Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
july
This poll is closed.
j 45 20.27%
u 54 24.32%
l 48 21.62%
y 75 33.78%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
As July comes to an end just remember, life is beautiful....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzs9WSyZKTg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
July ended with both Pokemon GO players and No Man's Sky fans melting down, I hope August also brings a bountiful harvest.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
How does a game that hasn't come out yet have fans?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
If you can't see a trailer and immediately form an opinion on a game wth are you doing??

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Speaking of tits, I remembered that the Lost Worlds battlebooks are a thing that existed (still exist? idk if they're still being made or not). Basically, battlebooks were fighting books where you and another person each get a book containing your fighter and then you use the contents of your respective books to duke it out using skills and abilities detailed in each book. Never played them but they always sounded kinda neat and I like the idea that allegedly each book is compatible with every other book regardless of what series they are, so you can have matchups like this.

Ended up posting more pics than I was originally planning to but some of the covers and potential match-ups are funny enough that I wanted to share them :sweatdrop: though a majority of battlebooks are apparently just tits

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Mann posted:

July ended with both Pokemon GO players and No Man's Sky fans melting down, I hope August also brings a bountiful harvest.

Wait did nms fans melt down in a bad way? Have been trying to avoid reading anything about the game while simultaneously trying to decide if I want to buy the game at launch. Not an easy task, as it turns out.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

abagofcheetos posted:

Wait did nms fans melt down in a bad way? Have been trying to avoid reading anything about the game while simultaneously trying to decide if I want to buy the game at launch. Not an easy task, as it turns out.

NMS fans overhyped themselves and made the game bigger than it really it is. For the most part the game is what it's been laid out to be, not some big sprawling epic or whatever.

Edit:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

is NMS $60

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

setafd posted:

is NMS $60

It absolutely is.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Please don't post suicide notes

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Well I figured that much, this had indie game thrust upon the aaa masses written all over it from the first e3 reveal

But it still kinda looks pretty cool for what it is, and I've spent $60 on worse poo poo, so idk

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

abagofcheetos posted:

Well I figured that much, this had indie game thrust upon the aaa masses written all over it from the first e3 reveal

But it still kinda looks pretty cool for what it is, and I've spent $60 on worse poo poo, so idk

It seems kinda chill and tbh the limited edition set for it looks nice imo.

E: Also where is the August thread?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

setafd posted:

is NMS $60

that's the amount i preordered

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

abagofcheetos posted:

Someone got a copy of the game and leaked a bunch of it.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

that's kind of wild, I thought it'd be $40. granted it LOOKS cool, but I have a hard time buying a $60 game and it not being something out of my favorite series or a multiplayer game I'm about to put a million hours into

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

setafd posted:

that's kind of wild, I thought it'd be $40. granted it LOOKS cool, but I have a hard time buying a $60 game and it not being something out of my favorite series or a multiplayer game I'm about to put a million hours into

Didn't you hear though, NMS was the end all be all of video games. This was to be THE game. Nothing else comes close.

It was by all accounts, meant to be The Last Video Game.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

NMS was never worth more than €15.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'm still looking forward somewhat to NMS. It seems incredibly chill and if it really only takes 30 hours to get to the center of the universe in the game that's fine.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Skeezy posted:

I'm still looking forward somewhat to NMS. It seems incredibly chill and if it really only takes 30 hours to get to the center of the universe in the game that's fine.

Unless there's a massive day-1 patch it's an exploration game with no reason to explore because the procedurally-generated elements start repeating themselves too soon and the only difference between planets on the outside of the galaxy and at the core is the level of weapon loot crates that they drop. The big complaint seems to be not that so much that it's too short as that it gives you no real motivation to explore in the first place.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ciaphas posted:

Anyone play or have any thoughts on Death Road to Canada?

It's become a favorite over in the roguelikes thread - you should poke in there and see what they think of it!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I think what is the saddest thing about this whole thing is that someone supposedly paid 1000+ bucks for a leaked copy of it

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

I think what is the saddest thing about this whole thing is that someone supposedly paid 1000+ bucks for a leaked copy of it

Specifically the dude paid $1302.95 with shipping and everything lmao.

Edit:

Here's the part where people are dead set on this being a developer copy of the game or a non finished demo. NMS can't be this lacking, right right????

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4vjjga/we_have_collected_some_evidence_that_the_leaked/

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Skeezy posted:

and now that person has cemented themselves in history.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Skeezy posted:

It's releasing between the 9th and the 12th, that's just really sad and lame and pathetic. What a waste of money. That could have gone to something so much better and so much more important than talking on the internet about how you spent $1300 on a game and are disappointed that it wasn't worth the $1300.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The center of the universe in NMS is just a playable version of Joe Danger 3.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Skeezy posted:

The center of the universe in NMS is just a playable version of Joe Danger 3.

Hell, it wouldn't be a bad thing to put in the center of the universe

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

spen your money on what you want, when you want, hjow you want

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Skeezy posted:

Edit:

Here's the part where people are dead set on this being a developer copy of the game or a non finished demo. NMS can't be this lacking, right right????

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4vjjga/we_have_collected_some_evidence_that_the_leaked/

This is legitimately sad.

quote:

The starter ship was same as the one shown in demo copies (see images below)

Things that were in the demo are also in the full game! Somehow this is evident that the game we got is not the full game!

quote:

Sean mentioned hundreds of hours needed to reach real center unaided, July 28th leak took 30hrs

A developer said a thing about the game! No game developer has ever lied about the length of their video game.

quote:

All planets seem to have some degree of life, contradicting the 90/10/10 rule.

This supposedly completely randomly generated video game didn't adhere to statistics a developer said a thing about for one player!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FirstAidKite posted:

He's a dude with a ton of disposable income, compared to his usual habits of spending money for resources in a f2p game him buying NMS was a worthwhile endeavor because he prevented a lot of people who had bought into the hype from spending their own money on it. Also because it led to true believers pulling such amazing :goonsay: as "why didn't you just spend that $1000 on a hooker" or "he's just doing it for attention, ignore him. -clings to his every word for days-".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This world does not have nearly enough good in it for stages 6 and 7 to happen. When it's easier to say "it's their fault", people will.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Having lots of money doesn't make a purchase like that any less pathetic

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Iron Man is hosed.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

FirstAidKite posted:

Having lots of money doesn't make a purchase like that any less pathetic

Agreed. It was a stupid waste of money. Also I will probably play the game when it is <30USD if it is indeed a decent "get high and explore" type game like some people have suggested.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Who sold him the disc for 1300 is what I wanna know.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Iron Man is hosed.

I know right?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

people with money love anything to do with space

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

In Training posted:

Who sold him the disc for 1300 is what I wanna know.

a very smart man i guess

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/technology/sony-just-schooled-nintendo-on-the-value-of-gaming/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Freefall failure of a company Sony schools the poo poo out of those idiots at Nintendo.

• Locked thread