Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

corn in the fridge posted:

Whats the book of the month?

American Salvage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Stop it, I can only get erect so much!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Stop it, I can only get erect so much!
I'm surprised it works at all given how much time you spend in the saddle.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Ether Frenzy posted:

Have you test driven one yet? Because you should go test drive one at the dealer. Then you can quit worrying about the ~$1500-2000 in price variance
Quit waiting, you could get run over by a truck tomorrow and you'll be really annoyed if the last thing you think before dying is "I never had a car with an engine that redlined to 8400 rpm"

Don't forget you have to pay tax on the private purchase though. I did :v:

Good thoughts and let's face it I've been watching classifieds, autotrader, m3post and others for a year or more at this point. There was one back east on autotrader that went sub $30k and had documentation of oil changed and air filter change at the dealer every 5k since new and documentation and photos of a rod bearing replacement. I should have got it. Perhaps the bigger motivation needs to be to get my E36 cleaned up and sold so I can have more cash.

Ozmiander posted:

I think the best guns are CZ75s and FN FALs. Discus amongst yourselves.

I shot an FN SCAR in 5.56 and it felt like I was playing DOOM with God-mode on. All I heard was lead slapping steel.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

paintchat: I also find some paints to be much more forgiving than others. Stuff like DupliColor's regular ordinary enamel and some Powerfister paint seems to just always look good and cure nicely as long as you keep the correct end of the can pointed vaguely at your work piece, but there's a bunch of other stuff (especially a few of the various tremclad/rustoleum formulas) that's ridiculously finicky.
But then, my idea of prep is 'spray the piece down with whatever solvent is nearest, blow some air at it, let it finish drying while I shake the can and start spraying' so I'm sure good results are possible with the products that I find difficult.

Spending my afternoon playing with the Oculus DK2 I got for free a couple weeks ago. Dear gently caress their software is a long way off, a device driver should not require this much effort and babysitting to work in TYOOL 2016. I get it's all still beta and they're breaking a lot of ground with this stuff but I'm at a 5:1 ratio of setup time to use time, and have installed Windows 3 times at this point.
Worth it though, I finally got Project CARS running and it's quite the fuckin' thing.

e:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

I'm surprised it works at all given how much time you spend in the saddle.

https://www.specialized.com/au/en-au/components/sworks-power/105604

Comfy and you can still get erections by staring at the lycra clad rear end in front of you!

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Liquid Communism posted:

Hey, congrats! Unemployment is rough, glad to hear you're gonna be working again.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Thread off to good start, congratulations :D

The Locator posted:

Awesome, congratulations, and I hope it's a great job.

meatpimp posted:

Congratulations! What are you going to be doing? Yay for July!

:cheers:

Thanks, everyone. I'll be working in a homebrewing supplies store, which is something I really care a lot about and I'm really excited!

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

SCA Enthusiast posted:

:cheers:

Thanks, everyone. I'll be working in a homebrewing supplies store, which is something I really care a lot about and I'm really excited!

That's even more awesome!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Locator posted:

Congrats, and unless they really nail you on the benefits side or something, that's a pretty nice raise.

Thanks. I hope it works out well. We'll see.

quote:

My usual problem is that I lose interest in stuff before I quite get to the top. I spent about 10 years doing hard suit fighting in the SCA, lost interest and quit. Years later I was told that I was 6 months to a year from knighthood (which is sort of the 'end goal' in that particular hobby).

I got super serious into SCCA autocrossing, and even won a national tour event in ESP, then just... lost interest in it, although I did stretch it to about 12-13 years, and still go to a local event every once in a while.

For whatever reason I seem to have a natural knack for the modeling, as I somehow got a best of show award with my 2nd ever ship build, so who knows, maybe this one is the thing I will stick with for more than about a decade since I appear to be pretty decent at it. Even if I don't, I've got 8 years left before I hit my decade 'lose interest' wall!

My attention span is even shorter than that. A lot of times I'll cycle back around to a thing, though.
The rise of the internet did not help.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
sup.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Hey IOC, would you be able to change the thead tag to something a bit better? I was going to say more appropriate than poo poo Post but... poo poo posting has always been the point of chat threads :0

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I hate making plans with married people.

I'm married too, I get it. But goddamn some dudes have no backbone when it comes to telling their partner they really want to do poo poo, even when it was planned weeks in advance.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

SCA Enthusiast posted:

I would like to use this opportunity to say that after 6months of unemployment, I have been offered a job! Things are looking up and let's all work together to make July the best month of 2016 so far!

Congrats!

I got a new job starting in August, but I signed the paperwork in June, so poo poo lets celebrate in July. 25% pay increase over my old job, and some decent benefits once they kick in. So loving stoked.

Can likely get the truck paid off in a year. Car in a year after that. Roof and windows done, then I'm buying an old jeep/taco/something to beat on the trails. So, its a long ways away, but fuckit, I'm going to start planning. Need to have a long-term prize.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I don't know what this is but I can't stop laughing

https://youtu.be/8PIixoqeRoM

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

iwentdoodie posted:

it's the sequel to this is what it is.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I recognized the street they're on in the first 1 second of the video

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1003945,-118.3244022,3a,75y,13.9h,77.38t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1shi7CUcFKPEjAkgAV0NjURw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Funny story time:

Had a man come in tonight needing....something. Spoke very little English. "I need tire," he says. "Sorry, we don't sell tires here." "No, no... I need tire." "We don't sell tires, bud."

He grabs a can of tire shine and points very specifically to the tire part, "I need this. Is 14." "We don't sell tires, man. Do you need a wrench?" I made a wrenching motion. "No, no..." then he motioned for me to follow him outside.

He gets on the phone and calls his buddy in the lot next to him. The whole time I'm trying to figure out what he needs. Doesn't need a plug kit, lug nuts, nor a wrench (I asked again). None of that. His buddy answers the phone, and the guy points.

His buddy holds up a loving tire and he goes, "I need that."

"We don't sell tires, sir." "Oh okay. You think that NTB sells them?" "Yes, sir they do."

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

iwentdoodie posted:

Hahaha.. thank you for this.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Happy July ladies and gents.

After working in the wedding industry for eight years, Saturday I'm going to my first wedding purely as a spectator since 2006.

I am SUPER excited. Lots of old college friends, and also karaoke.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

gently caress me, is it July already?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Safety Dance posted:

gently caress me, is it July already?

No, not quite.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

angryhampster posted:

After working in the wedding industry for eight years, Saturday I'm going to my first wedding purely as a spectator since 2006.

How the hell have you managed that without murdering anyone? I completely understand why the wedding industry charges such ridiculous prices, it's the PITA tax from bridezillas and moron inlaws

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

The Locator posted:

Hahaha.. thank you for this.

No problem. It made my day a lot better, so I figured it'd help some other goons.

Also, Theo Von's special on Netflix is loving hilarious.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fun cross-post from over in D&D :

quote:

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is about to take a closer look at Tesla's Autopilot, the company revealed on Thursday. In a blog post, Tesla says that it learned on Wednesday evening that the NHTSA is "opening a preliminary evaluation into the performance of Autopilot" following a fatal crash involving a Model S.

The incident, which happened in May, involved a white tractor-trailer that was turning left across a divided highway, perpendicular to the path of the Tesla, which was cruising on Autopilot. "Neither Autopilot nor the driver noticed the white side of the tractor trailer against a brightly lit sky, so the brake was not applied. The high ride height of the trailer combined with its positioning across the road and the extremely rare circumstances of the impact caused the Model S to pass under the trailer, with the bottom of the trailer impacting the windshield of the Model S," Tesla stated.

The company also stated that in a front-on or rear-end collision with the tractor-trailer, the outcome would not have ended in tragedy. It described the driver as "a friend to Tesla and the broader EV community" and expressed sympathy for his friends and family for their loss.

Although Tesla's Autopilot is one of the very best semi-autonomous driving systems on the market, it is not designed for "eyes-off" driving, and owners should be as vigilant on the roads as they would be in any other vehicle.

Remember, autonomous cars are 'right around the corner'.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

I went out camping in the Sierras a few weeks ago with a buddy... we noticed a shitload of directional signs printed on obnoxious neon paper and duct-taped to every other tree the whole way in once we got on the dirt road. It's a simple road with no real branches to speak of, so it was way overkill. There was an obvious big group campsite we passed, so that explained it. I went back to the same place last weekend with my girlfriend for a couple of nights, and lo and behold there were still a bunch of signs stuck up the whole way in, faded and sagging. They took down most but I pulled down three and I'm sure there were more.

I googled the group initials printed on the signs+area+date and found their planning/logistics thread on a forum. I registered and posted a drunken rant about leaving litter everywhere, learning to read a simple topo map and how next time I was going to redirect the signs down a dead-end 4x4 road.

They are so mad :kimchi: THAT PAPER IS BIODEGRADABLE

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Its probably a good thing the dealership I bought my wagon from is a good hour and a half drive away. I found some poo poo tonight that makes me want to murder a bitch. Some half inbred fuckwaffle thought the proper way to remove the bose amp and sub from my car would be to take a loving bolt cutter to the amp wiring harness and then just leave it to short out on the floor of the car. I'm leaning towards it not being the dealership officially doing it since I assume they would have the decency to at least tape the son of a bitch off, but who knows. Regardless, I still want blood.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I mean really, what kind of gently caress-knuckled idiot does that poo poo, sits back and pats himself on a job well loving done? Seriously, useless halfwit fucksticks like that shouldn't even be allowed to walk and talk at the same time without adult loving supervision. I hope they piss on an electric fence, the worthless fucknozzles.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Elmnt80 posted:

I mean really, what kind of gently caress-knuckled idiot does that poo poo, sits back and pats himself on a job well loving done? Seriously, useless halfwit fucksticks like that shouldn't even be allowed to walk and talk at the same time without adult loving supervision. I hope they piss on an electric fence, the worthless fucknozzles.

Jesus Christ. Even if they didn't do that, how does a dealership do a pre-sale inspection and not notice that poo poo?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

They claim it had been sent to another dealership in their network with the radio functioning properly, but they brought it back 3 days later because I was driving down to look at it and the radio had stopped functioning in that time. I figured someone had blown a fuse/relay (it had, by shorting out on the floor of the car) or had disconnected the wiring harness from the amp (:suicide:) by accident while poorly detailing it and they didn't have time to fix it/inspect it in the 2 hours before I got there. Regardless, there is no warranty on it and I'm still way ahead compared to the list of poo poo my truck needed to be anywhere close to whole again.

I may only have 3 functioning brain cells at any given time, two of which are usually busy jerking each other off, but god drat it, this car needs me. It needs someone to love it, protect it and care for it. That person is going to be me. Its my poor abused rescue beater and I'm going to smother it with love, affection and any fun performance parts I can afford. gently caress you world, bring it on. :mad:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

To be honest, I think we've all wanted to do that very thing to a Bose system at one time or another...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Catte has finally been re-acquired from parents.

Mom was very unhappy to see him go and was crying her eyes out. :smithicide: The understanding was he'd be staying with them for a week or two at most after I moved out though. It's been a little over 2 weeks.

Catte exploring kitchen:

A few minutes later, I heard a very upset catte. Found him here, completely stuck:

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Good catte

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Cat Interceptor, as the op could we get a ruling on the Book of the Month please? There have been a number of suggestions but as the op the final selection lies with you.

I also have a recommendation if you don't mind, unless you've already chosen something

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

They are so mad :kimchi: THAT PAPER IS BIODEGRADABLE
What state did they leave the campsite in?

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
My grandmother bought me a big coffee table book called the worst cars ever, its like a shopping list for me.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Cat Interceptor, as the op could we get a ruling on the Book of the Month please? There have been a number of suggestions but as the op the final selection lies with you.

I also have a recommendation if you don't mind, unless you've already chosen something

Suggest away. Low brow book of the Month is Clarkson on Cars, others may prefer somethng a bit more weighty in tone.

I'm going to have a bit of fun and keep editing the OP randomly anyway this moth :D

quote:

My grandmother bought me a big coffee table book called the worst cars ever, its like a shopping list for me.

!!! I've read that one, it's awesome. Also well worth trying to get ahold of is the collective rants from Bill Tuckey about poo poo cars, either written as himself of as Romsey Quaints.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 1, 2016

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
my suggestion is Blindness by Jose Saramago

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

my suggestion is Blindness by Jose Saramago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blindness_%28novel%29

That looks like a good read. Kinda reminds me of Day of the Triffids which is a book I love. Done then.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So a guy pulled up next to me when I got home. And asked if I needed any :420:.

Because I totally want to buy weed from some random dude who pulled up next to me in a parking lot. That's not asking to be robbed (or maybe arrested) at all, no sir. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Work sucks life sucks. Somebody find me a CRV for less than 2200.

• Locked thread