Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
july
This poll is closed.
j 45 20.27%
u 54 24.32%
l 48 21.62%
y 75 33.78%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Snak posted:

The only Zelda I've ever played was Wind Waker

:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Snak posted:

I've never owned a nintendo console.

:wtc:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Evolve was fun and did some cool poo poo before other games. Just ignore that it wasn't super fun if your team had a bad trapper or some other important class.

Publisher shot themselves in the foot, and turtlerock spent too long making it. They tried charging $100 for what should have been a $20-40 game tops.

Fun game but waaaaaay too limited. And setting up asymmetrical matches of 4v1 and having it be balanced proved too hard.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

The guy at the heart of the whole CSGO betting thing posted his response.

He's sorry but more importantly look, he has a dog. You can't sue a man who loves a dog/send someone with a dog to jail. It's just not right. Bam, case closed.

Super cute dog, but the guy sounds like a tool.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

Lol at the Best of E3 awards hanging on their wall, that kind of delusion suddenly makes it clear how they hosed up so hard. they need to just let this game go. they had a good idea on paper, they hosed their chances royal, just move on and make something else instead of dragging around this corpse for 2 years

The real problem is that turtle rock went off the deep end and spent way way way too much time and money on Evolve. It should have been done like a year or two before they actually released it, they were working on it forever.

So then by the time it actually comes out, the publisher goes and creates $100 boxed copies of the game with stupid microtransaction poo poo to try to recoup the costs, but that just pisses off gamers and drives people away from the game, so it bombs and makes even LESS money than it would have. :doh:

Now they're still trying to make the game a thing because they're still heavily invested in it and probably can't afford to make another game until they squeeze more money out of evolve first, which may not be possible.

Turtle rock may be dead. Valve would probably hire them though.

In Training posted:

The second they go free to play with lootcrates they're going to make a million billion dollars.

Evolve doesn't have any microtransaction content worth putting in lootcrates though. A few painted monster skins aren't enough.

They need to add a hat economy to the game. Should have copied TF2 more closely from the start.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 7, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

it was also because the game was loving awful due to any number of factors. The new rules with "everyone gets a dome" are kind of weird and so is the Trapper getting a global radar but I still feel every game will either be 20 minutes of bored chasing or 2 minute beatdowns. I can't help but feel like the game should have been singleplayer, where you just be the monster loving poo poo up. Controlling the huge fuckers was so much fun and they could have used that engine for anything else.

Yeah they should have just made a cool full-3D Rampage game instead. Playing as the monster is indeed fun but the 4v1 thing is just never really balanced. Its impossible to matchmake 4 people's skill against 1 person's skill who has an entirely different role. Most matches are either the monster wins by a landslide or the hunters kill him super fast. Its not very often you have a tense, close match and that ruins everything.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Maybe video game titles are just naturally unwieldy.

This is something I've been noticing for years, video games have absolutely terrible names. They only work for nerds who are already familiar with the product, which is backwards of how a title should work. It should be easy to understand, descriptive, and exciting. Instead they're almost all massively unwieldy.

Seriously what group of drunken chickens masquerading as a marketing team would come up with game titles like "King's Bounty: Armored Princess"?

There's so many hilariously terrible game names, even most AAA games have horrible names. The best you get are something that's kinda cryptic but at least simple, like "Halo", although that tells you gently caress-all about it being a sci-fi shooter. But most games are poo poo like "Knights of the old republic" which everybody familiar with it just calls it KOTOR anyways...

I think marketing teams in general massively overvalue their brand names.

poo poo like "Franchise™ : The Subtitle® 3: Revengeance" are all over the place and sound really bad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

:lol: This is great

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

What genre is Furi

3rd person action-adventure.

/ boss rush.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Snak posted:

Alternatively, synthwave...

:golfclap: okay that's a better answer

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Roman numerals: yay or nay?

As far as I'm concerned roman numerals is just a stylized logo. The title is still just the number.

MGSV is Metal Gear Solid 5. They're the same thing. Its just two ways of writing it. So to that end, I don't care, roman numerals are cool and for some games they make sense.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

oddium posted:

hmmmmm wrong ??

v has come to

v has come to still works because 5 = v. They're both right. Its not a problem.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

bad example, Kojima specifically says it's V as in Vee and it is not MGS5.

This is the same guy who wanted to call Metal Gear Solid 2 Metal Gear Solid 3 to gently caress with people so take that as you will.

However you wanna look at it, its the 5th main Metal Gear Solid. :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CrashCat posted:

if you believe this, you really need to finish the game first

I know what the v means, it still works. Dude stop making a huge deal out of it.

MisterBibs posted:

As the article says, it could be a cruel joke, but maybe we are eventually getting a L4D3. I know, Valve can't make games with 3 in the title, but who knows?

Being nostalgic for it and going back to the two games for the commentary nodes, it's kinda weird to think of a third game when the second game really feels like it should've been an update to the first one. All the Specials added to it were expressly made to counter how people played the first one, and it wound up 'solving' the core game. Like, what could you add to the core gameplay?

I mean, outside of hats.

Whats interesting is Starbreeze are working on a Walking Dead game based on Payday which is itself going to be very Left4Dead.

Although the fact that we haven't really heard or seen anything about it is troubling.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CrashCat posted:

If a one line post is a huge deal I apologize

But the stubbornness about the name makes a lot more sense after you finish it completely :shrug:

For the 10th time I understand the name. I know how the game ends. Would you stop with your :smuggo: "when you beat the game like me you'll understand" attitude?

I've never said "its 5 not V!" that isn't remotely the point I was ever making. The point is 5 and V are equivalent. Both mean the same thing in this context. You can use either one interchangably, so the name "V" works. How is that so hard to understand? Why do they have to be mutually exclusive in your mind? They don't.

Look, I'll spoil tag it so you can stop being so drat coy Its about venom snake who isn't big boss and is instead the paramedic OKAY?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it isn't meant to represent the Roman numeral V, Peace Walker was MGS5. It's meant to be the letter V. It is a play with language

So you're saying MGSV is Metal Gear Solid 6? :cheeky: Comeon dude its both. But it doesn't really matter and we should talk about anything else.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Oh for sure. It'd be pretty awful of them to do another MGS without Kojima, and he doesn't own the rights and it doesn't sound like they want to sell them to him (and he has new ideas like Death Stranding anyways)

Kojima's been saying "I'm done with MGS" for the last 3-4 MGS games so it should just die anyhow. 5 / V was a great send-off for the series.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Does anyone else have this problem? Right now I'm juggling like five different games at the same time, jumping from one to another on a whim, and I probably won't be able to complete any of them as a result

I'm so bad I can't even claim I'm juggling like 5 games. I just literally pick different games to play each time I sit down to play games. I'm all over the place.

I tend to really like novelty and fresh game mechanics, so I guess constantly hopping around is my way of chasing that dragon.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Stexils posted:

"i would have gotten away with it if it wasnt for you meddling kids!"

Scooby, look, there's a pokestop in the spooky abandoned mansion. Will you do it for a pokesnack?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Turtles in Time SNES remains the single best beat-em-up of all time, scientifically speaking.

Agreed, and I've beaten it like 100 times at least. Other goons have tried telling me that other beat em ups are better, but it is king.

I only wish it was a little deeper. The only special attack you have hurts you to use. I hate the feeling of that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

I cannot believe there is still debate about the greatest side-scrolling beat them up. It's cool to have opinions about personal preferences, but there is one beat them up that towers above all others, and that is Dungeons and Dragons: Shadow of Mystara. I can only imagine that the people who think that other beat them ups are superior simply haven't played the One True Brawler, even though it's recently become more accessible than ever. Saying that Turtles in Time is a better game is low-grade trolling or a symptom of very serious nostalgia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntqBsj_h4u4

Shadows over Mystara is definitely cool but while TMNT is a little shallow, Shadows is too deep. Playing as characters like the mage can be really weird at times, I almost prefer the perfection of TMNT. Its simple but its drat good. Shadows something about the fights just didn't feel quite as good to me.

Shadows is on a tier with other beat em ups like golden axe, great but not quite the best, and maybe trying a few too many different ideas at once.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Scott Pilgrim game had amazing soundtrack and good art and style, but pretty simplistic combat and some wonky controls. So-so overall, but fun for the money.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The game is super shallow, its just a tech demo of pokemon goecaching really. Still fun though, like Zombies' said seeing ekans in your toilet is pretty cool.

Real AR games are still 10+ years away, VR is baaaarely mature at this point. But its a cool demo.

If Nintendo ever went whole-hog on it they could take over the whole world, but they won't because they're Nintendo. So we'll get a dozen more pokemon clones exactly like the past ones with slightly better graphics on 3DS and a bunch of tech demos on iOS/Android.

A true pokemon MMO they could name their price and everybody would pay it. They wouldn't even need to do a new console, cancel NX; just make a pokemon MMO instead. It'd be more profitable by far.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh people talking about beat em ups and shadow over mystara, is it time for me to be like "come play dungeon fighter online with me" again? :v:

I'm sorry if me plugging dfo is annoying people, I'm not trying to be, I just think it is legitimately a good and fun game

DFO is super cool and underrated, although also gets extremely repetitive.

Last I played things were still transitioning to the new ownership company and everything was in flux and beta as it was being remade. Is it pretty stable now?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

i mean it's all procgen so of course it's not that big. what a loving moron

They're a parody channel

Wamdoodle posted:

Only 6GB. Why is that impressive?

Its not, its completely inconsequential. Holy poo poo you guys are thick.

:thejoke:

Its the same joke channel that did the teddy bear parody guys, comeon.

Also Kkrieger is a cool tech demo but the game overall looks like poo poo compared to anything AAA made 10 years ago, much less today.

Wamdoodle posted:

Which also uses procedural generation.

This is sorta true but not really. Kkrieger uses specific algorithms to build its data so it can be so small, but it doesn't have the same "explore around and find different procedurally generated things" gameplay like no man's sky or even minecraft. Everything in kkkrieger is static and specifically placed and will always be the same for everybody who plays it. They just use algorithms so they can roll up the textures as code.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 11, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mordja posted:

You don't say.

Please direct your reponse to Wamdoodle

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

yeah i could definitely tell that video with no description was parody

"they weren't stealing internet, its just funnier to suggest they are, this is journalism in the post-truth age"

Like 10 seconds into the vid lmao

ethanol posted:

my roommate asked me about no man's sky and i pretended i didnt know anythign about it because i didnt want to divulge just how many open world running simulator procedurally generated disasters i have been disappointed by

Name one that isn't minecraft or NMS? lol

I guess there was that one indie spaceman game...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ethanol posted:

Isn't a goon pastime to tell people that surge protectors don't actually protect from surges

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L25nR1_EIEs

Hahahaha oh god.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

oddium posted:

is there a collection of $100 questions people got wrong somewhere like that collection of kickstarters with zero backers

Oh yes. Just punch "stupid who wants to be a millionaire" into youtube and enjoy the endless schadenfreude.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Snak posted:

No I mean I never even got to go into camera view. It appeared on the map, and all the hud elements had vanished, so I figured the only thing to do was tap on the Pokemon on the map.

I've also been playing 20 minutes and had the app freeze up already.

What phone do you have? If its an iPhone 4 or older then it just won't play the game, even though it'll boot the app. Its too old.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I used Switch Axe/Bow in MH3 then Gunlance/Lance in MH4 but my heart has not chosen a new weapon for Generations + it is very worrying

GS/LS in MH3 and Switch Axe in MH4.

Not sure if I'll even get the new MH right away... although I'll probably cave soon.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

:rip: CSGO Lounge :smith:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

It comes out on friday, I think theres a demo.

Is your 3ds charged and patched up?

Haha the seeds of doubt are planted.

Yeah my 3DS is charged and patched, if there's a demo I'll def try it out.

gently caress, you're gonna get me to cave Tenzarin!

bloodychill posted:

Why :smith: that stuff is poo poo

I know! I love CSGO Lounge. Its super chill. And if anything they were pretty cool, nobody really cared.

But now all these asshats with the pure gambling websites (Yeah CSGO Lounge is gambling too, but gambling on matches. All the new websites are just pure gambling, toss in your gun skins and hope you become the winner randomly) and getting young kids hooked on gambling is going to ruin it for everybody.

I just can't see Valve making an exception for CSGOLounge after shutting everybody else down. They're going to say "well, that's gambling too, so sorry".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nintendo is finally cranking out their own knockoff consoles to get in on that sweet "grandma shopping for birthday presents at walgreens" cash.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

This actually looks pretty good, and the controllers are compatible with Wii U virtual console, too. I'll buy it, partially because I like most of the games on the list, and partially to encourage them to make an SNES one next year.

I'm too busy playing on my real NES and SNES :colbert:

They're pretty drat cheap to get these days and its way cooler and more nostalgic than this thing will be.

Mak0rz posted:

The Thousand-Year Door.

aka the best one aka the one with the computer that wants to bone the princess.

Mario RPG is better but Thousand Year Door is the best of the technical "paper mario" titled games.

FirstAidKite posted:

IMO paper mario 64 is a better game, but thousand year door is really good too and its lows are largely just padding and backtracking related

e: I was going to say that I enjoyed the party members in thousand year door more but that's not really true, they both had really good party members (bow, vivian, bobbery, parakarry) and both had party members I was just "eh" about (sushi, flurry, ms mowz, lakilester) so I think the casts are pretty equal, though goombella is definitely better than goombario and I like how there are glitches that let you take both goompa in n64 paper mario and flavio in thousand year door along for the ride

Mario 64 is great but comparing an RPG and a platformer is apples and oranges.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Phantasium posted:

Not if you want them to look like anything other than garbage on a modern tv.

Well, that brings up a ton of questions. How does this thing actually work? Does it contain chips with all the ROM data loaded up? Is it just an emulator with a flash stick? Does it use HDMI? Is it rendering with original hardware or a modern clone or just a modern x86 CPU or what?

They do mention it connects with HDMI but nothing else.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I said paper mario 64, not mario 64

Oh. That's just Paper Mario 1.

No 64.

Sorry I missed the paper part but I've literally never heard anybody call it paper mario 64 before in my life.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Level Slide posted:

This reminds me, I hope the rumors on the NX having cartridge games are true, and the cartridges are chunky things like the old days. I already have my cotton swabs and rubbing alcohol ready.

No way would they do cartridges these days. Waaaaaaay too expensive to manufacture compared to discs.

Although Nintendo did invest heavily in a "holographic cube data storage" company awhile back.

I still want N to make a console that plays modern games on discs but is able to fit NES and SNES cartridges too for proper backwards compatibility, like we all hoped the "Revolution" was gonna be.

ethanol posted:

Wow who cares about any of this you can play the games free on your pc btw and you don't even have to buy the power cord separately

Me: I'm zaphod, let me pay $7.99+ for nes games on this Nintendo stamped arduino emulator

Ethanol you ignorant slut, look at the post I made on this thing before that one. I'm against this thing, not loving championing it.

Seriously where the hell is this coming from? I said I own original NES and SNES consoles and have no need for this.

Me: I'm Ethanol, let me shitpost constantly

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Most of those units are nearing the event horizon on functioning. They're gonna rot out and be unfixable.

Old NES may have issues with the cartridge slot, but "unfixable" is going way way way too far.

Old SNES are built like a tank and they might turn yellow but they'll never die.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

also it's just cheaper to buy this than the collect the games individually on cart. of course you can stumble into a yard sale with a bunch of games but buying them individually online is a hassle. like on amazon right now kid icarus starts at 20 bucks

and the local geek stores mark their carts up to match whatever the online prices are :|

it's a shame because about 6-7 years ago Gamestops used to carry NES games and they were practically giving them away

You can get any NES game that isn't some rare collector's item off craigslist for $1, maybe $5 tops.

I collected a whole ton of games just like a year ago and it barely cost me anything. And there's two dozen posts on craigslist now over the same types of items.

Not an option in small towns I guess but its really not that hard to find most NES carts for cheap as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

if i want to be murdered in someones dungeon i'll use craigslist

Eh, tell them to meet you at a walmart or something, no big.

• Locked thread