Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I've been reading a lot of people insisting that you can be happy (and even feel happier) as you age compared to when you were young, but it feels like there is a subtext of them being emotionally resigned.

Like no matter what you will have less fun, or no matter what you will feel less passionate, but you can still be happier so long as you accept that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
You know they invented a happy pill but its not releasable because if everybody was perfectly happy for no reason society would fail.

Think about that the next time you're depressed on those garbage anti depressants

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

You know they invented a happy pill but its not releasable because if everybody was perfectly happy for no reason society would fail.

Think about that the next time you're depressed on those garbage anti depressants

Take your soma and dance with a "pneumatic" woman.

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!
It turns out the things young people think make a person happy, which also are hard to get - having sex with hot people, professional success, wealth, fame - actually do not create happiness.

As people age they discover the real things that bring happiness. Emotionally-authentic relationships, work that feels meaningful to you, a sense of community. Those things are available to almost everyone who earnestly pursues them. It's not that old people have lowered their expectations, they've just changed their priorities.

IM A HUGE PRICK

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

It's called cocaine and possession of any quantity in the US is a felony.

OP, as you get older your expectations will lower themselves on their own without even having to make a concerted choice.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

it's definitely a factor.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
Every decision you have made up until now has brought you to this point. Do you like where you are currently? If not, examine which decisions you have made in the past which you would change. If you do like where you are currently then all those bad decisions actually worked out, right?

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
*a mist appears*

hello i am in the mist

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

hi mist im scroto

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

*a mist appears*

hello i am in the mist

Hey

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

proctorbot posted:

It turns out the things young people think make a person happy, which also are hard to get - having sex with hot people, professional success, wealth, fame - actually do not create happiness.

As people age they discover the real things that bring happiness. Emotionally-authentic relationships, work that feels meaningful to you, a sense of community. Those things are available to almost everyone who earnestly pursues them. It's not that old people have lowered their expectations, they've just changed their priorities.

HOPE THIS HELPS

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost

proctorbot posted:

IM A HUGE PRICK

right really or are we actually just rationalizing our inevitable failure to achieve our dreams? is there even a difference??

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
happiness is the act of turning away from the bleakness of human existence for a time. it never lasts, because the bleakness is everywhere. so hey, good for you if you can sustain such a precarious artificial state.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

happiness is the act of turning away from the bleakness of human existence for a time. it never lasts, because the bleakness is everywhere. so hey, good for you if you can sustain such a precarious artificial state.

Alcohol and Pot really helps.

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy
I've heard that taking your unhappiness out on your children is the new "in" thing to do.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I've been reading a lot of people insisting that you can be happy (and even feel happier) as you age compared to when you were young, but it feels like there is a subtext of them being emotionally resigned.

Like no matter what you will have less fun, or no matter what you will feel less passionate, but you can still be happier so long as you accept that.

Well, you spend a not-insignificant amount of time posting on the GBS forum in 2016, which is somehow, astonishingly, the worst the GBS forum has ever been, and you post alongside this loving creep

VendaGoat posted:

Take your soma and dance with a "pneumatic" woman.

and seriously this guy is the fuckin worst, so take a minute to consider even the 3 minutes it took for you to squirt out this dumb thread

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Walk away

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

i dont really think i can get anymore unhappy though?????

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
/

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
a crunk bird has never recovered, nor forgiven being brutally loving owned by gnarlyhotep

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

a crunk bird has never recovered, nor forgiven being brutally loving owned by gnarlyhotep
i need a link

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

gnarlyhotep is a sad old man and if you're talking about my avatar being changed to sucking dicks, I liked it and thought it was funny unlike any post you've ever made

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

gnarlyhotep is a sad old man and if you're talking about my avatar being changed to sucking dicks, I liked it and thought it was funny unlike any post you've ever made

Considering that response....

ANIME IS BLOOD, please, a Link.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ein cooler Typ posted:

embrace nihilism op

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
or dont i dont give a poo poo

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

VendaGoat posted:

Hit on more desperate attention starved girls in the Post Your Picture Thread

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

VendaGoat posted:

https://archives.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3718050

I don't know if that's exactly what I was thinking about but whatever I'm going to bed

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Even though helldump was full of obsessive weirdos like Jeb Lund I wish it still existed so someone could collect all of vendagoat's disgusting creepy posts in one convenient thread and run him off the forums

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

https://archives.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3718050

I don't know if that's exactly what I was thinking about but whatever I'm going to bed

Whelp.

If the ten bucks I am currently saving for a vacation wasn't already earmarked I would buy the bird back that avatar. ....

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

VendaGoat posted:

Whelp.

If the ten bucks I am currently saving for a vacation wasn't already earmarked I would buy the bird back that avatar. ....

You are a piece of poo poo

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

You are a piece of poo poo

coming from you.....

I take this as very high praise.

Thank you.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Even though helldump was full of obsessive weirdos like Jeb Lund I wish it still existed so someone could collect all of vendagoat's disgusting creepy posts in one convenient thread and run him off the forums
helldump was the best

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Man should avoid the material pleasures of the world, and focus on the soul.

*drnks hemlock*

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Nah, a lot of early adulthood is focused on "getting". Getting the degree, the job, the partner, the house, the consumer comforts, the family. As you age, you're more focused on enjoying the things you actually want in your life and discarding those which you don't and you realise that happiness doesn't depend on marking off things on a checklist compiled by others.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Like no matter what you will have less fun, or no matter what you will feel less passionate,

But you also stop giving a poo poo about that stuff, so it balances out.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Like I always wanted to go skydiving, but instead I just waited until I got old enough to not give a gently caress about it.

It'd probably be very liberating if I could still care about feeling liberated.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Frankenstyle posted:

Like I always wanted to go skydiving, but instead I just waited until I got old enough to not give a gently caress about it.

It'd probably be very liberating if I could still care about feeling liberated.

tbh just wait 5-10 years until vr isnt hella expensive and then put on some goggles and go to one of those wind tunnels itd be the exact same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
The key to happiness is not giving a rat gently caress.

• Locked thread