Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Current Map:

Available Forces:
Romans: 7 Auxilia, 1 Fort, 5 Allies
Arverni: 11 Warbands, 4 Allies, 3 Citadels, Aquitani
Aedui: 2 Warbands, 4 Allies, Baggage Trains
Belgae: 7 Warbands, 3 Allies, 1 Citadel
Germanic: 13 Warbands, 2 Allies

Victory Conditions:
Romans: 10 Subdued/Dispersed/Allied (16+ Needed)
Arverni: 4 Off-Map Legions (7+ Needed) and 6 Allies (9+ Needed)
Aedui: 4 Allies (Belgae/Arverni have 6 Allies)
Belgae: 12 Control/Allies (16+ Needed)

Current Card: Massed Gallic Archers Card 24/64
Unshaded: Arverni Battle each Region inflicts 1 fewer Defender Loss (before any halving). (Capability)
Shaded: At start of Battles with 6 or more Arverni Warbands, the other side first must absorb 1 extra Loss. (Capability)

Next Card: Catuvolcus Card 25/64
Unshaded: Remove 1 or more Allied Tribes of the same Faction in the Nervii Region and 5 Warbands there.
Shaded: Place Belgic Allies at Nervii and Eburones, replacing any Allies or Dispersed there. Add +6 Belgic Resources.
Catuvolcus was an elderly king who ruled the Eburones jointly with Ambiorix and helped instigate the Belgae's anti-Roman revolt. As Ambiorix made his escape from Roman reprisal, Catuvolcus "could not endure the effort of either war or exile, and denounced Ambiorix with curses for initiating the plot. Then he killed himself by eating from the yew, a tree which is very widespread in Gaul and Germany."

Situation:
Caesar, seeing the danger to his supply lines made by the move from Ambiorix, quickly races south, wanting to secure his lines of supply before the rapidly approaching winter. It is clear to him now that Ambiorix won't fight against the fully assembled might of the Roman army, and getting him to fight in the forests of Belgae will not be an easy proposition.

Action Queue:
-- COOL CORN: 1st Eligible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Yo Corn. I don't know how much interest you have in this capability, but I could use a solid, and I'm willing to pay good for it.

If you pass, I promise I will fire the Catuvolcus event and IMMEDIATELY give you all six resources from it. (Important note, the event won't give me victory threshold, since I won't be able to control Nervii with the Germans around.) You'll still get a full command, you'll have your coffers set for a while, and maybe Ambiorix won't die horribly.

Interested?

EDIT: Nevermind. Rome will still have a chance if I take the event. Do as you like, brother.

EDIT 2: ...but if you were to pass and fire the shaded Catuvolcus event for me, I would be so grateful as to provide, say, 10 resources? (Remember, this will also push the senate towards Uproar, which can help you with your legion-killing goal.)

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 29, 2016

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Gutter Owl posted:

EDIT 2: ...but if you were to pass and fire the shaded Catuvolcus event for me, I would be so grateful as to provide, say, 10 resources? (Remember, this will also push the senate towards Uproar, which can help you with your legion-killing goal.)

Hm... that is a lot of resources, and I am nearly running on empty. That would pay for plenty of rallying/marching/battling. Let's see, I think you're right about not being able to get the win this Winter.

I'll take the pass.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

That puts the Belgae a rally away from victory and makes it less likely I can slap them down, especially since you'll be threatening victory too.

Why do you want the Belgae strong? If they have any room to recover they're practically guaranteed a win without the Romans breathing down their necks (Runkhe himself admitted the Romans have to keep Belgian tribes dispersed to keep them off victory.) If I'm dealing with them then any attempt you make to snipe my legions hands them a win. Plus if you don't do anything about the current situation the Aedui can just suborn your troops away and murder Vercingetorix at their leisure.

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 1, 2016

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

That puts the Belgae a rally away from victory and makes it less likely I can slap them down, especially since you'll be threatening victory too.

I have faith in great Caesar's ability to battle down Ambiorix.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

homullus posted:

I have faith in great Caesar's ability to battle down Ambiorix.

Shush, I'm fast talking here.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Shush, I'm fast talking here.

Indeed, perhaps great Caesar is right -- maybe Vercengetorix should be encouraged to march to Arverni, and with his gathered troops proceed to Provincia. Doubtless he would be harmless there.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

oh so that's how it is?

I'm farthest out from victory here, at this point I'm more dangerous militarily than politically. That said, if the Aedui have an alternate suggestion I'd be happy to let them talk.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

oh so that's how it is?

I'm farthest out from victory here, at this point I'm more dangerous militarily than politically. That said, if the Aedui have an alternate suggestion I'd be happy to let them talk.

Caesar will forever be more dangerous militarily than anyone else around. The Aedui believe they can contribute to keeping fierce Ambiorix in check, and will be more easily able to do so if Vercengetorix is . . . well, dead.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Well at this point it basically comes down to CC's move. Either way I think a leader is going to be in bad shape.

(As a general reminder to everyone there is an event per side that replaces a leader, but it's uncertain if they'll appear.)

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Well at this point it basically comes down to CC's move. Either way I think a leader is going to be in bad shape.

(As a general reminder to everyone there is an event per side that replaces a leader, but it's uncertain if they'll appear.)

Also, a removed leader is replaced with a weaker successor the following Spring, and that always happens.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah the leaders lose their special ability and can only affect their own space with a special activity

e: do we want to wait on CC to confirm his move and/or GO getting a word in?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I feel like with, what, 3 cards left before the ~*danger zone*~, Caesar and the Aedui can keep GO from victory.

The money is in my best interest right now.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

There's only 1 safe card left.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tekopo posted:

There's only 1 safe card left.

Does this change your mind, COOL CORN?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Oh, poo poo, I thought we were further away. In that case........

...sorry, my Belgic friend. I need another year.

Command only, march from Carnutes - 3 of them to Atrebates, 3 of them to Veneti. Don't want to leave that capability open for Aedui to take, it's too nasty.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Current Map:

Available Forces:

Victory Conditions:
Belgae: 10 Control/Allies (16+ Needed)

Current Card: Massed Gallic Archers Card 24/64
Unshaded: Arverni Battle each Region inflicts 1 fewer Defender Loss (before any halving). (Capability)
Shaded: At start of Battles with 6 or more Arverni Warbands, the other side first must absorb 1 extra Loss. (Capability)

Next Card: Catuvolcus Card 25/64
Unshaded: Remove 1 or more Allied Tribes of the same Faction in the Nervii Region and 5 Warbands there.
Shaded: Place Belgic Allies at Nervii and Eburones, replacing any Allies or Dispersed there. Add +6 Belgic Resources.
Catuvolcus was an elderly king who ruled the Eburones jointly with Ambiorix and helped instigate the Belgae's anti-Roman revolt. As Ambiorix made his escape from Roman reprisal, Catuvolcus "could not endure the effort of either war or exile, and denounced Ambiorix with curses for initiating the plot. Then he killed himself by eating from the yew, a tree which is very widespread in Gaul and Germany."

Situation:
The Arverni seem to move out: not against the Romans, but seemingly trying to infiltrate the land of the Belgae or their allies. It is clear that while Vercingetorix wants to strike against the Romans, he also does not want the Belgae to be too powerful.

Action Queue:
-- homullus: 2nd Eligible

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Action Queue:
-- homullus: 2nd Eligible

March from Bituriges: 2 to Pictones, 3 to Mandubii, 2 to Arverni.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siwpn14IE7E

Current Map:

Available Forces:

Victory Conditions:
Belgae: 10 Control/Allies (16+ Needed)

Current Card: Catuvolcus Card 25/64

Next Card: Druids Card 26/64
Unshaded: Select 1-3 Gallic Factions. In the initiative order above, each executes a free Limited Command that may add a free Special Activity. Become Eligible after this card.
Caesar appeared impressed with the level of Gallic social organisation under the druids: "They decide almost all disputes, both public and private...If there is a dispute over an inheritance or over territory, they decide the issue and settle the rewards and penalties. ...A chief druid rules over all the rest and has supreme authority among them." This organisation of justice gave the druids the potential to unify the otherwise quarrelsome Gallic chieftains.

Situation:
Seeing that, for now, Vercingetorix has not made any offensive action against the Aedui, the warbands that formed in the lands of the Bituriges disperse. Although this leaves Avaricum exposed, they expect the stout walls to drive back the meagre army of Vercingetorix currently in the area.

Action Queue:
-- Gutter Owl: 1st Eligible

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Aedui have 23 resources because I forgot about the capability.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

March.

Treveri --> 3 to Sequani. 4+Ambiorix to Atrebates.
Ubii --> 2 to Sequani
Sugumbri --> 3 to Ubii
Veneti --> 2 to Atrebates.

Enlist the Germans in Nervii to ambush the Roman fort.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Germans in Nervii would cause 0 losses: (1/2 + 1/2 )/2 = 1/2, round down to 0.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Tekopo posted:

Germans in Nervii would cause 0 losses: (1/2 + 1/2 )/2 = 1/2, round down to 0.

Right. I can math.

Enlist to march them into Treveri, then. Might as well get them off my property before they start getting squirrelly.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Current Map:

Available Forces:

Victory Conditions:
Belgae: 15 Control/Allies (16+ Needed)

Current Card: Catuvolcus Card 25/64

Next Card: Druids Card 26/64
Unshaded: Select 1-3 Gallic Factions. In the initiative order above, each executes a free Limited Command that may add a free Special Activity. Become Eligible after this card.
Caesar appeared impressed with the level of Gallic social organisation under the druids: "They decide almost all disputes, both public and private...If there is a dispute over an inheritance or over territory, they decide the issue and settle the rewards and penalties. ...A chief druid rules over all the rest and has supreme authority among them." This organisation of justice gave the druids the potential to unify the otherwise quarrelsome Gallic chieftains.

Situation:
Leading Caesar on a roundabout chase, Ambiorix sneaks back into the lands of the Atrebates once again, and sends warbands south into the lands of the Sequani in order to cut the supply links of Caesar once again. With winter approaching, can Caesar afford to have the Belgae cut his supply lines?

Action Queue:
-- StashAugustine: 2nd Eligible

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

3 legions 4 Auxilia Treveri-Sequani

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Current Map:

Available Forces:
Belgae: 7 Warbands, 4 Allies, 1 Citadel

Victory Conditions:
Belgae: 13 Control/Allies (16+ Needed)

Current Card: Druids Card 26/64

Next Card: Alaudae Card 27/64
Unshaded: Romans place 1 Legion and 1 Auxilia in a Roman Controlled Region.
Shaded: If the Legions has 7 or fewer Legions, remove 1 Legion to the track and 1 Auxilia to Available.
Caesar in 52 BC founded Legion V in Transalpine Gaul. The legion bore the name "Alaudae". "larks" in the Gallic tongue, probably for the frequent Gallic helmet crest of bird wings. It was Rome's first legion to be recruited among the Gauls in and beyond the Province and drew its pay from Caesar himself.

Situation:
Continuing the cat and mouse game, Caesar sends a part of his Legions and Auxilia to secure his route to the south, to ensure that grain can be carted up in the coming winter.

Action Queue:
-- homullus: 1st Eligible

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Action Queue:
-- homullus: 1st Eligible

The peace-loving Aedui choose the Event, and name only themselves as its object to stem the Belgic tide. Suborn the Belgic Ally and two Arverni warbands in Veneti, and Rally to place an Ally there.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

That puts the Aedui at 5 allies+citadels, to Belgae's 5, Averni's 6, and Rome's 1. If the Aedui Rally+Suborn in Mandubii, that'll put them 6 to 5/5/1, which is an Aedui victory.

Just a heads up.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Gutter Owl posted:

That puts the Aedui at 5 allies+citadels, to Belgae's 5, Averni's 6, and Rome's 1. If the Aedui Rally+Suborn in Mandubii, that'll put them 6 to 5/5/1, which is an Aedui victory.

Just a heads up.

Gaul's long national nightmare of peace and prosperity had to come to an end at some point I guess.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

One of the next five cards is winter too

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Current Map:

Available Forces:
Arverni: 13 Warbands, 4 Allies, 3 Citadels, Aquitani
Aedui: 2 Warbands, 3 Allies, Baggage Trains
Belgae: 7 Warbands, 5 Allies, 1 Citadel

Victory Conditions:
Aedui: 5 Allies (Arverni have 6 Allies)
Belgae: 12 Control/Allies (16+ Needed)

Current Card: Druids Card 26/64

Next Card: Alaudae Card 27/64
Unshaded: Romans place 1 Legion and 1 Auxilia in a Roman Controlled Region.
Shaded: If the Legions has 7 or fewer Legions, remove 1 Legion to the track and 1 Auxilia to Available.
Caesar in 52 BC founded Legion V in Transalpine Gaul. The legion bore the name "Alaudae". "larks" in the Gallic tongue, probably for the frequent Gallic helmet crest of bird wings. It was Rome's first legion to be recruited among the Gauls in and beyond the Province and drew its pay from Caesar himself.

Situation:
With their trading goods and grain supplies, it is easy for the Aedui to convince the Veneti to join their cause, removing their previous allegiance with a bounteous dispersal of wealth. Some Arverni warbands in the region are also dispersed to give the Aedui clear control over the region.

Action Queue:
-- COOL CORN: 2nd Eligible

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 4, 2016

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Current Map:

Action Queue:
-- COOL CORN: 2nd Eligible

It looks as though you charged me for those actions; per the card, they were free.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yep, sorry about that, disregard the position of the resources, it'll be reset next time.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Also Aedui are going to get a Limop on next card

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah, the token is just to mark what option is available, chill :v:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I was doing it as a reminder to the other two

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
When the card says "has 7 or fewer legions", does that mean on the board or in available?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

When the card says "has 7 or fewer legions", does that mean on the board or in available?

The card says "in the legions track", which is in the lower right of the board.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

man you have so many better things to do than take that event

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

man you have so many better things to do than take that event

COOL CORN, remember that your victory conditions rely on "more than 6 off-map legions." That would make it only 5 with winter imminent, and Caesar would likely get that one right back in Spring. I know the Aedui would be the target of some of your better things to do, but seriously, you have better things to do than that event.

• Locked thread