Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i think they should name it after places in california

android next door to the google cafeteria i never leave campus please send help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Infinotize posted:

what will they use for 'O'
orangina

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MachinTrucChose posted:

I'm getting a phone that can be rooted, but that cannot have its ROM changed to something like CM.

I'm looking for a firewall with easy controls for white/blacklisting. I would prefer not using a crude approach like a hosts file, or at least not rely on that exclusively.

I would prefer an on-device firewall which would prompt me whenever a new domain name or IP is being requested by an app. For example, if TorchApp tries to connect to torchapp.com (or a direct IP like 1.2.3.4), I get prompted for a decision, and can select "deny" and "remember". All further attempts by TorchApp to connect to torchapp.com would fail silently. It must be able to block Google's own system apps too (such as Google Play Services), not just downloaded apps. I'd like to be able to block all of Google's phone home BS if I want (and I do).

I don't mind if there's no automatic prompt, as long as there's an easy way to figure out which domain I should whitelist, and it's not too painful to do.

I've tried a couple of firewalls so far, ufwall and NetGuard, but they seem to only apply to apps, not domains. Well, ufwall lets you enter IPtables rules, but that's way too complicated.

Any advice?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Millstone posted:

have you considered autism

MachinTrucChose posted:

Thanks for your concern, but I did my research, and this IS the most appropriate tool for the job. There are no open smartphones with great cameras like flagship Androids have (EDIT: there's Nexus 6P, but it has horrible audio. And yet I'll still get that if I can't figure out a work-around). If there was an open alternative, or even CyanogenMod support, I wouldn't be using a locked up Android.

Jesus Christ, when did Android fans become as fanatical as Apple fans? When did it become heresy to want to tinker with my phone a bit? I posted this on SA so the fanatics wouldn't react like they typically do, and yet here we are.

FYI, if I ever decide to give up on controlling the SW on my phone, then I'll just buy an iPhone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

wants insane firewall setup
finds iptables too hard
thinks people laughing at him are fanatics

doesn't want his literal adware os phoning home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

wants insane firewall setup
finds iptables too hard
thinks people laughing at him are fanatics

MachinTrucChose posted:

There are millions of installs for the firewall apps on the Play store alone. Are you really surprised? A smartphone is just a small form computer with phone and camera capabilities, there's nothing special about it.

Hell, my new phone will have more RAM and CPU cores than my previous laptop.

• Locked thread