Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
My lgs had like 15 of each new thing. I went thinking I'd grab a card pack if they had it, and left with two different battleboxes for factions I don't play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Hot take: I think the Circle Satyr beasts are interesting options in MK 3. In particular, I think you nerds are wrong about the Shadowhorn; in MK 3 it got three interesting buffs:

(1) beatback
(2) chain attack throw
(3) the general back strike changes

If you throw in one of our many MAT fixers, then you have a 12pt beast with MAT 10 capable of jumping behind someone and sending them 9-10'' towards your lines (4-5'' beatback and a 5'' throw). You'll probably be leaving the Shadowhorn out in the open, but you've also enabled a potential 2 for 1 piece trade on a 12pt beast. That's not bad! It might even be good!

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Paint swim trunks on him and replace his spiky hurty ball with a nice beach ball.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Thinking of giving this a try:

Mercenary Army - 75 / 75 points

http://conflictchamber.com/#b61beSbEbxbxbxc5bPbQbQevbUe_9S

(Ossrum 1) General Ossrum [+28]
- Ghordson Driller [10]
- Grundback Gunner [6]
- Grundback Gunner [6]
- Grundback Gunner [6]
- Sylys Wyshnalyrr, The Seeker [4]
Horgenhold Forge Guard (max) [16]
Horgenhold Artillery Corps [6]
Horgenhold Artillery Corps [6]
Dahlia Hallyr [17]
- Skarath
Thor Steinhammer [4]
- Ghordson Avalancher [17]
Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor [5]

Snipe goes on the Avalancher, bullet dodger on Skarath, and FFE gets hot swapped between the two artillery units and/or Skarath. I'm not totally sold on Sylys, but on turns where you don't want to swap FFE, the focus he saves gives you the ability to cast any 2 of his 2 focus spells (or maybe just casting energizer + fully loading a driller). If I drop the elf, I'd probably grab hunters mark elf and (maaaaaaaaybe) turn Orin into epic angry elf; free charges and a boosted threat range pairs nicely with the feat, and disrupting knocked down targets is funny. The list has a healthy mix of melee and ranged, and can move surprisingly quickly under the feat and energizer.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
They're a lot like Idrians. I like them w/ any Circle caster that needs either a self sufficient infantry unit (the Kayas or maybe Kromac 2?), or can toss out debuffs.

Does Hog Wild work with Dig In? That would be nice :allears:

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Hungerford posted the cards for Holden in a thread on the main forums, but their dumb software won't let me view the dang things. Anyone have a screencap or something?

http://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?259549-Crossroads-of-Courage-Season-One-rules-now-available&p=3649331&viewfull=1#post3649331

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

rydiafan posted:

Protectorate Army - 75 / 75 points

(Amon 1) High Allegiant Amon Ad-Raza [+29]
- Crusader [10]
- Crusader [10]
- Crusader [10]
- Crusader [10]
- Crusader [10]
- Crusader [10]
- Crusader [10]
- Crusader [10]
Deliverer Sunburst Crew [5]
Deliverer Sunburst Crew [5]
Vassal of Menoth [3]
Vassal of Menoth [3]
Choir of Menoth (min) [4]
Choir of Menoth (min) [4]

Local guy runs this. gently caress this.

O.o

That's a jerk list for jerks (but probably a lot of fun to play).

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Iceclaw posted:

If I wanted to dip into Skorne because I like their obsidian statues guys and want to run a list around them, would I be a madman?

They're better than archidons

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
I want to know how the internal faction balance got so all over the place. How did the same group of designers produce the new Mercenaries and Minions, and then also the new Skorne and Circle? It's bizarre.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

lokipunk posted:

Waiting now for balance before buying fully into a new faction, minions or circle I dunno.

Minions. Definitely minions.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
I can't wait to buy these models and then become absurdly frustrated at the detail overload!

(but yay Fiora 3!)

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Amateur Sketch posted:

Yeah, the main benefit of Incite is all after your activation. She probably only wants to cast it on a big assassination run, since it's over half her focus stack. That or she can reposition backward and cram a bunch of chaff between her and any threats.

She'll be casting it every turn after the first if her stats are like her previous two incarnations. With a hierophant and/or wracks, she safely camps 2-3 focus per turn with 15/17 for defensive stats. The cavalry reposition plus incite makes me think she'll be an aggressive scenario caster with a preference for being 5~8'' behind your front line. If she keeps her heavy flamethrower (since it looks like she still has apocalypse???), she'll be making hit & run attacks with a sp10 pow 14, rat 7 weapon. There's no reason not to take Hand of Judgement, so there's also some funny business to be had there.

The real question is is if there's any reason to take infantry not named Idrians with her =O

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Help. I bought a number of trolls for fire sale prices. My wife may murder me. What do I do?

strike first and get a divorce

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Magres posted:

:yeah:

Same thing as with D&D - I've played super casual, unoptimized games that sucked because the people I was playing with sucked. And I've played games that were a clusterfuck of everyone minmaxing to the extreme and our DM throwing ridiculous things at us and they were a blast. I still remember that game as one of my favorites I've ever touched because the madness lent everything a certain madcap charm and my friends were super, super fun about rolling with all of the ridiculous garbage we could all do and that our DM threw at us to compensate. I played as a shapeshifter whose preferred form was a giant, mutated, metal-coated bear (shapeshifting armor!) with jaws and paws too large for it that habitually grappled and crushed everything he could and then ate everyone we killed to hide the bodies.

I think the key is playing games with smart, funny, creative, and ike-minded (in terms of desired styles) people. All my favorite everythings involve people getting really into the mechanics, but also having an almost all consuming desire to push things in absurd/hillarious directions.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Dawwww, the new farrow brigand leader has a cute berete!

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
where are people getting that info from?

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

LordAba posted:

Is there a good way of ditching the flag on floatgirl?

yeah, they just snap off after you transport them somewhere

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

Painting figs is fun sometimes but I just want to murk noobs and theres endless minis in an army

Just take my Angry Elves already. God.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

waah posted:

Would you guys rather have Skorne whining back?

More on topic, do you guys think Battle Engines will ever be reduced in points across the board?

Which ones do you think need a reduction? I think at least the mercenary and ret engines are in a pretty good place. Not sure about the rest

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

gilljoy posted:

I'd be pretty confident in saying they're not the best dev, it probably doesn't help it appears to be a one man shop

That explains a lot!

They should hire me to rewrite the drat thing. I'll do it in swift/java, or React Native. The only catch is that my rates are far from reasonable

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Wizard Styles posted:

Unity is for games development, not database apps.
It has a reputation for being slow, not optimized for mobiles, and not being great where teamwork/version control is concerned. All of those are red flags.

I assume Tinkerhouse used it because they don't know anything else.

Yeah, exactly. Warroom [should be] a simple app, and the native UI kits for Android and iOS are engineered to provide a high quality UX for things just like it!

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Link the spoilers?!

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
What's the state of the WMH Vassal mod these days? Has it been updated since mk iii?

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Maybe it's the pain meds talking, but that insider didn't inspire a ton of confidence. Especially their answer re Spam Lists.

If the one model being fixed in Protectorate is a nerf to Idrians, I'm gonna be so drat sad.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
The Mk2->Mk3->MK3.1 power changes have been a rollercoaster ride for Ret players.

I hope it gives them a heart attack.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'd define it as making them worse than alternatives within the same faction at the exact same role at a similar price. Weakened to the point that you'd only ever take them for aesthetic for fluff reasons.

If sentinels are just lovely halberdiers/swordsmen, why take them?

I know most people here are in love with PP regardless of what they do, but the 3rd edition transition has shown they are fine with making certain models garbage. My best friend and primary opponent owned Bastions, Zealots, and Exemplar Errants in 2nd edition, no other combat units, and they didn't fair very well. We don't play very much anymore.

I was hoping the upcoming errata might fix some pretty big problems. The assertion that Skorne was fine (just not fun) and that they shouldn't fix Spell Slave because it could make a currently garbage warcaster attachment must have has me a lot less hopeful.

Yeah, I'm on the same page. I like the overall rule system changes for MK 3: powerup, increased warjack points, more point granularity, removing command checks, etc. Those are all amazing. Some of the in-faction changes? Kind of bizarre. Other than Mercenaries and Minions, I don't the intra-faction balance is any better in Mk3 than it was in MK2. There's still a dumb mix of garbage of and not garbage.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

poo poo I run the shadow horn now

I like the Shadowhorn now. I contend that it is: GOOD

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Those are good changes! For their next trick, they should drop the cost of paladin's by 1pt (or give them AD lol).

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

susan posted:

Interesting changes, but the irony of giving Shield Guard to the biggest bullet catchers in Cryx is real. Now Sac Pawn, Sac Pawn would be something on Brutes.

It's definitely funny, buy they're still 2 pt shield guards!

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
I still don't get how the MK 3 faction balance got to where it is in the first place. Half the factions feel well thought out, and the other half range from meh to Skorne.

That said, things seem much better on the Warmachine side, but I don't really have any data on that. How many big tournaments have taken place since MK 3 came out?

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
The only protectorate changes were for a unreleased model, and the Vessel of Judgement. Did they reduce the pushback? I can't recall how that ability used to read.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

tallkidwithglasses posted:

When does War Room get updated with this kind of stuff usually?

Right now!

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Huh. I hadn't thought the AFG was over costed, but it got reduced to 16 pts; were people not taking it?

The Farrow theme force change is cool. You get Horgul with a mercenary jack now!

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

So Is that it for Skorne? It sounded like their poo poo was going to be way more extensive

Skorne is coming next year with the more extensive changes.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Haley 1's temporal barrier spell had been steadily nerfed across 3 editions and what, 15 years? Ah, the glory of days of pre-remix mk1, when it was an aura that shut down your opponents entire army.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Jimmy Hats posted:

They were 13 pts and rat 5 and i already thought they were super good. Now they are godslayer tier. D3 pow 13s for 2 pts each that you can make magical with the ua.

They deserve it. They're some of the best and most characterful sculpts in the entire game; they should have rules to match :black101:

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Ysera posted:

p. 57, Melee Range
Add the following to the end of the first paragraph:
A model’s melee range is limited to its front arc.

What does this mean? Is this removing the charge past models thing that was recently introduced? Pretty sad if that is true, as it was much easier to play.

I'm wondering the same thing. I really liked that particular change from Mk2 =(

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Fyrbrand posted:

Circle's bird (that releases today iirc) and the Legion dragon are the most striking options for those three armies. Unfortunately they'd mostly ONLY be a decoration.

Those are good choices, but the cutest option is the Hammerfal Siege Potato. It's v dopey and the front of it looks like a stupid face :3:

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Berserkers went up a point; was anyone playing them when they cost 8? Which lists would you put them in now that they cost 9?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I feel like farrow make good all comers lists. Tonight I played a bog standard carver list against Denny all incorpeal spam, and felt like I lost before deployment. I could certainly engineer a list to beat that list, but feel like that list would lose to khador heavy spam. It feels like I can't play list chicken because what farrow do well is play a really good list of we're good and we want to press that, but against skew lists it all just falls apart.

:eng101: Meat thresher + mist speaker + Maximus gives lots of multi attack magic weapon and, in the case of Maximus, spell Immunity! Jaga-jaga is also a reasonable cryx drop.