Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

we should take a page from the Inuit and give our eld to the ice

But realtalk,

my dad posted:

I think old people have an unfortunate statistical tendency towards being complete idiots in general, but no, OP, taking away people's right to vote because you don't agree with them is not a good thing.

I hare to say it, but I agree with this. Abolishing voting rights never ends well, even if there are obvious benefits in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

EasternBronze posted:

Ironic that the people who have contributed the most to society should have less a say than someone who just graduated high school and MAYBE waited tables part time.

That's not how you use the word "ironic". But otherwise yeah I agree. Their way of thinking is backward and irrelevant. And I am unconvinced that they contributed more to society than the high schooler just because they're older. That's ageism.

LGD posted:

Youth have a lack of life experience and do not have the knowledge to make properly informed political decisions. The franchise should be exclusively limited to socially respectable property owners above the age of 50, who've made something of themselves and will have the proper disposition to soberly and responsibly guide a country.

Are you a MIGF rereg? Cause drat this is pretty good.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

PT6A posted:

The real problem is that seniors have more influence in democratic systems because they're reliable voters, and young people are not. If you want to fix that, the solution is for young people to get off their loving lazy asses and exercise their right to vote, not to take it away from other people. There aren't so many seniors that they would comprise a majority in pretty much any western society, it's just that they're the ones who're actually voting.

Old people have social and political capital that young people have no way to access. That's what's missing from your little bootstrap calculus. They control the Overton window, they control the job market and they are unwilling to engage with any ideas beyond their increasingly narrow world view. That's what leads to voter depression among the young, and no amount of yelling about how "Voting MATTERS!" will change that.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What we need to do is bring back weighted voting. Divide the population into age brackets like in the graphic in the OP, and then calculate a factor for each bracket to figure out how their vote is weighted. The oldest group is defined as having a weight of 1. In this case, you end up with:

Vote weight
18-24: 4.3
25-49: 3.3
50-64: 1.9
65+: 1

Applying those values to the Remain/Leave numbers above, and the total population of each bracket, you'd end up with:

59 million votes for Remain
50.9 million votes for Leave.

Adjusting for turnout, Remain would still win, unless turnout among the 18-24 and 24-49 brackets dropped to around 40% while the other two were at 100%. We have thus succeeded in our objective of nullifying old farts.

I like this proposal, but I also realize it's easy as gently caress to manipulate.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

How do the elderly control the Overton Window, if not by reliably voting?

They own media conglomerates, businesses and politicians tend to be either their age or a generation after, so they do their best to coincide their interests with the elderly voters.
I bet the second their interests stop being represented they will stop voting reliably and become the new Bernie Bros

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

No. Taking away peoples right to vote because they have opinions you don't like is fascist thought.

You get mandatory voting and a voting holiday so the 18-24 bracket votes and any of these kinds of problems go away. Of course this will never pass in the United States of America because people might start voting for their interests rather than big business interests.

We had this in America before but sadly the secret ballot was introduced and bosses were not able to manipulate results so they stomped their feet and prevented people from having a day off.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Peven Stan posted:

Revoke white suffrage instead imo

This is the right answer

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Sword and Sceptre posted:

I saw an old woman driving the wrong way around a roundabout today, I followed her while yelling, slurring, honking at her in hopes of traumatizing her failing dementia riddled mind into never driving again. Yes we should revoke the right of the olds to drive and probably vote.
/

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Voter suppression is a good argument for senior sufferage.

Nazareth posted:

I understand that it is tempting to disparage those that you disagree with, but the elderly aren't some group of YOLO ballot berserkers who vote for terrible things purposefully to set the world on fire.

citation needed

Nazareth posted:

They're people just like you with different opinions and a different perspective on things. They don't view the world like you do but they have a voice, and that voice should be heard. Universal suffrage is the keystone in the foundation of democracy, and the people its architects. Everyone, young and old, has a right to vote. Would you tell a 90 year old World War II veteran that he cannot partake in the democracy he fought to protect? Ludicrous.

I agree with you, but I'm gonna play devil's advocate here. Yes, I do. Let's take Brexit. When the policy is so obviously detrimental that people have been shouting "don't do it you loving chodes" for months and the old people decide to push the "Leave (and nuke economy)" button, I can't help but feel at this point they are using their reputation to excuse their ignorance/nationalism/racism/what-have-you. And since they don't have to live for too long and see the full effect of their gently caress-up, it doesn't feel fair. And fairness is also the keystone of democracy.
And since they cannot fully experience what they have just unleashed, how do we go about making sure this is fair to those who do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Donkwich posted:

I don't think this generational tension is very helpful, it's as annoying as hearing old people complain about strawman millenials who don't exist. Disenfranchising the elderly would mean not having to care about economically screwing them over, and I'd like to not have to keep working until I die because some petty youngsters want to feel smug.

I don't want to feel smug. I want to inherit a country not ravaged by laws and ideals that lead to catastrophes visible to anyone with eyes just because some old gently caress doesn't wanna live with "urbans"

Good news though, you will have to keep working till you die anyway courtesy of old people. So put your back into it, there is no such thing as a free lunch dontchaknow

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 13, 2016

• Locked thread