card 21/64
Unshaded: Free March from a Region into an adjacent Region, both within 1 Region of Provincia. Then execute a free Command and free Special Ability (in any order) in (or from) the destination Region.

Next Card: Boii Card 22/64
Unshaded: Aedui or Romans place 2 Allies and 2 Warbands or Auxilia at or adjacent to Aedui Control.
Shaded: At or adjacent to Arverni Control, replace 1 or 2 Aedui Allies (not Citadels) with Arverni Allies.
The Boii were remnants of a once-powerful Celtic people who had joined the ill-fated 58BC attempt at relocation by the Helvetii, Caesar reaettled them on Aedui territory and under their protection, at the Aedui's border with rival tribes such as the Bituriges and Arverni. At a moment of some Roman suspicion of Aedui loyalty, Vercingetorix besieged the Boii stronghold of Gorgobina while Caesar was campaigning to the north. Caesar "feared that once a people subject to the Aedui had been defeated the whole of Gaul would desert him, in view of the fact that he had no protection to offer his friends." Caesar's messengers bid the Boii to resist, and so they did until Vercingetorix had to lift his siege.

Situation:
Making incursions in the lands of the Germanic tribes, the Belgae return their scattered warbands to strengthen their holdings within the lands of the Morini and Atrebates. It is clear that they are waiting for the Roman armies down south to make a move, but will Caesar oblige them in this regard? Summer is soon to end, how much time will be left for a campaign?

Action Queue:
-- StashAugustine: 1st Eligible

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jul 24, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

March all but 1 Aux Treveri-Atrebates
March 2 Aux Sequani-Treveri
Build fort+remove Ally Atrebates

e: we only have 4 cards til the ~danger zone~ correct?

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 24, 2016

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yes, only 4 cards, update tonight.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Current Map:

Available Forces:
Romans: 7 Auxilia, 1 Fort, 5 Allies

Victory Conditions:
Romans: 11 Subdued/Dispersed/Allied (16+ Needed)
Aedui: 4 Allies (Belgae have 6 Allies)
Belgae: 12 Control/Allies (16+ Needed)

Situation:
Once again, the mighty Roman army is on the move, and this time it is moving back into Belgae proper, in order to crush Ambiorix once and for all. A fort is immediately set up in order to protect the Roman forces, and once again this is enough to make the Atrebates renounce their allegiance, much like the Sequani did before. Caesar, clearly, is generous with his allies, and vengeful against his enemies.

Action Queue:
-- COOL CORN: 2nd Eligible

SpellingError
May 7, 2014
Scripsit Romae Id. Oct. an. L. Domitius Cn. f. Ahenobarbus et Ap. Claudius Ap. f. Pulcher cos

(Written in Rome on the first of October in the year Lucius Domitius Ahenobarbus, Son of Cnaeus, and Appius Claudius Pulcher, Son of Appius, were consuls)

Marcus Quinto fratrem salutem.

My dear brother Quintus, I hope this letter finds you well. I have already sent a copy of this letter last month, so perhaps you will have already received it. If not, the messenger must have gotten lost or ambushed again. If yes, then please write.

I know you are very busy serving on Caesar’s staff, but remember to take the time now and then and write to your family. We have not heard from you for almost eight weeks now and with the rumours about tribes of barbarians being restless and making trouble, everybody is starting to get worried about you. I’m sure all is well and it’s the optimates and You-know-who who are behind the most gruesome speculations about what’s happening in Gaul. Still, it would be most settling to read from your hand accounts of what is actually happening.

Terentia and my dear Tullia send their regards, as do Tiro, Atticus and the others. Please let us know where you will spend the winter, so that arrangements may be made, if you chose to come home. Enclosed is a letter for Caesar. Please make sure he receives it.

Take care.

(From: Ciceros Letters to his brother Quintus – The Correspondence during the Gallic War. Last known copy lost during the Sack of Constantinople 1204 a.d.)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Pass, I need the resources.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

Pass, I need the resources.

Raid is way more efficient

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Current Map:

Available Forces:

Victory Conditions:

Current Card: Boii Card 22/64
Unshaded: Aedui or Romans place 2 Allies and 2 Warbands or Auxilia at or adjacent to Aedui Control.
Shaded: At or adjacent to Arverni Control, replace 1 or 2 Aedui Allies (not Citadels) with Arverni Allies.

Next Card: Germanic Horse Card 23/64
Unshaded: Romans may inflict 1 Loss per Auxilia (not 1/2) in 1 Region per Battle Command (Capability).
Shaded: If Gallic, take this card. Each Battle Command, you double enemy's Losses in 1 Region unless Defender with Fort/Citadel.
The threat in Belgica from the tough and numerous Germanic Cavalry was a repeated Roman concern. During the Great Revolt, Caesar too relied on Germanic cavalry, mainly because he had to find an alternative when most of the Gauls rose against him, depriving him of cavalry while giving Vercingetorix, Commius, and Vercassivellaunus a massive cavalry superiority.

Caesar appears to have had strong respect for the capacities of the horsemen themselves if not their mounts: "Caesar...sent across the Rhine into Germany, to the peoples which he had subdued in previous years, and demanded from them cavalry...When they arrived the horses they were using were hardly suitable, so Caesar took the horses of the military tribunes and the rest of the Roman knights and veterans, and distributed them amongst the Germans."

Even if Germanic cavalry could for the most part not offset the Gallic superiority in that branch, the Germans proved vital to victory over Vercingetorix's mounted Gauls from Gergovia onward, and were still in action with Caesar the following year against the Belgian Correus.

Action Queue:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Action Queue:

March (Command only):
From Pictones, 2 warbands to Veneti, 2 warbands to Bituriges
From Arverni, 5 warbands to Bituriges
From Aedui, 5 warbands to Mandubii
From Treveri, 1 warband to Atrebates

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Also, other one in Mandubii march in place.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Current Map:

Available Forces:

Victory Conditions:

Situation:
Wanting to protect Avaricum, Aedui warbands pull back from the lands of the Pictones while simultaneously protecting their Namnetes allies and also the Bituriges. They also move in force into the lands of the Mandubii, goading the Arverni-loyal Gauls into a fight.

Action Queue:
-- Gutter Owl: 2nd Eligible

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Pass.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 27, 2016

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Action Queue:
-- COOL CORN: 2nd Eligible

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Wait. We're on Boii, right? Shouldn't Corn have been eligible ahead of me?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Oh yeah, my mistake!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeahhhh Boiiiiii

Gonna take the event, replace allies in Pictones and Veneti.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Can't take the event, Aedui didn't do special activity.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also I made the exact same joke when I saw that card.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Whoops, I saw "shouldn't Corn be eligible before me" and thought I was first eligible.

LimCommand rally to place ally in Mandubii

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Also I made the exact same joke when I saw that card.

Boii is likely a three-syllable word in Latin.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Boius, Boii

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
HIC VENIT DAT BOIUS

(o poo poo quid novi)

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
:munch: Nerds.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Germanic Horse is one of the best Capabilities for Ambiorix. This looks like one of the worst turns for Ambiorix to pass on doing Commands. :munch:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Current Map:

Available Forces:
Arverni: 11 Warbands, 4 Allies, 3 Citadels, Aquitani

Victory Conditions:
Aedui: 4 Allies (Belgae/Arverni have 6 Allies)

Current Card: Germanic Horse Card 23/64
Unshaded: Romans may inflict 1 Loss per Auxilia (not 1/2) in 1 Region per Battle Command (Capability).
Shaded: If Gallic, take this card. Each Battle Command, you double enemy's Losses in 1 Region unless Defender with Fort/Citadel. (Capability)

Next Card: Massed Gallic Archers Card 24/64
Unshaded: Arverni Battle each Region inflicts 1 fewer Defender Loss (before any halving). (Capability)
Shaded: At start of Battles with 6 or more Arverni Warbands, the other side first must absorb 1 extra Loss. (Capability)
"Vercingetorix...gave orders for all archers (for Gaul has an enormous number of these) to be mustered and sent to him. By these means he quickly made up the numbers lost at Avaricum." At Gergovia, the incessant hail of these archers' missiles onto the Roman ramparts wore down the legionaries and set the stage for the Caesar's repulse in the main battle.

Situation:
The Mandubii finally join the Arverni, having seen the mighty warbands they have managed to gather. It is clear that all Gaul is now taking sides, but who will become victorious?

Action Queue:
-- Gutter Owl: 1st Eligible

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

March!

Flip 2 in Veneti to drive out the Aedui.

1 from Atrebates to Veneti.
All others (incl Ambiorix) from Atrebates to Treveri.

1 from Morini to Sugambri.

2 from Sugambri to Ubii.

EDIT: Changed my mind. Added Rampage.

EDIT 2: Wait, no that's dumb. March only, no ramp.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 28, 2016

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Current Map:

Available Forces:
Arverni: 11 Warbands, 4 Allies, 3 Citadels, Aquitani

Victory Conditions:
Aedui: 4 Allies (Belgae/Arverni have 6 Allies)

Current Card: Germanic Horse Card 23/64
Shaded: If Gallic, take this card. Each Battle Command, you double enemy's Losses in 1 Region unless Defender with Fort/Citadel. (Capability)

Next Card: Massed Gallic Archers Card 24/64
Unshaded: Arverni Battle each Region inflicts 1 fewer Defender Loss (before any halving). (Capability)
Shaded: At start of Battles with 6 or more Arverni Warbands, the other side first must absorb 1 extra Loss. (Capability)
"Vercingetorix...gave orders for all archers (for Gaul has an enormous number of these) to be mustered and sent to him. By these means he quickly made up the numbers lost at Avaricum." At Gergovia, the incessant hail of these archers' missiles onto the Roman ramparts wore down the legionaries and set the stage for the Caesar's repulse in the main battle.

Situation:
Knowing that he cannot face the Roman armies head on, Ambiorix instead elects to strike at the supply lines of the Romans, going south using the vast forests in order to not be caught by the Romans. The supply lines are relatively undefended: will this force the Romans to turn south?

Action Queue:
-- StashAugustine: 2nd Eligible

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Wait, hold up a sec. Can I take back the rampage? I had a brain fart.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I didn't even notice the rampage, so the update is correct. Stash, carry on.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

March all but 2 Aux Atrebates-Treveri

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtwJvgPJ9xw

• Locked thread