Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Rigged up a camping grill to make a cold smoker to do some salmon. Needs some fixes but so far it's smoky and doesn't hit over 50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Woah, that looks cool. I actually have one of those mini Webers. Sadly the intake at the botom of my keg is rectangular, otherwise I would rig up something similar.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Bisket or Brussels?

LETS HAVE BOTH

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Fish is a meat for weak men

A true man eats only land-roaming animals that he can look in the eye from birth to death and then slaughter

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Cartouche posted:

Woah, that looks cool. I actually have one of those mini Webers. Sadly the intake at the botom of my keg is rectangular, otherwise I would rig up something similar.

I really wanted a cold smoker and now I can smoke blocks of cheese and eat them all at once!

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
This iswhy you're the king, bees

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Teikanmi posted:

Fish is a meat for weak men

A true man eats only land-roaming animals that he can look in the eye from birth to death and then slaughter

Hell, I'll kill and eat any thing. Even spiders! I'm eating one right now. What were we talking about again?

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I don't have a smoker, but can I make some decent brisket using my charcoal grill?

found a tutorial online, going to cook me up some brisket!

Edgar fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 3, 2016

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Cartouche posted:

Bisket or Brussels?

LETS HAVE BOTH

Looks awesome

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
holy moly, 6 hours to cook a brisket.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

jonathan posted:

I find that foil wrapping can be unpredictable where as if your brisket is around 12 - 15lbs, it's going to take 14 hrs on the smoker almost always, and the bark will turn out better.

With foil I've had it come out way too early too many times.

Anyone that foils brisket is legit retarded. I can see it on ribs but it makes no sense on brisket or pork shoulders.

Edgar posted:

I don't have a smoker, but can I make some decent brisket using my charcoal grill?

It really depends on what grill. Some charcoal grills are much better than others at being able to do indirect heat and low temps.

King of Bees posted:

Rigged up a camping grill to make a cold smoker to do some salmon. Needs some fixes but so far it's smoky and doesn't hit over 50.

That is pretty awesome. Well done.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 3, 2016

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Tri tips, The Lord's chosen cut of meat, for the fourth:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar posted:

I posted a picture of me doing a brisket on an old lovely Weber and it turned out fine.

You just pile coals around the edge of the grill (about 180 degrees is enough, you don't need the full 360) and put a pan of water in the middle. Sprinkle wood chips on top of the coals. The coals should go about up to where the grate rests and will be a band of about three inches across when this happens. You light one end of the coals only -- it helps to use smaller coals here (you want your coals to be fairly uniform elsewhere) and lots of fluid. Once it takes the lit coals will burn slowly into the unlit ones around the edge and you get a smokey oven for 4-8 hours. You adjust the temp with the air you let in -- more air will increase the temp, less will decrease it, but if you roughly follow what I said and have the vents mostly open it will be okay even without a thermometer -- if you do have a thermometer you want about 225 inside. I place the brisket fat side down (fat shaved to about 1/4 inch) and take it out when it's at 150 internal, wrap it tightly in foil, and finish it in the oven inside to 203 internal. Whole process on a 12 lb or so piece is maybe five hours.

There's enough smoke here that your rub doesn't make a big difference imo so you can do whatever you want there. Salt and pepper is enough. You could also add mustard and chipotle powders. Onion and garlic powders. Msg. You could inject it too. I would not put fresh garlic or onion on the surface as it will probably torch.

The hardest thing is finding a good brisket to buy in the first place. You want some marbling just like with any beef but marbled brisket is rare.

raton fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 3, 2016

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Cartouche posted:

I support brisket, but while I struggle with the flats, the caps nearly always come out perfect.

Low and slow, baby.

Don't doxx me

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lol if you don't smoke your ribs until they're pink like a ham

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

Lol if you don't smoke your ribs until they're pink like a ham

Jesus, looking at that is like a visit to the burn ward.

I applaud your ribs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

That's called bark, bro

Also lol at these contraptions, just use a basic Weber kettle.

• Locked thread