Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
gently caress the internet, pneumonet is the future. :staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Luvcow posted:

could save a lot of money and time with a really long string with cups at each end

Well we already have telegraph and fiber optic cables down there, this thread is for addressing the lack of physical transportation along the Atlantic ocean floor.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

just ray posted:

the tube is pressurized, much like a bathysphere.

I once knew a man who worked at a bathysphere factory.
His dad was gay, but he didn't care.

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx

notZaar posted:

Well we already have telegraph and fiber optic cables down there, this thread is for addressing the lack of physical transportation along the Atlantic ocean floor.

yes. documents and newspapers

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Popsicles and soda cans, too. I think it's time our Franco pals experienced the Monster brand of energy juice.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
The postal service can deliver live birds, I fail to see why the intercontinental pneumatic epistolary service can't meet the same guarantee

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I would tube a bunch of rabbits to Australia.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Maybe a gun where the bullet is hollow and carries a message. Then we shoot it across the ocean.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Germstore posted:

Maybe a gun where the bullet is hollow and carries a message. Then we shoot it across the ocean.

We've suffered enough East Coast/West Coast rap battle deaths.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Boomstick Quaid posted:

The postal service can deliver live birds, I fail to see why the intercontinental pneumatic epistolary service can't meet the same guarantee

The postal service can also ship beads but theres a whole lot of rules about it like how only the queen gets to travel by air.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I'm looking forward to dumping a bunch of beads down the intercontinental pneumatic tube. Wish I could see the look on the other end's face when they come spewing out at him, lol!

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Friendship bracelets for England, but the beads say S U C K M Y D I C K

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

i'd get elected president of north america just so i could rip the fattest poo poo into it ever

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

social vegan posted:

i'd get elected president of north america just so i could rip the fattest poo poo into it ever

This tube could finally suck the poo poo out of your rear end in a top hat, finally.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

i'd run on a social media campaign #greasethetube

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

notZaar posted:

This tube could finally suck the poo poo out of your rear end in a top hat, finally.

Ugh, think of the resulting prolapse.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
We have a flex tube at work, I'll post pics later along with suggestions for what to tube.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

you thought bp was bad just wait til some wop submarine cracks my transatlantic poo poo tube

naem
May 29, 2011

Applewhite posted:

I once knew a man who worked at a bathysphere factory.
His dad was gay, but he didn't care.

Sounds like he'll never be the head of a major corpitation

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
i used to work for Intercontinental Pneumatic Tube as an Extruder Die Fabricator but they fired me for being stoned all the time

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Augustus Gloop!?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

notZaar posted:

We first laid telegraph cable between England and the United States in the loving 1850s but some jack rear end on one end kept pulsing a high current through it until it failed a couple months later. First time we communicated across the ocean in less than ten days though.

Took twelve fuckin years to inspire people to lay another trans atlantic cable down. Mostly cause shorter length cables were being made and unloaded around Europe

We couldn't do the same for phones because the bandwidth was too high. We got a satellite into orbit before the first trans oceanic telephone cable went down. Fiber optics paved the way.

Alex bell invented fiber optics in the 1890s but there was nothing to really do with it for 60 years

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

We first laid telegraph cable between England and the United States in the loving 1850s but some jack rear end on one end kept pulsing a high current through it until it failed a couple months later. First time we communicated across the ocean in less than ten days though.

Took twelve fuckin years to inspire people to lay another trans atlantic cable down. Mostly cause shorter length cables were being made and unloaded around Europe

We couldn't do the same for phones because the bandwidth was too high. We got a satellite into orbit before the first trans oceanic telephone cable went down. Fiber optics paved the way.

Alex bell invented fiber optics in the 1890s but there was nothing to really do with it for 60 years

No you're mistaken fiber optics were developed from the technology salvaged from the Roswell UFO crash

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Boomstick Quaid posted:

No you're mistaken fiber optics were developed from the technology salvaged from the Roswell UFO crash

I love how we've not only salvaged so much technology from a spacefaring alien race but improved upon it. By now we're probably more advanced than the aliens were.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

just ray posted:

the tube is pressurized, much like a bathysphere.

nah you gotta draw a vacuum so that the "package" builds up enough momentum to explode the most spectacularly at the delivery end

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

VendaGoat posted:

Ugh, think of the resulting prolapse.

alien_resurrection_climax.gif

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Applewhite posted:

I love how we've not only salvaged so much technology from a spacefaring alien race but improved upon it. By now we're probably more advanced than the aliens were.

Are you taking into count the time dilation involved in traveling at near to sub light speeds? :smuggo:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

VendaGoat posted:

Are you taking into count the time dilation involved in traveling at near to sub light speeds? :smuggo:

poo poo, no.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

VendaGoat posted:

every speed is a sub light speed except light speed you nincompoop

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
At light speed an observer arrives at their destination instantaneously, almost as fast as a parcel delivered by pneumatic tube

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Parcels so fast, they arrive before they're sent!

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
Through rain, sleet, hail, or time

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Applewhite posted:

Parcels so fast, they arrive before they're sent!

I suppose I had better go on Amazon and start ordering all this stuff that has already showed up at my house. I'm not sure how they knew I needed all this defective boy band merchandise but I guess I do.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Through rain, sleet, hail, or time

Please do not Invite Kevin Costner to post

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
Russia wants to build a man sized tube through eurasia because they got Elon musked and now think that's the best thing ever

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
every time I say the name Elon musk I imagine some distant ancestor sniffing his own balls and getting branded with that last name forever

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
What about an intercontinental walking tube. Take the power out of the hands of the elite and let us walk wherever we want

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx

The Protagonist posted:

nah you gotta draw a vacuum so that the "package" builds up enough momentum to explode the most spectacularly at the delivery end

maybe they could try making the tube out of the black box material? im not a scientist, im an industrial engineer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx

Isaac posted:

What about an intercontinental walking tube. Take the power out of the hands of the elite and let us walk wherever we want

i personally wouldnt mind a nice stroll at the bottom of the oceans. if the budget allows.

• Locked thread