Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

pathetic little tramp posted:

We interrupt this Internet slap fight for new details in the case:

Cranium Decapitosa!
I was about to post again how I'd still love to know how the driver didn't see the truck and take some kind of action, even if there wasn't time to save himself. That makes it kind of the worst case scenario.

I was thinking either he was sleeping, or just before he died he was saying to the camera "now check out how the autopilot will brake just in time to avoid this truck..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Prettz posted:

I was thinking either he was sleeping, or just before he died he was saying to the camera "now check out how the autopilot will brake just in time to avoid this truck..."

Ferris Bueller's Head Off

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

AugmentedVision posted:

Yeah and if politicians addressed actual problems, the voters would go "yeah the entire nation actually agrees with each other, this is a huge problem that needs to be fixed. Oh, you have no actual useful skills or knowledge and have no idea where to even begin? Why do you exist?"

Err, as part of the "STEM master race" I really don't think we should be so quick to dismiss people whose skill sets are built around forming consensus and negotiating.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

CJacobs posted:

Are you seriously going to bat for "generalizing an issue into raw no-context numbers is the best way to tell people about it"

No I'm not "going to bat" for anything, I'm saying AugmentedVision has a good point

AugmentedVision posted:

Yeah and if politicians addressed actual problems, the voters would go "yeah the entire nation actually agrees with each other, this is a huge problem that needs to be fixed. Oh, you have no actual useful skills or knowledge and have no idea where to even begin? Why do you exist?"

No, the voters would still be a bunch of retarded sound bite monkeys like they always have been.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Apparently, the system is a mess. I thought it required you to have your hands on the wheel at all times, but I guess it just checks in from time to time and if it doesn't detect hands, it beeps and slows down a little to get your attention. So you can be watching Hermione boning Harry, then touch the wheel when you hear the beep without ever paying attention.

Elon Musk gonna lose some muthafuckin money.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

akulanization posted:

Err, as part of the "STEM master race" I really don't think we should be so quick to dismiss people whose skill sets are built around forming consensus and negotiating.

Hmm, fair point but as a collective their effect is to foster petty divisions over meaningless poo poo.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

pathetic little tramp posted:

Apparently, the system is a mess. I thought it required you to have your hands on the wheel at all times, but I guess it just checks in from time to time and if it doesn't detect hands, it beeps and slows down a little to get your attention. So you can be watching Hermione boning Harry, then touch the wheel when you hear the beep without ever paying attention.

Elon Musk gonna lose some muthafuckin money.

Jesus christ. I hope you never invest any of your time into how a train is operated.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

akulanization posted:

Maintaining complete situational awareness and being ready to intervene while doing absolutely nothing sounds like absolute hell.

Yeah, if a Navy SEAL can't manage it what chance do the rest of us have? Gonna have to get palace guards to test drive these things, but the hats will never fit. :(

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

VendaGoat posted:

Jesus christ. I hope you never invest any of your time into how a train is operated.

At least trains only need to control their speed, and spend most of the time going through out of the way areas.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

AugmentedVision posted:

Hmm, fair point but as a collective their effect is to foster petty divisions over meaningless poo poo.

Exactly. Just because someone is brilliant in a technical/scientific area doesn't mean they have any clue how human interaction works, which is vital to consensus and negotiating.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

akulanization posted:

At least trains only need to control their speed, and spend most of the time going through out of the way areas.

BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA *deep breathe in* AHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

*hyperventilates*

AHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAH AAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! hahahahahhahahahhah.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Still laughing. AHHHAHAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

VendaGoat posted:

BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA *deep breathe in* AHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

*hyperventilates*

AHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAH AAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! hahahahahhahahahhah.

I'm not meaning to imply that I think that operating a train is a simple or easy task, but am I just factually wrong when I say that they are responsible for controlling their speed and not necessarily routing?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

gnarlyhotep posted:

I'd rather just drive my car, I've been doing it for over 30 years and it's not that loving hard. What would be cool would be to have cars that you can summon to you and then get in and drive.

Okay that's fine now, but what about when you've been driving 60 years, your eyesight is failing and your reaction time has gone to poo poo? Right now people who can't (or shouldn't) drive are stuck being a burden on others, or getting a rascal, or just sitting home alone waiting to die. Self-driving cars could eventually give a lot of freedom to some less able people.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

akulanization posted:

I'm not meaning to imply that I think that operating a train is a simple or easy task, but am I just factually wrong when I say that they are responsible for controlling their speed and not necessarily routing?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

AAAAAAAAAAHHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAAHHA~!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

akulanization posted:

AHAHHAHA gimme another minute.....

:laffo:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Lol guys trains have been driving themselves for years cars can do it too if they believe!!

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Looking forward to when we're all just downloaded into the grid and are on self-driving light cycles

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I wanna see the pics of the headless body

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
not having retards kill themselves and others in car crashes is nice and all but it would be nicer if self-driving cars were used as an excuse to expand public transport and bump gas taxes 500% but yeah thats not going to happen

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

akulanization posted:

Look, even I do not know the minutia of operating a train over a long distance.

But, just between the different class one railroads involved. The different speed requirements. the operator requirements. the multi-state requirements of operation. The Federal requirements. the Insurance requirements, since they are hauling literal billions of dollars of cargo. The multi-national requirements, since much of their cargo is also imports.

Jesus, I could go on for an hour.

Water tables of states vs the OSHA requirements of what they are hauling. Derail one oil hauler in a aquifer area and see what the gently caress the Federal government does to you. Let alone derailing a LPG line in a residential area.

That and the rail industry is trying to equip all engines with a GPS system to negate all the horrible bullshit, like what just happened in Amarillo.

Suffice to say. Akulanization I respect that you are coming from a perspective of caring and attempting to accomplish the same goal as the rest of us, I simply feel that you are a bit ignorant of the current state of affairs, in the larger picture. That is all.

I'm still very glad that you care strongly enough about this to voice such an opinion.

Now my "SA response". AHAHHAHAHHAHAHHA Shut up and let the adults talk.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Train argument is invalid since some engineer was sending dick pics to a kid instead of paying attention to the signals recently and rear ended another train killing a bunch of people.

Wouldn't have happened with AI train engineers

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Facebook Aunt posted:

Okay that's fine now, but what about when you've been driving 60 years, your eyesight is failing and your reaction time has gone to poo poo? Right now people who can't (or shouldn't) drive are stuck being a burden on others, or getting a rascal, or just sitting home alone waiting to die. Self-driving cars could eventually give a lot of freedom to some less able people.

You are obviously ignoring the part about the matter transporters. That is key.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Why not just put side barriers on trailers like in Europe so you cannot drive under them ever.

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

For the people wondering why he didn't see the truck, inattentive pilots is a huge problem. It's the main reason Google's first prototype didn't have a steering wheel and why they're lobbying to reverse wheel requirements.

quote:

Three years ago, our retrofitted Lexus self­-driving cars were doing so well in testing that we loaned them out to other Googlers, to see what they thought of the experience. And we discovered that our plan to have the car do almost all the driving and have the person take over for emergencies was a really bad plan. It just wasn’t safe. People didn’t do their part, staying alert in case the car needed to hand control back to them.

https://backchannel.com/the-secret-to-moonshots-killing-our-projects-49b18dc7f2d6#.7k6iq3bxj

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Like none of you would do this if you had the chance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXls4cdEv7c

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Like I needed more proof that most people are dumb

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

ORIGINAL GANGSTER posted:

For the people wondering why he didn't see the truck, inattentive pilots is a huge problem. It's the main reason Google's first prototype didn't have a steering wheel and why they're lobbying to reverse wheel requirements.

https://backchannel.com/the-secret-to-moonshots-killing-our-projects-49b18dc7f2d6#.7k6iq3bxj

Well, I'm not sure why no one mentioned that people will not pay close attention to something they consider routine after a while. I'd rather just drive my own drat self than act like a sentry in a warzone every time I wanted to get anywhere.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

akulanization posted:

Well, I'm not sure why no one mentioned that people will not pay close attention to something they consider routine after a while. I'd rather just drive my own drat self than act like a sentry in a warzone every time I wanted to get anywhere.

And you should be allowed to do so. We should not remove manually driven cars. :) :patriot:

Woden
May 6, 2006

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Train argument is invalid since some engineer was sending dick pics to a kid instead of paying attention to the signals recently and rear ended another train killing a bunch of people.

Wouldn't have happened with AI train engineers

If the train AI is as racists against whitey as the Tesla it wouldn't have made a difference.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

spud posted:

Why not just put side barriers on trailers like in Europe so you cannot drive under them ever.

:freep: 'Cuz America is the land of the free and we're too regulated by the dummycrats and Obammy :freep:

Seriously, I'm not sure why. I know that the trucking industry has a lot of freelancers who are termed "owner-operators", where they both own the truck and drive it. Some even their own trailers, while most trailers are owned by the company, like Amazon, or a distribution company, so if there was a new regulation handed down, I'm not sure who would pay for it.

I know that something similar, side fairings or side skirts, are becoming more and more popular because they have minimal weight but help reduce drag that leads to lower fuel consumption, which allows for higher profits once the fuel expenses are calculated. But, actual bars that prevent people driving under them is probably got going to happen without government intervention and they really don't want to stick their dicks into that.

It would probably be easier for Tesla to add reinforced roof bars that could absorb the impact of a collision to prevent another drive-under than get a federal mandate for safety equipment for trailers.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 1, 2016

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Ive said it before and I'll say it again, self driving cars and electric cars will NEVER be thing for the masses.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Prorat posted:

Ive said it before and I'll say it again, self driving cars and electric cars will NEVER be thing for the masses.

What's wrong with electric cars? They are great for tooting around town. If your family wants to spend their vacation driving across america to see the Grand Canyon an electric car isn't a good choice, but they are fine for city driving.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

if driverless cars occasionally produce the spectacle of a mangled hulk of twisted steel ferrying the splattered remains of its former master into the maw of oblivion, it will all be worth it

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

This loving idiot named his Tesla "Tessy" and I'm not upset that he's dead at all.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Prorat posted:

I've just forewarded this information on my telegraph

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

VelociBacon posted:

This loving idiot named his Tesla "Tessy" and I'm not upset that he's dead at all.

Yeah, but he was also a former Navy SEAL. What if he's the one who shot Osama Bin Laden? What if this is Allah's revenge???

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, but he was also a former Navy SEAL. What if he's the one who shot Osama Bin Laden? What if this is Allah's revenge???

Would have thought he'd have decent reactions if he was trained like that. Guess he didn't make the cut.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Lots of luxury cars can drive themselves on the highway at this point (at least during the day if it's not raining and the road is clean etc etc etc) but BMW and Mercedes didn't call their thing Autopilot so people understand that they should still be paying attention. Tech like collision detection and blind spot alerting isn't even just in the luxury range anymore, the technology is only going to get better and make things safer overall, but there's always the risk of people doing stupid stuff like watching Harry Potter, or not knowing how to handle things when automation fails / does something unexpected (see air france 447)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Are there clear details on what happened in the accident? Even by the truck's own account it kinda sounds like he just didnt check for traffic before just swinging in front of the tesla.

If this accident happened without autopilot being involved who would be liable is basically what im getting at.

• Locked thread