Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Motherfucker, I forgot to tag it so it's a shitpost. It's oddly fitting I guess.

Welcome to my terribly run thread of Wake of the Ravager. It was made in 1994, came on a CD when I was 8, I played and sucked at it hard, couldn't even finish the first one. I am here to redeem myself... again.

Well, I beat the first one (requires archives) and now I'll be rolling through this one.

Again: Don't expect great work. Don't expect me to knock this out of the park easily. Expect me to die, forget to do things, and generally not know what things I am supposed to be doing. I'll get around to reading the manual sometime, but that time is not right now.

Things to expect: Bad jokes, swearing like a motherfucker, forgetting to save before big battles and then listening to me whine about it, and sound. That's right, SSLP's don't have sound. Sorry.

The intro to the game can be found here with sound and dialogue that is likely important: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3VLvdUmX58

Look at these graphics.

Yes, I am running this on Windows 98.

Holy poo poo this game looks awesome.

The door opens, a dragon sits in a chair and an evil looking guy enters.

He doesn't even look that evil.

Oh snap! I changed my mind!

The evil man leaves, and the dragon moves his playing piece as if he was a pawn in a greater scheme...

Then a group of heroes appears magically to oppose him! Who could that be?

So in my last LP of Shattered Lands I was told that I can right click on an object to look at the details and completely bork the game and make it unwinnable. I expect someone to tell me if and when that happens so I can reload the save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren::siren:I need to create 4 characters!:siren::siren:

I need names, races, classes, and maybe something else.

This is the character creation screen. I can be male or female unless noted:
Human
Dwarf
Elf
Half-Elf
Half-Giant
Halfing
Mul (male only)
Thri-Kreen (female only)

quote:

Humans

Humans are the predominant race on Athas. The average human male stands between 6 and 6 1/2 feet tall and weighs 180 to 200 pounds. Humans can be fighters, gladiators, rangers, preservers, clerics, druids, thieves, psionicists, and dual-classed.

Dwarves

Dwarves are short but extremely powerful. Athasian dwarves average 4 1/2 to 5 feet in height and tend to have a very large muscle mass — a full-grown dwarf weighs in the neighborhood of 200 pounds. Dwarves can live up to 250 years. By nature, dwarves are nonmagical and never cast spells. This restriction does not apply to dwarven clerics. Dwarves can be fighters, gladiators, clerics, thieves, psionicists, and multi-class characters.

Elves

Elves are a race of long-limbed sprinters given to theft, raiding, and warfare. An Athasian elf stands between 6 1/2 and 7 1/2 feet tall. They are slender, lean, and generally in terrific physical condition. An elf warrior is conditioned to run quickly over sandy and rocky terrain, some- times for days at a time — such a warrior can cross better than 50 miles per day. Elves use no beasts of burden for personal transportation. It is dishonor- able among elves to ride on an animal unless wounded and near death. Elves can be fighters, gladiators, rangers, preservers, clerics, thieves, psionicists, and multi-class characters.

Half-Elves

Half-elves are the result of the inter- mingling of human and elven soci- eties in the great cities of Athas. Half-elves are generally tall, standing between 6 and 6 1/2 feet. Due to their mixed heritage, half- elves are often unaccepted by both elves and humans. This intolerance leads them to be self-reliant, and able to survive without companionship. Half-elves can be fighters, gladiators, rangers, preservers, clerics, druids, thieves, psionicists, and multi-classed.

Half-Giants

Giants dominate many of the islands and coastal areas of the Sea of Silt. In some lost millennium, as a bizarre experiment or perhaps as some sort of curse, giants were magically cross- bred with humans. Half-giants are now fairly common. Half-giants stand between 10 and 12 feet tall, and weigh in the neighbor- hood of 1,600 pounds. Their features are human, but exaggerated. Half-giants can be fighters, gladiators, rangers, clerics, psionicists, and multi-classed.

Halflings

Muls

Muls are an incredibly tough cross- breed of humans and dwarves. They retain the height and cunning of their human parent, with the durability and raw strength of their dwarven parent. Muls are usually the products of the slave pits. Full-grown muls stand 6 to 6 1/2 feet tall and weigh 240 to 300 pounds. They have stern facial features, and most muls (male and female) have no hair or beard. Muls can be fighters, gladiators, clerics, thieves, psionicists, and multi-class characters.

Thri-kreen

Thri-kreen are the least “human” in appearance of all the races. Thri-kreen are insectoids — six- limbed creatures with tough, sandy- yellow exoskeletons. They stand as tall as 7 feet at the shoulder, have two large eyes, two antennae, and a small, powerful jaw. Thri-kreen make and use the chatkcha, a crystalline throwing wedge. The chatkcha can be thrown up to 90 yards and still return to the thrower if it misses the target. When it hits, the chatkcha inflicts 3 to 9 points of damage. Thri-kreen cannot use armor, cloaks, belts, boots, or rings due to their non-human shape. Thri-kreen can be fighters, gladiators, rangers, clerics, psionicists, and multi- class characters

Classes:

Fighters and Gladiators are universally known. The only difference is that Gladiators get a -1AC bonus at level 5. (Armor Class is what tells if I get hit or not by physical attacks)

Rangers can use anything Fighters and Gladiators can, but Rangers can also use two one-handed weapons with no penalty. At higher levels thicker armor interferes with their skills. They can gain some magic at level 8 and must pick an elemental sphere immediately.

Preservers: Some kind of mage I guess. Cast spells in harmony with nature... so druids maybe? Not much armor, not able to use many weapons.

Clerics: Worship one of the elemental spheres. Can cast spells within their sphere, and Sphere of Cosmos up to 3rd level. Can fight in melee, but not top notch. Wear any armor. Can turn undead, but looks like weapon choice is also all about their sphere of magic.

Druids: Apparently not clerics like I stated 2 seconds ago. Full access to their elemental sphere and the entire Sphere of Cosmos. Can use any weapons, but only magic armor. Cannot turn undead.

Thieves: Lockpickers, climbing cliffs (does this game have cliffs? The other one didn't.) Backstab ability, wear light armor and any weapon.

Psionicists: Clairvoyance, telepathy. Can fight, but use light armor and small weapons. The three psionic disciplines are psychokinesis, psychometabolism, and telepathy. Psychokinesis is physical manipulation of objects. Psychometabolism is enhancing ones own body. Telepathy is about defense and attacks of mental types.

https://ia800206.us.archive.org/9/items/Dark_Sun_Wake_of_The_Ravager_Manual/Dark_Sun_Wake_of_The_Ravager_Manual.pdf
Spell lists and whatnot start on page 40 of this manual.

Alignment:

Affects how NPCs and some items react to characters. Lawful good all the way to Chaotic Evil.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 29, 2016

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I vote for a Psionic Mul, a Half-Giant Gladiator, a Dwarven Cleric and a Human Druid

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
LG female half-giant gladiator named Dory, CG Thri-Kreen psionicist named Antwoman, CN male halfling thief named Little Prick, and a TN Mul cleric named Tin Can.

:v:

my dad fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 29, 2016

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I like the way you guys think.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Oh poo poo we can multi-class.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Preservers are just regular old mages like the ones in other DnD settings. They get called Preservers because other mages (Defilers) drain the life out of plants to fuel their magic.

That said:

Thri-kreen psionicist, human preserver, mul fighter, dwarf cleric.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Aren't defiler spells more potent because of their draining properties, or am I misremembering things? Anyway, here's my party suggestion:

1: Thri-Kreen Ranger, CG
2: Thri-Kreen Preserver, NG
3: Thri-Kreen Thief, CN
4: Thri-Kreen Psionicist, LG

Because the Thri-Kreen are cool and good :colbert:

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think Defilers gained levels faster and were able to cast more spells per day. Don't really remember the specifics tbh.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
I like to go with a four-element theme:
Half-Giant Water Ranger
Thri-kreen Fighter/Earth Druid/Psionicist
Half-Elf Fighter/Air Druid/Preserver
Mul Fighter/Fire Druid/Thief

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
It's been about 20 years since I tried to play this game, but from what I can recall...

Well, I hope some intrepid person's made a fix patch for the game, because I have doubts you're going to be able to make it to the end without running into something that will render the game unwinnable. I certainly never finished it myself~

My favorite was leaving a required dungeon and loading the party in under a tent and getting inescapably stuck, and reloading and trying again would just dump me back under that tent. I imagine there's probably a workaround or two now, but in the mid-90s that was pretty much it.

Unoriginal One fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 29, 2016

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Yeah, both this and Shattered Lands had at least one game breaking bug in them (Shattered Lands' is, thankfully, fixed afaik... Not that it matters, because the trigger for that one was "Deviate from the ideal plot-path in any way before the village of Ged"), and I don't think they caught them all, even to this day.

Anyways, my recs:

Half Giant Fighter/Water Cleric - Because you always want your Half Giant to be a frontliner. Extra kudos if you write them and their actions like a genuine Half-Giant (Half your alignment is fixed, the other half based on who most impressed you last update. :v: )
Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist - Because we need a good laugh about Psionics, and because I love Kreen enough to acknowledge they're a tadge squishy. Must speak at least some actual Kreen (You know you want to)
Half-Elf Preserver/Fire Druid/Thief - Just for a JOAT, really.
Elven Gladiator - Because Elves are bastards in Dark Sun.

Wishing you the best with it, Spermy, because although I finished Shattered Lands (gently caress that final battle), I never did finish this one. But I love them both, for all their flaws, because they're pretty much the only Dark Sun games out there, and the property got a better deal than Ravenloft and Eberron did...

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I have no idea, so let's throw out some random stuff that looks like it could work

Half-Giant Gladiator
Half-Elf Thief
Thri-Kreen Pscionisit/Cleric
Human Preserver

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I'm not really up on my 2E character classes in general or any of the Dark Sun specifics, but I do know one thing: if Antwoman is to be a party member she must be a Neutral Evil thri-keen gladiator/psionicist/thief yes I said thief because Antwoman and Petting Zoo stole our playoff spot in the latest DF arena challenge don't deny it you know it to be true!

Worker Cooperative was the better team Spermy!

Also toss in a halfling gladiator named Albrick who uses axes, and a mul cleric named Jimbo who uses hammers.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Can't have an evil PC in this game, otherwise I would have voted for an evil Little Prick.

In case you guys don't know what we're talking about, I encourage you to visit the Dwarf Fortress Arena Challenge thread.

my dad fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 30, 2016

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I'm voting mul gladiator, half-giant psionicist, thri-kreen air cleric, and because FATAL & Friends taught me what happens when you have thri-kreen and elves in the same party, elf preserver/thief.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I will be building characters in a few hours and taking ideas from everyone.

Half giant gladiator seems to be #1. I like the idea of some multiclass stuff so may do that.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
None of you guys agreed on much to be honest. There was a vote for half-elf Preserver/thief, plus Elf preserver-thief. That counted the same...

Here is your band of plucky heroes/heroines.

Dory, Half Giant Gladiator and resident tank.

Antwoman, Thri-Kreen Psion/Earth Druid. I don't even know. A single vote for Psion/xxxx in a three-way tie, so I rolled a dice and here we are.

Josie, half-elf Thief/Preserver because that is the only character that got more than 1 vote other than Dory.

And then Jameson, the Mul Fighter/Water Cleric.

The stats on these guys are absurdly high because this is Dark Sun. You don't get a 3d6 for stats, no that's dumb. You get 4d6+2 because it's survival of the fittest out here.

I did tweak Josies pre-rolled HP from loving 6 to 42. That was ridiculous. She could have gone to mid-60's.

Also the guide itself says "you may want to bump up hit points because you are going to be rolling 1's on level-ups which will gently caress you over. Starting hit points are very important."

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

To give folks some idea, Dark Sun also had a second character creation rule: Create four characters.

No, really. Create four characters, because you can guarantee one of them is going to die.

Also, as you might have guessed from the HP, Dark Sun characters always start at Level 3 or their equivalent. Minimum. Otherwise they'd just die right out of the gate.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Lets start and explore the town!

The loading screen, I'll never show this again.

Begin at what I'll later find out are the gates of the city to the south. A woman is crying to us for help. What did you see?

A nightmare, AAAAAAAHhhhhhh fireball out of nowhere. That dude on the left with the yellow turban shot her to death.

And then the guards all came out and began punching Josie, the weakest of the group.

Dory crumples one up top.

Turns out I'm a huge idiot here. I was looking at Antwomans spells and this one does the most damage.... for level 1. If I clicked on Level 1 down bottom it would turn to level 2, then level 3 where the powerful spells are. Antwoman does 3 damage, and I begin to hate myself for not just having 4 fighters.

Dory is the backbone here. Jameson has done well, but it's Dory getting multiple attacks that rule the day.

Cause light wounds? Man mages suck. What the hell was I thinking. Note: I am still on level 1 spells and haven't even looked at the Psionic attacks that do a bunch more damage.

Dory finishes the one in front of Josie (red hair) and then Josie gets a 24pt backstab on the next guy.

Wooooo experience!

Looting is tedious.

We took a beating. I equip some armor, getting a +4 Dragonsbane sword that goes to Dory. Sword on the left, and just above the mouse cursor it says what it is.

The woman died to get this note to someone, so I guess it's important.

The town. I am that dot dead center on the very bottom. After exploring I can explain what we have: Bottom right is an inn which we'll see. Above that is a tavern and one character we care about. Middle block is merchants. Top right is the templar base. Left of that is a couple characters like the guy in charge of the mines. Left of that is a private residence I didn't gently caress with yet.

Open are on the left-middle is another set of merchants. Bottom-left is super spooky.

The dude right next to me doesn't want any trouble.

He refuses to talk but then I find out he's the caravan master just in case I need to take a caravan anywhere...

So this is why bandits rule the streets. No king means no law and order.

I do things counterclockwise so I'm moving to the right when I find a beggar.

I give him all of my money (5000) and get 10,000 experience for Dory. That was well worth it. I wouldn't have given him anything normally, this was a happy accident. When I was changing equipment Antwoman had a 2d4+1 2-handed magic weapon. She's better off with two 1d8+1 swords, so I plan to sell that for a boatload of cash.

Bottom right is the inn. There is a girl there in a room but I don't bother her. Rooms cost $25 so I can't afford it since I just gave away all my money. I need to go find a merchant. I head north.

Is that a merchant in the building? Or a bartender? Either way, lets go find out.

Dory is accosted by the malcontents. Move along, Pup, or you might get hurt. Also note I haven't healed yet.

The scum call in backup in the shape of two half-giants from the north and the south.

Josie moved away, but then the top-enemy came down and punched her unconscious. Here she is sprawled out.

Jameson and Dory combine to take out one of the half giants. Antwoman heals Josie, then the others fall in less than one more round of combat.

We enter the inn. The bartender explains that the city is full of poo poo because there's no king. Lawlessness abounds.

The thieves guild ran underground to hide from the flood of refugees.

I end the conversation and switch to Josie the thief.

Whats this? A trapdoor down to the underground? The newcomers couldn't find this, but Josie did immediately! Experience gained for disarming a trap.

Heading north again I find a miner.

They won't let me join their club, but honestly I don't know why I'd want to go there anyway.

He tells me Arslan is over at the tavern attached to this building. Lets go!

The barkeep tells me Arslan is the red guy in the back room.

I don't bother telling him that I want to join the Veiled Alliance since I'm trying to be super secret. I will eventually, but I want to get a feel for the town first. I tell him I'm just a bystander.

He immediately asks me to do something for him.

I get experience and haven't even done anything yet.

Quest achieved.
  • Get paper showing templars doing bad things for Arslan

He then tells me that Fayina might be able to help me figure out some way to get in there... She's the girl in the tavern that I didn't talk to yet.
  • Talk to girl in Tavern, Fayina about robbing Templars.

This guy is a fount of knowledge. The Draxans are the ones invading the town. They seem organized.

I leave Arslan and head to the middle block to see the merchants.

It's worth $48 but they'll give me $24. You all know the drill... So I end up selling all the poo poo I don't need.

North of that is the Templar building. This girl is sitting outside the door.

Her poor brother :( If only a band of plucky heroes could find out what happened to him...

I keep walking and trigger the following conversation...

White: Guards? Alliance?
Blue: A ghost from a childrens tale. Everything's ready, my Master asks another favor.
White: The lord warrior has already done enough for your master.
Blue: It is very small, but it could affect the Lord Warriors plan. There is a Jann named Magnolia. She suspects my master.
***muffled for a bit***
White: Consider it done. Deliver the information to Zorani on the day of attack.
Blue: My master needs some of the money now.
White: None of it until the sultan is dead. Go now, it is not safe to talk here. We'll meet at the backup spot at the appointed time.

• Find out what the hell blue and white guy were talking about. Protect jann named Magnolia? Zorani getting information about an attack on sultan?

The "bad" merchants in the stalls buy my wares for a higher price than the two "normal" merchants. gently caress the normies.

This guy has heard of us. I enjoy money (seeing how I just gave all of mine away) so I hear him out.

• Find out what the hell blue and white guy were talking about. Protect jann named Magnolia? Zorani getting information about an attack on sultan?
  • Kill giant skeletons, recover skulls, get money from flashy merchant guy.

I told you bottom left was super spooky didn't I?

The tapestry weaver tells me helpful knowledge of where to find the jann. I may need to find Magnolia later, so I file it away.

Directly north of the merchants is this guy. I opened his door and he yelled at me. I left to go talk to Fayina in the bottom right.

Me picking Josie was a complete accident here. She's got the highest Charisma so I thought she'd help with the merchants. Turns out the thief likes the thief.

But before she can help me she needs my help. Tit for Tat. Back on the list it goes...

So I go to Acar's house up north. His butler lets me in.

He already knows my name, so he's probably powerful or at least connected.

Aha, I'm assuming he's a black market smuggler or something. Iron ore is a cover I expect.

I don't actually have this much money so I hope he'll work something out with me.

Boric is apparently the guy that kicked me out earlier.

I hand him the letter.

A quest completed, experience earned, no blood spilled.

And Fayina is off the hook. Now she can tell us about the Templars.

http://i.imgur.com/DiVum79.gifv
Here is an 18MB gif of the auto-walk thingy. I'm walking from one side of the map back to Fayina.

More experience for clearing her debt.

So now I can get in there without any problems. What the hell do I do when I get in there? Kill everyone?

She gives me a key to their storeroom that I can loot. Maybe I'll find something useful in there.

Since I have money, I decide to rent a room. I rest the night and heal.

It's right about now that I realized I can cast higher level spells. poo poo.

So, our to-do list looks like:
  • Rob templars storeroom.
  • Remember the ladder to underground in case I need to find some thieves.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 30, 2016

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

AAAAAAA, NOTAKU, YOU SCUMBAG!

For those who didn't play the first game, Notaku is an elf. He is a pretty elfy-elf, and, in Dark Sun, this isn't a compliment. Elves are speedy, poisonous, cheating motherfuckers who could give Ferengi a run for their money in the mercantile bullshit business. These folks would not only not sell your grandmother because they're already renting her back to you, they'd sell you an extended warranty, have the grandmother murdered, and then claim it was a breach of contract. Successfully, because they put it in the small print of the extended warranty. At which point you're now paying dead grandmother rent in perpetuity.

Notaku, in the first game, asked you to gather some poisons, sold you a Dire Scorpion that then turned on you the moment you were far away enough that it couldn't possibly be connected, and all but the last of his rewards were, compared to the task in question, garbage.

EDIT: Correction, it was a Mastyrial, specifically a Black one. I think you can see how the confusion arose.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

JamieTheD posted:

Notaku, in the first game, asked you to gather some poisons, sold you a Dire Scorpion that then turned on you the moment you were far away enough that it couldn't possibly be connected, and all but the last of his rewards were, compared to the task in question, garbage.

I played the last one through pretty completely about a year ago and I dont remember any of this. The scorpion that came with us just refused to leave the red lands and only did like 3 damage to the enemies. Pretty useless.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Spermy Smurf posted:

I played the last one through pretty completely about a year ago and I dont remember any of this. The scorpion that came with us just refused to leave the red lands and only did like 3 damage to the enemies. Pretty useless.

That's extremely odd, because I also played it through pretty completely (Last time was about a year and a half), and the thing turned on me, forcing me to kill it.

EDIT: Genuinely weirded out now, because my memory doesn't normally play such horrid tricks, only smaller ones. Either way, Notaku was in the last game, was, at least, a jerky elfy jerkface, and I still hate his smug grin. :argh:

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 30, 2016

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I have like 200 more images to go through. Soooo much text and I don't want to transcribe it all to cut down the images. I'll just post the important bits I guess. Some of them are 4 or 5 screenshots long of text about what I should do.

Also: A huge battle took place. It was one guy. What the gently caress.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I head north with list in tow to rob the Templars with the key I got.

I took a closer look at the statue. I have a feeling it will be a plot point.

I use the key on the door and move in to help myself to whatever they have.

The closet opens to a portal to another dimension!

Turns out there is a double-cross planned. Sorry about the huge images spanning a bit of text but I can't edit all 200 images to half-size just to save space :( Anyone have better ideas to get across major plot points like this? Maybe some random bullshit posts so the thread isn't 600 images on one page?

Josie leveled up. I've got to stop using Josie since I just checked and she's level 9/8 and the rest are 7/7.

The loot was a gem, a one-off scroll, and some other crap that I sold.

Jameson is a cleric, he turned undead and two died immediately. Antwoman punched the other one for 12 damage and it died.

The loot is a locked cabinet and a dry basin on the wall. This was dumb. Lets go return the skulls.

I ask him about another quest and Great Freyrs have been seen near the pyramid and need to be harvested for their teeth. I don't know what a Freyr is, nor do I know where the pyramid is so a little help would be great guys.

I wander for a bit. I can exit the city west toward the mountains, and I check up north....

Idiots.

I can't go north, but I get some crappy loot to sell.

I am near the templar base, so I knock and walk inside. No one bothers me, and now that the door is left wide open all sorts of pedestrians auto-walk through their fortress.

I go near something I can loot and hear voices through the wall...

The gist is: someone (guessing Templars) are saying "don't underestimate our power, we rule this city."

Someone else (guessing Draxa guys) say "don't gently caress this up, the Lord Warrior demands full obedience in the city. Also we're super strong so check yourself before you wreak yourself."

I ignore all that and continue looting. A note falls to the floor. A note from the super important Draxa leader. A note that he left in plain sight in the center of the Templar stronghold. Of course I read it.

Huh, so Lord Warrior is going to the Jann. I'm going to need to go there at some point. We all know by now that the Veiled Alliance is in a slapfight with the Templars. And the last part could mean anything. Throwing flower petals on the ground for him to walk on? Sweeping and making the place look nice? Killing the entire population? Who knows. It's too vague for me.

I found a stupid book and accidentally read it.

I tell the Head Templar that the Draxa are going to doublecross them. I didn't screencap the conversation, but it went like this:

Do you have proof?
Sorta, it's in the cabinet in the next room.
Well I'm forbidden from entering that room.
I'm not.
Ooooh, I get it! Ooops, i dropped the key. Let me turn my back for a moment.

Dory punched the creature. I didn't even see what kind of guardian it was. Notice the templar really did turn his back.

We find proof they are going to double-cross the templars.

I hand it over. The head Templar tells me to go through the tapestry-portal and tell the Draxa guy that he's messing with the wrong Templars.

I don't even know what I'm doing and I'm pulling in experience like it's my job.

In one portal...

And out the other into the midst of their meeting.

The Templars already heard about the double-cross so they just leave. I don't know how, I came right here...

Dory let Jameson get a couple punches in. Why the hell did I roll any mages at all? Useless. The highest spell is 36 points damage so far. Dory hits 4 times for 18-24.

Sweet, we got XP for that! Lets head down to Arslan with the proof!

Wahoo!

I tell him I'm ready to go, but first I ask him where it is because I have a feeling I won't be able to follow him.

Oh, I just cleared those skeletons from there. Happy coincidence!

He's fuggin fast

He could have told me that earlier. It's not like he needed to come here to tell me that.

Next time: We find the Veiled Alliance, steal anything not bolted down, and uhh find something else to do maybe?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
  • Kill Freyrs near pyramid. Where the poo poo is the pyramid?

Matthias greets us and asks for info on the Draxa/Templar slapfight.

And then goes on to say that it would be a tragedy because the city can't handle any more bullshit.

He tells me to talk to someone. I do. I also walk around and pick up all 15 chests and bags to beef up my storage capability. Dory is currently playing pack mule to nothing but chests.

It's a big place down here...

This is the spymaster. Her contacts have warned that people are asking about a crew of plucky heroes. It might be us, might not. Lets not read too much into it.

On a completely different note: Was I retarded when I was 10? I couldn't figure this poo poo out back then. It's completely straightforward right? I must have been eating paint chips or something.

• Talk to merchant chick.

I explore. These are no-name characters. There used to be a bag in the room on the left too. It's mine now.

I find the druid of water. She's a healer.

And then she tells me it's the water that heals. So what is it you say you do here, lady?

2 bags, 3 chests, some money. All mine.

There is a meeting down here that I interrupt.

I'll save you 20 screenshots. This chick is basically sick of hiding. She wants to reveal the alliance (She calls it Divulgence) and it's mages to the public. The public hates mages because the entirety of Dark Sun was torn to poo poo by bad mages (defilers?) and everyone hunts down and kills any mage they find. She asks me if it's a good idea. I say "Gotta go. Later."

I steal some more chests from every other room and then head up north to find this guy. He's a mage of some kind, there are 2 tapestry-portals in 2 rooms near each other.

He hands me a necklace that gives me 1AC. Then rambles about nonsense until I leave.

Both tapestry-portals reek of Psurlons. Those are the sucker-face things I fought at the end of the last Dark Sun playthrough I think. Maybe?

I leave because there's no one else to talk to.

God damnit.
  • Go back down and talk to the girl I already talked to.

WE NEED TO FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT.

Me: Ok.

Ok. Where are they?

Where and what the gently caress is that?

:negative:

• Go back up and talk to the merchant just I talked to 9 seconds ago.

Aha! An old templar knows where it is.

Great. A dead templar knows where it is.

She hands me a piece of paper that tells the templars butler that I'm cool.

He's a dick until I hand it to him.

Cool. I'm gonna go find the way to get in there.

In her inventory is the key that I found. It's the square rock.

I think I know where it goes...

I go to sell stuff and learn all about the thieves guild. I havent visited them, haven't gone outside of the city to the west toward the mountains, haven't taken a caravan to check on the jann Magnolia, and now I can enter a pyramid to kill guys.

:siren:What do I do?:siren:

• Talk to girl in Tavern, Fayina, about robbing Templars.
  • Find out what the hell blue and white guy were talking about. Protect jann named Magnolia? Zorani getting information about an attack on sultan? Take caravan? :siren:
  • Remember the ladder to underground in case I need to find some thieves. :siren:
  • Get the book in the templars locked cabinet by the pet thing.
  • Go back up and talk to the merchant just I talked to 9 seconds ago.
  • Enter the underground part of the pyramid with key.:siren:
  • Go west toward the mountains out of the city? :siren:

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 30, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Tags. [/s] =/= [s]

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

my dad posted:

Tags. [/s] =/= [s]

I miss one stupid tag... and then I copy/paste it 4 times.

All set now.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
One of the reasons why fighting types tear it up here is that good metal is rare in this setting, so ACs tend to be pretty abysmal all around without magic getting involved. I'd comment on casters, but it's been so long since I've played this game that I can't really recall much, other than that they're quite a bit different than, say, Baldur's Gate and other 2nd ed casters.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
If it's desert it must be pyramids.

Also do you ever get XP that isn't divisible by 1000? I realize the system at the time demanded giant numbers too, but after a while it breaks my "that was a lot" meter.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
So thats a vote for caravan to meet the Jann?

Josie got 500xp for finding the trapped entrance to the thieves guild in the first update...

Will post screenshots of the characters with XP in the morning.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Yeah, go hit up the pyramids and kill the Freyr - I'm curious as to what they are

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

So Dory is a level 8 Gladiator now. She has rolled 1 for HP every single level. From 102 to 110 in 8 levels. Ugh. At this point I should have jacked up Josies a lot more at the start.

Antwoman is a Level 7 Psionic and Level 9 Druid. She went from 51 to 70HP.

Josie is a level 9 thief, level 8 preserver. She went from 42 to 54HP.

Jameson is a level 7 fighter, 7 cleric. 82 to 89HP. So he also rolled 1 for every single level of HP gain.

Random my rear end, they're capping my tanks for fucks sake! I should have jacked them the gently caress up to 150 or something instead of leaving them alone.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I'm doubleposting because I think we should be on a new page. That's a lot of images for one page of the thread already. Another 200 might make people scream.

So we've received something in the ballpark of 200,000XP for every character. The dual-class characters show only about 100k each but Dory shows the full 220,000XP.

In that time we've killed:

The first 4 enemies when we first started.
3 Skeletons
Two thieves, two half giants
4 more thieves
1 creature that I don't know defending the Draxa journal
1 Draxa guy

That's it right? Insane XP for killing 16 people and 1 creature. I guess the game gives XP for roleplaying and finding solutions (accidentally) that don't involve murdering everyone.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Spermy Smurf posted:

So Dory is a level 8 Gladiator now. She has rolled 1 for HP every single level. From 102 to 110 in 8 levels. Ugh. At this point I should have jacked up Josies a lot more at the start.

This is a higher-level campaign than the previous game, so newly rolled characters start out level 6~7. That's actually 8 HP in 1 level.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
It did seem to me like the xp gains were insane but what do I know?

Is there a quest journal in this one? I've been reading your lp of the first one and you mentioned there was no quest journal which seems bonkers.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Gabriel Pope posted:

This is a higher-level campaign than the previous game, so newly rolled characters start out level 6~7. That's actually 8 HP in 1 level.

Hey smartypants, if I wanted to be corrected I would have asked.

That being said: I am an idiot and you are correct.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
:allears: I love this. My dad wouldn't let me play this game when I was a tender 8 year old. (I wasn't allowed to play the old Warcraft: Orcs & Humans game either.)

The sprite work for this game is actually pretty good from what the screenshots show. It looks a little better than Shattered Lands (but that one was originally a rushed release, if I recall right). I know a lot of people are fatigued of 2D spritework in modern titles, but I really admire the style, and it's cool to see work that inspired a real, living legacy.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
You still shouldn't be allow to play Warcraft. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

my dad posted:

You still shouldn't be allow to play Warcraft. :colbert:

:eyepop:

• Locked thread