Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Donkwich posted:

I don't think this generational tension is very helpful, it's as annoying as hearing old people complain about strawman millenials who don't exist. Disenfranchising the elderly would mean not having to care about economically screwing them over, and I'd like to not have to keep working until I die because some petty youngsters want to feel smug.

I don't want to feel smug. I want to inherit a country not ravaged by laws and ideals that lead to catastrophes visible to anyone with eyes just because some old gently caress doesn't wanna live with "urbans"

Good news though, you will have to keep working till you die anyway courtesy of old people. So put your back into it, there is no such thing as a free lunch dontchaknow

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
If you think that suppressing any votes is a good idea, you're missing the point of democracy. Any group of people 'not being good enough' is presupposing that political engagement is a privilege that can be revoked, when convenient to whatever group is in power, and not an inalienable right.

Moreover, it's incredibly condescending and paternalistic to declare that someone else's belief is wrong by virtue of who they are, and that therefore their voice needs to be ignored. People aren't like that, nobody is like that, everybody has their own story or experience that leads them to think the way they do - you have to treat that seriously, and at least make an attempt at approaching it, if you want to consider yourself an empathetic person.

Like even if old people in general have empirically false and absurd beliefs, it's still dumb on every level to do this - the question to ask is 'why?'. Find the root, and pull that out. Ignoring the problem only delays its resolution.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

rudatron posted:

Like even if old people in general have empirically false and absurd beliefs, it's still dumb on every level to do this - the question to ask is 'why?'. Find the root, and pull that out. Ignoring the problem only delays its resolution.
I see what you're saying; we need to pull out old people's brains, since their brains having ossified around what they knew decades ago is why they generally have empirically false and absurd beliefs.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I say we have a benevolent dictator COMPUTER GOD run the world

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

rudatron posted:

If you think that suppressing any votes is a good idea, you're missing the point of democracy. Any group of people 'not being good enough' is presupposing that political engagement is a privilege that can be revoked, when convenient to whatever group is in power, and not an inalienable right.

This is trivially untrue. One could be disillusioned with democracy, believe it has limitations, or just dislike it in general. Furthermore, virtually no one is demanding ballot access for tweens, and you're suspiciously quiet on that subject. Maybe you don't "get" democracy.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
I demand ballet access for tweens. If you can bribe old voters with pensions you should be able to bribe young voters with candy.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Fried Watermelon posted:

:agreed:

Qwazes
Sep 29, 2014
Fun Shoe

Fried Watermelon posted:

dictatorships are the only fair voting method, confirmed by mathematics

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Just machines to make big decisions
Programmed by fellas with compassion and vision
We'll be clean when their work is done,
We'll be eternally free and eternally young

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Rookersh posted:

I think more states should look at Minnesota.

You can register same day, there are voting booths set up in schools/everywhere so you can vote after class, you can email in your vote, etc etc.

wait, what. we have, like, none of that stuff, except same day registration at our polling places. we have designated polling places, and you can only apply for an absentee ballot over email, but it needs to get printed off and mailed or turned in.

we are good at turn out because we are motivated as hell: 35% of us volunteer in some form, we have easy registration, and no bs voter ID laws. also, there's no reason needed for an absentee ballot, so there's really no reason not to vote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Personally I think young / trash suffrage should be revoked

(not really, but making even a large population to act upon an emotional spike is both scary and a very real threat)

• Locked thread