Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

do you have any commentary or is this thread unredeemable poo poo (like amd cards)

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Captain Foo posted:

do you have any commentary or is this thread unredeemable poo poo (like amd cards)

it's poo poo

but mostly that amd hyped the poo poo out of the 480 like some serious 1070 competitor for 200 bucks, lots of people sold their 970/390x in anticipation, card comes out and it has awful power/perf issues and can barely beat a stock 970 most of the time

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Amd is poo poo trash for poors

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

I said here a tonne of times it would probably be comparable to the 970, as did most of the speculation I read.

only thing that surprises me is it seems to draw more power? how is that possible at only 14nm?

edit: oh that's idle power consumption. what is the tdp under load?

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Millstone posted:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

triple sulk posted:

it's poo poo

but mostly that amd hyped the poo poo out of the 480 like some serious 1070 competitor for 200 bucks, lots of people sold their 970/390x in anticipation, card comes out and it has awful power/perf issues and can barely beat a stock 970 most of the time

yeah but anyone dumb enough to get rid of a generation-old card for an amd deserves what they get

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Lamo. Wrap it up

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

Looking at the overall performance picture, averaged across all of our games, the RX 480 lands a couple of percent ahead of NVIDIA’s popular GTX 970, and similarly ahead of AMD’s own Radeon R9 390, which is consistent with our performance expectations based on AMD’s earlier hints. RX 480 can't touch GTX 1070, which is some 50% faster, but then it's 67% more expensive as well.

Given the 970/390 similarities, from a price perspective this means that 970/390 performance has come down by around $90 since these cards were launched, from $329 to $239 for the more powerful RX 480 8GB. In the case of the AMD card power consumption is also down immensely as well, in essence offering Hawaii-like performance at around half of the power. However against the GTX 970 power consumption is a bit more of a mixed bag, and this is something to further address in our full review.

so it's a 4K / VR card for almost $100 less than the nearest nVidia card.

I might actually upgrade my PC now.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Millstone posted:

Lamo. Wrap it up

lower is better

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I was thinking about getting one to replace my three year old video card but apparently the stock ones are very loud so now I'll just forget about the whole thing for another year.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

better luck next time amd.

or

rip amd

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

triple sulk posted:

it's poo poo

but mostly that amd hyped the poo poo out of the 480 like some serious 1070 competitor for 200 bucks, lots of people sold their 970/390x in anticipation,

i seriously do not understand loving gamer consumerism

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

gotta have the newest gpu/android/ssd garbage pile that's gettin the blog hype, bro

the thing that makes me go :psyduck: is the people who want to play all their games in ultra high resolution. it seems like the worst cost/benefit ratio. i appreciate retina style displays for text and photos but with games i don't ever find myself stopping to appreciate how tiny the jaggies are

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

yeah its really really bad. having more thing = better than

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

my gtx 760 is getting a bit long in the tooth. gonna get a 1070 when they're actually possible to buy

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4qfwd4/rx480_fails_pcie_specification/

ayymd lmao

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

idgi, this new amd card seems like a pretty good buy at $200, which is the best price point to buy video cards

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

fart simpson posted:

idgi, this new amd card seems like a pretty good buy at $200, which is the best price point to buy video cards

assuming it doesnt blow up your motherboard/psu by drawing too much power through the pcie slot

other than that, yeah seems like decent performance for the price point. not like, mindblowing, but a solid option. it seems to be approximately equivalent to a 970 for ~$50 cheaper

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the 1060 is dropping on the 7th and it's probably gonna be more powerful for the same price or $20 more

burning swine
May 26, 2004

AMD fights the good fight, struggles hard, and manages to just barely break into the middle of the pack

last year's pack

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Someone do the needful and post the AMD cores graph pic.

And NVidia for life.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Arcsech posted:

assuming it doesnt blow up your motherboard/psu by drawing too much power through the pcie slot

other than that, yeah seems like decent performance for the price point. not like, mindblowing, but a solid option. it seems to be approximately equivalent to a 970 for ~$50 cheaper

the 970, iirc, only comes in 4GB as well.

and the 970 won't go in my ultra-low power PC without me getting a new power brick off eBay.

so it's a pretty good option for me but i might just sell my PC cause who has time to game.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

trilljester posted:

Someone do the needful and post the AMD cores graph pic.

And NVidia for life.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

triple sulk posted:

the 1060 is dropping on the 7th and it's probably gonna be more powerful for the same price or $20 more

hope so

i need a new card soon, im still using a 6850 (lol @ me), which actually runs doom at 45-60fps if i turn down all the settings and a use poo poo resolution

course doom is the only game ive played in a while that actually needs a good graphics card* so idk if its actually worth it

*: got dark souls 3 on ps4, fallout 4 looked hella dumb, never got into the witcher series, battlefield/cod are super not my thing... idk the overwatch beta was good i guess but i dunno

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Arcsech posted:

you have to include driver & compatibility annoyances though. maybe the former is better now than several years ago, and to be fair the latter is not strictly AMD's fault but a lot of games often have problems with amd cards. it used to be worth it to pony up a little bit more for nvidia cards even if numerical performance was equivalent.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Millstone posted:

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
Amazingly Mediocre Devices

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

so this is their marketing i guess

http://www.ncix.com/article/amd_RX480.htm

imitating communist revolution and 99%/occupy motifs and messages

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lmao

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol u amd bro

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

i like my 970 mainly because im back on the cool kids team (nvidia)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Getcha Gunnars on, Bitch

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUIyOOEWt6w

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
The Radeon 9800 Pro was pro. It was the 8800GT of its time.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
yeah, but i'm pretty sure that was still in the ati era

which would make sense since it was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

an AMD AMA on reddit re: the RX 480 is the #2 post in /r/all

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/4qfy9d/i_work_at_amd_the_time_has_come_to_ama_about/

"master race" PC gamers seem pretty psyched about a cost-saving card.

but really the "PC superiority" vs "console peasants" is some kind of cognitive dissonance. they act like they're wealthy and console gamers are poor, but make a comment saying you bought a GTX 980 at whatever the retail cost is and see what happens. you get 20 replies from people saying how much less they got it for and calling you stupid for not getting a refurb on black friday with a gift card from eBay and after a mail in rebate.

• Locked thread