Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

LemonDrizzle posted:

also, Alistair Campbell: not all bad, really!

(a letter, published in the Sun, sent to Kelvin Mackenzie in response to his "oh dear, maybe this wasn't such a good idea" bit)

Says something about how insane the country is at the moment that this sort of language now seems reasonable and appropriate.

E: not that it isn't. It's just that we're seeing the slick PR mask slip now and everybody is panicking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Oh dear clone posted:

Because it's not like other forms of government ever make bad decisions.

Seems to me it's an especially bad time to cast doubt on the value of democracy when we're moving fashwards generally.

Plebiscites were actually a favored tool of fascist regimes. For example, in a move with absolutely no parallels with recent events, in 1933 they held one on leaving the League of Nations.

In general, 'one man, one vote, once' is not what most people mean by democracy. What it does mean is you have to persuade people to change their mind, not ignore them.

Moving the option polls by >4% over the course of next yearm or two really doesn't sound impossible.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
What's everybody's guerrilla codename going to be when the UKIP Gestapo forces the UKMT underground?

Mine's going to be "Facundo".
I'll leave a dead drop of next week's shitposts under the railway bridge at midnight :ssh:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

so what's the power play here? did hardliners not think boris would pull the trigger? is gove expected to be the one to initiate article 50? is a new election explicitly implied in a May victory?

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Corbyn breaths in public area. Did you know you can catch many diseases through airborne transmission? The NHS is already struggling and Corbyn is freely and willingly spreading disease. Corbyn refuses to apologies for this. Ergo we are justified in printing the headline "Corbyn calls for NHS to be dismantled".

Did you know, he also breathes the same air as Islamic extremist hate preachers, I.e. he shares a platform?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Aliquid posted:

so what's the power play here? did hardliners not think boris would pull the trigger? is gove expected to be the one to initiate article 50? is a new election explicitly implied in a May victory?

I think May's specifically said no election until 2020.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Aliquid posted:

May said no election before 2020 and no invocation of Article 50 until next year at the earliest in her campaign announcement speech.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Baron Corbyn posted:

I think May's specifically said no election until 2020.

then what the gently caress does she do with the majority of the electorate? is she assuming brexiters are too old and fat to riot in the streets?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Aliquid posted:

then what the gently caress does she do with the majority of the electorate? is she assuming brexiters are too old and fat to riot in the streets?

She's going to use article 50

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

Aliquid posted:

They'll have died of old age by 2020.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Baron Corbyn posted:

She's going to use article 50

i would expect this from gove as a last resort but this would be nuclear, right?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Grouchio posted:

How does it feel Brits, after having mocked us mercilessly for electing Bush and idiocracy that followed, to now have earned your Bush moment with Brexit, eh? Now you'll get a taste of our bitter medicine from last decade, being even with us and all. May neolibs get hosed. :cawg:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, you reelected Bush and there is a non-zero chance you'll elect Trump.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

MeLKoR posted:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, you reelected Bush and there is a non-zero chance you'll elect Trump.

no, our 2004 was your 2015. even our iraq war logic was a kevin bacon game away from yours.

your brexit vote is a closer analogy to firing on fort sumpter than anything else in us history

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i wonder if tony blair would have been a more principled leftist had we not strongarmed him into baghdad

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
I'm wondering if Murdoch has reached the stage after controlling Britain for so long, he is bored and just wants to enjoy watching it collapse.

Like deleting the ladder from the swimming pool in the Sims.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

quote:

Shami Chakrabarti, former director of Liberty, says she has been to see the Labour MP who walked out of an anti-Semitism event after being accused of "colluding" with the media.

Ruth Smeeth had called for Jeremy Corbyn to "resign immediately" for what she saw as his failure to intervene when "anti-Semitic slurs" were directed towards her in front of him.

Ms Chakrabarti, who authored a report into alleged anti-Semitism within the Labour party, tells BBC Radio 4's Today programme:

I've been to see Ruth Smeeth and I've apologised to her because it was my press conference and I was chairing it and I'm really sorry she was treated in that way."
She defends Mr Corbyn for not intervening, saying: "I probably didn't give him the chance," but adds that the Labour leader had concurred with her when she admonished the male heckler.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Aliquid posted:

i wonder if tony blair would have been a more principled leftist had we not strongarmed him into baghdad

i stayed home from school to watch the army pull down that dumbass statue of saddam in march 2003, and freely admit i was enticed by the blood and glory of the US military before leaving. i kinda get how so many friends were enticed to sign up long-term.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

is "Director of Liberty" an actual thing? good thing labour has good PR

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011

Aliquid posted:

no, our 2004 was your 2015. even our iraq war logic was a kevin bacon game away from yours.

your brexit vote is a closer analogy to firing on fort sumpter than anything else in us history

Melkor is one of the poor sods we've hurt in the EU. :ssh:

She gave a talk on LBC yesterday that goons posted, includes her description of what happened;

http://www.lbc.co.uk/chakrabati-defends-corbyn-over-anti-semitism-133112

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

LemonDrizzle posted:

also, Alistair Campbell: not all bad, really!

(a letter, published in the Sun, sent to Kelvin Mackenzie in response to his "oh dear, maybe this wasn't such a good idea" bit)

i emailed him and called him a oval office

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Aliquid posted:

Liberty is a charitable foundation that campaigns for human rights. Chakraborty is its director.

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

Aliquid posted:

https://www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk/

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Aliquid posted:

it's this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_(advocacy_group)

unaffiliated NGO. note that Chakrabarti was not writing in her capacity as Director but in her capacity as a Labour member chairing the inquiry

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

Labour right in misrepresenting incident for political gain shock.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

LemonDrizzle posted:

Liberty is a charitable foundation that campaigns for human rights. Chakraborty is its director.

well then i assume this is super controversial to Some People

edit do I hear her do news updates on NPR late at night?

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

ronya posted:

it's why they didn't say anything about immigration. because there was nothing to say that would work

They talked about asylum seekers a lot though.

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

In the interests of Correct Facts, Bella Sankey is the current director of Liberty. Shami Chakrabarti stood down earlier this year.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

Aliquid posted:

the predecessor of Liberty (NCCL) is mostly controversial for having a pro-paedophile affiliate when things were weird in the 70s. Obviously they got some sense later and expelled them but still a bit embarrassing. Tories tried to use it as a smear in the last election though iirc (ironically against Labour right-wingers like Harriet Harman).

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Aliquid posted:

The pr machine, on realising that corbyn was essentially repeating her inquiry's words, immediately shut down an attack they had poured a lot of resources into and then deleted as much of the effort as they could, rather than double down or misdirect as normal. Obviously there were other people on the committee and as I vaguely remember the selection was pretty good (at least good enough not to be attacked) but I think the total shutdown is notable- pr shits have tried to smear her and failed before, they don't quite know how to deal with it other than ignore studiously.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

OvineYeast posted:

the predecessor of Liberty (NCCL) is mostly controversial for having a pro-paedophile affiliate when things were weird in the 70s. Obviously they got some sense later and expelled them but still a bit embarrassing. Tories tried to use it as a smear in the last election though iirc (ironically against Labour right-wingers like Harriet Harman).

LOL at the Tories trying to use the idea of someone else being pro-paedophilia in the 70s as a slur. Pot, kettle, etc.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

DesperateDan posted:

The pr machine, on realising that corbyn was essentially repeating her inquiry's words, immediately shut down an attack they had poured a lot of resources into and then deleted as much of the effort as they could, rather than double down or misdirect as normal. Obviously there were other people on the committee and as I vaguely remember the selection was pretty good (at least good enough not to be attacked) but I think the total shutdown is notable- pr shits have tried to smear her and failed before, they don't quite know how to deal with it other than ignore studiously.

Yeah, even John Mann who won't miss any opportunity to stick the knife in to Corbyn, especially over anti-semitism was at the event and praised the report.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Aliquid posted:

It's controversial to the fascist political party that stole their name.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Does the OP really have a chart from frigging MtGox of bitcoin fame? :shobon:

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

feedmegin posted:

Well, the pound is certainly approaching bitcoin in terms of viability as a currency

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

It's close enough to what happened on Friday, including the series of poor decisions and overconfidence that led up to it.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

dispatch_async posted:

They talked about asylum seekers a lot though.

mainly because the BNP were making terrifying advance after advance in 2001-2003, following the Oldham riots. back then the British left regarded this electoral success as totally irrelevant, which strikes me as a little quaint in an age of simply being resigned to UKIP sneering all the way to Brussels

the tactic of the Blair administration was to simply shuffle the categories from asylum seekers to economic migrants whilst quietly expanding the ease with which legal economic migration could happen, then maintaining a kind of ministerial omerta about the latter

again, with the benefit of hindsight, I think it's hard to say that any other policy could have been better, under the constraint of having to hold anti-immigration dickheads at bay on Polling Day

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Would you guys vote for him looks like a fish?

I prob'ly wouldn't

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Would you guys vote for him looks like a fish?

I prob'ly wouldn't

They voted for dead pig fucker.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
in fairness it only came out after he won that he was a pig fucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

ShredsYouSay posted:

I'm wondering if Murdoch has reached the stage after controlling Britain for so long, he is bored and just wants to enjoy watching it collapse.

Like deleting the ladder from the swimming pool in the Sims.

I do wonder what exactly The Sun and The Express are for now. They could go with the angle of 'pressure on politicians to negotiate Brexit FOR BRITUN' but their readers will have fallen asleep before the end of that sentence, and there's not much milage in it. They have a pretty compelling narrative to replace, and nothing to replace it with. The EU was an ideal villain - people know gently caress all about what it really is, and it has virtually no bearing on people's day to day lives, leaving it wide open for tabloid to paint whatever picture they want, safe in the knowledge that politicians would never be dumb enough to... oh poo poo.

I asked in the June thread what Murdoch got out of this, and I got the feeling it was nothing beyond decades of convenient 'us and them' narrative. Now he's going to have to find another enemy.

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jul 1, 2016

• Locked thread