Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I look forward to the new and exciting avatars this month will bring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ansiktsburk posted:

What was last month's? I missed it. I'm such a lovely lurker I can't even keep up with the USPOL threads on an election year. Especially this one.

Speaking of, I am looking forward to the Republican convention like it's the loving Rapture and I'm waiting for Jesus to take me home.

<-----------------

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Narciss posted:

Hillary Clinton is under federal investigation by the FBI.

Her husband meets with the woman who will decide whether or not to pursue charges for 30 minutes, and he does so secretly on a parked plane with 0 press coverage. Lynch then says all they talked about was grandkids and golf.

These are indisputable facts. If you fail to take these facts and form the opinion "this stinks a little bit", I have to question your sanity.

It's also really suspicious that afterwards she said she'd follow the recommendations of the FBI, which is out of her hands. This is definitely a huge conspiracy.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Talmonis posted:

The optics are horrid. This is a prime example of the Democratic tendency to do everything in their power to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

"Optics are horrid"...? For who? Who could possibly care about this? They could be talking on the phone for two hours every day and nobody would know. They talk for thirty minutes in person, and it's a big deal?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

It's a objective fact that the optics are terrible. Why is it so hard to admit that?

Forget Bill or Hillary or Lynch or any specific person and look at it as it is being seen -- a meeting took place, which was purposefully tried to be kept secret, between the AG and the husband of the person who is the subject of a investigation.

There is no political theory in which that doesn't equate to bad optics.

The optics are bad. Sure. Horrible optics is something like Trump saying all Mexicans are rapists broadcast on TV where people are going to talk about it for years.

This is something people are going to whine about for about thirty more minutes and then nobody will know it ever happened, except for a few screeds on news article comments. It's bad but it just don't matter and nobody will know or care a week from now. It's just not a big deal.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jarmak posted:

The optics aren't bad, people are loving retarded.

People realize that prosecutors in charge of making charging decisions in big cases frequently meet with the person they're considering charging and/or their lawyer right? Like "tell me why I shouldn't charge you for this" is a feature not corruption so trying to insinuate that this meeting was secretly about the investigation is really really dumb because meeting with the Clintons about the case wouldn't been in any way inappropriate even if it had happened (though maybe premature).

Optics don't have anything to do with reality, it's just about what an uninformed idiot thinks about a situation given a one sentence summary. Given that, it looks bad. It doesn't look horrible because they also won't give a poo poo five seconds later.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Sorus posted:

Still don't get how it looks bad. Man bumps into woman he knows that also moves in the same professional circles and has overlapping acquaintances, and have a chat.

Try pretending you're retarded and you hate Clinton.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Apparently we have -- USPol as it turns out isn't any better than YCS, and no matter what, any Clinton-related news can't possibly be conceived as negative.

Let's all go back to circlejerking about Trump's hands, the real political hot takes that matter.

My post was trying to point out the nuance between "bad" and "horrible" not to claim it wasn't negative.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

^^^^^ Come the gently caress on, you can't be the goddamn stupid ^^^^

The reporter who initially discovered the meeting was told no filming or pictures. Information being spread doesn't negate the fact that it was initially tried to kept secret.

I'm arguing with a loving fence post here. There's no positives to what they did. If they hadn't have done this there would've been something else republicans would have harped on. This entire discussion could have been avoided easily if Bill had just went on his way. There's no goddamn hidden conspiracy that I'm trying to argue here.

I'm just trying to get it through your head that maybe, just loving maybe it looks bad. LOOKS. That's it.

It looks bad the same way that having a hair on your shirt looks bad. It doesn't matter and nobody cares.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Apparently it's Throwback Friday.

Low energy. Sad.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Thaddius the Large posted:

God drat, I forgot it was time for that again. Yodarape was pretty funny, but I'm glad to see the animetars go.

We're not going anywhere

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

i guess hanging is a little more specific than most folks' opinions ive heard here in nc, but yeah killary is more of a portmanteau of what they wanna do than some kinda insult, at least around these parts

I think this is one of those situations where it's actually a devious trick and repeating it just makes Killary stronger

Edit: It sounds like an anti-hero superhero name where her power is she makes you shoot yourself in the head

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

LA is an open carry state btw

There was absolutely nothing illegal about him having a gun and having it prominently displayed even if that was the case

You'll find that being black in public is actually highly illegal

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

SedanChair posted:

Wow he just put his knee on his chest, pulled out his pistol and domed him. I'll be interested to hear what the department says.

"I thought it was a taser" worked pretty well last time. Maybe he'll change it up and say he thought it was a squirt gun.

Edit: nevermind, that guy spent a whole year in prison, which is unacceptable these days. I'm sure they'll think of something!

Lemming fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 6, 2016

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

LA is an open carry state btw

There was absolutely nothing illegal about him having a gun and having it prominently displayed even if that was the case

Also, all guns should be illegal, and cops should not be allowed to carry guns

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

DemeaninDemon posted:

Was the conviction a felony? Looks like Louisiana is a felon->no guns state. gently caress idaho is.

Edit: I'm not saying the cop was right just saying that the dude shouldn't have had a gun if he's a felon.

He also shouldn't have had a gun if he wasn't a felon.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

SedanChair posted:

Everybody's saying extremely useful things right now; certainly, of equal use to the fact that a man was murdered by police.

Unfortunately I think you're in the wrong place if you're looking for people with useful things to say

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Stereotype posted:

The terrified cop yelling at the dead man he just murdered really makes me feel great about police.

http://www.startribune.com/aftermath-of-officer-involved-shooting-captured-on-phone-video/385789251/

As far as I can tell they took him to the hospital so he might not be dead

Edit: guess I didn't see the newer stuff. gently caress

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm not arguing for or against punishment in any specific set of circumstances, I'm arguing against the idiotic notion put forward by vorebane that, because bad thing X happened, someone must be punished. I'm also not clear on which "these instances" you're referring to.

I care more about consistent rules and laws, and not setting precedent by enshrining bad ideas in law, than I do about indulging the feeling that "something must be done." The former are far more damaging in the long run than the latter.

Yes, we already know you don't care about the lives of black people, you've made that abundantly clear. A cop kills a black man, and you're on the scene to make sure that the important thing is done: telling people who're upset that a black person was extrajudicially killed that they're the truly dangerous ones

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

Not agreeing with bad ideas put forward by people who feel a strong emotional reaction to a news story isn't racism, and it's a little hosed up that you're trying to conflate the two.

The vast majority of the time that you slither out of your hole is when a cop does something bad and you feel the need to step in and declare that actually, it's fine and anybody who's upset about it is just being an idiot and has stupid ideas. You don't make any effort to offer constructive ideas about what you think could be done or how things could be changed (and you obviously could, since you clearly do have a good understanding of how things work), you just get some sort of perverse glee out of telling people who are upset that black people keep getting killed by cops that they're stupid and cops are actually great.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

So if I understand it right -

2 E-mails were marked classified at the time they were sent to her. They were both inaccurately marked, and shouldn't have been labeled classified.

So, basically, Hillary is being attacked because she was sent 2 E-mails by a single member of her staff who made a mistake and forgot to remove classification on non-classified information.

She's being attacked because she's Hillary and that makes Republicans very mad

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Good

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

fishmech posted:

Actually, no, that's not true. If it was anyone but them, noone would have given a gently caress, because there wouldn't have been desperate reaching to try to convict them of a crime. Learn to think.

Never

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Lmao if it were up to men Trump would be president, jfc

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Now the feed is saying police officers on the scene told a photographer that they're in negotiations with the second suspect.

"Ok, one more cop, but you have to swear it's the last one"

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

*sigh*

that is one possible interpretation of some of the things said in the retelling of the flood, but it's hardly the universally accepted interpretation, both from religious or scholarly analysis of the text

I take the Diablo 3 interpretation and say that the Nephilim brought it upon themselves

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Internet Webguy posted:

In non-regressive platform news: Green party's Jill Stein invites Bernie Sanders to take over ticket

Seems to me like a terrible idea to split the vote but it really is the only option that Bernie has 3rd party-wise. If he really wants to burn all his bridges with the DNC, this is definitely the thing to do.

You mean "if he wants to try to get Trump elected" which I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to do

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

This endorsement is good... for Trump!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Arrgytehpirate posted:

How was that endorsement tepid?

You're questioning that a Bernout is mostly disengaged with reality?

Edit: oh hat lol change that to "Trumpist is fully disengaged"

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

If there's one thing sudden fads do well, it's last for months.

No, wait

Yeah, come 1999 nobody will remember Pokemon even existed

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Lmao "uh yeah I finished my essay, but the file on my thumb drive got corrupted and then my dog ate it. I need an extension."

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

wtf these graphs don't make any sense sitting next to each other

Edit: also this

The more people like Trump the less they like Republican House/Senate members? Wat?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

JAMOOOL posted:

I don't watch FOX or follow many right-wing sources, but do people on that side honestly think this convention is going well?

Reality does not influence their feelings or ideas.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

greatn posted:

I don't think "opposite guy is bad" is ever a more compelling argument than "this person is pretty good"

The reality is that the potential upside of Hillary Clinton is way more modest than the potential downside of Donald Trump, due to Congress and Senate likely remaining GOP controlled, so in this case it's hard to argue concrete things that will be better with Clinton vs concrete things that will be worse with Trump.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
After exhaustive research and an objective, dispassionate view of the facts, I've concluded that the orange baby who wants to jail dissidents and institute a squad of blackshirts to crack down on minorities just has the better policy positions.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Again, this sort of poo poo has never convinced anyone of anything.

Right, because people like you have already made up your mind so there's no convincing you.

Edit: ^^^^^^^ lol I'm so late

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Armyman25 posted:

As opposed to Hillary, who called for regime change in Syria during one of the policy debates with Sanders?

Your right, Trump is better, because I think his policy of "if someone invades a NATO country we'll think about supporting them if they pay us enough $$$$$$$" is good and smart

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Please don't be rude.

See, this sort of poo poo I just don't understand. Do you want to understand why someone might not like Clinton so you can convince more people to vote for her? Or do you just want to prance about on what you think is the moral high ground and feel good about your righteous indignation? I guess I could go away and you could return to your circlejerk of only talking to people who agree with you, but I don't really think that's productive or very interesting to read, really.

I'll work on an effortpost to try and explain it.

Lmao I'm super looking forward to this. "It's not that I'm a horrific authoritarian racist, honest! I just support the guy all the other authoritarian racists support, completely coincidentally!"

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Fangz posted:

Has literally anyone in any of these threads used 'it's her turn' as an argument for Clinton.

People actually do pay attention and like her policies? Like, you know, a pretty big one would be no religious persecution of muslims, like Trump proposes. That sounds like a pretty good policy to me. What exactly does it take to earn your vote if things like that are irrelevant?

Well as a white man I feel really good about the guy who says that all my problems are caused by people I can oppress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Seems like a prudent thing to include in your will. "I don't care if Obummer aborted me himself with a gay wedding cake, I would still never support any Republican candidate for any reason."

• Locked thread