Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
july
This poll is closed.
j 45 20.27%
u 54 24.32%
l 48 21.62%
y 75 33.78%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

paradoxGentleman posted:

Oh have we already moved on to this chat thread? man are we cutting edge

reposting my question:

Can someone explain to me the difference between RTS games and 4Xs?
Games I have played that may provide some point of comparison:
-Age of Empires
-Age of Mythology
-Pharaoh
-Heroes of Might and Magic

I've also read some screenshot LPs of Civilization 5.
4x is usually larger scale, usually used for the space games where you own whole solar systems and poo poo. Also often turn based or on a variable time scale because you're supposed to be able to have so much stuff that managing it all in real time is nuts.

It's not extremely precisely defined though so some people will bend that term to fool people into buying their game that isn't really 4x at all, and some idiots make real time 4x games just to gently caress with the formula. Still basically none of the games you mentioned except possibly Civ would qualify, and while Civ has all the elements they try to rein in your scope so you're not driving yourself crazy micromanaging a huge empire unless you want to. A lot of 4x games just throw you to the wolves and give you a ton of poo poo to do with very little direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Jay Rust posted:

PYF video game floors

lava

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I guess my favorite game floor is actually Rainbow Road

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I am stuck here at home instead of going to my family this weekend but I just bought nearly the whole PSN store for nothing and downloaded about half of it with my new shiny 1TB limit from Comcast instead of that lovely 300gb one we had before

That said I am going out for board games on Saturday and will probably just play TMS the rest of the weekend making all that downloading pointless

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

actually that's all a loving lie I'll be watching SGDQ and working from home because lol if we can actually shut anything down for a holiday

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

deadly_pudding posted:

poo poo, that reminded me. The dance-floor road in Mario Kart 8 is pretty good, too. The little floor tiles light up with colors where people are driving over them.
Ooh that's even better. I love glowy floors and Tron poo poo. Well except for that one actual Tron game from the last movie, it kind of sucked, though Tron 2.0 was good. I guess the Tron runner game is supposed to be okay too but I haven't tried it becaues I don't like runners

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

irlZaphod posted:

someone help me finish virtue's last reward so that i can play zero time dilemma pls
go left

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Love Stole the Day posted:

That Street Fighter V game got its big single player cinematic story mode update today as a free DLC thing. It's way better than I expected and has the most plot and personality that I personally have ever seen in a fighting game.
Yeah, I watched some yesterday and really enjoyed it. Looks like the new Mortal Kombat story mode style is here to stay, and I'm just fine with that. Not that I should even weigh in since I don't get these games until they're dirt cheap, but I like that approach

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

In Training posted:

Roads are not floors.
A road is a floor for cars, don't be animist

I mean, don't be anti-animist

Oh gently caress it

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

uh hello you can't play splatoon on a diamond

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Lurdiak posted:

So what the gently caress is #FE anyway, is it just a new Fire Emblem that people are overhpying, or is it something cool.
it's the Performa to your Purse Owner

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

FactsAreUseless posted:

No, use a nickname. Facts "Are" Useless.
Facts Are "Useless"

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

oddium posted:

ah. i'm getting the message in now. here it comes

l i t t l e m o n e y

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

oh come on this is just uncalled for

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

it was a Savage encounter, you're supposed to get your poo poo pushed in by those sometimes :shrug:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

it was probably just the wrong time to take a Savage encounter anyway, I had no party members to switch out to cover resistances and I didn't build up SP meter first

but I had also just saved and basically just walked in so I thought I would be bold. Well fine then I'll see you in NG+ assholes

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

never get between a kirb and its food

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

oddium posted:

from what i understand a failstate can be established early on in a game but the actual failure won't occur until much later. so you'll know a tower doesn't have enough health after the first wave and the next thirty minutes are a waste of time until it final goes down in another wave
yes, yes, we know how the development went, but how about the gameplay

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I hope the Battleborn cosplayers don't get bullied by the Overwatch cosplayers this summer.
what Battleborn cosplayers

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

oddium posted:

sounds like all mobas are trash

:same:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Lurdiak posted:

Why do video games keep doing this. There's no goddamn reason for the text to be that small.
I'm gonna guess the reason is laziness with lack of UI scaling, you can find out if you can make it readable at a lower resolution

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sotar posted:

I have purchased a Wii U. Mario maker is a fun game.

congrats, let us know when you come up for air

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The Walrus posted:

i havent played it yet so haven't even read the threads yet but lol at there being a vlr 2 spoiler thread that immediately replaces the non spoiler thread in first page games status.
Well GBS has that GoT thread with the title that just lists out everyone who died in the season finale, so we've got a ways to go yet to compete

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

FirstAidKite posted:

Hi everybody, it's 12:39 AM est and I am playing a puzzle game called Lyne.

I'm also looking at poo poo on ebay. There's a thing I want that is usually like 200 bucks but it's only going for 36 right now and it is one of those times where I wish I had some kind of income so I could bid on it.

Unfortunately, scalpers pretty much ruined the prices on them. It's cool that this whole set is only $36 minimum but it's still a shame some individual pieces of those sets show up at outrageous prices like $180 or $200 and that people are apparently buying them at those prices too :\
Scavenging through Skylanders stuff on eBay is a hell of a thing, any time you have the conflicting markets of moms selling off their kid's old poo poo and resellers going in hard it makes for a super weird landscape

I got a lot of Skylanders cheap in a big lot or two to unlock most of the poo poo for the bargain bin games I got in the series when they were discontinued, but I'm really unlikely to try and fill in the blanks because individual pieces are costly even used

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

CJacobs posted:

What's the max amount of stuff you can list on the steam market before it starts asking you for tax information or whatever? Someone posted about it a while back and idle master is in the process of earning me like 200+ cards so I would like to know this before it happens to me.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6088-UDXM-7214

some arbitrary time before you hit 200

quote:

Why do I have to provide additional documentation if I haven't reached 200 market sales?
We request this information early on so that you have time to fill it out accurately. Validation by the third party can take time, if you hit the 200 limit without the form validated you will not be able to sell additional items until validation is complete.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Wamdoodle posted:

Holy crap. Can't these things be hacked like Amiibos?
They can but the company has been way more attentive to shutting down any sites that offer anything for that than Nintendo has, since it's basically their entire revenue stream

and by "they can" i mean in the same way, by making a special programmable one, the store bought ones protect the specific character data

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Make up a game title that you would never in a hundred years play, because just the title sounds awful enough.

Arnold Palmer's Card Masters 2016, a battle card arena hosted by Arnold Palmer.
That's really difficult cause if you mash up a couple boring things you can get something unintentionally interesting, like I would totally try out a golf card game

David Cage's Pro Bowling sounds terrible but you know it would have some hilarious QTEs and a hosed up story mode

Gone Home: Champions, the first MOBA where you have to last hit creeps and gank scrubs while piecing together the story of a stressful childhood wrestling with your sexuality

Dan Marino's Picross: uncover pictures to advance down the field as you coach a local junior team and complete boss battles vs. the spectre of mortality

Yoshi's Melba Toast: Manage your entire business from field to oven to make disappointing bland pieces of bread then match them to sell them to geriatric customers. Fail too many times and your clientele dies of old age

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Help Im Alive posted:

If you like Phantom Hourglass it's worth playing Spirit Tracks IMO

The overworld + the ways it uses the mic are bad but the dungeons are still fun/the soundtrack owns and ghost Zelda is a better partner character than any fairy/Fi
I never had either :(

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

FactsAreUseless posted:

I love Okami but it's incredibly long and the beginning is Twilight Princess levels of slow.
It does keep anyone from asking for the sequel that will never happen though

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Broseph Brostar posted:

That sequel did happen and it was meh
I refuse to acknowledge a handheld spinoff

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

lol as if anyone would play that for free

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

FirstAidKite posted:

I had a really weird dream that I was playing a multiplayer game where each person was part of a 4-person group and they each had their own tasks to perform in order to make sure the group could complete and win the game instead of other players. However, each group would have 1 traitorous character who would be tasked with attempting to destroy the group from the inside for their own benefit and so your goal would be to work with your team while trying to uproot the traitor or keeping close enough tabs on everybody that the traitor is forced to continue to be helpful to the group or give themselves up.

Is there actually a game like that that exists?
That's an entire genre of board games, I dont know if I've ever seen that in a video game though

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/71738/hes-lyingtrust-me-comprehensive-list-traitor-ish-g

Whole bunch more lists of them linked in that list

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Viewtiful Jew posted:

The guy at the heart of the whole CSGO betting thing posted his response.

He's sorry but more importantly look, he has a dog. You can't sue a man who loves a dog/send someone with a dog to jail. It's just not right. Bam, case closed.
Thank you guys for all the money, but I wasn't technically wrong and I'm sorry if you felt I was

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I can't wait for this weekend to try Furi then get mad and delete it

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Zaphod42 posted:

v has come to still works because 5 = v. They're both right. Its not a problem.

However you wanna look at it, its the 5th main Metal Gear Solid. :v:

if you believe this, you really need to finish the game first

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Jonas Albrecht posted:

While I'm all for regulatory agencies coming down hard on this, I'm slightly worried about a renewed video games moral panic.
Good, burn it all down

Semper games

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Baal posted:

I'M GONNA DO IT

I'M GONNA RESUB TO FFXIV
*poisons your duty roulettes*

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I will not allow videogamedunkey to be arrested
We could allow some sort of executive pardon for the few edge cases like dunkey

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Snak posted:

What about HydraulicPressChannel guy?

You can't just make sweeping laws like that and then make exceptions for everyone you like. That's how you become a conservative!
ohh yeah, it would definitely have to be just gaming content that gets punished

I'm sure someone would work around it with invalid tags but our safety has to come first!!!111one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

LawfulWaffle posted:

I did this and it's been the only game I've played all month.I still haven't hit lvl 50, so there's a ton of end game content and expansion stuff that I've yet to see. Soon, though. Soon.

this is the point where I shamefully admit to buying Heavensward and never playing it

I think I stopped at level 49 too

• Locked thread